1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VI

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Dec 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toastguy7

toastguy7 Active Member

Steam Username:
    The Count of Montecristoast
    Country Flag:
    I've run into a wall on high elf development in a long-running perpetual league. Two pieces have recently leveled: 1. A Str 4 -mv HE Catcher with Blodgestep. 2. A HE Thrower built as a third blitzer, with blodge and tackle.

I'm already up to tv 2010 with 11 players, but I'm also a bit hesitant to fire any very developed players because my lineelves have about a 3% chance of living longer than 5 matches. I already have a blitzer built to stick to a ball carrier (blodgestep, DT, tackle) and another built as a ball hawk (Blodge, tackle, strip ball.) In addition, I have a slippery blodgestep+leap agi 5 catcher (-str) that has proven too useful to fire and a very developed thrower that can reliably throw the ball anywhere in range.

All the tackle is a remnant from the days when the top div was about 70% agi, though it is now more bash than agi. I also realize that some of these pieces aren't exactly optimally developed, but I'm often forced to use what I have based on which pieces survive long enough. Any thoughts on the two level ups/team development in general? Do I suck it up and fire the thrower modeled as a blitzer?

EDIT: Both level ups are normal

2. DireSickFish

DireSickFish Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    SickFish
    Cyanide Username:
    DireSickFish
    Country Flag:
    Fend and SS. The more SS that you have the better. The catcher is a bit of an oddball with MV7. Fend is a defensive skill and keeps him safe even though he isn't your best scoring threat. You could also go Sure Feet instead to make up for the move bust. But I'd save that for a MV8 catcher with hopes of making a OTTD threat.

toastguy7 likes this.
  3. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    Need some guidance with my UKBBL lizards again.

Its just a Block/Guard saurus (Sau2 below) with a normal roll, so probably SF, BT or MB, but my big lizards are a bit un-balanced at the moment, having lost 2 saurii & krox in one game recently which saw 82 SPP gone from the team. :eek:

Currently I have:
    Krox:
    Sau1: Block/Tackle/Break Tackle
    Sau2: Block/Guard/ [normal roll]
    Sau3: +ST/Block
    Sau4: Break Tackle -MA (MNG)
    Sau5:
    Sau6:
    Sk1: +AG/SS
    Sk2: Block/SS/DT
    Sk3: +ST/+MA/SS
    -AV
    Sk4: SS -MA (MNG)
    Sk5:

Should I go SF to keep my only Guard in place, and then give Block/MB to the newer saurii as they level because they are playing catch-up?
    Or do I give him MB to possibly get him to 51 SPP sooner?
    Or give him BT to make his Guard mobile? Will he use it as much as the other two skills?

I'm also wondering about sacking Sau4, the Break Tackle -MA guy who's on 9 SPP, we have 100k, but that will drop us down to 1 BT saurus... unless I take BT on Sau2 here. -MA isn't too bad on a Saurus? Or cut him now while he's still relatively inexperienced?

Also considering sacking the super skink (Sk3) as he's now AV6 and 160k TV. He could still be useful, but I can't risk him getting hit at all, possibly at the expense of others.

Remaining games this season are a mix of Dwarf, Woodies, 2 Orcs, Human, Dark Elf, Undead, Norse.

4. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    I wouldn't get rid of super skink but it is probably the smart choice to sack him, especially as you have AG Skink to protect.
    For the Saurus I'd take SF on the Guard piece. Replacing Saurus 4 is a 50/50 call, if you do then next rookie gets BT, otherwise Block/MB looks good for at least 1 of them.
    You might consider going MB/Block and targetting rookie linemen to try and level one Saurus quicker, but it's a riskier play and you need to be willing to turnover with :bothdown: if you try it.

5. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I'd keep the skink for a one turn threat, and the saurus.

6. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    Ok thanks both.

SF on the Saurus was what I was leaning towards, so I'm glad you re-inforced that thought.
    And I probably will hang on to those two injured pieces for now, but probably revoke Apo privileges unless it's almost the end of the match.

Next match may solve that problem for me as we face a lower TV dwarf team with 4 Guard and 4 MB. :eek:

7. Crowdog09

Crowdog09 Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Crowdog09
    Country Flag:
    20170623160046_1.jpg
    I rolled +AG on my rookie LineOrc and I'm unsure whether to roll with it or not? Should I go for and get Sure Hands afterwards and make him my ball carrier when my niggled Thrower eventually dies?

Currently in Averland in BC2 and it's a pretty bashy division
    Would he just be a bunch of bloat? Opinions and insight would be much appreciated!

8. TwoScoops

TwoScoops Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    MSG Musculo
    Cyanide Username:
    TwoScoops
    Country Flag:
    I would probably take it and make him a possible outlet to play downfield as needed. Not sure I would make him a Primary BC long term though...I typically like to give that role to a blitzer.

Maybe feed him some SPP, hope for guard next (mobile guard is awesome), and if it doesn't work out go the SH route?

9. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    I wouldn't take it.

Orc linos are too slow to be carriers or receivers.

I think dirty player would be much more helpful to the team (or block/wrestle).

10. Crowdog09

Crowdog09 Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Crowdog09
    Country Flag:
    I think that's the right call. DP will be more beneficial to us long term. 5MA just isn't enough to make use of AG4

11. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    Bull Centaur (Ball Carrier) over at UKBBL just rolled a normal. So far he's got the starting skills Sprint, Sure Feet, and Thick Skull - Plus he's taken +AGI, Block, and Sure Hands. I wanted him to get Dodge, but didn't roll a double, so now I'm really not sure which way to go. He's got an Armor bust, and so I generally try to keep him out of trouble, either holding back or being caged by his buddies. I see Break Tackle being somewhat underwhelming since he's already AGI 3 anyways, and although you can never have too much Guard I don't know how often it'd actually be of much use. Perhaps if someone busts the cage open, it would be good though. I can see Kick-off return, Fend, Stand Firm and even Pro all having some use but I really don't know how to proceed here. Advice greatly appreciated!

12. DireSickFish

DireSickFish Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    SickFish
    Cyanide Username:
    DireSickFish
    Country Flag:
    I'd still go Break Tackle. +1 to dodge rolls is a big deal. And if you don't need it for the dodge out it means you could use it on other dodges on his turn.

13. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Yeah BT is always good. Or KOR for the BC.

Fend and SF are of corse def not wrong picks either. SF rather then fend.

14. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    KOR isn't really needed with a MA of 6 and sprint , sure feet. Also he is ST4 so being stuck in the backfield with little support isn't that big a deal.
    Break Tackle is never a wrong choice but I would go for Stand Firm.

15. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Stand firm lets him sideline cage which is very desirable in a ball carrier.

16. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the input, gents. I've decided to go Stand Firm this time, and that Break Tackle will be the follow-up choice if he rolls normal again on the next level. Cheers.

17. Gio

Gio Member

Country Flag:
    Hey guys, I just wanted to thank you all for your kind and sound advice you gave me couple of weeks ago. I finally played the match against the Lizards yesterday and was able to win 3-2. it was a close game and I wouldn't have been able to pull it off without your helpful input. Thanks again.

Borke, TravelScrabble and stephB like this.
  18. Mr Suplex

Mr Suplex Member

Country Flag:
    Hi all, my Human team below just had the Ogre reach level 3 and roll normals for his second skill. He already has Guard and I'm debating between Stand Firm or Break Tackle (or any other interesting ideas you have). What would you choose?

Here is my team, and thanks for the advice!

1 Ogre /w Guard
    1 Blitzer /w S4, Guard
    1 Blitzer /w Guard
    2 Blitzers
    1 Thrower /w Block, Dodge
    1 Catcher /w Wrestle
    1 Catcher
    1 Lineman /w Kick
    1 Linemen /w Wrestle
    3 Linemen
    3 RR
    1 Apoth

19. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I am very careful/passive with my big guys for the most part so I think it has to be Stand Firm.

You would need to give your other 2 Blitzers Mighty Blow on their first level though.

20. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    I'd take Break Tackle. Gives you about the only chance you have with Humans of breaking into a cage and hitting the carrier. Also makes the Ogre a lot more mobile if he has a lineman etc on him. Also makes your opponent worry. If not BT then I'd take Piling On. Make them fear you;).

Give the next Blitzers to level MB or Tackle btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.