Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VII

Werebat

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Werebat
Country Flag
Ball sacking skink has Wrestle and Catch (I know, not ideal, he took Catch first).
I rolled a double on his latest level up.
Do I go Tackle, Strip Ball, or something I haven't even thought of yet?
This is a high maneuverability, low Guard team. Two of the other skinks have Block. Three of the Saurii are Dodge/BT.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
What about Dauntless.
1D with wrestle is better than 2D against with wrackle

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Ok guys, wood elf lino got his first skill.
The team is still undeveloped.
I got a strip ball wardancer, a wardancer with no skills and a leader thrower.
Then there is a treeman, and the rest are linos (no bench yet), none of which have yet any skill.

The league I'm playing in is pretty bashy.
I still have to play against 1 Delf team, 1 Chorf, 1 dwarf, 1 Orc, 1 Necro and 1 undead.

I could go for dodge/wrestle (but which first?) or give him kick to improve my chances to force the opponent out of position at kickoffs.

Dodge will really boost my mobility, especially if I buy a catcher so that I have 4 players with dodge.
Wrestle can be really good to bring down block players (and there are many around), but I have strip ball, therefore I don't necessarily need it.
However it's better to have a plan B when the strip dancer will leave the field, so there's that.
As for kick I have mixed feelings.
It is great when you want to force those slow orcs or dwarves back, but the ball will also be unreachable to you in case of blitz kickoff event then.

What's your view?

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Yeah, I was already leaning towards it, for the simple fact that just having one in the team makes a difference, whereas wrestle and dodge need more of them, thus if I am getting kick ther's no point in delaying.

There are arguments however to not take kick at all, and I've heard good coaches advocate against it.
So just to elaborate a bit more about kick, what do I get from it really?
It allows you to try and aim for a quadrant of the opponent's half, but ball may end up in the center anyway, so it's not reliable though I have not calculated the odds.
It avoid short kicks against slow bashy teams, but is it an advantage really?
I mean, with the ball in range of my elves the bashy team will need to divert resources to protect it well even before picking it up, lifting pressure from my guys, and woodies are perhaps the best team to profit if he fails the pickup.

I am really uncertain, what's your experience with kick (or the lack of it)?

Supa

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Supa
Cyanide Username
Supajee
Country Flag
It gives you the possibility to setup asymmetrically on defense, so that messes up your opponent's setup quite a bit. As a bonus it's even better if it's perfect defense or blitz. Bashier opponents would love to have some foothold on the front, so the carrier can run there and cage up, thus starting the grind. Kicking far near a corner tends to make this more complicated, as your opponent needs to decide if he sticks to his plan (giving you a really good opportunity to screen of the ballcarrier and the rest of his team), or pull some players back to cover his carrier, which does give you better position, meaning the opponent has a longer way to run to the touchdown line.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
I would take Kick.
Kick doesn't mean avoiding kicking short against bash teams.
I frequently kick short to the side I don't have the LoS on if the opponent has poorly protected that side.
It means you recover a blitz 80% of the time rather than around 30% with a random kick.
I only kick deep if there are only a few turns left or the opponent has overloaded the line so I can separate the ballcarrier from most of the team with a deep kick.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
There are 2 things to think about when deciding on dodge or wrestle.

How many of your opponents have tackle and block. You have dwarfs and CD's coming up so that is quite a few making wrestle better and dodge worse.

How many players can block safely and how many can dodge safely to lend assists. You currently have 2 of each but they are both on the same player. So if everyone is marked you have 1 "safe" action per turn and then you're relying on not rolling a 1 or double BD.
If you had 2 catchers I would be taking wrestle as you would then have 1 player to safely block , 2 to lend assists and 2 that can do either.
But without the catchers I think dodge is better than wrestle.

So in your case there are arguments for both and not much between them.

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
I like this way to put it down to rational thought, it helps to bring it down to numbers, which are easier to assess.
I think I'll get kick now, buy a catcher to get that much needed dodge, then get wrestle on the next lino, which will be probably soon as I have another lino with 5 spp.
Anyway the levelled lino is MNG, so possibly I will have both kick and wrestle at the same time in the next MD.

Last edited:

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
New skills to allocate on my woodie team.

Although team is the same as before I'll summarize it here.
Leader Thrower, rookie catcher and rookie treeman.
Six lineman all with spps, but just one skill which is kick.
The dancers both levelled.
First dancer already has strip ball, and got a normal skill.
Second dancer is a rookie and also got a normal skill.

For the second dancer I am leaning heaviliy toward frenzy, becuse I like diversity and my opponents in this league get pushed against the sidelines more often than not.
Last but not least I want to be able to respond to the other frenzy pieces around.
First dancer could get tackle, but in the teams I still have to face there are only 2 with dodge pieces (undead and necro ghouls), therefore tackle is ... I don't know ,,,
I am thinking sidestep instead, to have better survivabiity and to complement the play against the sidelines.
Tackle though ... man, getting those ghouls down would feel good ... but is it sensible to get a skill just for 2 matches (still 5 to go ...)?
Sooner or later a wrestle lino could get tackle to counter the sure hands orc thrower which is immune to strip ball ... but that is uncertain ...
Your thoughts ...

Last edited:

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
I would take Tackle. It’s nearly always good to have a blitzer with Tackle and your opponents could add more pieces with Dodge due to doubles.

burning_phoneix

Super Star Player
Steam Username
burning.phoneix
Country Flag
OK Guys, this is my team atm
20200720191450_1.jpg

Gonna get a fresh blitzer soon but for now

Lv.1 Catcher rolled 10, which means he can get MV+ I already have an MA9 catcher tho
Lv.2 catcher rolled DOUBLE SIX, which means he can get any skill or ST+
Lv.1 Thrower rolled just a normal level up

Suggestions?

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
@Regor I already have a MA7 ST5 blodge vamp.
My other ST5 blodge Vamp just rolled a 6+4 so is it worth having 2 or do I go for a skill instead.