Skill allocation advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonsun

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
crimsonsun
Country Flag
I rarely find I need movement 8 over 7 personally and you are then waiting till your third skill before getting any protection.

I know I am pulling up a 2 week old post but IMO the difference between Ma7 & 8 is massive - why? 1TTD's become a ton easier that last square on a Ma7 player is a real pain to achieve most of the time, while getting 3 pushes is pretty simple. Anyway just thought I would add it as a altering opinion.

Rama Set

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Rama Set
Country Flag
My MM undead have a ST 4, Blodge, SS ghoul who just got a normal roll.

My other ghouls have the following:

Blodge, Guard, MB, Tackle
Wrackle, +AG
Blodge, +2MA

I am thinking of DT since he does a lot of ball chasing, or Jump Up to give extra blocks and/or mobility. Or maybe tackle? But I am not sure I need 4 players with tackle.

Let me know what y'all think!

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Yeah, Frenzy is a good call! He already has Str 4, which is great with Frenzy and he even has SS to keep him safe on the sidelines when surfing! No brainer! :p

crimsonsun

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
crimsonsun
Country Flag
Frenzy for sure, but I would take tackle first, as with strength four he will be able to get at the ball carrier more effectively than other players in your team, I would then take frenzy next but I feel tackle is more critical for blocking.

Kjelstad

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Kjelstad
Cyanide Username
Kjelstad
Country Flag
I like frenzy, poor mans tackle, especially with SS! Plus you will want those surfers to dodge.

Jump up is useless because the first time he gets hit his is going to die.

Rama Set

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Rama Set
Country Flag
Frenzy for sure, but I would take tackle first, as with strength four he will be able to get at the ball carrier more effectively than other players in your team, I would then take frenzy next but I feel tackle is more critical for blocking.

I already have a Wrackle ghoul with AG 4 so I may go with Frenzy to allow him open holes better. Thanks for the advice all!

Midros

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
My first reaction would be to say yes. However what are your other GR's looking like? Do you have a second wrestler that can step up without him and do you have much cash in the bank? Obviously you don't want him getting more MVP's etc but if he is your only GR with a block/wrestle skill may want to keep him to develop the others a bit.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
I have a block sidestep GR and a MA 10 GR and a rookie. Only 50 k in the bank but that will hopefully be 70k by the time he would be back.

Midros

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Hmm true is a tough call in my opinion. If your next few opponents don't have a lot of block on their ball carriers then perhaps you can sac him as your block ss GR will be able to take our the carrier just as easily.

Otherwise as you don't have a ton of cash if you need a wrestle player perhaps keep him and try and feed the rookie to replace him. Saying that I have only got a wrestle GR on my OCC team after 7 matches so you can do without.

I would perhaps keep him for the next match and see what winnings/skill ups you get. Even at MA 8 he is still quick enough to get most places. Just pray he doesn't get MVP!

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
So basically the options are sack now or wait till I have a replacement wrestler then sack. Sounds reasonable. I guess I will push hard to skill up a GR next game and hope I can sack but no need to do anything hasty now. Hopefully I win 70k and can afford both a new GR and a bench rat.

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
This isn't strictly skill allocation advice, but my Crunch Cup High Elves, the Phobias, entered the competition with an eight player roster because of Dreamy's advice we should wait until we could buy a bench, and very good advice it was too.
At the moment I'm up to nine with my mng Catcher back and have a very welcome 270k in the bank, which gives me a few options in terms of purchasing. Basically I could afford two Catchers and a Thrower, buy extra linemen, whatever.

At the moment the roster looks like this:
4 LINEMEN - One with Blodge, One with Wrodge, Two Unskilled
2 BLITZERS - One with Blodge, One with MB, Tackle, +AG
2 CATCHERS - One with Block, Guard (Bluard?), One with Wrestle.
1 THROWER - With Dodge, Accurate
3 Rerolls.

I should say I intend to rock with 3 RR's for the time being, so that really isn't up for debate, but I'm worried adding 3 positionals would just make it impossible to protect them and am leaning towards one Thrower, one Catcher and one Lineman. This sound like common sense to you lot?

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Sounds pretty sensible to me.

John McGuirk

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
My experience trying to level even one High Elf Catcher is that they tend to get picked on and scrap-heaped at a frankly alarming rate. I think I went through four before I got one to 6spp - they're CAS magnets, pure and simple.

So my advice is to always look to start games with eleven players that have either av8, or a defensive skill, in case you're forced/choose to defend. Yeah, Catchers have the pace to threaten the ball, but until they have at least some protection you don't even want them standing in the back of the columns, because the fucker stood in front will fail his dodge back and open the way for a beautiful if brief romance between the opposing team's killer and your new Catcher's throat.

It's not always possible - it's never always possible with High Elves - but try to limit a rookie Catcher's involvement to the offensive drive. If you're playing a running drive, have him run the ball and try to protect him as best you can. If you're going to throw, wait until you can break a pocket of players down one of the flanks that the Catcher can sit inside within scoring distance. You need to make it so that the opponents' blitz can at best lead to him being marked up, giving you the opportunity to counter-blitz him free so he can score. A couple of successful drives like this and his first skill will see his survival chances improve considerably.

So as far as the Phobias go, I'd make your next two purchases av8, whatever they be. Your plan seems solid to me, though a second Thrower is always one of those purchases that I can never quite sell myself on with Helves.

Last edited:

Kaz

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Kazman29
Country Flag
I agree w/ John. I'd like to get dodge on at least one of your catchers before buying another. Definitely only one unskilled catcher at a time! Of course, I have had a terrible time with high elves so maybe I'm not the one to listen to, but I have managed to keep most of my catchers alive and healthy :p

Rama Set

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Rama Set
Country Flag
Wrestle or block on a zombie with dirty player? I was thinking wrestle could be useful since it puts a player on the ground next to you, but it also opens the fouler up to a be fouled..

Or do I take the +1AG I rolled ;)

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Just to say after taking all your excellent advice on board and also discussing the matter with Mr Danton, I went for Lino, Thrower and Catcher. Thanks John, Kaz, and Nikolai.

Also Rama, you have sold me on Wrestle with that logic. Although perhaps the person who is next to him will not always be the guy you'd like to foul. Bloody typical rolling AG on that guy...

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Also Rama, you have sold me on Wrestle with that logic. Although perhaps the person who is next to him will not always be the guy you'd like to foul.

You always want to foul whatever you can reach, no? ;)

(Besides, if they've gone through the effort to blitz your DP with someone, it is probably with someone they expect to be able to cause damage)

Status
Not open for further replies.