1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VI

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Dec 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trunkhead

Trunkhead Active Member

Steam Username:
    Skepticalz
    Cyanide Username:
    Trunkhead
    Country Flag:
    (I'm not a high elf coach)

Most HE like to do the old "run the thrower back into my own end and send everyone else deep". In that case I don't know that +str is that useful on a thrower. I'd rather have strong arm (then accurate) for that deep pass on 3+ (with RR).

But if he's going to be your main ball carrier, then +str is probably right. Feels awkward on the piece to me, HE tend to score quickly with their mv8 catchers, rather then ball control like dark elves

2. BallztotheWalla

BallztotheWalla Active Member

Country Flag:
    He has av 8 so is just a lineman you care about on offense and being elf’s you have to field him on defense anyway so it’s def worth it, it’s your easiest piece to lvl and what does he actually need other than accurate, blodge and then st4 this still leaves 1-2 skills that can be used for ss or sh and eventually both.

3. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Take the ST if you want a running game as well as the pass option.
    If your plan is just to keep the thrower back near your endzone ,throw the long pass and score quickly every time then Strong Arm is more useful.
    Having lots of AV8 means stalling is a lot better strategy for high elves than on woodies or pro and so the ST is more useful.

4. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    Ideally you eventually want 2 Throwers, one to play only on offense and one for defense, taking +ST leads to a very useful defensive Thrower.
    Alternatively go for Strong Arm to build towards an offensive Thrower who long passes every drive.

5. James Rye

James Rye Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    James Rye
    Country Flag:
    I'd take the str+ because if it is his first skill then the 2nd isn't that far away (it is an elf after all) and the likelihood to roll a normal is so high that you can get the normal skill you'd normally take first for thrower can be grabbed on his 2nd level up. If you roll double or another stat up on 2nd level up then that's a whole other question.

6. burning_phoneix

burning_phoneix Active Member

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    Got my first level up on a pro elf catcher. Want to make him more of a defensive safety: Should I pick block or dodge?

7. Trunkhead

Trunkhead Active Member

Steam Username:
    Skepticalz
    Cyanide Username:
    Trunkhead
    Country Flag:
    If he's defensive, you'd want wrestle and not block .that being said, I tend to prefer dodge as a first skill for any elf that doesn't come with it. For me, its more important for elves to reliably reposition then it is for them to hit something

8. burning_phoneix

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    Well he's not solely dedicated to defense, so I was thinking about skills like block that have dual purpose use.

9. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    With 4 pro elf catchers I want 3 with wrestle and 1 with block.

With a new team I tend to level them in the following order baring doubles or stats.

dodge , wrestle , leap
    block , dodge , sidestep
    wrestle , leap , dodge
    wrestle , dodge , tackle ( assuming you have 2 leapers still alive )

The reason being that wrestle is less useful on low TV teams as not many players have block. So start with dodge over wrestle and then the block catcher.

burning_phoneix likes this.
  10. burning_phoneix

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    If noted Pro Elf Big Crunch winner Tys123 says you go with dodge, I guess there's really no arguing.

sbr32 and stephB like this.
  11. burning_phoneix

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    Apologies for the double post but I have a bit of a problem, a good problem but a problem nonetheless.

I have a Pro Elf Blitzer who's first level up was Double Six and I picked +ST.

His second level up? Double Fives, so I have the choice between +MA or +AV or any of the categories (GASP). I really want to blodge him up but doubles is making my choice difficult.

12. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I would go with Guard. Makes him a pain in the arse for the opponents if well positioned.

13. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Take the double.
    Sure MA 8 is nice but you will end up with 4 catchers just as fast.
    Guard is the default for blitzers as blodge , guard , sidestep is just a nightmare to deal with and with ST 4 it becomes even worse.
    I know the MB will be calling to you and ST4 MB is great as you don't need to move assists in or can knock down high ST players.
    However elves don't win games by causing lots of injuries.
    They do win by having guard players positioned correctly to screw up the opponents plans.

14. Supa

Supa Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    Guard would be my choice. He's already pain with ST4 and sidestep, it should get even better with dodge later. So much synergy.

15. Modustrollens

Modustrollens Member

Country Flag:
    So, I got this freak gutter runner that just rolled 5+5, atm he has Block, Sidestep, +Agi and another +Agi, so Agi 6.
    I really don't know what to pick, since I have another MA 10 gutter runner in the team already. I also don't know about Horns, since I got this str 3 GR sacker too.

Should I go with Jump? seems kinda like a waste on agi 6 tho, he can really go anywhere already.

16. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    +AV? I mean this guy can't get hit by Claw much, he is so fast and agile. Or Foul Appearance or Fend, though I think +AV would be better if you are going that route.

Otherwise I think I would go Leap. Sure he can go anywhere now, but with Leap he could get through multiple stacked TZs even faster and more directly.

17. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Guard?
    With AG6 he can get anywhere to lend the assist for your sacker.
    Or Sure Hands for recovering the loose ball after the sacker has knocked it free.
    Dodge into 2 TZ's , pick up and dodge away all 2+ with built in reroll.

18. BallztotheWalla

BallztotheWalla Active Member

Country Flag:
    +ma always imo and esp om a gutter,
    Everything except movement can be solved by dice

Trunkhead and TravelScrabble like this.
  19. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    +MA for me. Makes it easy to one turn score and position generally. The mor MA 10 the better!

20. Modustrollens

Modustrollens Member

Country Flag:
    Yea, in the end I was between Guard or +MA, since my team is really lacking on guards.
    But I ended up taking +MA anyway, MA 10 and agi 6 is kinda gross. I'm sure that runner won't live for long.

Thanks for the answers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.