1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VII

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Gallows Bait, Jun 12, 2020.

1. BallztotheWalla

BallztotheWalla Active Member

Country Flag:
    Have a st4 ma8 ss blodge blitzer so dauntless is not a priority and have 2 mb tackle + wrestle tackle with another wrestle tackle on its way so don’t feel the need for more.

@patbou73 frenzy would be useful and not interfere to much with his main role.

2. Supa

Supa Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    I would heavily consider frenzy especially if it's your first. Everything else currently seems situational or mediocre, but frenzy gives you options and limits your opponent's.

3. burning_phoneix

burning_phoneix Active Member

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    Got a normal level up on the ST4 catcher, should I go for Leap or Tackle? Tagging @tys123 for this one because I really think its crucial here for long term team development.

[​IMG]

Side note as well. I have extra cash, should I go for another lineman to get the bench stocked?

4. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    What division are you in?
    If you are going to reach altdwarf next season then take leap.
    It is the best choice for winning the next few matches but leaping into cages on a 3+ isn't the best thing for long term health.
    If it is going to be another few seasons before you reach the top take tackle 1st.

And I would buy a lineman. No point having cash over 150K and no point burning it by hiring and firing cheerleaders when you can use it.

Also pass the ball 4 times with the guard lineman asap so he can get block.

5. Mr Suplex

Mr Suplex Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks. Yeah I've decided on Guard for the Blitzer. I'm debating between MB and Frenzy on the Wrestle Catcher. Why would you take MB over Frenzy?

6. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    @burning_phoneix I would take Tackle on your ST4 Catcher. Your AG5 Catcher is destined to take Leap, so I would skip that on this one.

7. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Because I would be planning on giving him leap at some point and leaping into a cage for a 1D block is OK. Pushing into a 2D against is bad.
    But I am a pro elf coach rather than high elf and with pro's you need to make more aggressive moves on defence as your armour isn't good enough to do anything else.
    If you prefer more of a control game then frenzy is good for sideline control.
    Also MB is a double and assuming the next rolls are normal MB makes a better long term build.

Mr Suplex likes this.
  8. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    What would you take with a double roll on a wrestle thrall.
    Is anything better than fend?
    Vamps are good, thralls are all rookies or wrestle

9. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Thick Skull? I don’t know much Vampires, but isn’t it the kind of skill that will keep the Thrall on the pitch more? Even when a Vampire feeds on a prone Thrall?

10. Supa

Supa Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    I would take leader if you do not have any in the team. Orherwise guard or skip... I am not sure how good guard is for vampires.

Kick is a prime normal skill in my view. Both long and shirt kicks can cause plenty of trouble against vampires.

11. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    Leader if you don't have one already, Thick Skull otherwise.
    I've tried both Dodge and Thick Skull for survival skills and surprisingly Thick Skull is significantly better at keeping the snack on the field.
    Choice of Thrall to snack on generally goes:
    1. The one next to where I want to end up
    2. The stunned one
    3. The Thick Skull one
    4. The rookies
    5. anyone without a stat up

patbou73 likes this.
  12. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Posted this on Discord today, but am interested in more opinions if there are any.

[​IMG]

Utility catcher rolled a normal skill on my OCC human team. This guy normally plays both sides of the ball. Am considering two main options:

1. Dauntless - can use his mobility for some key blitzes if needed.

2. Sure Hands - useful for playing a running game with him and also for retrieving a loose ball when defending.

Other options could be Diving Tackle or Fend, but not really convinced by either. The team for context:

[​IMG]

13. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I'd go for Sure Hands.
    The AG4 blitzer is pretty mobile for getting the blitzes in while the catcher is fast enough to get the loose ball and back to safety.
    A dauntless catcher really wants wrestle to be able to do something the blitzers can't.

danton likes this.
  14. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Yeah am leaning that way I think. Depending on what my division looks like next season I may buy a third catcher in order to build a defensive one.

15. Mr Suplex

Mr Suplex Member

Country Flag:
    Sure Hands all the way. It will synergize well with his AG4 and other skills.

danton likes this.
  16. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Normal skill on a rookie treeman in an halfling team.
    It actually is the first skill in the team.
    On my woodies team I'd go with guard or grab, but with halflings I wonder if break tackle could be overall more useful.
    Far too easy to have the trees tied up and you need to move them somewhere else, and with ST6 they can dodge into 2 tackle zones easily.
    Add that halfling trees are not loners and it suddenly becomes a very interesting option.
    You can dodge to get to that halfling who need to be launched, move in a more useful position or even consider diving into a cage.

Any halfling expert to share some insight?
    @tys123 , @Larkstar ?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  17. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Break Tackle every time.
    Double is a harder choice between block and jump up

18. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Wha... ? Do you mean for once I got it right?
    I must be getting better ... or maybe stunty is where I could finally shine ... :p

19. Larkstar

Larkstar Active Member

Country Flag:
    @Silfuin And I go Guard every time on the very first Treeman normal skill. It really comes down to a play style choice. Guard is more conservative and reliable. Break Tackle allows for more flexibility, while also adding more dice rolls and increased risk. Guard virtually guarantees your 3 Tree front line wins the LOS war on Defense at these lower TVs. It's also still useful if your Tree Takes Root. Guard helps defend against Leapers/Dodging into a cage to sack your carrier. While Break Tackle expands your options, you're now faced with succeeding two 2+ Rolls. Would you still risk it if you've got no Rerolls? What if the play required a GFI on the back end and you needed a RR earlier in the turn? Not to mention that when the Tree does eventually Take Root, the skill becomes useless. I think Break Tackle can be a great tool, I just value Guard and Grab more. That said, if I were fortunate enough to get +MV first level on a Tree, Break Tackle would be my choice for the second skill.

Supa likes this.
  20. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    The way I see it is that guard and grab give you small advantages that you can use a lot.
    BT gives you a completely different play that can be the difference between winning and losing.