1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skill allocation advice

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Narly Bird, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Altashheth

Altashheth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I took diving tackle on my wight after MB, I want a utility wight that can hurt, and can guard, and can trip people up.... :)

2. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    A catcher was going to be my first purchase (after the Apo) but the dead blitzer set that plan back.
    Next purchase will be a catcher for exactly the reason you give, although I probably won't have the funds for another 2 matches.
    Would that change your suggestion?

My initial thought was Stong Arm, but I wasn't sure if humans should initially seek to improve their running game first by protecting the ball carrier (dodge) or gaining more assists (guard)?

I guess Guard as a double is just as useful on a lineman or catcher, but Strong Arm is only useful on a thrower?
    That said, I may get more use out of Guard, perhaps? :confused:

I'm talking myself round in circles. :D

3. Phunbaba

Phunbaba Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Phunbaba
    Country Flag:
    If it were me I'd take SA as I like to have a passing option. I've even taken it on one of my runners in the BC. His next skill is gonna be Accurate so I'm 2+ short passes. One of these days he may even get Pass as a skill.

4. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Well if you like the passing game then I would take Strong Arm, but I would go with Accurate as the second skill in that case and try and use him on offense only if possible. Ag 3 with SA & Accurate throws at 2 2 3 4, while with only SA it's 3 3 4 5, which is a lot less reliable.

5. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    guard.

Having a guard thrower is fantastic. If you're not planning on passing a lot (you can still pass with AG3 skilled to AG3 skilled, each roll just has a 1 in 9 failure chance), and will play a running handoff game, then you can build your cages with minimal players, and run a strong hitting offense. The guard on the thrower means when someone busts your cage corner and fills in the gaps, you don't have to run over a bunch of assists or risk 1d blocks, if they're marking your ballcarrier, they're giving you an assist straight away.

I personally would rather make the thrower that rolls a double right away take guard, and make him your "all arounder" - on the pitch all the time. If you want a passing game, you can get another thrower and get accurate first. I'm against AG3 players taking strong arm without accurate, as you'll tend to make a lot of quick passes in a normal offense, usually for switching sides around the defense and such...while strong arm essentially adds 3 squares onto your quick passes, it doesn't make those nail-biting risky desperation plays any less risky, while accurate does.

TL;DR:
    doubles first and you want to pass = guard and develop as all-arounder and buy another thrower.
    normal first and you want to pass = accurate and take SA on a later double if you want to pass.

6. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    Bugger.
    Great arguements for Guard & Strong Arm still leave me with a tricky choice. :D

I pretty sure I could descipline myself not to start throwing the ball around with SA until I had Accurate and/or a Catcher.
    And ultimately I'd like to have an attacking thrower which SA + Accurate would give.

However looking at the rest of my matches (Liz, HiE, KhD, Ogr, Orc) this season I do wonder if Guard might be more useful for the moment.
    Had my humans had a better start and gained more SPP by now then I might be feeling more adventurous and leaned towards SA.

7. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    I went for DT in the end. Used it only once vs High Elves to make him burn a RR, and declined to use it another time as I missed out he was dodging in a TZ. Still I'm sure it will come in handy - next game is Halflings :D

8. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I wanted a killer wight, so when I rolled doubles on the first skillup (for the wight replacing my concussed POMB-Tackle-Standfirm wight) and it was doubles I picked jump up. Then MB, PO, and Tackle in that order, even if it took 12 games to get him from rookie to cookie. Now I just need to figure out what to get next when (if) he skills again. Maybe stand firm, probably juggernaut.

9. Limdood

Country Flag:
    running an orc team in CTALE and events have so far conspired to prevent me taking guard.

So far i have a 4 Blorc, 4 Blitzer, 3 Lino, 1 thrower team.

1 lino w/wrestle
    1 thrower w/block
    Blorc w/guard
    Blorc w/DT
    Blitzer w/tackle
    Blitzer w/DT
    Blitzer w/6+4 pending
    Blitzer w/6+5 pending

i'm leaning towards the stats at this point, simply because a 7 MA and a 4AG orc blitzer would BOTH be fantastic additions....but i'm also woefully behind on guard.

For what its worth, my 2 remaining games in CTALE are UWD with some claw, and halflings. Guard might not be a priority QUITE yet, but neither can i discount the tree threat or the danger of a claw troll (and maybe blitzer)

10. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I would take the stats ASAP, they will make your Orc team shine and stand out from the rest, should also make them more fun to play:D

11. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Humans

I'd go with guard and turn him into your defensive thrower.
    Guard , block , fend

Then get another thrower to get accurate

Orcs

Take the stats

12. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Tys (re: Human thrower)

Limdood - I have to agree with taking the stats on the orcs.
    +MA and +AG may well see them accelerate towards lvl 3 and Guard anyway.

13. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    The only mandatory skills on orc blitzers are guard, tackle, MB. That leaves two skills on the way to superstar that can be anything - plenty of room for stats there..

14. Limdood

Country Flag:
    somehow i suspected that would be the reply. Guess its time to take the stats and grit my teeth through a few more games with crossed fingers in the blocking war (no MB means no reliable # advantage either)

15. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    Had one of my trickiest skilling choices in a while come up...

My OCC team just got its first two level ups, both doubles. The lineelf was an obvious call for Guard, but...

3 x rookie Blitzers
    1 x rookie Assassin
    1 x lvl 2 Assassin (double, unpicked)
    5 x rookie lineelves
    1 x lineelf w/ Guard

Multiblock is the commonly proposed one for an assassin, but people who play a lot of Darkies usually say that this is a trap. Soooo... what instead? They've already got global taunt, so Guard is liable to shorten her lifespan even further. Ignore it and just take Dodge? Stand Firm to make her harder to escape? I've got a Chorf team later on, but no other native tackle nonsense.

16. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    multiblock is what stab is made for

sure, other things are good too, but that's why you bought the bastard, player removal. multiblock fits that bill

17. Limdood

Country Flag:
    take multiblock....get 2 stabs off the line on kickoff receptions. For the rest of the game, try to maneuver the assassin between 2 prone players for free stabs when they stand. Often not the greatest idea to blitz-stab unless you REALLY need the player not to get moved (say your opponent parks a block player with the ball in the corner of their own endzone....any hit that pushes becomes a crowd throw-in). Once you've got multiblock, the assassin is even less of a blitzer, but only because its worth as a stationary man-marker goes up, not because it gets worse.

Basically, if you have an assassin, you should get multiblock if it ever comes up

18. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.