1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill allocation advice IV

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    Cheers for the suggestions. Jounisii how is Baby Seal Clubber doing?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  2. jounisii

jounisii Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    jounisii
    Country Flag:
    Hah. Baby Seal Clubber is still alive and kicking. ST2 and MA6, but he has made it to superstar with AG5, wrodge, leap, SH - being Suckers' ball scooper. Good to know that his fan club is still around :D

Ravers likes this.
  3. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Spider Swindlegrin, Underworld goblin, makes it to level 5 at the end of the Big Crunch season.

His current skills:
    (Dodge, Stunty)
    Dirty Player
    +1 AGI
    Big Hand

What to take next? Roll was normal, so I can take and Agility or Mutation skill.

Some thoughts:

Sneaky Git - This was going to be his second skill, but the AGI bump took him in a different direction.

Foul Appearance - This might just help him survive to level 6!

Sidestep - Only have one sidestepper on the team right now, plus this will possibly help him live longer.

Sure Feet - Spider is the team's only fouler and the best ball retriever, and this skill would give him more reliable movement to better do both jobs.

Something Else - ???

4. Arthur Wynne

Arthur Wynne Member

Country Flag:
    Sidestep is good, but better when you have a lot of it and it goes better with DT, which I wouldn't take on a +AG goblin. Sure Feet would probably be best, but if you take it he's going to die sooner.

For myself: Third skill on the only Level 4 saurus my lizards have got (I have two other Block saurii and one +ST, he's my only Block/Guard.) I'm trying to decide between Tackle and Break Tackle, because I want to build my lizards without Mighty Blow. Stand Firm might also be an option, but doesn't seem as good as either of the other two. Thoughts?

5. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I think you should have 1 PO MB saurus.
    However assuming it is a long term league that shouldn't be the most experienced one as he will get SPP quicker.
    I would go for break tackle followed by SF.
    Tackle is best on the blitzer sauri and they don't get guard until late.

6. Cransen

Cransen New Member

Country Flag:
    I have an Orc team in a private league BB2, 6 teams two legged round robin (other teams: Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, High Elves, Bretonnians)
    In my last match both of my throwers leveled up. One for the third time and the other one for his first time. I have a hard time to decide what skills I should choose for them.
    I just rolled and they can just pick the usual ones (no doubles or MV, AG, ST)

My team:
    (TV around ~1700, cant remember exactly, 4RR):
    1. Thrower - SH, Pass, Block, Dodge, ?
    2. Thrower - SH, Pass, ?
    3. B.O.B - Block, MB
    4. B.O.B - Block
    5. B.O.B - Guard
    6. B.O.B -
    7. Blitzer - Block, Guard, Tackle
    8. Blitzer - Block, Guard
    9. Blitzer - Block, MB
    10. Blitzer - Block
    11. Troll - Guard, Block
    12. Lineman - Block
    13. Lineman - Block

I usually leave the linemens on the bench in offence and in defence I use one of them and put thrower 2 on the bench.
    In offence i use both thowers in the rear field (one at each side in the middle) to be able to grab the ball fast, I usually pass over the ball to thrower nr 1 if it is nr 2 who reaches the ball first.
    From there I use the usual cage tactic, with 2 blitzers (guard) meeting the ball carrier in turn 1 and then forms the complete cage in the middle field the turn after when they reach LOS. After that I move the cage in a controlled speed, often slow and boring for my opponents :) until I can reach and score.
    I usually dont loose the ball when using this tactic, the only problem that I face is when the opponent succesfully stall me so I cant reach the TD-area in time or if the ball is too far down on my own field after kick off making it risky to pass thrower nr 1, if the opponent is fast then he fill up the field between the thowers and the rest with some of his elves or gutter runners (happened one or two times). Up to now I havent used passing at all (besides in the start of the drive to give the ball to Thrower nr1) but I often use one or two blitzer (those without guard) to charge down the opponents field just as a diversion making the opponent think I will pass and forces him to block them, makes less opponents around the cage.

Im thinking about accurate or kick off return for thrower nr 1. Accurate makes it even more of a "pass threat" to the opponents, It could also become handy to be able to actually throw the ball for real once in a while, or is kick off return more efficient? Making it easier at the start sometimes, but will I really need it when using two throwers at the back field? Dump off is also a choice but I imagine it will be extremly rare to succeed with this skill, the receiver is probably in a tacklezone somewhere in the cage, making it hard to catch the ball.
    The skill for thrower nr 2 should probably be block, right?

Peoples thoughts would be appreciated.

7. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I would take Kick off return on thrower 1. This will speed up your offence and allow you to ensure that your blodger has the ball. Passing with AG3 is often debated but I feel that you need someone to catch the ball. On an Orc team that would be an AG 4 blitzer or maybe a gobbo. If you have to score quickly it's a different matter but most of the time you want to run it in.

On thrower the 2 you could look at dropping him if you have KoR on thrower 1. Two orc throwers can be inefficient in TV terms. If you want to keep him it's probably block then he can keep ticking on and be able to replace the other thrower if needed.

Cransen likes this.
  8. Regor

Regor Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Im playing in Munch Cup (BB2) with a orc team, and so far so good. My thought is giving kick of return to number one thrower, and block in the 2 thrower. If u had any blitzer with AG4 i would go for accurate (any more option to score with orcs is always good). Kick of return help against faster team with Kick skill, and u have skaven and 2 elfs.
    If u run a thrower in defense run, i suggest tackle for next skill (after block) for number 2 thrower (but i see u dont play with a thrower in defense).

By the way i think u should drop at least one RR, u dont need to many RR when u have block skill in almost your team.

Cransen likes this.
  9. Ikoma

Ikoma Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ikoma
    Country Flag:
    I would go Sure Hands on the Thrower but Block is not a bad choice at all.

Tackle all the way on the Catcher. Leap gets me in trouble if it's not on an AG 5 player.

The Blitzer ought to consider Frenzy.

10. Arthur Wynne

Arthur Wynne Member

Country Flag:
    @omne51

- Block on the Thrower so he can play defense. As good a thrower as he is, he should also be able to contribute when he's not holding the ball.

- Tackle on the Catcher, Ikoma is right.

- I'd take Sidestep or Tackle on the Blitzer, depending on whether you want to develop him offensively or defensively. (So, depending on the meta and your play style.) Sidestep also has good synergy with Frenzy if you want to take that at level 6, but I would take Sidestep first.

Edit: What does your other Blitzer look like? How much Tackle do you have and how much Dodge do you tend to face?

11. Arthur Wynne

Arthur Wynne Member

Country Flag:
    Time to ask for some help of my own again.

Double on a human (Defensive) thrower with Block, I also have an offensive thrower with Accurate on the same team. If I were running only one Thrower I'd probably take Strong Arm but as it is I'm thinking Dodge. Or maybe Guard?

12. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I'd go for guard. AG3 dodge isn't something you want to do much while humans needs as much guard as they can get.

13. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yea. Offensive thrower could possibly get dodge, especially if you're getting dodge on your blitzers, but defensively guard is the best option.

14. Arthur Wynne

Arthur Wynne Member

Country Flag:
    Huh, I'm surprised.

I would have expected, with how much attention blodging elves get, that the value of Dodge for protection would be lent more weight, not to mention the possibility of a blodge/sure hands ball retriever. (Which would make him pretty good on offense too, now that I think about it, but that's neither here nor there.) Is Guard just that good?

I'm not protesting because I don't want to take your advice, but because I've always had the impression Dodge was one of the more popular double skill options for teams without AG access, and this looks to me like an obvious case where it's good. So maybe I should lower my estimation of its value?

15. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Dodge is good if you have a lot of it.
    If you only have 1 or 2 then they get targeted by tackle guys.
    However it is useful some of the time ( I would take it or Jump Up on blitzers ).

Guard however really is that good.
    It is the default double roll for all non bash non stunty teams.
    The exception is primary throwers who can go for Strong Arm and MB on players that blitz a lot.
    However if I have 2 rookie throwers and roll a double I would take guard and make him the defensive thrower.

16. Arthur Wynne

Arthur Wynne Member

Country Flag:
    I'm sold, guard it is.

17. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    I'd probably give him Sure Feet and then wish I'd given him Sidestep. But I think Sure Feet makes better use of his current skills.

But then, he's already very mobile, and Sure Feet might tempt you into the failed GFI that kills him. And with his Big Hand and Dirty Player he might be in the thick of the action a lot where Sidestep will be nice.

Probably Sure Feet.

18. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Gobbos die, you just have to accept that. No use worrying whether a skill you give them is going to increase their chance of hurting themselves. That being said, I'd go Sure Feet with that specimen, both Big Hand and Dirty Player are skills which you won't have a lot of on your team, so being able to cover more ground with the one you have adds a lot of usefulness.

19. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    I have a Kick thrall who rolled a double. My Leader thrall died recently; I think Leader would be best? I could consider going from 4 to 3 rerolls then (I have 4 blodge or better vampires, 10 thralls, around 1750TV).

Also my Blodge Tackle MB vampire rolled a normal. I think it will be Sidestep for 3 Blodge Sidesteppers. Is there anything better? (I thought about JU and later PO, but I'm not keen).

20. Arthur Wynne

Arthur Wynne Member

Country Flag:
    I wouldn't pay a double purely for the privilege of saving 40k in team value, especially on a Vampire team where a Leader might easily not be on the pitch when you need him. I took it on my own vampire team, but they had far less money to throw around and less developed vampires, so they need all the rerolls they can get.

On a team this developed I'd say either ignore thrall double and take Block, or go for Guard if you think it would be helpful. (With all the ST 4 and hypnosis, Vampires might not need Guard... but it's always nice to have.)

I am a big anti-fan of Pile On, so I would agree with Sidestep on your horrible vampire. Two other alternatives could be Frenzy or Grab, since he's clearly built to be a scrapper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.