1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VI

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Dec 10, 2016.

1. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Sure feet, sure hands, sprint, jump up, strip ball, fend I guess are the main options. I always like sure hands on an agi 5 leaper though it doesn’t get used that much tbf, sure feet is underrated.

2. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    I think I go for fend...

TravelScrabble likes this.
  3. Veggente85

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    When cpomb chorf ignored my unprotected wd in order to blitz a rookie elf I knew that I made the right choice...

Spafe likes this.
  4. Veggente85

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    Block should be prioritized over +1 mov on a tree or to opposite? I'm in doubt between going less down and coming back more often :D

5. Dionysian

Dionysian Member

Country Flag:
    Block, MA, and JU are all ridiculously close in power on 55, so dealer's choice.

6. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    I would get move on the tree. Block is nice but doesn't come into play as much. Also, MA is 3/36 and doubles are 6/36, so you're more likely to get a future doubles roll (that isn't 5,5) than get a future MA roll. I had a MA 3 tree in the past, and currently have a block tree. I would much, much prefer the MA.

Guaranteed being able to stand up is much better than sometimes surviving a block or sometimes being able to knock someone down.

7. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    For a Tree, the other skill you should be giving consideration to is Pro. (At least on a Wood Elf team. Halflings are possibly a different story). Pro can help with Take Root, Stand Up, and block rolls. None of the other skills can help with Take Root.

I wouldn't take Jump Up on a 5+5 roll. With +MA, the extra movement will come in handy a lot more often than Jump Up's other ability of letting you throw a block from prone on a 4+ roll. Although one disadvantage of a MA 3 treeman is if he gets a movement break, he goes back to MA 2, and will need to roll to stand up. But if you had Jump Up instead, would you really keep a MA 1 treeman, even when he can stand up with no roll?

8. Dionysian

Dionysian Member

Country Flag:
    MV2 JU gives you more range from prone than MV3, in addition to the useful tho somewhat niche JU-block possibility. MV3 lets you stand without rolling, but standing costs 3 so you won't have any movement left. JU lets you stand for free and you'll have 2 MV left before GFI.

9. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I prefer Jump Up to MA on trees but I play flings so blitz with them more.
    I guess with woodies they don't get knocked down as much as the bash teams won't focus on knocking them down.
    I would be tempted by Pro.

10. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    You are of course right. With Wood Elves, if my Treeman is on the ground, it means he was either blocked down, or he failed a block. I almost never do a GFI or Dodge with my tree. So if my tree is on the ground, standing up is good enough, as he will still most likely be marking someone. I almost never blitz with my tree.

Things are likely different for a Halfling team.

11. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    My ridiculous Wood Elf team just got slightly more ridiculous.

I have two AG 5 players leveled up, both normal rolls:
    War Dancer: Strip Ball, AG 5
    Line Elf: Block, Dodge, AG 5, Sure Hands

This team also has:
    Line Elf: Wrestle,Tackle, Dodge, AG 5, Leap
    Line Elf: ST 4, Block, Dodge, Guard

The other War Dancer is MA 9, AG 3, Tackle.

The Dancer is probably getting Side Step. Leap seems like the obvious choice for the Line Elf, but I'm not sure if there's something else that might be better. The way I usually play is one of the other AG 5 players goes in for the strip ball or sack, and the guy with Sure Hands tries to retrieve it. This team could really use some additional tackle, but maybe that's better on the ST 4 guy (who is also reasonably close to leveling) or one of the Catchers.

12. Veggente85

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    I would take sidestep and leap too...

Those elves are supposed to die at some time...

13. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I was thinking Tackle for the Wardancer at first, until I saw the Lineman. Now I'm with you two on Sidestep. For the leveled Lineman, Leap has the highest upside; I'd consider Sure Feet as well, which is worse than Leap for getting to the lose ball, but better than Leap for getting rid of it afterwards.

14. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    I'd take Side Step on both. But Leap is a very acceptable choice as well. :D

15. Zorn Bak

Zorn Bak New Member

Country Flag:
    Skink with +strength, block, side step roles a normal at level 4.

I am thinking jump up or diving tackle. Jump up is nice when he survive a block while ending up prone or stunned both on offense and defense. Diving tackle would be very annoying while harassing the opposing ball carrier but is quite useless when he is the carrier himself or the other team never actually go for dodges. I would probably not use this skink to randomly trap players with diving tackle. I have another skink with side step and diving tackle.

What Do you think? Anything else? Sure feet, catch?

16. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Is he your main ballcarrier?
    If yes then take sure feet. If you have an AG4 or a surehands skink who carries the ball then take diving tackle.

17. Zorn Bak

Zorn Bak New Member

Country Flag:
    Most of the time I will try to carry the ball with someone else. He ends up saving the day from time to time. Sure feet should also improve his blitzing ability a bit. With only 2 team rerolls it might be the better option.

I have a sure feet, sprint, side step skink.

[​IMG]

18. Imnogoodatthis85

Imnogoodatthis85 Member

Steam Username:
    Imnogoodatthis85
    Country Flag:
    I persinally would be tempted with jump up. cause even is the ball carrier and gets knocked he still has oppurtunity to score next turn if in opponents half (and he cant pick up ball and throw it away). sure feet is also an option i know but you would need to put more protection around the skink to avoid getting knocked. sure feet next skill i would think.

19. Zorn Bak

Zorn Bak New Member

Country Flag:
    I went with jump up. I was about to go for sure feet to compensate my lack of rerolls and jump up feeling like a play to fail skill. Sure feet could also compensate for less movement from prone like jump up. What made me change my mind was that there were two situations in my previous match where jump up would have helped. In addition jump up has a surprise effect which greatly enhance its use when opppontens forget about it.

So, I won my first match of lizardmen versus necromantic, having tied 1 and lost 3 previously. Neither diving tackle, jump up or sure feet would have been used. The player in question was badly hurt by a fireball at the start of the second half.

TravelScrabble likes this.
  20. JCan

JCan Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    JCan
    Country Flag:
    So my AGI4 block lineman rolled a double after an MV bust.

What do I do? Dodge? A passing skill? Surely not fire him!?

Whigs.jpg