1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skill allocation advice

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Narly Bird, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Another option is Jump Up, although it could be a while till you get to see the full benefits of it.

2. Rama Set

Rama Set Member

Cyanide Username:
    Rama Set
    Country Flag:
    Ghoul in MM just got to superstar and rolled another double. He looks like this:

BLock, Dodge, Tackle, Guard, MB., -1 AV.

I am thinking about PO for more killing power, Grab for pitch control or just skipping it and taking SS.

Any thoughts?

3. Jasper

Jasper Member

Country Flag:
    Jump Up could be good too, since you already have a bunch of hitting skills. I'd take that or SS over PO or Grab.

Grab you can get on a Wight where it'll be just as good and you don't really benefit from having more than one or two players with it.

PO just seems like asking for it with a valuable AV 6 player who can't apothecary/regen.

4. Rama Set

Rama Set Member

Cyanide Username:
    Rama Set
    Country Flag:
    I know what you mean about Jump Up, but the thing about Jump Up is that it is usually used after you get hit, which is what I avoid like the plague with him. I was thinking piling on, because there is very little fouling in MM, and I can also only use it when I know I am safe.

5. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    Nice ghoul... I'd save PO for a wight with av8 and regen if you can... I think sidestep is needed to round him of nicely... I'd almost suggest stand firm except for the fractured skull.

6. Rama Set

Rama Set Member

Cyanide Username:
    Rama Set
    Country Flag:
    Already have it on a wight too. SS does seem like the wisest choice, but again it's a skill you use after being hit, which I would like to avoid.

7. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    frenzy?
    juggernaut?

As it is, you're currently saying that you NEVER allow him to get hit, meaning that any skill not directly related to hitting is useless. If thats the case, then you have juggernaut, frenzy, wrestle, piling on, dirty player and grab as options, and thats pretty much it.

Fend and sidestep (fend moreso) will keep him alive if he DOES get hit, but if him getting hit is a 1 per 5 games occurence or something, it doesn't seem like that useful of a skill.

8. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    I prefer sidestep over fend personally, great synergy with tackle and guard. Fend stops following up but sidestep lets you reposition that guard/tackle where its needed most and stops chain blocks. Frenzy ghouls should have sidestep first or a bit of a liability and this guy won't get another skill for 100 spp so when he frenzy's into a bad spot with av6 and no regen he's asking for trouble. There is some merit for Juggernaut but I think sidestep is more important for this guy!

9. Limdood

Country Flag:
    so Ragnarok-N-Roll's Yhetee Bjork is going to hit level 4 as soon as the game gets validated. She already has mighty blow (duh!) and guard (the team needed it at the time)....as she hits level 4, i might have a decision to make:
    If i roll a double, its block as a no-brainer...she's already a killing machine, and i regularly engineer 3d blocks for her. block will change my odds of a turnover from 1/9 (1/27 on 3d) to 1/36 (1/81 for 3d).

If i don't roll a double, which is far more likely, as the team has had some frankly ridiculous skill ups lately (3 doubles in the past 4 skill ups), i have a choice of Juggernaut, for pseudo-blocking, or piling-on. both of them have their drawbacks. I find that i'm OFTEN making a 4+ roll to put her in base contact to tie up players and perform regular blocks instead of blitzes. Mostly because one of the blitzers on the team, Sid vicious, is a block, frenzy, JU, tackle, MB, PO beast and is a more reliable blitzer.

This kind of hurts both options, since juggernaut doesn't do anything unless i blitz, and piling on encourages you to blitz yourself back standing again. My final opponent in the CrC will be dwarves or chaos dwarves, so piling on on a clawMB piece is certainly attractive there, for potential RELIABLE pitch removal of dwarves. Additionally, no players on either team have SF except the deathroller.

actually, upon writing this, pro is starting to look pretty attractive as a double too...makes those turns where i'm just using a move action a bit more reliable...up to a 5/8 chance of success from 1/2, not to mention its double duty on rerolling the 1s when blitzing or blocking, or the block dice if i need something better to come up.

As a side note, i'm still psyched that i still have a TEAM left at all. Somehow my norse have managed to survive up to a not-actually-bloaty 1930+ TV over the course of their 20 game career

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  10. Rama Set

Rama Set Member

Cyanide Username:
    Rama Set
    Country Flag:
    Why not Stand Firm? It helps keep you in contact to block and keep that guard and disturbing presence where you want it.

11. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Seconded. I'd be taking SF almost automatically on a normal roll here.

12. Jasper

Jasper Member

Country Flag:
    Jump can at times also be a good defense, keeping opponents that knock you over from marking you prone for fear of offering a free block.

I like it in particular with Stand Firm or Sidestep as then anyone blocking you usually offers you a free block in return, which can definitely be a deterrent.

But yeah, less useful with AV 6!

13. Jasper

Jasper Member

Country Flag:
    Sidestep frequently prevents you from getting hit, either because you're on the sideline where other players are wary of going (especially those with Frenzy), or because failed blocks don't push you into a second block.

It's a solid defensive skill and will keep you alive better than any other choice, with the possible exception of Fend. I'd take it over all the others easily, unless you're just looking for a change of pace.

14. Jasper

Jasper Member

Country Flag:
    Oh, and definitely get Juggernaut on that Yeti due to the "synergy" with Wild Animal. It won't be as good as it is on a MV 6 Rat Ogre, but nonetheless it's handy to not get so frequently left out of the action and make your blitzes more reliable.

I'd take Block over Pro on a Yeti, due to the riskiness of Block-less Frenzy... Unless I already had Juggernaut, then I'd have to think about it.

15. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    Stand firm for the Yeti for me, goes well with guard frenzy and high str and you have a good blitzing option already so probably want to use him more as road block/support.

16. Limdood

Country Flag:
    interesting suggestions. To be honest, i hadn't considered Stand Firm at all. I can't remember the last time the Yhetee suffered a push. When my opponents DO decide to block her, its pretty much always a takedown.

For the people i play, the yhetee tends to be out of position (usually do to failed 4+ WA rolls or occasionally a :skull::bothdown:) OR tends to be a target that must be taken down post-haste, dur to anchoring my defense or offense - so when my opponents do commit to taking down the yhetee, it usually happens.

17. Rama Set

Rama Set Member

Cyanide Username:
    Rama Set
    Country Flag:
    I should have taken SS instead of Piling On. First match with it and he gets surfed... dead.

18. Mordachai

Mordachai Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Mordachai
    Country Flag:
    So, on my 20th skill up roll I finally roll a double on the Elfbowlers...
    *sigh for my shitty rolls, yay for finally rolling a double*
    The darkelf in question (CD Blocker) already has MB aaaaand I know I should probably just pick Claw now that I have the chance... but it will give me very little in the upcoming Spoon game against Limdood (he has 2 AV8 dudes on the team, the rest are 7 already.

I am also considering Foul Appearance (although less so now that it is split into two skills, the other half being Disturbing Precence) as well as Prehensile Tail (combo'd with SF for his next skill).

On the non mutation side of things there are JU, in case I decided to go for PO later (although I prefer to have my dudes standing).

So, what do you think? Is there really a choice to make? Is Claw a given?

19. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kazman29
    Country Flag:
    Yes, claw is a given. Anywhere near an Ulf or the Yheti and he blitzes! I think diving tackle would also be a good choice. More effective than the tail. MA4 and disturbing presence probably isn't that effective. For me the choice is definitely between claw and diving tackle. But I'm just a gay elf coach (actual elves) so what do I know :p

20. Limdood

Country Flag:
    i only have 2 AV8 players...one of my Ulfs has -AV.

If you skip guard, you'll have less than me (i have 5) BUT i know how big of a pain it can be to get Claw on a Chorf team (In fact, in 2 chorf teams i played in singleplayer until every chorf blocker had 5 skills or more, i never managed to egt claw once...in 60 rolls)

Mord, my roster is Set. I have no AC/CL to toss, really don't wanna fire any players, and i selected my 2 pending skillups (block on the yhetee, and DT on the blodging runner). If you select the double and make no other changes, you'll get 230k inducements, 240k for a normal roll so not a big difference.

but yeah, my norse are identical to pro elves in the value of claw...maybe less, since my only AV8 is on stronger players and you'd be outguarded....then again, how do you justify passing a double?

Good luck with your decision...if not with your injury rolls in our game!

also just noticed you were considering JU....let me tell you, from having it on my berserkers, JU is AWESOME to have on a killer. Unfortunately, i've had it on Chorf blockers before, and it is a 3+ roll to block from prone instead of a 2+ roll, which can tempt you to try that roll for greed CAS at times when you really can't afford to leave him prone. If you can discipline yourself not to use it all the time, having a JU POMBer can be really helpful, and gives a go-to player for making those key blitzes against valuable targets.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.