1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill allocation advice IV

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CariadocThorne

CariadocThorne Member

Country Flag:
    A thrower with Ma8 can be useful on both offense and defense.

On offense, it gives him extra speed to collect the ball and get into a good position, or to get into better throwing positions (shorter throws or avoid interceptions) without having to go for it. Also makes running him straight through to score easier if no good passes are available.

Defensively it helps position him to mark recievers etc. Since he already has accurate, it might be worth giving him shadowing, as Ma8+shadowing can be a nightmare to shake.

Dodge should probably be his next skill though, it'll synergise well with his high Ma and Agi, improving his offense and defense.

2. JimmyFantastic

JimmyFantastic Member

Country Flag:
    +MA for the thrower for sure, followed by Blodge SH SS, no need for passing skills ever.
    SS for the WD, SS Kick or Tackle for the Lino depending on team need.

3. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Another question about my OCC Necro team.

Snaps at Fleas, the junior werewolf, has finally done something useful (inflicted a CAS before being CASed himself), and as a reward attained level 5. The level up result is normal (2+3). I am at a bit of a loss as to what he should get - he currently has:

MA-, Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Frenzy, Claw.

Juggernaut or Piling On would be my preferred skills, but that obviously requires doubles, and ain't happening.

Dodge is the default answer, and is not a bad choice.

Dauntless is something I am sorely missing on my team, in a division full of strong players (my 7 remaining game include Chaos, Nurgle x2, Undead, and a mirror match against Moncap's Necro), so currently this is actually my top candidate. Of course, Dauntless Frenzy means 2x rolls, which is like asking for trouble (but only a 1/36 chance of outright turnover on each because the wolf has Block), but MB/Claw makes him an ideal big game hunter.

Side Step is another nice utility choice, although I try to avoid getting the wolf hit as much as possible.

Jump Up is sneaky good, although much like Side Step requires the wolf to be hit to make use of it. JU compensates for his reduced movement allowance; having it on my other wolf has arguably won me the championship last season, because it allowed him to sack the chaos ball carrier AND get out of blitz range in the final game, leading to the only TD and the win.

Finally, Fend helps protect against Piling On. Although IMO it's best as a Zombie skill on Necro teams and a lino/blitzer/witch skill on elf teams, as it makes players who man-mark or guard the sidelines be extra annoying, especially in combination with Side Step.

Currently I am leaning towards Dauntless, with Dodge second and Side Step third, in the order of preference. Could definitely use some advice. Killer chaos team with 4 MB/Claw killers (2 of them PO) is next on the agenda.

P.S. For reference, my Wights are a 0 SPP rookie and a level 3 bloke with Guard and MB. My other wolf is a Block/Tackle/Dodge/Mighty Blow/Piling On/Jump Up legend.

4. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    Normally I'd say dodge, though if your looking to level for the next match then Fend or Sidestep have to be the way forwards. That Chaos side are all about killing but have no support and very little in the way of control skills so you can bait them and out position them pretty easily. I understand why u like Dauntless but they have very little guard overall and its a skill that on a player like that will encourage risky use which will of course have many draw backs in terms of positioning and overall player placement. I like Dauntless but not on Blitzers, I like it in on blockers in the middle of the scrum.

Not sure there is a bad choice here however its more a case of what you fancy.

5. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Just to be transparent, I don't think I have ever played with a Dauntless player, and am almost certain I have never chosen that skill for anyone, so I am just going to ignore that one. It's not that I think it is bad, it just doesn't currently exist in my universe. :D

However, I really like Dodge. It will help keep your Wolf on his feet when he does get hit, but even better with your MA- you can't always take the long way around to get where you need to be. That Dodge skill will let you cut more corners and save your valuable moves.

6. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Since it is slow and crippled already, a "burning bright" skill like dauntless might be good to put some respect into the hearts of your strong opposition (literally if needs be)

Or jump up, to hope for doubles next skill.

Or sure, dodge as always.

7. Jasper

Jasper Member

Country Flag:
    Dodge is a good combo with Mighty Blow, as obviously you'd like to keep your star wolf alive. Depends on how much Tackle you're facing though? If everyone has several tackle players I'd skip it, as they're almost certain to hold them in reserve to aim for your Wolf.

After that I'd take Sidestep if you don't already have at least one, very handy for working the sidelines but generally a bit is enough, especially since you have Flesh Golems.

If you've got that angle covered I'd take Jump Up. It's an excellent defensive skill on a killer as anyone blocking them is most likely to get blocked right back next turn, which is a bit daunting when facing Claw + Mighty Blow + Tackle. I think Jump Up is often underrated.

8. Valokiloren

Valokiloren Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    ʋǟʟ
    Cyanide Username:
    Valokiloren
    Country Flag:
    I actually think that Dauntless would be a great choice. Because, as you say, it turns him into a prize-hunter - nothing would be truly safe from the Wolf if he was capable of hitting them.

9. JimmyFantastic

JimmyFantastic Member

Country Flag:
    Dodge, ofc.

10. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    I think Sidestep has great potential in combination with Frenzy. If someone blitzes him near the sidelines, the wolf can almost always fet into a position to surf next turn unless his armour is broken. If the opponent has a few Stand Firm players (as Chaos might have) or Sidesteppers themselves, then the value of Sidestep diminshes a bit.

Dauntless is tempting but in my opinion only better than Sidestep if at least the other wolf has Sidestep so you have one really dangerous Sideline Controller. Otherwise I'd put its value below Sidestep for a frenzy player.

Dodge is always very good, of course (unless you face much Tackle...). Not much to say here, except that -MA makes a (small) point against it.

Fend and Jump up are nice but not better than Dodge in my opinion.

11. CariadocThorne

CariadocThorne Member

Country Flag:
    I'd go for jump up, because there is nothing in the game which puts me off trying to take down a killer as much as knowing that if I don't break armour, he's going to jump to his feet and use my blitzer's spine as a back-scratcher.

12. crimsonsun

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    Lol - If you don't succeed initially then foul foul foul again until its dead....

13. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I agree with Crimson. Jump Up just means every time you knock it down you have to foul.
    I would go for dodge.

14. Jasper

Jasper Member

Country Flag:
    "Foul anyone who is prone" is easily said, but often in practice it's difficult to pull off without compromising your position as you need a bunch of assists to really make it worthwhile.

15. JJape

JJape Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    JJape
    Country Flag:
    Hello,

my dark elf blitzer with guard rolled 6+4 as his second level up. I am wondering what to take: dodge would give best short-term benefit, but either taking MV (easier to get guard where needed) or AV (easier to survive after taking guard where needed) would also have uses.

Any opinions what to take? I would normally take MV, but as I have two other guard players already, I feel movement is not as critical (someone probably in range).

16. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    Dark Elves can really benefit from extra movement, as they are on the slow side as far as elves go. I'm not sure I would pass that up.

17. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    MA+, hands down. AV+ is a waste of TV, imo, albeit a tempting one, while having an MA 8 player opens up interesting options. So it's either MA+ or Dodge, if you really just want to bypass the stat altogether.

18. Kronen

Kronen New Member

Country Flag:
    Hey BB gurus!

I'm back for some more advice concerning my slightly bloaty Minotaur. My team, the Stormlight Archivists, has been slowly progressing up the ranks despite its coach's blunders and just broke into D4 in the OCC. My Minotaur, with Claw Juggernaut and Block, just rolled another set of doubles leaving both Jump Up and Pro as solid options. I was previously considering Tentacles as a standard roll. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I primarily use him as a killer and blitz with him frequently, screening afterwards with guard players. Jump up appeals in that role as it will cut down on blitz usage potentially, but Pro also sounds awesome so my damn 2+ Wild Animals could be avoided.

19. crimsonsun

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    I'd go Pro or Tackle with that, as while Jump Up's good its a 3+ 2+ to make a block with it and still a 2+ to blitz so your often going to find yourself stuck on your back when it matters. I guess it depends on how big a role it plays in the team as if its your go to blitzing piece then Jump Up's likely going to be worth its weight in gold. Pro will keep it moving however when its not hitting things and make it a more viable player in your squad, while tackle will help it kill stuff.

20. SovereignStrike

SovereignStrike Member

Cyanide Username:
    SovereignStrike
    Country Flag:
    So my "killer" high elf blitzer has rolled another normal. He's currently 7348 Block dodge MB tackle.

I'm really stumped as to what next, not sure I want to go with the standard sidestep choice here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.