Not open for further replies.

Sataric

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Sataric
Cyanide Username
Sataric
Country Flag
I'm just about to start a progression league with a single long season (21 teams), BLUA. Starting teams can spend 1.1m then (in my case as I have a tier 1 team) take 5 normal skills (max 1 per player).

I have lizards.

What would people take? Just block?

Personally, I would take Block on at least 4. You could argue for Break Tackle, Mighty Blow or Tackle on the last piece but even there I'd say Block is likely to give you better results in most scenarios. Guard isn't bad at all on Lizards but it's far from first priority, at least with my playstyle, so I would not even consider that. With Block on all/most of them, you'll already be quite solid, and then you can branch them out in different directions as soon as they earn their second skill.

Palled33

Rookie
Country Flag
Got a line elf in my delf team who's on 50spp, having so far rolled block, then 2x +ag plus a -av niggle, for a statline of 6/3/6/7!

Given the niggle, and because of the insane agility, I think the next skill-up should clearly be dodge. But wondering where to go from there after?

Thinking sure hands to make him an exceptional ball rescuer and ball carrier who can probably dodge away from insane amounts of marking as well as recover it from heavy traffic. What would be his final skill after that? If not doubles then I guess even more protection, e.g. Sidestep/Fend

But if doubles I'm thinking crazy things like pass or accurate so he can pickup a ball in ridiculous traffic, scamper out and drop insane bombs to turn loose balls into instant counterattack scores/stalls.

Love to know all your thoughts.

In a well developed team (bloaty tbh) as you can probably guess

Sataric

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Sataric
Cyanide Username
Sataric
Country Flag
@Palled33 - Tricky one. I really like the idea of Sure Hands though. Makes him an excellent ball retriever. I'm going to be in the minority for this suggestion for certain, but I'm not sure I'd even pick up Dodge - I think Sure Hands + Leap would make more sense, based on my own playstyle. You can leap in on the ball in almost any given situation, likely get the pickup, and still have a decent chance to pass the ball even in tackle zones due to such an insane AGI score. The huge issue with this is that if you fail any of the steps (Leap, Pick-up or Pass), you will be surrounded by enemies and go down like a sack of potatoes. However, if you can score that same turn, it doesn't matter at all that you left your piece in such a dangerous spot since a new drive will begin.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
I'd go for dodge and sure hands.
If you assume the ball is in 3 tackle zones then that is 3+ dodge , 3+ pick up then a 2+ dodge , 2+ dodge to get back out where you pass without a risk of intertception. Leap makes that slightly better but with AG6 I don't think it makes enough difference for all the other situations where dodge is better.

There is no way a niggled -AV lineelf makes it to 176 SPP so don't worry about the last skill.

Palled33

Rookie
Country Flag
@Palled33 - Tricky one. I really like the idea of Sure Hands though. Makes him an excellent ball retriever. I'm going to be in the minority for this suggestion for certain, but I'm not sure I'd even pick up Dodge - I think Sure Hands + Leap would make more sense, based on my own playstyle. You can leap in on the ball in almost any given situation, likely get the pickup, and still have a decent chance to pass the ball even in tackle zones due to such an insane AGI score. The huge issue with this is that if you fail any of the steps (Leap, Pick-up or Pass), you will be surrounded by enemies and go down like a sack of potatoes. However, if you can score that same turn, it doesn't matter at all that you left your piece in such a dangerous spot since a new drive will begin.

I like this

Insanely ballsy. I hate leap though, it'll burn my rerolls like crazy as there's no way I can just let him hit the deck in traffic

I'm tempted by it though as well as there's plenty of tackle about in our league anyway, so it's not much worse I suppose. Though some games it'll definitely be worse when tackle is low.

Very interesting though, cheers

Palled33

Rookie
Country Flag
I'd go for dodge and sure hands.
If you assume the ball is in 3 tackle zones then that is 3+ dodge , 3+ pick up then a 2+ dodge , 2+ dodge to get back out where you pass without a risk of intertception. Leap makes that slightly better but with AG6 I don't think it makes enough difference for all the other situations where dodge is better.

There is no way a niggled -AV lineelf makes it to 176 SPP so don't worry about the last skill.

Booo! He will be a legend! Haha ;)

But no he will die, absolutely. lol

This is exactly what I was thinking, and is definitely plan A tbh.

But what if I roll doubles next skill?

What if I roll +St?

Would you say to ignore either of those?

Palled33

Rookie
Country Flag
On my BC2 Wood Elf team, my Kick, ST 5, AG 5, niggled Lineman got a normal roll. Should I just take Block and then Dodge on this guy should he manage another level? This team also has an AG5 War Dancer and another lineman with Wrestle Dodge and AG5 who I'm planning on taking Leap, so I don't think taking Leap on this guy is a good idea, since he can only get 1 other skill. I mostly use the ST5 guy to knock down high strength players on the other team (often the other team's Big Guy), so block seems good. But I don't have much experience with stats freaks like this guy.

Wow, sick rolling ;) gotta be block, otherwise it's a waste of the str 5 surely? If you make it one more then I think dodge is obviously solid. You want him on his feet thumping things with his amazing ogre strength lol. Could see arguments for sidestep for cage breaking or tackle for blitzing. Definitely block now though

Veggente85

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
VeggenteBBT
Cyanide Username
Veggente
Country Flag
upload_2017-9-13_23-47-0.png

Catcher rolled a simple: leap?
Lino rolled a double: MB or another Guard?

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
I would normally say get another guard but since he already has blodge the MB is also a decent choice.

What are you going use leap on the catcher for?
Unless you are going into cages most of the time there is only 1 TZ so leap isn't really needed and sidestep is better for 1 turning.
If it is more of a ball retrieval role then sure hands is another option.

I think I would go for sure hands and then leap as you have an ag5 lineelf to turn into a wrestle dancer.
However if you are having trouble scoring then go for sidestep.

DeBonic

Rookie
Country Flag
I running a goblin team for the first time in CCL. After two games I have my first level up on a regular gobo. Obviously I don't expect many to survive for long, but this one happened to roll 6s. Do I go for the +STR or surehands? I could go block for a ball carrier or wrestle for a sacker, but I'm not really too sure what would be best for how ever long he lives. Team is two trolls, fanatic, looney, and 9 gobbos. On a side note, is it worth adding 50k to the team value to get an apothecary?

Street

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Street
Country Flag
I running a goblin team for the first time in CCL. After two games I have my first level up on a regular gobo. Obviously I don't expect many to survive for long, but this one happened to roll 6s. Do I go for the +STR or surehands? I could go block for a ball carrier or wrestle for a sacker, but I'm not really too sure what would be best for how ever long he lives. Team is two trolls, fanatic, looney, and 9 gobbos. On a side note, is it worth adding 50k to the team value to get an apothecary?

+ST is only worth it on a goblin who already has had doubles for something like block (Though even then, debatable), otherwise it is too bloaty in my opinion. Personally, I would take Dirty player, as having one on the team is great if you are good at fouling often with him. Also since they get sent off a lot, they tend to live longer than you would expect.

As for the apothecary, I only get one when I have a player really worth keeping, (EG a block or +MA fanatic, trolls who got doubles or a +AG goblin).

Otherwise, on your base unskilled players I find it better to not have the extra 50k TV.

Also I have a guide for goblins I made awhile back in my signature since I played a lot of goblins, don't follow everything to the letter in it as it is all my opinion, but hopefully the reasoning behind what I say in it helps you work out what you think is best for yourself. :skull:

Gio

Veteran
Country Flag
Pink Flamingos (my Chaos Team) has a Chaos Warrior with +AG and Block. He's the star of the team, picking up the ball, receiving hand-offs, retrieving the ball in heavy traffic, even throwing a quick pass now and then. He's a ton of fun to have in the team and I'd like to know what you guys recommend for his next skill up. I'd also like to see if you have some additional suggestions for the rest of his teammates. The team looks like this at present:

PINK FLAMINGOS

Chaos Warriors
Death: Block, Mighty Blow
Pestilence: Block (will soon get Guard)
War: Block, Mighty Blow
Famine: +AG, Block (will soon get something awesome)

Beasts
Envy: Block (will soon get Guard)
Greed: Block (will soon get either Sure Hands or Big Hand)
Sloth: (will eventually get Block... is usually assigned LOS duty and had to be replaced at least twice)
Wrath: Block (will soon get Mighty Blow)
Lust: Wrestle (will soon get Tackle)
Gluttony: Block (will soon get either Guard or Disturbing Presence)
Pride: Extra arms (will soon get Block)

Apothecary
3 Re-rolls
7 Fan factor
260k Treasury
1400K TV

This is the first time I play Chaos in a permanent league, which makes it quite exciting since TV is always an issue with Chaos. Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
I am not a fan of +AG on warriors. However 2 heads would mean he could dodge into a cage on a 4+.
Hope for a double on Lust so you can give him leap.
Leap Wrestle Tackle scares your opponents into making mistakes.
I like your player names but 4 horsemen and 7 sins means only 11 players when really you could do with another 1 or 2 for when someone gets injured or KO'd.
Also I prefer MB on the beasts and Guard on the warriors for a 2nd skill. It is a lot easier for your opponent to knock the ST3 guard away than the ST4 guard.

Gio

Veteran
Country Flag
You're definitely rigth about Guard first on Warriors rather than Beasts... I'll try my best to correct that point as soon as possible.
I'm trying to maximize SPP allocation, and I've suffered a few casualties, but I'll buy some new players soon enough (3 more beastmen=Unholy Trinity, Mino=Apocalypse); though I don't want my TV to be too far ahead from the rest of the teams, and thus give too many Inducements.
If I don't roll doubles for Lust, I was thinking about Prehensile Tail after Tackle.
I'm actually hoping for a double on Famine and then Leap might be even scarier on her... who knows, I might get lucky. Otherwise, I think you're right, Two heads might be the next best thing.

Last edited:

Deithwen

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Deithwen
Cyanide Username
Deithwen
Country Flag
That skelly rolled a double, is there any sensible choice for him but Guard? If I had Guard on my TG's I'd seriously consider skipping it, but as it stands it seems like the most appealing option. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• 20170921210855_1.jpg
    20170921210855_1.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 210

Ravers

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ravers
Country Flag
That skelly rolled a double, is there any sensible choice for him but Guard? If I had Guard on my TG's I'd seriously consider skipping it, but as it stands it seems like the most appealing option. Am I missing something?

Guard is the obvious choice. Unless you want some crazy build there is no other skill on a double that comes close for a Khemri Skelly. Especially as you have been lucky enough to roll doubles on the 2 TG's to level.
I generally go MB, then Guard on TGs (unless get double then Block). Wrestle on the 1st normal for a skelly, then DP the 2nd, Guard if a double. It seems to work for me.

Deithwen

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Deithwen
Cyanide Username
Deithwen
Country Flag
Guard is the obvious choice. Unless you want some crazy build there is no other skill on a double that comes close for a Khemri Skelly. Especially as you have been lucky enough to roll doubles on the 2 TG's to level.
I generally go MB, then Guard on TGs (unless get double then Block). Wrestle on the 1st normal for a skelly, then DP the 2nd, Guard if a double. It seems to work for me.
Thanks! I'd think if you rolled Guard then you'd have to take Block instead of Wrestle?

Status
Not open for further replies.