1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VI

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Dec 10, 2016.

1. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Easy question, do you take +MA on a 6+4 roll on a rookie necro wight? Other skills on the team are block golem, block wolf, dp zombie, guard ghoul and guard wight.

2. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I'd take Guard.

3. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    Guard is WAY better short term, MA is slightly better long term.

4. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I wouldn't bother either. A wight with 5 normal skills is still pretty good and having the extra skill earlier is better.

5. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Cheers all

DireSickFish likes this.
  6. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    My rule of thumb for movement increases is generally take movement increases on your fastest player type, and generally don't take it on slower players. On Necro teams, the wolves and ghouls are already faster than the wights, and I don't see MV 7 being all that beneficial. You're probably mostly blitzing with the wolves, and your ghouls are probably your emergency safeties anyway.

One exception is I would take move on a Treeman.

7. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    That is pretty much the same as my rule.
    I also take it on the main ball carrier on running teams.

8. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Ok same wight, not taking the MA but what about tackle instead of guard? The reason is that guard ghoul, normally I'd want one wrackle ghoul as a sacker but with the guard ghoul going for blodge i'd like my second ghoul to get sure hands and be the ball carrier. I suppose I could build a wrestle wolf but I'm reluctant to get wrestle on my rookie wolf when I don't know if its going to get a double at some point. So then there's nowhere for tackle to go for a while. Frenzy is ersatz tackle, but its not as good for attacking cages I find because of the tendency to frenzy into -2d against and I do have a bunch of dodge coming up - dark elves, orc with a dodge carrier, goblins, vamps - ok there's not that much dodge and guard is great. Dilemma.

9. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Guard will be better against the orcs and the vamps. Tackle better against the darkies and the gobos.
    I'd go for guard but there is nothing wrong with tackle.

TravelScrabble likes this.
  10. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    +MA Wights are very nice for keeping up with the ghouls and reducing the GFI's or chance that the ghoul has to run out unprotected. But obviously its better later on than as the first skill. I think it's a a better choice for Undead where your wights will be your main blitzers. Since necro wights tend to get bogged down more often I think I would go for guard as well.

sbr32 and TravelScrabble like this.
  11. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    I already have 2 blodge guard lino, so maybe I can have too much guard :D I will probably simply take Wrestle and use him for LoS duty. I will buy a catcher in order to have a player for one turn, I want to try the "sure feets first" route.

12. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    @Impoz I would take Catch. No conflict of interests involved. :D

13. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    +agi block sure hands tackle pesti on my ukbbl nurgle team rolled normals?

I gave him tackle as I don't have any others and not muc to take to improve his ball carrier abilities.

Thinking ko return, two heads, or strip ball?

14. DireSickFish

DireSickFish Active Member

Steam Username:
    SickFish
    Cyanide Username:
    DireSickFish
    Country Flag:
    Fend or Foul Appearance are also options if you want to upgrade his ball handling game a little. It'll make him getting hit slightly more punishing for opponents. I don't like taking Strip on tackle players, seems to much like doubling up. Could also go Stand firm for those sweet sweet sideline cages.

Orielensis likes this.
  15. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I don't think KO return is really needed as with a 2+ pick up with reroll an extra chance to catch the kick off isn't really needed and most of your team is MA6 so getting into a cage is easier than with orcs or dwarves.
    I'd probably go for 2 heads.

Ravers likes this.
  16. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    2 Heads for me Jeff, makes him better on offence and always a threat on defence.

DireSickFish likes this.
  17. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I've got another slightly tricky one. It's the same Underworld team as before (BB1, rough league of mostly veteran teams with veteran coaches, very bashy). Any by the way, the AG5/Block Linerat died a few matches after I posted here - very fitting!

Anyway, this next player is my ST4/MB/Claw/Tackle Blitzer, who reached Superstar status and rolled a normal skill. There are a lot of great skills he could get, and I basically want them all, which is making this difficult. At the top of my list are Frenzy, Two Heads and Juggernaut. The idea behind Frenzy is pretty straightforward: more hits (while also opening some special play possibilities). Two Heads and Juggernaut are not as obvious, but basically Two Heads would allow him to get where he's needed more often (and he is the one true playmaker on my team), while Juggernaut would help deal with Stand Firm mostly (and the occasional Wrestle), as well as allowing him to retreat from a :bothdown: block. Piling On is also worth mentioning, but I'm not looking at it too closely - I like the Blitzer better standing up with his ST4 than on the ground. Guard is another consideration, but I find that most opponents out-guard and out-strength me considerably, so my best bet is to apply localized pressure, rather than comitting to a brawl.

To put some more context to it: I've got a lvl5 Troll, lvl5 Thrower (Block/MB/Claw/Two Heads), the rest of the rats are now reduced to rookies. The Gobbos provide the usual utility (one DP, one Wrestle, one Big Hand, one Horns) and some Two Heads.

Did I overlook any good skills? Does anyone have any recommendations?

18. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    If you only have 1 guard then frenzy could get you into trouble , you will have to be far more careful where you blitz and you are forced to follow up so could end up in contact and give away free hits on your best player.
    I'd probably go for Juggs as you have another Claw MB player who already has 2 heads.

sbr32 and Borke like this.
  19. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    On my Wood Elf team, AG 5 Lineman got doubles. This team also has two strip ball War Dancers, and an AG 5, Dodge, Wrestle, Tackle lineman.

I was originally thinking of going Dodge->Sure Hands->Leap to make him a ball retriever. Now, I'm tempted to get Guard->Leap for potential 2D blocks inside a cage, but that leaves me with no obvious player to take Sure Hands on (unless I put it on one of the War Dancers). It also means this guy won't have Dodge, Block or Wrestle for a long time, leaving him very vulnerable to blocks.

I only have 1 Guard player, a ST 4 lineman with Guard and no other skills.

20. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Well AG5 , guard is really good but they really also want block , dodge and leap.
    So if you take it you want to get SPP on him as fast as possible.

I wouldn't expect him to live long if you go guard then leap so dodge is the safer option.

Veggente85 likes this.