1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VI

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Dec 10, 2016.

1. DireSickFish

DireSickFish Active Member

Steam Username:
    SickFish
    Cyanide Username:
    DireSickFish
    Country Flag:
    I'd probobally go +MV then BT on his next level. MV8 is insane. Just keep him from getting based.

2. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I am not sure MA8 is worth it on a saurus.
    He wants break tackle and either PO,tackle or frenzy.
    If you are thinking PO then get that 1st as it gets him SPP quicker and is useful against whoever he is stood next to.
    If you prefer tackle then get BT 1st as without it you can't pick on the dodge players.
    If frenzy then the order doesn't matter as much.

I'd probably go for frenzy and give one of the block guys MB PO as it works better with the +MA.

3. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I have Big Crunch 2 Wood Elves with skills pending

Blodge Line Elf rolled 6+4. I am pretty sure +MA is not the right answer. I am thinking Side Step or possibly Fend.

Rookie Thrower got a normal. Most guides I see say take Accurate first but I am thinking I would prefer Block or Dodge first.

4. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    MA actually isn't terrible given he has blodge already, if not then yeah ss or fend with pros and cons to both. SS is probably the better screening skill and fend the better take a hit skills which are his two jobs presumably so pick the one you use him for more.

As for the saurus this is a case where I think MA 8 is not something he needs for his role and there are lots of good normal skills to take.

Ravers likes this.
  5. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I'd go for sidestep.
    All fend really does is stop him having to dodge away next turn so it is great on AG3 or less players.
    Since he is AG4 and already has dodge starting the turn next to someone is a lot less of a problem.
    Sidestep is better for screening , means he can't just be pushed along the line to take more blocks and makes the sidelines safer.

Regarding the thrower. Taking accurate over block or dodge depends on how quickly you like to score.
    If your preferred approach is the quick score against bash teams to give you 2 chances at a defensive TD or a slow score with you hoping to stop their drive. Scoring quick and you want Accurate. Trying to stall and you want block or dodge.
    I go for the score quick and defensive TD so take accurate 1st.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Ravers likes this.
  6. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    The Real Wyrmwood (REALLY wish I'd thought to go with "Hagpox" just a bit earlier) is a pretty bog standard Nurgle team so far.

Except one of my Nurgle Warriors, Grubber Muckslap, rolled a +1 AGI and I gave it to him.

He also has Block.

Today he made level 4 and rolled doubles! Two fives. That lets him choose between a nonstandard skill, +1 MA, and +1 AV.

I am tempted by Dodge, although no one else on the team has Dodge and I know its value is less the fewer players there are on the team who have it. I am also tempted by +1 MA. I also know I SHOULD be giving this guy Guard.

I have started using this guy as a BC, partly because it is funny and partly because he happens to be in the right place and the right time a lot. He has made, I think, 2 of the last 3 TDs I have scored.

Would it make any sense to develop him further this way? I'm thinking +1 MA and then Extra Arm and Two Heads. Or is that a waste of a blocker?

7. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    Edit. Urgh plus Agi on a NW. Well you've done it so if you want to keep going down that route Extra Arms gives him plus 1 to pick ups and catches. Still Move 4 though! Dodge makes him a lot harder to knock down but with Move 4 and Agi 3 actually dodging is going to be risky at best. Plus Move still only leaves him with 5 move and makes him 200 TV for a 5/4/3/9 player with Block:eek:.

Personally I would fire him but each to their own;).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  8. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, I think I'd fire him as well. I'm also not a proponent of Chaos Warriors taking +AG, but at least they are MA5 and AG3 to begin with, so with +AG he could at a stretch be called mobile, and can occasionally be called upon to carry the ball or even pass.

But you don't want to be carrying the ball with Nurgle Warriors, or Nuffle forbid pass with them, and as Ravers pointed out, he's not exactly mobile suddenly, now that he has AG3. Which means that the +AG is 40k of TV that's getting you nothing in return, AND you even push the warrior deeper into the SPP, meaning his further skills will come more slowly. It's a shame that you lose the Block if you fire and rehire him. But at least you get a lot of TV back in return :)

9. DireSickFish

Steam Username:
    SickFish
    Cyanide Username:
    DireSickFish
    Country Flag:
    +MV is more valuable for a ball carrier than the dodge. He's ST4 already, so is difficult to knock over. I'd take Sure hands next then look at two heads. Nurgle CW ball carrier is unconventional, but you committed to it when you took the +AG. So I'd roll with it.

10. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I'd just fire him. Even with the +Ma and +AG he is only MA5 AG3 and that is a lot of TV for a ballcarrier that is worse than a rookie pest.
    The only stat you want to take on a nurgle warrior is +ST. The rest are all worse than a normal skill.

11. acrozatarim

acrozatarim New Member

Country Flag:
    Back once again with skill-up questions for my Undead after a really brutal match. On the one hand, my ST4 AG4 super-ghoul got a career-ending ST bust injury, and another of my skilled up ghouls outright died (thankfully not my other AG4 ball-carrier ghoul). On the other, I got three skill-ups. They're all on experienced players and I'm not sure what to go with.

Mummy: Has Block, Break Tackle and Guard already. Normal skill-up. Obvious choice is Stand Firm, although Grab also appeals - it's been handy on the other mummy who has it. Not sure which to go for, or if there's anything else I should be looking at?

Wight: Guard, Mighty Blow, Tackle. Rolled a double! Obvious choice would be Dodge to help keep him on his feet better. Should I, however, be looking at the possibility of Jump Up instead? Gets him back up and Blocking if he does get put down and, in the purely theoretical event he hits Level 5, I can take Piling On to make him a real killer.

Zombie. Guard, Block, Fend. This guy. This fucking guy. He keeps getting the MVP. He's gotten it in nearly a third of the matches he's played in! This is getting ridiculous at this point. Anyway, he rolled a 10 (not a double). I really don't think it's worth adding +MV or +AV to a zombie, even this zombie. OTOH I'm running out of good normal skills to give him. I don't want Tackle - already have two other Tacklers - so I guess it's Dauntless or Kick at this point. I don't have a kicker atm - but then, I find it really hard to take advantage of it with Undead, as the ghouls are the only ones really fast enough to exploit a kick location and they're just so fragile...

Anyways, all thoughts and comments welcome!

12. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I like having kick on a zombie. It is not an essential skill like it is with the elven teams but it is still useful as a deep kick against slow teams means if the commit to the LoS it can be 3 turns before they get into a proper cage. It also means that elf teams need to pick up and pass back to their thrower if they want to sit deep for the passing game. That is 2 extra dice rolls they need to make so a chance of them using a reroll or possibly even turning over and leaving the ball in a good spot.
    Jump Up then PO for the wight and Grab and SF are both good for the mummy

13. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    I also like kick on undead. It can really help after that 6 turn drive when you want to keep a bash team from scoring in 2 or 3 turns. Making them start deep reliably is pretty valuable.

14. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Wow, had not expected so much negative towards the Nurgle Warrior BC, but I guess I understand it now that I think about it.

Just one question, though - DireSickFish, why would you go with Sure Hands over Extra Arm? Since he could get either without needing doubles...

15. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    If you assume he is never going to be a receiver then sure hands is better.
    Generally off the kick off you don't want to use a reroll on the pick up. You just have players protecting the ball in case it fails.
    In this case a 1 in 9 chance of failure is better than 1 in 6.
    More importantly he is a ST4 ballcarrier so when in a cage anyone leaping in will be 2 dice against.
    That is only a 1 in 9 or 1 in 4 chance of success depending on wrestle. ie it is a big risk for the opponent without much chance of success.
    However with strip ball those odds go up to 4 in 9 or 25 in 36 if you don't have sure hands.

If you are playing chaos however I would take extra arms on a goat as he can switch to a potential receiver if you get an AG on another goat and want to change that into your main ballcarrier.

16. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Yo guys, asking for your input this time.

I play Norse over CCL, and the current roster is
    lvl2 yhetee - MB
    2x lvl2 Ulfs - both with MB
    4x linemen, one with Fend
    2x rookie runners
    1x rookie berserker

and now I have lvl 3 berserker who I need advise with. He rolled +AG on his first skill, and I can take a normal (general and ST access). Which one should it be? Due to +AG, this guy has been my ball carrier, and also the sacker if possible (easy reach with JU and AG4). What skill would you take?

17. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Wouldn't use him to carry since its a bit of a waste of his skills agi4 means guard could be good on him though. Guess that's what Id do.

18. DireSickFish

Steam Username:
    SickFish
    Cyanide Username:
    DireSickFish
    Country Flag:
    Extra Arms makes picking up a 5/6 to pickup 83.3% Chance. Sure Hands gives you 8/9 chance to pickup, 88.9%. So your odds of picking up are better AND it won't cost you a RR. Being ST4 taking SH give you protection from your worst enemy in Strip Ball.

Against a ST4 ball carrier my best odds for a sack are typically to -2d block uphill and home my strip works to knock it free, as you actually have decent odds of it. Being protected from that makes it much more risky to take the uphill block.

19. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    Move 9 Wardancer with Mighty blow rolled 6+4. Should I go movement or tackle / frenzy?

20. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    MA10 makes 1 turning really easy. That changes they way your opponent has to play. 2-1 down on turn 10 and the bash teams need to take out lots of your players and score quick if they want to win. That means they take more risks and you end up with more victories.

Sure tackle would be nice but against bash tackle isn't really needed and in a game of elfbowl MA10 is better.

TravelScrabble likes this.