1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill allocation advice IV

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    As a Hybid/Bash coach I can tell you what I would prefer to face. I think in part it depends what TV you are facing. At higher TVs you will be lucky to not face any Tackle so Block is probably more useful. If you are playing low TV teams than dodge becomes more useful as a first skill. However you need a reasonable amount of Block for hitting teams away. Without it Bash teams will be happier to base your team with their tackle pieces.

Have you considered Wrestle on lineElfs. It allows you to take down slow opposition players which can mess up their plans.

Put rookies on the line. Even with skills it is too easy to hurt them.

2. LloydsGamble

LloydsGamble Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    LloydsGamble
    Country Flag:
    I would likely take a couple of Wrestle LineElfs at some point yeah, and probably 2 Catchers too. I wasn't quite sure if Block or Wrestle was better for the High Elf LOS since they are on the slow side (for Elves) and I'm playing my HE in a quite bashy running style with the option of switching the play with a hand-off/pass as Plan B.

I have predominately played bash until recently so maybe I'm too attached to Block, I am aware of the value of Wrestle though for sure. I suppose for my play-style then I should go for Block/Wrestle first. I don't particularly enjoy those turns where I need to reposition with half my team without Dodge though, but guess I can manage a bit longer :p

3. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Yeah unless in a tackle rich environment I like dodge first as I find I need to reposition more often than I have opportunities to block. I also prefer wrestle to block on all elf linos unless they have guard.

4. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    I usually go Dodge first followed by Wrestle. That gives me 2 chances to roll doubles for Guard at which point I'd then get Block rather than Wrestle and before Dodge if I don't already have it.

Also except for stopping 1 turners you always want your least valuable players on LOS, which means rookies if you have them.

5. LloydsGamble

LloydsGamble Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    LloydsGamble
    Country Flag:
    Oh I always put rookies on the LOS, I just figured some Dodge LineElfs could reposition easily and relatively safely and also have a good chance of staying on their feet. I suppose it's not worth the risk of them being depitched though.

So when you hear advice about developing LOS players with the likes of Wrestle/Block/Fend, you only actually put them there when the rest of the team is developed?

Good point about Guard, didn't consider that.

I'll keep going for Dodge then for now and try and alter my play-style a bit to actually be...elfy.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  6. JimmyFantastic

JimmyFantastic Member

Country Flag:
    Deffo want more Block than DE or WE would take as u don't have the speed of WE or the 4 starting Block of DE.

7. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    Depends on the prevalence of tackle in the team's league or environment. If it's high tackle, take block/wrestle first, then dodge. If not, dodge first.

8. jounisii

jounisii Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    jounisii
    Country Flag:
    Silly lino discussion - DP is the way to :p

9. Arthur Wynne

Arthur Wynne Member

Country Flag:
    Two skill-ups on a high-TV dark elf team.
    - Witch Elf with Block, +MV, +ST, Leap rolled normals. I'm thinking Tackle is better than either Strip Ball or Sidestep at this point. Any other suggestions?
    - Blitzer with Dodge and Tackle also rolled normals, this one is trickier. Conventional wisdom suggest Sidestep, but I've rarely had good results with it. Considering Catch or Diving Tackle.

10. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    You've rarely had good results with sidestep? I know when I face a blodge sidestepper I won't bother to hit them unless I have tackle, as I'm likely to improve their positioning rather than my own. I certainly won't waste a blitz on them unless it's critical to scoring or stopping a score immediately.

11. Arthur Wynne

Arthur Wynne Member

Country Flag:
    Well. Sometimes it's really useful, improving my positioning like you say and (at best) giving my opponent fits. Far more often though, it feels like the choice of where to go is irrelevant and the skill is wasted. I can definitely see the value in theory, but it hasn't often worked out for me.

Then again maybe I just ought to take it more and get more data, so to speak.

12. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I love Sidestep players. They allow you to spread your defence out further and can give your opponents a real headache. In your classic elf defence opponents want to get round the edge of your defence. However a SS blodge player on the end of your line means that even if they get them down they can still get in the way. If the play is broken up then your SS can mark up and be a real pain.

13. Arthur Wynne

Arthur Wynne Member

Country Flag:
    I'll take Sidestep then, see how it works for me. Maybe I was just too much of a newbie to see how to use it before.

14. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    Not to mention the fact that it allows you to use the sidelines with significantly less risk!

15. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Also, sidestep becomes more annoying the more of it you have.
    A good opponent will easily make a single sidestepper useless bu positioning of assists, but the more you have the less likely they are to succeed with that.

Also, with a +ST leaping witch she should be spending a lot of time surfing people, meaning sidestep might be good in case she ends up close. (Or to position her for a surf on your turn if she gets blocked)
    So even if tackle might be good, there's cause to consider and maybe pick sidestep. (I generally snag it as third skill on dancers and witches)

16. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    I have had great success with my +ST leap witch in the OCC. She currently is almost legend and has: block, sidestep, +ST, leap, tackle. She's a holy terror on ballcarriers and anywhere near the sideline. I highly recommend that build.

17. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    My UKBBL team Loads of Lizzies is curently sitting on 3-1-1 in the top 3 or 4 of the premiership and attrition is high as you can see with all the injuries to the meat wall that are my Saurii. #5 Gary Moore levelled off the only CAS last match and threw a double...now block would be sensible...but a str 5 blodger (if he ever gets there) would be rather nice...

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  18. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    Block, sadly. Saurus take so long to level luxury picks have to wait their turn.

19. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    Block on the Saurus. Even though Dodge is tempting for BT later with STR5, the effectiveness is lowered due to MA5. Also, like NieA7 said, levels come slowly for Sauri, so Block is much more solid.

20. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Yes your probaly right. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.