1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VII

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Gallows Bait, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Supa

Supa Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    I am also going to say Guard first, BT second for the reasons Larkstar listed. Winning the LoS is so important, much more so for flings that are so dependant on the treemen.

2. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    IMHO, Break Tackle is the best choice. It’s otherwise very easy to tie up a tree with a single ST2 player. And the hard truth is that you want to blitz with the Tree and nothing else. This gives better mobility to the whole team on offense, and the option to do a 2 dice blitz in a cage on a 3+ dodge. Take Root is bad combo with Break Tackle, but I would reroll the negatrait if it happened in the first 2-3 turns of the drive anyway. And if Master Chef did a nice job, you should have plenty of those.

Guard and Grab is just more of the usual stuff. BT gives you unique opportunities.

3. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

Sprint or Block on the MA 10 catcher? I’m almost certainly going to take Sprint, but am open to suggestions if someone feels strongly that it isn’t the best choice!

4. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    I am very jealous. But I have to concur I think a natural one turner is a great threat that can win you games but also importantly affects how your opponent has to play because of that.

5. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I agree. Not needing a push makes defending against a 1 turn attempt much harder.

6. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Thanks guys - took Sprint.

7. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    cheater ... :D

8. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I am playing Humans in a very large, bash-heavy league! I need all the help I can get!! :p

Gallows Bait likes this.
  9. Sephorin

Sephorin Active Member

Steam Username:
    Sephorin
    Cyanide Username:
    Sephorin
    Country Flag:
    Hello! I have two level ups to decide on for my ogre team. Both are regular rolls. No doubles or stat increases.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Professer 3 Skul has +1 movement allowance. Should I take break tackle on him, and make him my main ball carrier? (I usually carry with ogres.)

Or should I take break tackle on Boo Buthwright and make him my main carrier? It would be harder to knock him down since he has block. Also, it might be nice to have a block ogre with break tackle. He would have more mobility and could dodge into cages when we're on defense. On the other hand, when I'm on offense, I love having two block ogres on the line of scrimmage... so maybe I don't want to carry the ball with him?

Would it be smarter to just take guard on both players? Or some other combination? Please tell me what you think.

10. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I'd take break tackle on the MA6. The extra move isn't much use if you can't get out of contact.
    You really want 1 guard for the middle of the LoS so you can get 3 dice easily so it make sense having that on a block guy.

Once you have got the 6th ogre and built up a bench I would get rid of the skilled snots. They aren't worth the TV apart from an AG4 one to make 1 turner more reliable.

Sephorin likes this.
  11. Sephorin

Sephorin Active Member

Steam Username:
    Sephorin
    Cyanide Username:
    Sephorin
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the input! I do find the kick skill to be quite useful, especially against slower teams. What do you think about the kick skill? Does it take up too much team value (30,000) to keep it on the Snotling?

With the ogres: right now I'm leaning toward juggernaut for Professer 3 Skul. This will give me a third reliable block per turn (if I blitz with him), and it works well with his extra MA. What do you think?

I'm pretty sure we're going with guard for Boo Buthwright. Appreciate the advice.

12. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    TBH, I would have taken Block instead of Sprint. One turning is always risky. You may injure or kill your player doing the 3 GFIs, and be in a messy situation with the ball far away, on the other side of the screen. With MA10 and Sure Feet, you only have make one, maybe 2, Push/Pow to move your player one square. Your player would have had a better longevity and use on the pitch (you can't always bench him), and you could then have taken Side Step when he becomes a Legend... thus making the one-turner even more easier.

Doesn't this make sense?

13. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    My Big Crunch team is sitting on 150k gold, and Witch rolled a normal. What to do? This is my team :
    4 Blitzers (3 x Dodge ; 1 x Dodge+Tackle)
    1 Witch (who leveled up on a normal)
    5 Linemen (1 x Wrestle+Dodge ; 1 x Guard ; 1 x Dodge ; 2 rookies)
    3 rerolls, Apo, 7 FF
    1340 TV (including the pending level up)

I'll be facing an Orc team for the last game of the season : https://spike.ovh/team?team_id=3975048&platform=1
    (note that Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal both have a level up pending at the time I write this).

Should I take Wrestle or Block on the Witch? I know many people take Wrestle, but isn't it a clear invitation to foul my girl the moment she uses it?

Should I buy the 11th player now? I have enough for the 2nd Witch. However, if anything goes wrong (opponent does have a Troll, POMB Blitzer, and 2 pending skills), I'll probably won't have enough to replace a positional before next season (this is the last game).

I'm used to play in CCL, but developping a team for a second season is an entirely new concept for me. So far, my team is undefeated at 6-2-0. I'll end up 1st if I win next game, most probably 2nd if I lose (unless the current 3rd team wins at 5-0 ; my TDD is 8, while his is 4). Thus, I expect to move up to Tier 3 next season.

Thus... Should I play to win? Or to protect my assets? How do you, veterans, approach such a match?

14. toastguy7

toastguy7 Active Member

Steam Username:
    The Count of Montecristoast
    Country Flag:
    I too am a lover of the kick skill, but I would have trouble looking past DP for any future snotling double. DP is such a great skill and at such a low price, snotlings are the ideal foulers.

15. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    I forgot to mention that my TV will be at 1450 if I buy a Witch, or 1410 if I just get a Journeyman. My opponent is currently at 1610 TV, including the 2 pending skills. But he has 260k gold in treasury. Two of his Blitzers are AV busted, and he has a Black Orc with a Niggling Injury. He may spend gold to replace some of these before next game. So... it's really a mess figuring out the impact on inducements if I buy the Witch.

I think the sane thing to do would be to keep my gold and get more inducements. Hopefully enough to get an Apo, and focus on surviving, more than winning. Or is there another way to tackle this situation?

16. Sephorin

Sephorin Active Member

Steam Username:
    Sephorin
    Cyanide Username:
    Sephorin
    Country Flag:
    Thanks! I was just reading about the statistics behind dirty player. It's a skill I've never taken because I'm not fond of fouling. I do make exceptions for key players or (especially) scary players. For example, raspel's troll with claw in our upcoming match. That claw makes the ogres very nervous! So I would really like to get him off the pitch. I will foul him whenever I get the chance. Kind of wish I had dirty player now...

@patbou73, I'm not ignoring you, but I have no idea what you should do. :)

patbou73 likes this.
  17. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I like to have a block witch and a wrestle witch.
    I take the block 1st on a normal as at low TV there are a lot of players without block.
    At high TV you needs someone with wrackle to take down blodgers so wrestle on the 2nd witch.

I would keep the journeyman for the orc match and then buy a player between seasons.
    Apoth makes sense to keep the team health if you are promoting no matter what.
    But you still want to play to win as the orcs are less likely to blitz your key players if they are scrambling to stop a TD or recover a ball.

patbou73 likes this.
  18. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    The point is it isn’t always possible to get a push in, either because you don’t get the right dice, or because the opponent’s set up makes it too hard, or because of a perfect defense, etc.

Sprint means he can just reach on his own and makes the percentage chance much higher. He doesn’t tend to get hit very often either, which also makes Block less valuable.

19. toastguy7

toastguy7 Active Member

Steam Username:
    The Count of Montecristoast
    Country Flag:
    Out of curiosity, is the preference for not fouling due to positional concerns or more feeling like it is dishonorable?

20. Sephorin

Sephorin Active Member

Steam Username:
    Sephorin
    Cyanide Username:
    Sephorin
    Country Flag:
    I think fouling is one of those things that can be difficult for my opponent, especially if I'm already winning by a lot or I've already injured a bunch of his players. It's more important for me to have fun than to win. And if my opponent is not having fun, it's usually less fun for me also. :)

When I'm playing my goblin team, I do foul with the chainsaw as often as I can. I think that's just part of playing goblins.

I would never do something like a turn 16 foul when I'm on defense.

That's just me, though! I have no problem with people fouling my players. I wouldn't call it dishonorable. This is a game that is, in large part, about beating the snot out of each other. If it's okay for a giant ogre to punch a little goblin, I think it's okay to foul. :)

And I'm glad you got me to look at dirty player. I think that can be an important tool for my ogre team.