1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skill allocation advice

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Narly Bird, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Finally deciding that while I think I can easily keep a couple of reserves on my team, I am unable to match danton in sheer positioning skills (or just that I do more dodges with my runners than passes) I went for dodge.

2. Hoverdog

Hoverdog Active Member

Country Flag:
    my first saurus to get a skill rolls doubles :confused: and I have no idea whatsoever as to what to choose for him. get dodge (then break tackle) for a mobile defender or disregard the double and choose block to help decrease the turnover rate? Or maybe wrestle to have a ballsacker? help!

also, i have 110k in bank, exactly 10k short of a third RR :mad: i'm going against bobman's skaven next, deposit the money and buy reroll after the match, or acquire a skink to have someone on bench (i'd have to roll 70k winnings to get the RR afterwards).

edit: also, what to take on a block nurgle warrior (normal roll)? the other warriors are block/mb, block/mb and guard.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  3. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    Personally I reckon doubles on a Saurus should be ignored first skill. If your wanting to build a ball sacker then I'd prefer Break Tackle first followed by Wrestle then Tackle. Otherwise go for Block (my preference) although I know of Lizard coaches who swear by MB first skill on all Saurus to speed development.

As far as the money goes, save for the reroll. You need the reroll more than the Skink for the moment.

4. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    You could be sneaky and take sure hands on the saurus - dangerous but fun I think. For the Nurgle warrior only Mighty blow works. Guard is skill number 4 on nurgle warriors. Claws is of course #3.

5. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    For the Saurus - take Leap. You can never have too much Leap! :p

Seriously, though, I'd take Dodge or Jump Up on the Saurus. Diving Tackle wouldn't be a bad choice too.

As for the NW, there are many very good chocies: Guard, Stand Firm, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Claw, Grab, Prehensile Tail - take Your pick. :D

6. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    After my last match with Pus In Boots I was lucky enough to level two Nurgle Warriors. Both are getting their first skill and I got one regular level and one doubles (yay?). Having 1 Guard Rotter on the team and facing High Elves and then Skaven I am sorely tempted to go Mighty Blow on both to try to get at least one of them to MB/Block before facing Orcs and Undead. The more sensible option is ofc Block on both right now, but the odds of CAS'ing on the LoS/in the grip of tentacles seems decent enough if I can pressure them into scoring fast if(when) I lose control of a drive. It's definetly a high risk/high reward play, but I sorely need to bash up before the matches against my fellow bashies and ST4/Av9/Foul App/Regen is a pretty decent defense in itself.

Any thoughts?

7. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Only that I'm glad I've played you already! That said, you didn't seem to have any trouble beating my guys up with unskilled players..

I think you probably want to skip the double for the moment. Nurgle Warriors probably want Block first for immediate reliability, but there's always a case to be made for Claw and/or Mighty Blow.

8. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    I'd go with Block and Diving Tackle (with the latter one getting Tackle and Prehensile Tail later to make him a dodgers' nightmare), but I think going with Guard or Mighty Blow before Block won't be a bad choice too.

9. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Not really a skill question so much as a spending one:

11 man Dark Elf team; 4 Blitzers, 2 RR + apo : TV 1140

Next opponents are a 12 man, 3 RR Orc team (the twelfth man is a Troll :skull:) : TV 1210

I have 120k in the bank. What should I buy?

a) a re-roll
    b) a Witch
    c) nothing, and take the babe as an inducement

I'm doing okay with 2 team re-rolls, but I don't have enough skill re-rolls (just x2 Dodge) to really feel comfortable - however you slice it, Elves roll the d6, and disaster is never more than a couple of ones away. That said, a lack of reserves has arguably been a bigger problem, and I've been numbers down in every game I've played so far.

10. Barmution

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Well, I can't rely on pure luck getting me SPP forever, can I? My Beast of Nurgle is also quite miffed that you call him unskilled, but he's a real softie so pay him no attention. Even so, the beating up was quite harmless even by our standards. Your apo was even so embarassed by your blitzer getting "hurt" that he offered him euthanasia on the spot... :rolleyes:

I can see where you're coming from with Diving Tackle, but to me planning that far ahead on a player that's not exactly raking in the SPPs is a bit off-putting. Had it been a rotter I'd be happy to build a DT, Prehensile Tail guy since that would be his designated role (at least now that I got one with Guard), but on such a key player it seems a bit of a waste.

With a 2-0-1 record I'm still in the game if I can get a couple of decent results and the best way to do so atm seems to me to force key players to take risks, which at least against HE means thinning his ranks (Skaven thrive by risk-taking as it is).

I might just go for 1 Block/1 MB to balance it out but I'll let my final decision be a surprise for Viajero when matchday 4 arrives :p

11. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    A rookie witch could have problems against orcs depending how many block/tackle he's got...

I'd go the sure way and take the 3rd RR, it will allow you to dodge away more easily and mobility will be key in that kind of match.

12. Moguai

Moguai Member

Country Flag:
    Ok so just had my second skill up on my team, my thrower got a normal roll and I am a little bit unsure what to get him next.
    I know Sure hands is the common wisdom, but I am also thinking about leader to get a cheap RR or accurate, since my other skill-up is an AG+ linemen, which could act as a receiver and would enable me to spread out the game a little bit.
    Any feedback is very welcome, since I am not too sure, what to take.

Other than that I only have a Runner with 5SPP
    and a Berzerker with 2SPP
    the rest is unskilled

13. Barmution

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    If you've got 3 RRs I'd go for Accurate. You've usually got a round to retry picking up the ball at kick off, and in the middle of a scrum your +ag lino is the best bet anyway to get the ball and get out again. Could also be used to maximise your odds at a desperate long pass upfield at the end of a turn if that improves your situation.

14. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    I have a Blodging Blitzer on my elf team. Who now got his second skill.

I have no idea what I should go for. I really need a ball sacker, but would have liked to build one (or two) catchers towards that goal (Going for Dodge -> Wrestle -> Stripball was the plan), but just bought the fourth of them. And one other is still unskilled.

In the mean time.. Is it worth just going for tackle perhaps. Since he is in the thick of things most of the time, and that makes him more effective blocking and harder to avoid.
    Other thoughts include Frenzy, since Sidestep helps him not getting surfed. And Bintz showed me how much fun you can have with Frenzy.. :)

Other ideas? Thoughts?

/SorroW

15. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    Tackle followed by Diving Tackle would be my build for both assuming only normal rolls. Blitzers tend to have the job of marker on an Elf team and those should make him very annoying for the opponent to deal with.

16. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    Take tackle, you have none on the team and even if you already played me, other teams always have at least a couple players with dodge (ghouls, wolves, gobs, vampires...)

17. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I disagree and would go with Diving Tackle. The Elven Blitzers job is to mark the ball carrier. It is rare that he will get a straight blitz on the carrier. Instead, you knock down a cage corner and place him there instead. Even with Tackle, a ball carrier with a reroll handy can just dodge away, exactly as if you didnt have tackle. But with DT, he no longer has that dodge away option. He has to knock you down. And thats where the beauty of Sidestep/DT combo comes in (not to mention blodge).

In CCIV i built my Blitzers that way (until they died) and I ended up coming 2nd. Definately DT before tackle IMO. He will then be a turnover machine.

18. Slyspy

Slyspy Member

Country Flag:
    That's good thinking Narly, I'll have to try it.

19. Hoverdog

Hoverdog Active Member

Country Flag:
    so cpt James Cook (skink) rolled doubles, a 5+5 on top of that. What should he take? Block? Wrestle? Sure Hands? Something else?
    also a normal roll on saurus Vasco da Gama. I think I'll take break tackle, but wrestle seems like a close contender for a sacking-type of player.

20. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    For the skink Block or +mv I would say. Leaning towards +mv

For the saurus, it depends how many saurus you have with block already, if it is 0-2 I would get block. A saurus with wrestle, tackle and break tackle I think is a great sacker. In the lizards article coach recommends having 3 with block then getting one that goes break tackle, wrestle, tackle (in that order) which seems pretty solid to me.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.