1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VI

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Dec 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DireSickFish

DireSickFish Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    SickFish
    Cyanide Username:
    DireSickFish
    Country Flag:
    I'd go Stand firm as I like to leave the Oger stuck in a pile. Can really slow down a drive if he's basing the cage and they can't get the assist to hit him for a 2d, and if they do hit him he won't go away.

2. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    The problem with BT on an Ogre is that you need to first activate him, so 2+. Then you need to dodge, which is a 2+ at best. So to even get the benefit you need to pass a 25/36 chance. So 11/36 times you try to use break tackle you end up standing there or falling down. Unless you want to risk a reroll on a loner...

BT can be useful, but I would take other useful skills first like Stand Firm that do not require rolls to use.

3. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I would also go for Stand Firm.
    I don't like break tackle on big guys as it only works around 2 in every 3 times you try.
    1 in 6 chance of bonehead and 1 in 6 chance of failing the dodge.

The job of an Ogre is to stand on the line and dish out hits not to run around all over the place.

DireSickFish likes this.
  4. Plum

Plum Member

Country Flag:
    Heya all :) My Chaos Pact team is starting find its stride now (~1500tv), with both the ogre and troll having block/guard (blard?) and supported by two block/guard marauders for a solid front line. Behind them I have a ST4 sure hands carrier and two Claw-MB-block can-openers. We also have an unskilled rat (formerly wrestle-strip ball but then she tried to headbutt a dwarf), a dodging dark elf and a two-headed, big-handed goblin.

So I feel like the core of the team is solid and now I can start picking some bonus skills. I have one block marauder that has just levelled up, and another rookie who will hopefully level up next game. Should I continue down the cookie-cutter block/guard route with them as potential replacements for any injured frontliners? Or maybe take a couple of utility skills like kick or leader (I have 3rr which usually feels like enough)? If the rookie gets a +AG then I might turn him into a thrower but with a ST4 sure-hands carrier, I usually run the ball. If he just rolls a normal, I was thinking of going wrestle-tackle so that I have an option to deal with annoying elves.

I was also thinking about grab or frenzy for better pitch control - my opponents generally avoid standing next to my can-openers, so being able to push them around at-will would save on blitzes.

One of my Claw-MB-block girls is close to next level as well. I was thinking tackle, but maybe I should double down on her being a tank killer and take dauntless or frenzy. This is tabletop and new Piling On isn't particularly appealing.

I'm not sure that my big guys will see another level up, but I'll almost certainly take stand firm on both.

Oh, and the league has a good mix of races. Skaven, a variety of elves, vamps, dwarfs, chaos, humans, lizards...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D

5. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    I think this is an unpopular opinion but I'm still going to voice it: I really like having Leader on the team myself, because it often means you can sell one of your re-rolls and lower your TV without any difference to your performance. The downside is that the Leader piece needs to be on the pitch, and that if it gets injured before you have a chance to use the extra re-roll, you lose it. I feel like that happens very rarely though. And Chaos Pact rerolls are 70 TV each, meaning it would actually make a noteworthy difference, essentially making the Marauder itself 'free' WITH leader, because it would amount to the exact same TV as just the stand-alone reroll. Maybe that's an odd way of looking at it, though. :p

Tackle seems like a solid choice for your Claw-MB-Block killer.

6. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I think you need a wrackler safety, so one of your Marauders should go down that route. Frenzy is a very good and underrated kill skill, one of the claw mb should probably go that route.

7. Plum

Plum Member

Country Flag:
    I had no idea you could sell rerolls back :eek: That does make taking leader on my vanilla block marauder a bit more tempting - as you say, I could literally just swap a reroll for a new rookie at zero TV change.

I like the idea of a wrackle marauder and unless my rookie gets a stat boost, I think I'll move in that direction. At the moment agility teams are a weakness, especially if they have blodge. I have to massively over-react to get three dice on the threat to ensure a perfect hit.

Regarding the killers, I might split the difference then - grab tackle on the first to level up (since I'm sorely lacking it) and frenzy on the second. That gives me a nice choice of which to use for a given target (again, opponents try not to base them so they are often free to move and blitz - the main reason I dropped the mino)

Next up on the schedule is my first ever game vs Vamps. As a guard-heavy cage team I'm a little terrified of hypnotic gaze, but hopefully I have enough bash to take his thralls off the pitch quickly!

I'm also thinking of firing the gobbo and replacing her with a vanilla for throwing, saving 40k. She's amazing at linebreaking and grabbing loose balls, but I also have to spend half the drive protecting her and I could have another marauder breaking skulls in her place :( I find that I'm leaving her in reserve more and more and only bringing her out to be flung

8. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    You absolutely can, but I feel like I just need to clarify that you do not get your money back when you do so. Perhaps that was obvious already! You just get rid of it, and lower your TV as a result.

9. Plum

Plum Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, that makes sense - like firing a player.

I might take leader now but wait to see what happens with my rookie marauder before dropping a RR. If he gets +AG and I decide to start playing the ball more, I'll probably want the RRs to support that.

Sataric likes this.
  10. Plum

Plum Member

Country Flag:
    So all my dreams came true :D

I squeaked a win against the Vamps (very much more luck than judgement. I actually felt bad for my opponent by the end!) and got two lovely skill ups. My rookie Marauder did indeed get a +AG, which is the first +AG in two seasons of play so I'm most definitely taking that and turning him into a ball handler (aiming for some combination of accuracy, strong arm and pass). This does mean I won't have a dedicated wrackle player but my unskilled skaven can go in that direction instead. With an extra point of movement, she's a little better at chasing down catchers.

The trickier decision is my Dark Elf who rolled a double. She already has dodge and I'd be crazy not to grab block too right? It's the first opportunity I've had to have blodge on the pitch and would make her more survivable than my Marauders. I currently have a ST4-block-SH ball carrier, but a back-up carrier who can get to and survive in enemy territory would open up passing play options, especially as I now have the start of a decent thrower. But then it's a waste of a double! Doubles get the delf access to Strength and Passing though and short of guard, which she doesn't really need, I can't see anything too useful in those lists.

Also, purely hypothetical since they didn't level up, but if I rolled a second double for my big guys, would you put dodge on the Block-Guard ogre and troll to make them near unbreakable? Or Pro? On a normal roll they'll be getting Stand Firm.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  11. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    One of the wardancers on my Big Crunch 2 woodies has reached 51 SPP and has rolled... another normal skill.

He currently has:
    Strip Ball/Tackle/SS

A lot of possibilities, although none are stand-outs.
    Wrestle (ultimate sacker), more Dauntless, Fend (protection/annoyance), DT (used sparingly), Shadowing, Jump Up (they do get hit when you're down in numbers).

Fyi, the other wardancer has Tackle/SS/Dauntless and is not far of 51 SSP too.

12. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I would take block on the Dark elf.
    On a Dark elf team the double would be guard but with Pact you have lots of other players to take the strength skills.

The wardancer could take any of the skills mentioned. I would probably go for fend but none of them are a bad call.

Plum likes this.
  13. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    I have exactly the same player in Altdwarf (with -1 mov...) and I will go for wrestle. Plan is to have an ultimate sacker until he dies, then I rebuild a wardancer without stripball (not very useful at high tv). Btw, sure feets is also an option to increase his reach...

14. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    I assume sure feet would help counter the bug that makes you take 2 gfi rolls for 1 gfi leaps?

15. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    Didn't know of that. Luckily I don't play wood elves! :oops:

16. Orielensis

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    Hehe you just never fail any rolls (this season) :p

17. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Jump up I find very valuable, but wrestle makes sense too.

18. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the responses, I went with Wrestle in the end.

I didn't know about the Leaping / GFI bug either, thanks @Orielensis.

Orielensis likes this.
  19. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    Wood Elf War Dancer with AG5, Mighty Blow, Tackle, and Side Step rolls 5+5. I think my choices are between the move and Guard.

The other noteworthy players on this team are a level 4 War Dancer with +MA, Strip Ball, Side Step, and a movement bust (so net MA is 8), and a lineman with AG 5, Wrestle, Dodge, and Leap.

The MV 9 obviously makes the Dancer more of a 1-turn threat, but I don't think I've had a game this season where I would have had any reasonable chance at a 1-turner, even with a MV 9 guy. But MV 9 is generally useful, even outside of 1-turn attempts.

If this guy didn't already have Mighty Blow, I would probably take Guard. AG 5, Leap, Guard is awesome, and with my other AG 5 leaper would give me plenty of 2D blocks even on caged carriers, but leaping in two players will lead to a lot of Turn Overs, leaving extremely valuable players subject to gang fouls. With Mighty Blow, this guy is my primary Blitzer, which kind of reduces the value of him having Guard.

20. Orielensis

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    Frenzy also very valid for this guy.

The nice thing is he already has SS. So guard is very doable too. I think I would.

You could also take PO ofc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.