1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VII

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Gallows Bait, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    In line with previous threads, the length of the last had become unduly long. Please use this thread going forward.

For the best advice, where possible please try to include:

Player position.

Player existing skills, stat increases and injuries.

Team Race.

Team Development (TV, other player skills, direction of development or style of play).

League setting (Perpetual, tournament, Agility heavy league, bash heavy league).

Links to previous threads in the topic:
    http://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/skill-allocation-advice.759/
    http://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/skill-allocation-advice-ii.3098/
    http://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/skill-allocation-advice-iii.4304/
    http://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/skill-allocation-advice-iv.5038/
    http://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/skill-allocation-advice-v.6568/
    http://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/skill-allocation-advice-vi.10479/

Supa likes this.
  2. Ahzek

Ahzek New Member

Country Flag:
    Normal skill for chaos beastman with block mightyblow calw and piling on?
    I really feel like the choice is between tackle and frenzy, I already have 3 tackle on my team so I would go with frenzy BUT I went on the frenzy route with one of my chorfs killer and I found him very tricky to use.
    Beastman s4 blitz can help a lot to dodge frenzy traps and the extra block plus the chance of random surfs is big but is it really good?
    Help appreciated

3. BallztotheWalla

BallztotheWalla Active Member

Country Flag:
    Tackle then juggs

frenzy to surf with a guy that’s gonna cas his target anyway is not worth it.

tackle would make him the best player in the game and tackle juggs makes him able to deal with everything in every situation

TravelScrabble likes this.
  4. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    I have to say I agree with the above sentiment. Frenzy would give some benefit, but it has limited synergy with the lack of movement and agility you are less likely wanting to surf than simply hit more, in which case tackle does this with less risk and complexity.

5. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Ok, guys, here's my problem:

Rookie woodie thrower rolled a double on his first skill on a rookie woodies team.
    Team is composed by 1 tree, said thrower, 1 WD and 7 linemen, no apo yet and no bank.
    Normally he would get leader as I have just 1 reroll, but I could get guard ...

6. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Given how fresh the team are and the fact you don't yet have catchers, I'm assuming you're more likely to be using running plays right now. In that case something like Strong Arm isn't as useful as it might be in a more developed passing team.

If you're using the thrower as a primary carrier then Guard is only likely to be of use when things have gone wrong on offence, but you are short on players for defence, so will be using the thrower for a little while at least, so I can see why you might take it.

Overall though I think that with the team being largely undeveloped Leader would be extremely helpful for a 1RR roster where you're going to need your cash for a second Wardancer. I'd ignore the double in this case as a result.

7. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Hmm yeah lots of good options, I do love a strong arm thrower though

8. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Am playing in a six round Swiss tournament with Undead and have a level-up quandary. The tournament is for new teams only and top four qualify for another event (24 teams participating), but the teams can be re-used in other tournaments of the same league, so even though there is more of a focus on initial results, the long term team development is also of interest.

After three rounds I am tied in first place with three other teams all on 2 wins and a draw. I face another Undead team next who have a Wight with Tackle, a Ghoul with Block and a Zombie with Wrestle as their only level ups. My team has a Mummy with Guard, a Ghoul with Block and a Ghoul with Wrestle, but both of my Wights are also pending skill-ups. One rolled a normal and one rolled a double.

So normally if I wasn't basing this on the next opponent, but rather on long term development I would go MB on one and Dodge on the other. Given, however, that short term results are important here, I am thinking of skipping the double, especially as the opponent has a Tackle piece. Due to the fact that my opponent has three ghouls it makes sense to take Tackle on one of the Wights and am probably leaning towards MB for the other, although having another Guard is tempting too. Thoughts?

9. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    If he isn't going to get a 2nd skill then it makes sense to skip the double.
    The reason you take dodge in long term leagues is because by the time they reach 51 SPP that dodge is better than any of non double options.
    It is not like taking a skill you couldn't otherwise get on the team such as elves taking guard.

Gallows Bait likes this.
  10. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    I'm a fan of taking tackle as an early skill and have done the same with my humans in OCC in a division that was heavy on dodge, I don't necessarily think it's a short term choice. Strip Ball might also be a consideration.

I'd take one Mighty Blow and one Tackle in this case knowing there are 3 Ghouls to chase.

11. BallztotheWalla

Country Flag:
    i would only ever consider using a double on a wight until after getting pomb and then it would be for jump up.

all wights get mb-po-tackle-guard-juggs unless they get +st or jump up.

there are no skills set that competes with that imo (except claw instead of guard of course)
    so go mb on both

12. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Thanks guys, think I will go MB on one and Tackle on the other. Next level would then be PO on the first and MB on the second.

13. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    While I’m here I have another one. Brettonian team in CCL with a Str 4 Blodge blitzer that just levelled up. Team is around 1580 tv. Two blodge blitzers and one blodge-step. One Wrodge, Ag 4 & Tackle blocker, 2 Guard blockers and one MB blocker. One Guard Peasant.

Am tempted by Frenzy, which is nice on a mobile Str 4 piece, but SS keeps him in a more flexible role. Tackle is another option. I want Sure Hands and Leader on the other blitzers at some point too in order to drop a rr and lower the tv a bit. Thoughts?

14. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Went with SS in the end. Felt better to have a more flexible Str 4 piece than pigeon-holing it into a specific role.

15. burning_phoneix

burning_phoneix Active Member

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    Gonna tag the Gobbo meisters here @Street and @comfort_eagle . Rolled doubles on one of my Gobbo trolls, what should I get? Block?

16. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Yes. The other option is Pro.

17. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    I prefer Pro before block myself as you need to be using the trolls almost everyturn so helping them not go stupid as much is big.

But either option is good so take what you think would work best for you.

18. BallztotheWalla

Country Flag:
    Pro is huge for a troll and would also be my frist choice.

its huge in regards to really stupid and general use of the troll.

block lowers your chance of a turnover on blocking more at the expense of going really stupid often and not blocking at all so easy choice for me but there isn’t a 100% right and wrong choice.

19. comfort_eagle

comfort_eagle Active Member

Steam Username:
    comfort_eagle
    Country Flag:
    What do you like to use the troll for, @burning_phoneix ?

Pro makes a good general purpose big guy, but I personally hate the skill with a vengeance.

Block potentially works for you every turn, even on your opponents'... my money is on block.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  20. burning_phoneix

burning_phoneix Active Member

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    Well this is a replacement Gobbo team so I'm likely only getting 1 season out of them so I'm gonna go with Block to hit people. :p