1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skill allocation advice

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Narly Bird, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kvasilad

kvasilad Member

Country Flag:
    I'm playing a reasonably new wood elf team, and I'm wondering what to take for my wardancer who just made lvl 2, rolled normal.

My other wardancer is already level 2, and got strip ball for her first skill, which has been incredible so far (not a lot of sure hands in the league yet).

The rest of my team is just 7 linemen after a couple of deaths, a couple of them have dodge, one has kick, rest are rookies.

Any thoughts? I'm actually considering a second strip ball, but with the high MA, I may not need more than one on the field at any given time. Side step perhaps? Tackle?

2. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Don't get Strip twice... waste of skill. Later there won't be many non-sure hands.

In the Holy Tomes of BB Coach recommends side step among other things. I think SS allows for some good marking and you can hug the sidelines for offense or defense... and protects the WD.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  3. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    On wood elves you want two stripballers. The pitch is large, wood elves are fragile, and you might want to have one able to run the long way instead of dodging through multiple tacklezones.

But the second strip ball should be on a wrestle player. You need a wardancer with tackle, stat. (To hunt skinks, ghouls, and all those surehanders with blodge that will show up sooner rather than later)

4. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    Sorry Dreamy... thanks... lot of work today ! :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  5. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    The pest.. well, jump up or diving tackle are probably best. The first one either for the extra speed, or for the killer aspect. The second one to get block and stand firm as the next two skills.

6. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    NO BASH Woodies... my Thrower (accurate, -1 Move) just rolled 12.

Strength ? Or strong arm ?

If I give him strength will probably stop using him as backfield thrower ? STR left in the backfield is a bit TV bloat ?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  7. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    With -MV his passing career has already suffered a serious setback. Take the ST, use him to blitz holes, and enjoy him while he lasts.

Oh, and start another Thrower.

8. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    sack the git

9. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Even with MA6, an Accurate + Strong Arm thrower is gold. Ask pro or high elves.

Strength is very tempting but has absolutely zero synergy with Accurate, specially if you plan to hit often with him.

In the other hand a ST4 / Blodge / Accurate also makes a great ball carrier (but its going to take you a long time to get there if at all...). So 50/50 call. I personally would lean a bit more towards Strong Arm.

In any event, keep it! :p

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  10. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    First lvl up for my rookie SSC goblins, and a gob has rolled a double.
    Normally would pick Block straight away, but the last 3 matches are Norse, DaE, Dwarf, so tonnes of Block. Plus two of these teams have a Blodge ball carrier already.

Just thinking Wrestle might be useful for trying to take a blodging ball carrier down, or putting someone down for fouling (especially the norse, with their AV7).
    On the other hand Block will give me a safer ball carrier.

Anyone have any strong leanings for one or other of Block or Wrestle on this occasion?

11. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    What about Sure Hands? Always useful for saving re-rolls on your drive. Give Catch to the pogoer and then he can hand off to him.

Also don't forget Dirty Player!! ;)

12. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    DP is a solid choice if you play the gang fouling game (and you should if you are playing as Gobs).
    Otherwise i would lean towards Wrestle and use this guy as a ball hunter. If the Gob already had sidestep/diving tackle then i would go block, but for a first level i think wrestle is the call (or DP).

13. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    So instead of crystallising my Block / Wrestle choice, I've now got good arguements for Wrestle, SH and DP! :D
    I don't have a pogoer... yet. Trying to keep tv down as I'm up against rookie opponents. SH is certainly a solid choice on AG3.

Not gang fouled more than once so far in my 2 matches. Usually I'm not bunched up enough to make it count, plus my looney has done plenty of de-pitching on his own.
    Once I have more of a tv cushion I won't have to worry about getting players sent off when I've only got 1 bribe.

I think I'm leaning towards Wrestle, but I have another day to mull it over.

14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Matchmaking FOL team, high elves, TV 1440

3 RR, 6 FF, Apo, 190 k

1 loner lineman
    3 rookie linemen
    2 linemen with dodge
    1 lineman with kick and block

1 thrower with accurate

1 catcher with dodge, guard, nerves of steel

1 blitzer with Move 8, dodge and tackle
    1 blitzer with Move 8 and a doubles skill

Question is mostly - Guard or Mighty Blow on the Blitzer? But other comments accepted.

15. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I like Guard for Elves. MB does combine well with tackle, but as he is the non-tackle one, I really prefer Guard for him (he will be picking up dodge next anyway, so tackle is far, far away).

16. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yea, I finally went with that after three days of no response, since my own thoughts finally coincided with the ones you now set up. ;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  17. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Similar one... I have a rookie WD that rolls 1st skill 5+5... No tackle yet but eventually, and I dont give Guard to WD if I can avoid it... so I think it is a clear MB no? MA9 is sooo tempting though.

18. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    That is a tough call. MA 9 is very good but so is MB.
    I'd probably take the move.

19. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    Depends on how you play them... I really like a "killer" WD... Mv9 isn't my choice... but is not bad.

20. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Mighty Blow is probably better for the team, but MV 9 sure is fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.