1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skill allocation advice

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Narly Bird, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    My AG blitzer deserves to get in. He's missing from the next game. He hasn't accumulated as much SPP as some, but I doubt any team has revolved around one player as much as mine has around him. Risky pickups, stupid throws and incredible offensive plays... My MB, block witch hasn't been bad either, and if nothing else, I don't think any AV7 player in CC can have had so many concerted efforts to get them off the pitch and still be fine and fighting fit.

By the way Mico, I'd go with Block too. It will help against the Dwarves as much as Pro in my opinion, and keeping the Trolls on their feet will be very important in my opinion. Just watch out for them Troll Slayers, they are called that for a reason.

2. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    Oh yes. Igor the Looney has chainsawed her, what, three times? And still only got a KO. She's one stubborn witch.

Well, I am a little afraid of them. Not to mention the Deathroller, as it's also not called that without reason. :-D

3. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I think I'm actually going to play devil's advocate and say Pro for the Troll. Just because the Goblins can't afford to use their Trolls as passive road blocks like other teams do - they've much more to do in terms of heavy lifting.

Obviously Block has a vital active component but to my mind Pro is going to be more useful - it'll save you countless team re-rolls that Loner might otherwise swallow up. Yes, you will be annoyed every time you fail the 1/9 on a 2d block, but it seems to me that a Really Stupid player is going to provide more frustration failing to activate on a 1/6 (or 1/2) than he would messing up his blocks (which you might still attempt to re-roll with Pro anyway).

I do have a question of my own to offer to the floor. My last game saw a lucky completion + MVP combo give a skill-up to a fresh Line-Elf - or at least, will have done, when the game is validated by an admin (this is a hint gents ;)). And I've been wondering for a while now about when I should give some poor sap Kick.

My roster currently looks like this:

Blitzer - Block, +AG, +Dodge
    Blitzer - Block, +Dodge, +Sidestep
    Thrower - Pass, Safe Throw, +Accurate, +Strong Arm
    2x Line-Elf - +Dodge, +Wrestle
    Line-Elf - +Guard
    Line-Elf - +Wrestle
    Line-Elf - +Dodge, -1MA
    1x unskilled Catcher
    2x unskilled Line-Elf

and finally the Line-Elf who just skilled.

Is this the time to take Kick? And if not, when? Coach's article recommends it on the first Lino to skill; obviously I've not taken that route.

The plan was originally to get a defensive skill on all the Linos first, leaving no weak links in mobility/protection, but it's taking longer than I'd hoped, and in the last couple of games it's really begun to hit home how much of a blessing a deep kick can be in terms of taking some heat off your defensive line for the first couple of turns.

4. Barninho

Country Flag:
    I would say categorically to take Kick, for the reasons you stated. There are more bash teams in your future, and Kick is one of the best weapons against them...

i have a kicker myself, and on the few occasions I have remembered not to put him in the widezones, he has been more than worth it. Plus you have a faster team, so it should be even better for you. At the moment I tend to take him off on offence as well to cut down on chances to target him.

5. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    @John McGuirk
    I completely agree with what Barninho said. You should have taken Kick already and unless You roll a double or stat, I would definitely pick that skill on Your Lineelf.

As for the Troll, You have a vaild point there with Pro and I was thinking about it a lot (probably even overthinking), but have decided to take Block, due to annoyance I experience when my big guys get knocked down on :bothdown: during opponents' turns. Too much playing as Ogres, probably :)

6. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    At the end of the season, why dont we all nominate 1 or 2 star players from our team that have nice skills/stat buffs, etc. Could be kind of fun looking at the best player in everyones team.

Whilst my S4 blodge catcher is pretty awesome, i still couldn't get past how much a threat Snotty's Blodge, S3, Horns Gutter Runner is. I think he would get my vote for No.1 star player.

7. John McGuirk

Country Flag:
    I knew I was forgetting someone. He is a fantastic player, no doubt, and I'm glad I haven't played him :)

The S4 Catcher is something fierce. How is the S4 Line-Elf coming along?

The advice on Kick is much appreciated. I'm definitely leaning towards it now but will spend some time first working out how it will effect my formation in setting up.

Regarding Kick, how do you guys like to use it? I always counted 3 squares away from a corner of the field and let fly. But roll a 6 on the distance and this still gives a reasonable chance (usually 3/8) for a touch-back. I've started counting 4 squares back instead. I think it's a better idea, but have only just started experimenting with it in practice.

8. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    The aformentioned S3 Horns GR gave him a niggling injury that will mean he is MNG. I even apoth'd it, but the apoth thought death was better, so i left it at niggling. Quite annoying as i could have used his strength against Norse.

Often i go 4 squares from a corner, but sometimes will go 3 squares from a sideline if he has his receivers in the center. Its a calculated risk and really depends on how much you will gain from it as to where you place it. 4 from a corner is normally the way to go though (LOS corner for AG teams and end zone for bash teams).

9. Barninho

Country Flag:
    Against slow teams I tend to play safe. four x four from one of the corners. What you don't want is the ball to bounce out that extra square against a team that loves to cage, It can be a gamebreaker.

If I'm against a team that puts the majority of their AG players deep I might switch to a short kick and vary it a little and hope to swoop in for a surprise pickup with my AG5 blitzer.

10. John McGuirk

Country Flag:
    The dice came up 6 and 4!

Now I really don't know what to do :confused:

11. Barninho

Country Flag:
    I reckon in your shoes with the playoff's looming I'd be going with kick. Your catchers are fast enough for the team, although MV is obviously hard to turn down.

12. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    Ok, its official, i definately have loaded dice. Had 1 skill pending on my Wrodging Catcher prior to my playoff match vs McFood. I was going to go with Tackle, as i dont have any on the team. Lo and behold i roll an 11. So thats an AG5 Wrodging Catcher on my team!

Pretty insane stuff. So many stat increases on this team! I think the last 6 or so skill rolls have seen 66, 64, and two 65's! :D

13. Snotty

Snotty Member

Country Flag:
    Right, to get to the next round, I need to beat coachman this week, and two other guys to lose their matches

And obviously they only way of ensuring this, is to pick the right skill choice on my beastmen.

He already got Mv+ and he didn’t roll a double.

I could pick sure hands, so to stop wasting rerolls on the pick up.

Wrestle to stop the blockers

Block to kept him standing as a ball carrier.

Claws to bring the pain.

Or having him as a mobile Guard support

Apart from him there is only a chaos warrior with tentacles, which seemed really clever when playing wood elves, but not so much against orcs.

What peoples are thoughts?

14. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Given the lack of other skills, I'd be tempted to give him Block or Wrestle and use him as either primary blitzer (block) or defense (wrestle) since he has the improved speed to do so. Really depends what you feel would give you better value.

While Sure hands is great for a ball carrier, it would seem to waste his speed if he is in a cage.

Similarly claw or mighty blow are good, but really need block to prevent the turnover/re-roll use.

Having experienced Chaos in Crunch Cup III its a tough one to build the essential skills in a reasonably short group stage such as this, I find Chaos better suited to the perpetual league development route.

15. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    Beastmen are much better on offense than on defense, due to their horns so I'd make him the blitzer/ball sacker and go with Block or Wrestle. Strip Ball would also be nice, but Orc Throwers have Sure Hands, so it probably won't help much in this match.

16. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Hmm after a death in the last game down to 10 men again.

Interestingly the -mv linemen got the MVP and managed to get a double.

I was just going to get wrestle on a normal roll, now I am not so sure. I guess it comes down to wrestle or guard. If he was not -mv would be guard, now open to suggestions.

got 90k in the bank as well (for once I looked at how much I should have got, and yes it got rerolled to a 1).

17. Slyspy

Slyspy Member

Country Flag:
    Which skill did you really, really want in that last game?

Edit:

My income got rerolled to 20K from 60K I think.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  18. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Yeah the problem is that a mv 5 dark elf's job is to stand on the LOS until they die. A guard player you need as a mobile assist and mv 5 is really bad for that.

I might just get an assassin instead, always good for dealing with annoying str 4 players surrounded by guard players :D. but we can't meet again until the final now anyway.

19. John McGuirk

Country Flag:
    Elves don't get to pick where their Guard goes. If you have to give it to what may prove a long-term write-off, so be it. Make hay while the sun shines! (Or some similar, but more appropriate maxim, as I doubt an Elf has ever 'made hay' in his pampered, indolent life :skull:)

20. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    hehe yeah I guess you are right.

I think I will get an assassin and go back to 11 men. Could be handy vs all the snots in my next game and after that we have a potential str 4 blodger menice that is NS wd, although that requires a few games to be played first, and an assassin would be far less use vs rusty's orcs another potential opponent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.