1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill allocation advice IV

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    Having played chaos teams with ST5 Claw MB warriors there are very very few times I've thought "I wish this guy had stand firm and dodge". You don't get many blocks per turn because people dodge away from you - it's nice if they hurt. I dislike tentacles on its own as people don't care about being hit unless you have MB and either claw or tackle.

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Block Dodge Guard Stand Firm Tentacles is a way to annoy Elves and other of their ilk. You'll sacrifice one MB, but get a reliable and fast Beast of Nurgle.

3. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I love st5 tents the team can be full of mb but tents gives a whole different dimension.

4. LloydsGamble

LloydsGamble Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    LloydsGamble
    Country Flag:
    Think I'll aim for that build, not played with Tentacles much before.

Thanks for the input everyone

5. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    It is a legendary build though, since I forgot the +1 ST that makes tentacles viable. :(

6. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    It's fair enough I guess. I see the chaos warriors' job as being to hold the line against bash teams, while the beastmen's job is to deal with elves. To compensate for the lack of bite on your warriors you might think about getting a bit extra on the pure bash side.

7. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

Wrestle Thrall (#6) hit Level 3 and rolled 5+5. I can't decide between +MV, Guard and Dodge. I use 0SPP Rookies on the LoS on when kicking, and some combination of Wrestle Thralls and/or Blodge Vamps when receiving depending on match-up.

8. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Don't forget leader.

But generally vampire teams always want all stats, and definitely want all the +Move and +Ag they can get.

9. Ben

Ben New Member

Country Flag:
    Rolled a double as first skill for a Saurus on a relatively rookie (two games played) Lizardman team. Should I ignore it and take Block? I already have two with Block, so I'm tempted to go for Dodge (which could be really fun if I can get Block and Break Tackle later).

I have 5 Saurus (two of whom have Block already), 5 Skinks (no advances) + journeyman Skink, an Apo, and 4 RRs. Our league allows you to choose your MVP, so I've been focusing on developing the Sauruses.

10. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Yes unfortunately the wise thing to do is to take block. Dodge is eventually good but it won't help you out as much early, either in terms of reliability or spp gain, as block. Dodge is a good second skill if you take a lot of it but even then saurus want so many skills that it's not wrong to ignore doubles until level 4 or even 5.

Skilling sauruses is a long and painful process though getting to choose your MVP will help a lot so you can probably take more doubles than most. Still block now though.

11. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    Pretty much the only skills you can take as the first on a saurus are +ST, block, break tackle (after you've got 4 or 5 block) and maybe one wrestle (I've tried one, it's not bad but I wouldn't do it again). It hurts to pass up doubles but it's for the best sadly.

12. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Yes only time i would take dodge first is if i have 5 Block Saurii already.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  13. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I would probably only take it if I already had blodgers, or if the player in question got to 9-10 SPP or more when earning the first skill, so the second is close enough.

I do also understand those who won't take dodge before third skill, and even then only if one of the first two was guard or break tackle.

14. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    Block would be great, but since you can choose your MVP it's not too long of a road to get block if you take Dodge now, is it? I would be pretty tempted personally.

15. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    Skaven question!

My Rat Taqueria in the OCC 4B has a kick/wrestle linerat and another linerat that just reached level 2. My other linerats are all 0 SPP.

In the same game that the second linerat reached level 2 my current kick/wrestle linerat received a -MA.

I don't mind a -MA on a linerat on the LOS, but I'm not as excited about it on my linerat that's back a bit and has the speed and wrestle to be a safety if needed. I'm also not excited about going a match without kick (I'll be playing a much higher TV vampire team next, 1320 vs 1800 TV).

Would it be crazy to just take kick on my newly skilled linerat? I wouldn't really plan on firing the -MA wrestle/kick linerat, but having another kicker will protect me a bit in case I lose one. Though once they are both back one or both will be likely to end up on the LOS at some point. It would be wrestle otherwise.

I've been running the team lean at 11 players and saving my treasury for GR and SV. I've been inducing a linerat or two most matches to get over 11 players.

16. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    A merc line rat with kick costs you 13k. If you have plenty of inducements it could be worth a look. Not only does it get you kick it gets you a bench as well which is always handy for Skaven. I might even get some more mercs if you are getting 480k inducements.

17. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Do you have a dp, or did we already have the discussion and you said you found it hard to foul with skaven? Regardless I think the wrestle kick guy is still perfectly serviceable and would keep him and not duplicate kick. You should be OK against vamps even without it.

18. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    I would also keep the MV6 linerat. It's not like he'll live very long anyway.

19. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    Ya, I'm not planning on cutting him, but I was considering duplicating the kick skill so that hopefully I always have one around. But I am pretty much a significant TV underdog most of the time, so inducing one could make sense for the times its missing.

20. LloydsGamble

LloydsGamble Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    LloydsGamble
    Country Flag:
    Revisiting an old debate here, but what order to people usually take Blodge on Elves? High Elves in my case.

I have 2 Blodge Blitzers and a Dodge Catcher at the moment but not quite sure what order I want those skills on the Lineelves.

I would lean towards getting more Dodge first to help with safer repositioning, but with maybe half the team with Dodge, I'd then take some Block on the next 2-3 to level. Is that about right?

Follow up question for those who take Dodge first, do you use these players on the LOS vs teams with no tackle or do you prefer to put only unskilled players there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.