Not open for further replies.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Have been experimenting with a bretonnian team in the open ladder MM environment. Prior to blitzers getting agility access, I had seen it suggested that running only 3 blitzers helped to keep them more competitive as it kept TV down. So far, that is what I've been doing with decent results over 9 matches (5-3-1). I like fielding only 3 as it frees up my dirty player from line duty. I'm currently carrying 13 players and am looking to add one more. The TV is currenlty 1370 with 3 RR. Current roster is 3 blitzers with blodge, 3 blockers with guard and 1 unskilled, 2 linemen with block 1 with DP and 3 unskilled. The question is whether I should add the fourth blizter, or continue to try and keep TV low by adding another linemen? The biggest issue I find in matches is dealing with attrition (majority of opponents are str4 bashy teams) over the course of a match. Having a fourth 8av player that can become blodgy may help that.

I'm neither an expert on Brets nor mm but my instinct is that by inflating your tv you'll start running into even deadlier bash teams and attrition will get worse despite the extra av8.

Ging

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ging
Country Flag
Thanks for the input on the 6+6 skink guys.

It will be a choice for the long-term, hopefully.
My sensible skill-based head is saying take Sure Hands, but the "what if" gambler in me is looking at the ST3 skink potential.
I will mull it over a bit longer.

What is slightly ironic is that last week I had to turn down an +AG roll on my Krox, if only those skill rolls had been the other way around I'd have taken the +AG skink and the double on the Krox without thinking. :D

NieA7

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
NieA7
Cyanide Username
Under7
Country Flag
I'm far from being an expert on Lizardmen (probably as far from it as you can possibly get), so here's a noob question that came to my mind while reading this discussion: Is a +ST/Wrestle Skink something worth considering, at all? I'm coming from the experience of Underworld, mostly, though I've seen a few Gobbos on Goblin teams go that route before, too. So whenever I see Stunty and +ST, I immediately think of cage busting. Is that viable, or is it too expensive for what you get?

I imagine it'd be great, but the trouble is there are loads of doubles that are great on skinks - picking something is more a question of filling the gap you have rather than working out the one or two skills that are actually useful. Personally I decided early on that the saurus would do all the hitting so I built one with wrestle, leaving the skinks free to pick carrying skills when they got a double. It worked for me, but that's not to say other choices wouldn't have worked as well or better.

Ravers

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ravers
Country Flag
I've played a grand total of 7 games with lizards in the COL, so by no means an expert (I did win them all though;)). If there is one thing lizards do not lack it's Strength (well 2 things really as they do not lack movement either). I found I won games by positioning my Saurus & Krox well, and relied on the skinks to handle the ball, provide assists if needed, and most of the time score the TDs.

I have played a lot vs lizards though. They are a tough team to beat. If I can blitz your skink I am not really worried whether he is Str 2 or 3 tbh if he does not have block. What I do like is when playing vs lizards is when they muff the pick up due to Agi 3 and no sure hands, or when I have a wizard. An extra 50K on a Sidestep skink seems a lot for minimal gains unless you roll another double and get him block. So another vote for i) sure hands, ii) block here, and ignore the Strength. Though you can't have a Str 4 BlodgeStep Skink without taking Str 3 first:confused:. Tough choice. Good luck

sbr32

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
sbr32
Country Flag
Got levels on 3 Thralls tonight.

I have all 4 Vampires are Blodged and 2 have Sidestep.

I have 1 Wrestle/Tackle Thrall and 1 MA5 Wrestle Thrall.

#1. Normal roll on Niggled Thrall. About 99% chance I fire him.

#2 Double. Am considering Dodge, Leader and maybe Jump Up after TS mentioned it.

#3 6+4. I'm not completely discounting the +MA but without a +MA Vamp it seems a bit of a waste. Considering Kick, Wrestle or Block.

Anyone have any better ideas?

DireSickFish

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
SickFish
Cyanide Username
DireSickFish
Country Flag
I haven't played Vampires in years. And even then it wasn't competitive. Keeping that in mind. I'd fire the niggle. Is it your #2 vamps first skill? I'd go dodge or Guard. For Thrall #3 do you have at least 3 wrestle thralls for LOS duty? If not I'd go wrestle. But I'm weird and like to put skilled players on the LOS vs unskilled linemen. Might be a bad elf habit.

Ponghines

Rookie
Steam Username
Ponghines
Country Flag
I have a level 1 strength 4 war dancer. What do you think can be the best way to skill him up? Frenzy/Sidestep, Tackle/Wrestle?

Ravers

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ravers
Country Flag
My BC2 Norse teams star player, Glenfiddich, a runner, hit 76 SPP. Currently he is Sure Hands, Dodge, Sidestep, and plus AGI in that order, plus of course starting skills of Block & Dauntless. He is my go to guy, obviously the ball carrier but very effective in defense too. Rolled a double 4 for his level up. On a normal I was going to take Fend. I'm thinking either Guard for helping out the team, Pass for when we're in the hole, Fend for self preservation (I really don't want him injured), Leader to lose 30 TV by dropping a RR. Could even go HMP for clearing the lines in a crisis. Help! Advice appreciated.

ManBearPig

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
ManBearPig
Country Flag
I have been playing some Wood elves again. Decided I miss playing with them, and since I have gotten better maybe I can do better with them now. At any rate after second game my only Wardancer rolled a 12 on his first skill up. My instinct tells me to take the +ST, but being Woodies others options seem attractive as well. Is the +ST the right answer here? If not what would you take?

Ponghines

Rookie
Steam Username
Ponghines
Country Flag
+1S on a WD for me is less broken than +1Ag but still a must. You need a sacker and a tackler on your WDs but you'll develop them with following skills. I'll pass on the double (MB and Guard are not worth a +1S) and the only normal skill you really must have is Strip Ball but you'll soon get it anyway. Imagine if you get a +1Ag!!

Ging

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ging
Country Flag
@Ravers
I agree with TS, Guard is nice on the blodge-step runner if you're not too aggressive with it seeing as he's such a key player.

@ManBearPig
I wouldn't be looking any further than the +ST, he'll be even more of a threat.

Orielensis

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Orielensis
Cyanide Username
Orielensis
Country Flag
I would take guard too @Ravers but another skill I would be thinking about is leap.

Znarx

Courier Staff
Cyanide Username
Znarx
Country Flag
I would always take strength on a War Dancer. The only time I wouldn't take it is if the player was already ST 5 and can't take another strength increase. Being able to get 2d blocks on a ST 3 player inside a cage is awesome.

DireSickFish

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
SickFish
Cyanide Username
DireSickFish
Country Flag
I would always take strength on a War Dancer. The only time I wouldn't take it is if the player was already ST 5 and can't take another strength increase. Being able to get 2d blocks on a ST 3 player inside a cage is awesome.
And bieng able to get 2d blocks on St4 ball carriers in a cage is even more awesome.

Znarx

Courier Staff
Cyanide Username
Znarx
Country Flag
On my BC2 Wood Elf team (the one with numerous stats freaks), I had a rookie lineelf roll 12. Normally, I pretty much always advise people to take Strength when possible (except on Big Guys), but I'm actually thinking that Guard may be the way to go with this guy. I already have a ST 5 AG 5 LineElf on this team, and no Guard players. (I used to have two Guard players, but they both died. The only non-strength doubles roll on the team is Mighty Blow on a War Dancer). An unskilled Guard player seems way more useful than an unskilled ST 4 guy, especially since I already have a ST 5 player, and only one of them can blitz. I've also got a massive TV compared to the other teams in the division. My team is currently TV 2030, with the second hightest TV in the division being 1770.

Bonus question: I'm over the 150K cash limit, and have 12 rostered players, so I should probably buy another player. I have a Tree, 2 War Dancers, two catchers, one thrower, and 6 LineElfs. Should I buy a catcher or a thrower? I like to have a second thrower just in case, but my current thrower is only on 3 SPP so doesn't have any survival skills yet. I'm trying to hold on to 100K+ in cash so I can replace a Dancer if needed. One of my Dancers has AV6, so needs to be replaced eventually, but I don't want to spend that cash until I've got 13 players on the roster or so.

jounisii

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
jounisii
Country Flag
ManBearPig: Yes to +ST. ST4 dancers are frigging awesome - unless you play against them :D In my mind the only must skill on a dancer is tackle. SB goes down in value in higher levels significantly after peeps get sure hands, but on one dancer it's ok just in case. Other good normals would be side step, jump up, fend and recently I've taken dauntless pretty early with good results. Unless you have freakish ST4 dancer :p

Znarx: I actually would take the +ST. With such freaks you can actually start to base the cage in certain circumstances when you can get protection for basers. And when wussies start to base the cage, you're in trouble.

I don't know if you remember, but I like to foul with elfies. If you don't remember, I'll remind you soon enuf ;) That's why I like big rosters. A tree, 2 dancing gals/dudes, 3 catchers, 2 throwers, 6 linos is pretty much where I aim to be. So 14, maybe even more linos. You probably have noticed that them wussies leave the pitch easily. Since I like to start by defending, having some sort of team is nice when you have your drive. Another reason for those big rosters. Looking at your team composition, I agree with TS and I would get a catcher now. When you have skilled the thrower you have and you know which way he's gonna go (defensive/offensive), then I would get the 2nd thrower to fill the gap. Btw, early +AG throwers should always always always go defensive way :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.