1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skill allocation advice

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Narly Bird, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Seems like it. But at least those GFI:s are giving me more options. And I have found some uses of being able to go four squares from prone position without any GFI:s to be handy too.

Now if he would only skill up again. ;)

2. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Having played against him last night, i am impressed by the MA7 Wight. I would now definately take +MA on a non double skill for a Wight. For a double though i like the survivability that Dodge brings.

3. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yea. I'll just have to hope one of the wights roll a double. On the other side, I don't have any dodge at all on the team right now. Only lvl 3 WW rolled a double so he got MB. And second skill on MV7 Wight was normal, so he got guard too now.

4. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Got a 2nd normal skill one of my blitzers, and not sure what to take. First skill was dodge.

Next match is vs Coachman's Orcs who do not have any dodge at all. Strip ball is less useful too as the ball is likely to be in the hands of the thrower most of the time he has the ball. Sidestep is the most likely one I guess but I am open to suggestions.

5. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, SS would be the logical choice, even if it's not really original.

6. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Depends.. how much dodge does bintz have? ;)

7. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    If I recall well I have dodge on: both witches of course + 2 blitzers + 1 lineman.

8. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    I could have put dodge on a blitzer but thats not how we roll. More Gizz-ard sucka. You know dis!

And that "thrower" is J Bomb, show some respect home boi.

Take all tha side step you want playa, yall can choose where they draw yo chalk outlines.

Holla.

9. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    #9 (Dark Elves) is only in CTA, but I think I'd appreciate some skill advice right now.

Team is:
    3 Blitzers, one +ST, one +MV (that is MNG) and a rookie
    2 Runners, one wrestle and one +AG (that rolled a double now)
    7 Linemen, two wrestle, one dodge, one kick, one +AV and one rookie
    4 RR, 5 FF, 1 Apo, 140 k, TV 1370(current)/1500

Two questions -

1. What to do with the AG 5 Runner. I was going to get dodge since AG 5 is useful for dodging around and picking up stuff (and a failed dodge that I had to team RR cost me the third and last TD of the game ;)) But a doubles.. I have no guard, but I'm hesitant to give guard to an AG5 runner. Strong arms could be useful for future long passes, (giving him 2+ passes for the first three bands) but I'm still not convinced that this would beat the sheer survivability of dodge at this junction.

2. I want to buy another player. Especially since I've got only 11/12 players for the next game. A bench is better than no bench. My first thought was to get Blitzer #4, especially since it is a Blitzer than is MNG:d. Then I realized that I have some wrestle onboard, and that it might be time to get a witch to get some more dodge on the team. (And to have her before my TV becomes too stratospheric for her to ever improve).

Thoughts? Comments?

10. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    1. I would get guard. Sure, it will make him a target but guard is too useful to pass on it. Make sure you block away the guy he helped get blocked so that he doesn't stay much into contact .

2. I think it comes to personnal preference. A witch is always usefull cause your opponent always has to think about being surfed but a blitzer is more useful out of the box.

11. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    1. Strong Arm! Build him as a pure thrower with Pass, Accurate and Safe Throw (Sure Hands) later. This runner then becomes your main playmaker. Either run him in a loose cage with receivers peeling off, or keep him deep and bomb it.

Giving him Guard will hasten his death and you won't get the most out of the skill in the short term either. Av 7 with no block or dodge and Ag 5 on top of that screams "kill me now"!! A good passer really opens up the field for dark elves and gives them the option to pass or run, while keeping him out of the thick of the fighting most of the time.

2. Fourth blitzer. A dark elf team with less than four blitzers is not a proper dark elf team!

12. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I agree on not guard. It is useful on defense, but on a defenseless AG 5 AV 7 piece, not so good for offense unless you actually can get both markers pushed away, which only happens half the time.

Long passes might be useful, but there's a fair amount of SPP (13) to even get to pass, and even after that I don't have any catchers. Still, at least it would get use of the doubles.

My other idea was to build him as an unstoppable ballsacker - dodge, wrestle or block, strip ball/tackle/leap. But I guess having an AG5 guy actually ready to learn to pass is neat.

-

Well, some teams start out with 3 Blitzers and a Witch, I thought I could choose a similar position. As you said, a blitzer will continue to be useful out of the box, while a witch takes some time to build.

-

Still, good thoughts. I might go for strong arm, even if I'm not completely decided. Anyone else want to chime in about doubles on runners or the benefits of blitzahs or witchahs?

13. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Strong arm, accurate AND ag 5 seems like overkill to me. Sure it is 2+ at all ranges but how often will 2+ not 3+ on a bomb make any difference?

Negating rain or dp I guess is more useful, but still marginal. I would be very tempted to skip the double.

14. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    Your entire team is made of Catchers. Just get someone free and they catch on 2+. Definitely go for Strong Arm.

I'd also go with the 4th Blitzer. Blitzers are the workhorses of the Dark Elf team whereas Witch Elves are the show ponies. You need the workhorses in place and working before you can add the show ponies.

15. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    If skipping it, what would you go for instead? Accurate or dodge? Accurate does help in dumpoffs as well as longer passes and dodge helps running around. Or should it be pass first and accurate later?

16. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    If you are going to skip the double then take Pass first.

17. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Well, if I'm skipping the double, what is best of dodge and pass?

18. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I would go with dodge then, AG5 still gives you a 2+ short pass, and that should be good enough in over 90 % of all your passing situations. You will probaly use a reroll some times to get the ball flying, but your player could very well survive to see another skill.

19. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Depends how you aim to use him and how much Tackle you are likely to face. If you can't see yourself getting a bench of 1 or 2 reserves any time soon then Dodge is a decent choice in order to give him some protection. It also means you can move him more freely and don't have to worry so much about burning a team re-roll when dodging.

Pass has two advantages though:

1. It enables you pass the ball reliably, as you can often save the team re-roll for the catch roll if needed.

2. It makes dump-offs a lot more reliable, especially when combined with the extra agility.

20. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Im all for building elf teams with survival skills first. So i would go with Dodge. But Pass wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.