1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VII

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Gallows Bait, Jun 12, 2020.

1. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I agree with Danton.
    Dodge 1st skill is better on lineelves for the 1st couple of seasons then wrestle becomes better as there is more tackle around.
    Block on the runner while you only have 11 players. If you want a passing runner then buy another one just to play offence when you will be at 13 players.

2. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    Going to 13 players with DE means you are usually giving up some serious inducements. They are an incredibly expensive team. So I would avoid that unless you are comfortable playing vs potentially a wiz and bribes every match. You're elves, scoring should not really be an issue if you have players. Key imo to DE is the defence. For this you want players on the pitch, early blodge is a huge DE advantage, make use of it.

3. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    At higher tv having a bench becomes more important, because you can face teams with multiple POMB Tackle players. Balancing TV is of course important, but I would normally look to have a roster of at least 12 or 13 players.

4. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    12 yeah, 13 seems too much. Your DE team with 12 players will normally be more expensive than the opponent with 13 plus, including multiple POMB tackle. Adding bribes to that can really screw DE from my experience. In reality though if you are facing multiple POMB tacklers the point becomes moot as you will be losing players unless you have great AV dice ;).

5. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    Guess my point is a 'passer' on the bench is bloat and not needed for the majority of the games you will face.

Put it this way, a runner with eg pass/accurate is 120 TV. I would rather chuck in 30 bank if possible and get a wizard.

6. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Wizard is very hit and miss though. Can win a game on its own, or do nothing. I would rather have a runner who can pass the ball, as that gives the team some flexibility that it otherwise lacks on offence.

7. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    You're a good coach, so not going to argue with you. But to me, scoring with DE is usually not an issue. Keeping the team healthy vs high TV teams is though.

8. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    This is an extreme example admittedly, but this is the type of crap I faced in Tier 3! of Rebbl last season. That passer is just going to get chewed up and spit out.
    https://rebbl.net/rebbl/match/10007cfc4d

9. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    It's my Big Crunch team.
    Next matches will be:
    Raspel's skinks ... fast and dodgy
    Khemri with 1 dodge thro-ra
    Nurgle (no dodge).

Lots of dodge in the next match, but close to none in the following 2, who are instead against really strong teams (luckily with just 1 MB).
    On the premise that developement is more important than success in the low divisions I am not so sure about tackle anymore. It would be amazing against skinks, but dodge would guarantee a much better survival rate in the other matches ... and more mobility too, which can be a big advantage against slow teams, and maybe also against slinks.
    I think I will have to go with dodge then, both on the blitzer and the lineman.

Having no wrestle on the team and facing a few blockers in the next few matches I'll go against the grain with the witch and take wrestle first, unless there are strong arguments against it.
    Block witch will follow.

As for the runner I have this thing nagging at my brain that blodge does not combo well with dump off: if you have a blodge runner without pass it's more probable to stay on your feet than to complete the dumpoff pass even when suffering 2d blocks with reroll ...
    Later on, if you get him also pass, and even more so with also accurate the dump off is once again a good option.
    My goal is a runner with blodge, pass and accurate.
    Blodge first enhance his survival rate, while pass and accurate enhance his utility.
    Keeping in mind team developement survival seems more important, therefore I should go with dodge as you all point out.
    Then I am so attracted to pass that maybe I'll act irrationally and will follow a middle grounds with pass, then block, and finally accurate if and when I'll get to 51 spps.

Thank you all, I really appreciate and value all your opinions.
    Even those times when I decide to go a different route, just reading your arguments and experiences gives me a broader perspective and helps me a lot, then we are all different and one has to find his own way.
    Cheers all.

Ravers likes this.
  10. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, well ... those are 2000 tv teams ... my tv is around 1200 ...

11. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I don't think there's a wrong or right answer here @Ravers. Personal preference and play-style can lead to different development paths, which is one of the reasons why I like this game so much. I know a lot of people don't like even having a Runner, or passing the ball with Dark Elves, which is fine.

I personally like to have an extra MA 7 player to carry the ball, so my blitzers and witches are free to do other things. Being able to pass means adding an extra component to your normal running game. A good opponent can make it hard for you to score by just running the ball, so adding a passing option adds more consistent unpredictability, which I like to have.

Silfuin likes this.
  12. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    This.
    In my case more a gut feeling than a properly reasoned strategy, but you also need to "feel" your team, isn't it?

13. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    Yeah lol, did say it was extreme. (I am really looking forward to BB3 cos 2K plus teams are kind of dumb imo, much prefer 1K to 1.6K ish).

As @danton says , and you have just alluded to, personal preference/gut feeling should trump (not that one!) all, my personal feeling is a runner is a waste of TV when you can have 4 blitzers and 2 witches. I do not value dump off at all, and am confident in my ability to score without having a passer. Each to their own though, and I fully accept that other points of view may be more valid :).

14. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Block on the witch will be much better than Wrestle against the skinks. That's 4 or 6 dice where you can hurt them with two results on the dice.

Dump-off is a bonus skill for the Runner, but it's not really worth building around it. If you are forced to use it, it normally means you are in a bad spot and it means the Runner is more likely to leave the pitch.

15. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Thanks again Danton, good points.
    It'll also mean faster spps ...
    A couple of skinks have block though, as do the blitz-ras and all nurgle warriors.
    Does that change anything?

16. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    If a couple of the skinks have Block then it does make Wrestle on the witch more of an option.

17. achilt0

achilt0 New Member

Steam Username:
    achilt0
    Country Flag:
    Hi all,

I'm playing a high elf team, only 2 games into a tournament. My spp hogging Blitzer got doubles after the first game and I took Guard. Now after the second game he's rolled doubles again. What would you do? I decided to ignore the doubles and took dodge because his Guard was pretty useless since he spent a good amount of the game eating grass. I am a fairly inexperienced coach and was wondering what others would do.

18. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    On a guard blitzer ignoring is a good choice, you want him to get blodge side step asap. If he already had blodge then taking stand firm wouldn't be terrible but its questionable if its worth the extra TV compared to ss. On a catcher who get a doubles mighty blow is a good choice, in which case a second doubles is for piling on and gives you a pretty damn good killer.

19. JJape

JJape Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    JJape
    Country Flag:
    Doubule for rookie Underworld Gobbo in New Ogham. There is lots of good options - but I already have all major ones, so wondering what to take next.

The best gobbos in team are
    +AG; Wrestle, Strip Ball; Niggled
    Guard; Two-Heads;
    DP; Sneaky-Git; soon this one will level again
    [Double] - what to take?

It`s a strange team, where my gobbos have rolled more doubles and stat-ups than normal skills (I used to also have +STR-horns-gobbo.... but Troll ate that one). I have only one other guard (Troll) and my ball recovery is handled by +AG-thrower.

Really interested to hear what people would take take with this lucky team. It is good to get replacements for both guard & wrestle players, as they are likely to take hits. But I am also tempted to take DP, so I could kick the other DP when he levels to 4.

20. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I'd go for wrestle but nothing wrong with having 2 DP'ers