1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VI

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, and my stats freak (ST 5 AG 5 guy) is already Niggled, so he's not likely to last forever. Of course, the last time I was up to 13 players, I had 4 players killed in the span of 3 or 4 games.

2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Says the Chaos coach :p don't trust him Znarx. Also nice start to the season J, my elves are going to give you the run around when you get up here.

3. jounisii

jounisii Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    jounisii
    Country Flag:
    Hah, Znarx. Suckers have made the surge to 12/13 several times and it has lasted for 3 to 5 macthes at best. So, go +ST. Better to have potential players on the pitch when you'll eventually get smashed. And that ST4 is protection in itself making it harder to get 2 dice on you. Guard, the other real choice, doesn't offer that protection that well.

Sod off, TS :p And thanks. I'm still a shitty bash coach so you would have a field day if we ever met...

4. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I'm not so sure on the +ST, I think I'd prefer Guard, especially if you have no Guard elsewhere on the team. Guard is amazing, it can create so many blocking opportunities for your other players. Having a Guard player hanging back on defense can prevent an opposing coach from aggressively basing your players.

There is a slight chance that this player later gets another double, at which point you'll probably go "I wish I had taken +ST earlier, then I'd have a ST4 Blodgestepper with Guard now", but by that time this Guard player will have won you more matches than the naked +ST guy would have.

5. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    So, Wyrmwood has gotten its second legend, Gruechitter the Foul. Always in the shadow of the nimbler (but no less strong) legendary Wyrmwood blitzer Zeem Warpfire, Gruechitter is the bruiser of the two and the only one with Piling On.

Unfortunately, he also has TWO niggles and got himself a concussion in the match where he hit level seven. I considered cutting him from the team, but the truth is that I do not see the original BC lasting long enough for me to level up another blitzer, so I'm going to stick with him until he dies or gets a real CEI.

I rolled nothing special for his final skill. So far he has:

(Block), +1 STR, Mighty Blow, Claw, Tackle, Piling On

I had been planning to give him Horns on a normal roll and Jump Up on a double, but then I noticed Frenzy. Wyrmwood has always been something of a story team and it made some sense that Gruechitter might have suffered from his concussion and gotten less able to control himself -- hence Frenzy.

I have never played with a Frenzy player before and know they can be a liability, especially to themselves. But, I'm a little ambivalent about whether or not I want him around anymore anyway.

Horns seems like the safe choice -- and STR 5 on a blitz is pretty damned nice. But Frenzy could be more interesting. OTOH, most of the coaches left in the BC are pretty experienced and unlikely to leave players vulnerable to crowd surfing. And Gruechitter is one of the few players on the team who does NOT have Dodge, so getting him out of a sticky situation he got into with Frenzy would be problematic.

What do you think? Is there another obvious option I am not even seeing here?

6. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I LOVE the fluff of his compiling injuries driding him to Frenzy, so that's my pick. :Do

I think it is also a decent pick without the fluff. No you won't get many easy crowd surfs, but your opponents will have to give something up to prevent it.

7. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    Frenzy on a ST 4 player is less of a liability than on a ST 3 player, since you can still get an unassisted 2d block on the second block against a ST 3 opponent as long as your victim doesn't have any assists. Coupled with Tackle, this will give you a very high chance of getting even a blodger down on 4 dice (or 6 if you want to use a team reroll). Frenzy is also better than just crowd surfing. You can also use it to reposition opponent's players so you can throw even more blocks at them in case your first two blocks didn't get them down.

8. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    Also for one turning.

9. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    This is true in general, but Wyrmwood is an Underworld team and I assumed that most of their one-turning is done via Throw Team Mate and not chain-pushes. Of course, Wyrmwood is not the typical Underworld team, and they've got better options for a "traditional" one-turner than most Underworld teams.

10. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    Oh sorry I for some reason thought we were talking about woodies ...

11. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    It's still good information for some else trading the thread who's thinking about putting Frenzy on a different player.

Orielensis likes this.
  12. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Frenzy it is, then. Ought to make next season interesting...

13. Overloathe

Overloathe New Member

Country Flag:
    Block, Dodge, +AG, 2 Heads linerat on underworld. He is the most developed player on the team (an mvp magnet...), and the main ballcarrier/playsmaker.
    He just reached 77 spp, normal lvl up roll.
    What do you suggest?
    I'm thinking in Sure Hands or Big Hand maybe...

14. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Big Hands for picking up the loose balls. Or one of Horns, Dauntless, Tackle, Strip Ball, Frenzy for getting the balls loose.

15. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I wouldn't go Horns, since he doesn't have Tackle (or Strip Ball). I can't imagine you blitzing with him too often, and he would require at least two skills, in my mind, to make him a useful "sacker". Of course, he might be your best option for sacking (or simply blitzing opponents to induce pain), simply because he is so agile, but if that's the case, I would rather focus on getting another player or two to fill that role.

This Lineman is in my mind designed to steal balls that are on the ground and then run away with them. He is also designed to stay upright if he's getting blitzed because things went south. I was toying with the idea of Sure Hands for a while, because the skill seems to compliment both roles well (stealing balls and keeping them). If he didn't have Dodge already, I would probably still go with Sure Hands, but since he does have Dodge, you can use team rerolls more for the pickup, and therefore I would say Big Hand.

Which is strange, as I always saw Big Hand as a Gobbo skill, but on this player I think it makes sense.

16. Ben

Ben New Member

Country Flag:
    My Nurgle team played their second game last night and got two advances. Here's what I have:

Beast - regular skill (Guard or Break Tackle I assume).
    3x Warriors with Block.
    3x Pestigor, one of whom rolled a double skill.
    4x Rotters.

We use the new d3 method of awarding MVPs and give a second MVP to another player of our choice after each game. This makes it much easier than usual to develop the Warriors and Beast. All the Warriors are getting towards a second skill I think, which will probably be a mixture of Guard and Claw. I'm mostly up against bashy teams (Dwarfs, Undead, Orcs).

I've not been getting the SPPs with the Pestigors as quickly as I'd hoped, only scoring once in two matches, so I've been putting some MVPs on them too. I was after one for ball carrying and a couple to hunt down ball carriers (Strip Ball, Wrestle, Tackle - that kind of build).

Having rolled a double for my first Pestigor's first skill, I'm not sure what to do. The obvious choice is Dodge, but with only one on my team he'll be an easy target for any opponents with Tackle. Are there outfield choices I should be considering?

I thought about Leap for blitzing into cages with his horns - but with AG3 he's not so reliable (I could get Very Long Legs, but it would delay Block/Wrestle, Strip Ball, Tackle).

Another option is to take a passing skill. He can later take Strong Arm and Sure Hands on his next regular rolls and I could develop some Extra Arms receivers - I know passing plays are risky, but this could add a surprise tactic to my offensive play.

Jump Up or Diving Tackle might be other options worth considering.

17. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    Beast gets Guard or maybe stand firm depending on the other teams in the league. Mostly speed teams is SF. Mostly bash is Guard.

On the pest. It's either jump up for long term killer or dodge for a ball handlier. Though you are likely to see more tackle early on that sort of league. I might just skip for block if it's a short to medium term league.

18. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I prefer Stand Firm as the first skill on the Beast, unless you are in a very heavy bash environment.

I agree with cj on the Pestigor.

19. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    On the Beast, I'd take Stand Firm without any hesitation. Guard secondary. The Pestigor is far more tricky - I am the type of Coach that loves developing a player for passing, but I wouldn't go down that route straight away because you might get AGI 4 on a different Pestigor later on. The safest bet is to go defensive and pick Dodge (and then Block next time, on Normals) meaning you can still develop the player in any way you'd want later on. Besides, getting a Blodger on a Nurgle team with only 16 SPP is pretty darn great.

But you can also choose to look at it this way: You have access to 4 Pestigors in total on your roster. Long term and in an ideal scenario, I imagine you'd want to develop one into a very defensive ball-handler, one into an unstoppable killer, one into a sacker, and possibly one into a passer of some kind. Which of these 4 roles will help you start winning games the most? I'd imagine it'd be the ball-handler (so Dodge!) or the killer - The first mentioned of these two being more in need of doubles than the other one! Plenty of great killer skills without ever rolling any doubles. (Block, Mighty Blow, Piling On, Claws, Tackle, Frenzy, etc..)

20. Overloathe

Overloathe New Member

Country Flag:
    Thank you, St Clod and Borke, I went with Big Hand :)