1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VI

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Since the fifth thread has also gone past a thousand replies, here's a new thread to ask about what skill upgrade would be most useful for your player.

Minimum information is of course what the player is (race, position) and which skill (s)he already has, but giving some general idea about the rest of your team and the environment you are playing in (which league/which kind of league) can also be useful for getting good advice.

Links to previous threads in the topic:
    http://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/skill-allocation-advice.759/
    http://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/skill-allocation-advice-ii.3098/
    http://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/skill-allocation-advice-iii.4304/
    http://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/skill-allocation-advice-iv.5038/
    http://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/skill-allocation-advice-v.6568/

2. Overloathe

Overloathe New Member

Country Flag:
    Orc Blitzer with +MA, Strip Ball, Mighty Blow, rolled normal skill. I'm considering Frenzy, Tackle, Juggernaut... I only have another tackler in the team, the orc killer, with +ST, Tackle, MB, PO, +MA.
    4 Guards on the team should be enough to cover Frenzy? Never used that skill before.

3. Regor

Regor Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    With stripball i think u should go all the way with tackle.

4. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    Why not jugg? It gives you an extra roll on which you free the ball. On the ball carrier tackle doesn't give much more than strip ball.

5. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    I agree with this, if they are surehands + dodge then you may as well be hitting them with the MB + Tackle guy. Juggs would help this guys role versus non-surehands carriers and could be followed up with frenzy for getting the guy who was holding the ball to be less likely to have a tacklezone on it.

6. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I agree that Juggs works best with Strip Ball.
    However how often have you ever used SB as it is not a skill I would put on an orc until they hit 76 or more likely 176 SPP.
    I would just take guard and consider the SB a wasted skill most of the time. Nothing wrong with Tackle though.

7. Overloathe

Overloathe New Member

Country Flag:
    Thank you for all your comments.
    There aren't too many Sure Hands ball carriers in our league (lizardmen, norse, chaos, chaos dwarfs, elves...), so Strip Ball really worked wonders for me. Never regretted picking it.
    Juggernaut looks like a solid choice with SB. I'm divided between Juggs and Tackle now. 2 matches until the Play Offs, and one of the teams is a skink heavy lizardmen with one of the skinks having Catch, SS, Sure Hands, and Block... I might really need this second Tackle just for him.

8. DireSickFish

DireSickFish Active Member

Steam Username:
    SickFish
    Cyanide Username:
    DireSickFish
    Country Flag:
    This is an uncommon choice, but what about Grab? It will let you counter SS so he can't rely on it to keep his skink safe in a sideline cage situation. Tackle is a solid choice if your looking to put down more hurt or make it riskier to dodge out.

9. Plum

Plum Member

Country Flag:
    Heya all :)

My Chaos Pact marauder ball carrier just levelled up with a 6-4 roll and I'm torn. She has ST4 and Sure Hands.

I have a lot of guard on the team and she typically spends her life hiding in a solid guard cage with Big Guy corners, and with ST4 she's tough to take out. When on defense, I generally avoid attacking with her unless she has three dice, since no block. I don't typically play a passing game, but I'm occasionally forced to.

The league has a decent mix of bash and dash, with lizards, Undead, orcs, dwarves, ogres, humans, and every flavor of elf. The bash I can go toe to toe with but I'm lacking in speed, especially since my skaven broke her own neck trying to push a dwarf into the crowd.

So. Block would tighten her defense even more, and let me use her as a ST4 Blitzer when not on ball duty, plus she'd be more reliable blitzing into the endzone. +MA would make those endzone sprints easier, letting her step around defenders rather than risk a dodge or blitz, and also make ball retrieval easier after kickoff. Extra Arms would make pickups easier in a scrum, plus I'd be more willing to risk my dark elf making the initial pickup and then quick pass to her. Finally Pass/Accurate would open up some options that I don't currently use, and mean that my rookies could be skilled up faster.

Oh finally, this is seasonal play and there's only a couple of games left, but I'll be carrying her forwards into next season too so want to plan reasonably far ahead.

Block seems like the most useful choice right? More protection on the ball, more firepower off the ball. But I can take block on any normal roll, I'm probably not going to get another chance to pick up movement...

10. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Block is more useful now but the +MA will be better long term.
    Since he is your main ballcarrier I would take the MA as he should level up fairly quickly.

Plum likes this.
  11. DireSickFish

Steam Username:
    SickFish
    Cyanide Username:
    DireSickFish
    Country Flag:
    Ditto this. I've been finding extra movement even more useful than extra AG in a lot of situations for scoring. I'd go block if it didn't already have Sure Hands. Get dodge if you roll doubles next.

12. Plum

Plum Member

Country Flag:
    Why does SH reduce the benefit of block? I thought about dodge yes, if I turn her into a decent runner.

I think you guys are right though, take +MA now and rely on the rest of the team to protect her - that's why I have a ton of guard and Big Guys after all.

13. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    If he doesn't have sure hands then he can become your main blitzer and someone else can get sure hands , pass , accurate etc and carry the ball. So you can take block.
    As he does have sure hands he wants to be carrying the ball so takes the MA.
    It is a question of whether ST4 is better carrying the ball or making the hole for the ballcarrier to run through. Both options are valid but require different skills.

DireSickFish likes this.
  14. Plum

Plum Member

Country Flag:
    Ah ok that makes sense. Given that I'm currently running three Big Guys (thinking of dropping the mino though as she soaks up my blitz too much), I think I have enough frontline firepower and ball handling is my problem. Having a carrier that most ball hawks will roll disadvantage against even when the cage is broken was too tempting to pass up

15. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    On my BC2 Wood Elf team, my Kick, ST 5, AG 5, niggled Lineman got a normal roll. Should I just take Block and then Dodge on this guy should he manage another level? This team also has an AG5 War Dancer and another lineman with Wrestle Dodge and AG5 who I'm planning on taking Leap, so I don't think taking Leap on this guy is a good idea, since he can only get 1 other skill. I mostly use the ST5 guy to knock down high strength players on the other team (often the other team's Big Guy), so block seems good. But I don't have much experience with stats freaks like this guy.

16. DireSickFish

Steam Username:
    SickFish
    Cyanide Username:
    DireSickFish
    Country Flag:
    Block first, then dodge. I can't see taking another stat up on him until you get these two out of the way. I guess Guard if you get a doubles, but Blodge is needed now to make that niggle not be an issue.

17. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    With AG5 I'd be tempted by dodge before block.

18. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    I already have two players with AG5 and Dodge (war dancer and lino). I think I do more hitting than dodging with this guy.

19. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Yeah block, same as you would take on a big guy with a doubles, only he's 100 times better.

Palled33, TwoScoops and DireSickFish like this.
  20. stephB

stephB Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    stephB
    Cyanide Username:
    stephB
    Country Flag:
    Need help! I can't make my mind up on the next skill for my +MV, Dodge, Guard, Orc Blitzer (it was a normal roll). I am thinking either Mighty Blow, Tackle or Sure hands to convert him to ball carrier. However, I already have a thrower with block/accurate/leader (would consider firing him for a lino if I had the money).

My other blitzers are as follows: (1) MB,Tackle,+agi (-arm) (2) Tackle, MB (3) Dodge, Guard, MB

None of my Black Orcs have guard yet, but 3 are very close to their second skill, so I couldn't utilise the guard very well on the blitzer in question if he becomes the ball carrier.

Open to suggestions :)