1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VI

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Dec 10, 2016.

1. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Doubles on a 16 SPP Wrestle Catcher in my Big Crunch Wood Elf team. I am assuming Mighty Blow? Or should I just stick with Tackle?

2. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    ST2 , MB won't get used much.
    Guard is less useful with wrestle but probably still better than tackle.
    Are you having problems scoring? There is always NoS.

3. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    Underworld team gets 6+4 on Skaven Lineman. I'm unsure if it makes sense to take the move on a Lineman. I probably would take it on a Thrower, since they're the ball carriers, but I'm less sure for a Lineman.

4. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    Depends what else you have and what type of competition?

5. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    This is Little Crunch, so long term team development. No players with agility or +MA. The team has two Throwers with Block and Extra Arms, a Wrestle Guard Lineman, one Storm Vermin has Mighty Blow, Claw, Piling On and Horns, the other has Tackle. And I have a ST 3 Wrestle Goblin (who's getting Horns and Two Heads if he can survive that long).

6. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I’d only go to mv8 if you want a designated catcher for swift changes of position. In which case block and extra arms are next but you have two throwers that have those already so I’m not convinced. I suspect I would just go block as you have most bases covered and that gives you the most options if a different Skaven dies. If no one dies I’d probably look to build him as a part of the screen so two heads and fend. You have better players you want to protect and he will often end up standing between your good players and the other team.

Ravers likes this.
  7. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    I was thinking along the same lines as you, but my thoughts were not nearly as detailed as yours are. :)

8. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I'd agree that a normal skill is much more helpful both short and long term. But instead of Block, I'd go for another Wrestle. The other Lineman with Wrestle/Guard wants to play close to the action. I really like having a dedicated sweeper, if my Linemen survive that long, and that means Wrestle/Tackle/Horns/Two Heads (on a very developed team, I might go Wrestle/Two Heads/Tackle/Horns).

DireSickFish and Werebat like this.
  9. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    I agree with @Borke

I suppose MA just doesn’t have great potential unless he were to roll it again (gutter runner!).

10. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    The Real Wyrmwood's Churr of Glowing Rift levels up again, and rolls doubles!

He rolled doubles at level 1, and I gave him Leader, and I always wonder if it was a good choice. The RR certainly does tend to get used, so maybe yes.

But what to do with him now? He's a Nurgle Pestie with the usual Horns, Rot, and Regen, plus Leader, Wrestle, Tackle, and Strip Ball. Yeah, he's the ball sacker, but it troubles me how often I somehow forget that he has Strip Ball.

I'm thinking maybe Dodge or Jump Up, or Diving Tackle. Or should I just ignore the double and go with... what?

We have a nice killer already who just got Tackle, an up and coming killer with Block/MB, and a pestie with Block/SH who is one TD from leveling up. Other players are pretty standard for Nurgle but one of the Warriors has +1 STR.

Any advice?

Edit: After thinking some, I think I may just forget the double and go with Extra Arms. Why? Because this guy is usually trying to cover the far side of the pitch opposite the ball carrier, which means opposing teams invariably kick the ball to HIM instead of the guy with Sure Hands. So he ends up being the player who has to pick up the ball at the start of an aggressive drive more often than any of the others. Plus, as a ball sacker, he is generally in the vicinity of a ball that has been knocked loose from the opposing BC. Plus it makes him something of a catching threat for what that's worth (would help with those vanity passes I guess).

Thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  11. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I mean I wouldn't. Dodge is a really important skill for sacker case you need to be able to reach the ball carrier. An out there choice is leap because with vll legs next yuo can leap into a cage on a 3+ which is very good really.

DireSickFish likes this.
  12. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I really liked the idea of Leap until I realized it would be 100SPP until VLL.

Mighty Blow? Taking out the enemy ball carrier is always a good thing.

I like Jump Up just a hair more than Dodge, but I am biased because I am terrified of AG3 Dodges anymore.

13. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I like Jump Up. If you sack the BC but don't break armor, you often find yourself in the situation that you need to go after him again, but you might not have the reach (cause you Wrestled, for example). JU makes this sacker almost always a threat.

I'd have loved Leap, but @sbr32 is right, without the VLL, it's not reliable enough.

14. Werebat

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    You guys make a good case for Jump Up, and maybe that ability will somehow remind me that he has Strip Ball.

I realized that Leap might have been a good choice shortly after I'd taken Leader. Also Pass. Heck if I'd gone that route he could have been Pass/Block/SureHands/Accurate by now. Extra Arm on anyone else and suddenly I'd have had a passing game.

15. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    table top Lizard team, Side Step Sure Hands Skink rolled a normal.

I am thinking Sure Feet or Sprint, not sure which is better first.

Jump Up is also decent but since he should never be hit ....

16. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    Assuming you're reasonably good at 1TTD, I would take Sure Feet first. In order for Sprint to matter, you have to already have succeeded at two GFI. You only have about a 70% chance (25/36) of succeeding two GFI without using a reroll. With Sure Feet, you can use one GFI with only 1/36 chance of failure, and even if you fail both rolls, it won't cost you a team reroll. You'll use Sure Feet far more frequently than Sprint. Of course you're still going to end up in situations where you need that one extra space of movement, and you'll wish you've taken Sprint.

Personally, I found that with my BC1 Lizard team, you're reasonably likely to get enough pushes to get your guy into scoring position (depending of course on opponent setup). The harder part is getting the ball to the ball carrier, since you're only AG3, and your Skinks have the Stunty pass penalty (and nobody who can take Pass skills). A Touchback on the kick goes a long way to getting that 1TTD.

Sprint is better on a player that already has a +MA increase (or even better, two). With MA 9 and Sprint, you only need 1 push to get your player into scoring position. And of course with MA 10 and Sprint, you don't even need a push to be able to attempt the 1T TD.

sbr32 likes this.
  17. SirSebstar

SirSebstar Member

Country Flag:
    a sidestep skink with sure hands needs to survive.
    if survival is not your main concern, than i would go for diving tackle. sidestep and diving tackle make a great combo.
    sprint makes the OTT easier, but sure feet can get you tht extra free reroll.
    if ott is your main goal, go for sprint. if you often gfi to pick up the ball somewhere (and you should not really need to otherwise) then gofor sure feet.
    tl dr: sure feet is the answer to your question imho
    EDIT: replaced sprint with sure feet cause thats what i meant, like writer below)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  18. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Since he has sure hands he isn't going to be the one scoring the 1ttd so I would go for sure feet. You are rarely going to need to gfi 3 times so better to make the gfi's safer.

Znarx and sbr32 like this.
  19. SirSebstar

SirSebstar Member

Country Flag:
    duh me, edited text

20. Werebat

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Damn. I was talking to Fallowheart last night and he suggested Frenzy. Haven't yet made the choice and now I'm seriously wondering about Frenzy or maybe even just taking Leap and using it for desperate emergencies.