1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skaven Skilled or un-skilled linemen to LOS?

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Freeks, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Freeks

Freeks Member

Country Flag:
    I'm playing today TT semifinal match with Skaven against Chaos Pact.

Chaos Pact has two big guys and marauders with Block. My team is fairly skilled at TV1850. I have three linerats with one skill: Guard, Block & Wrestle. Then i have three unskilled linerats.

Now i need to decide to either put skilled linerats to LOS or bench on defence. LOS will be carnage and i would not miss the unskilled rats, but the skilled rats would be in need on offence. Yet it would also be easier to defend with one guard rat.

I defend with only three Gutter Runners as one is fully skilled one turner. I take him to pitch only to do OTD's. (He runs full 13 squares and has Two Heads for dodges)

I also have Rat Ogre, but him i never put on LOS in defence. I might even sack him before the game to even a bit the TV difference that is 350 currently.

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Bench any throwers on defence.

That way you get 3 gutters, 2 vermin, 1 ogre and 1 guard lino on the second line, and three rookies on the LOS.
    (Final place goes to wrestle lino or the oneturner)

Your team might also be better off without the ogre, adding a couple more linerats instead.

3. Freeks

Freeks Member

Country Flag:
    Actually my Thrower became another blitzer. He got +ST and has block making him strongest (reliable) blitzer.

Funnily my Skaven team is most feared in the league. My blitzer has done most casualties and i have killed four players. Two with that thrower :)

Todays game is the most important so far as winner goes to finals. Cutting out Orge would have been option to slim down the TV. What i fear is Wizard. It can really ruin a day. But then again as this is important game i might want to get one more linerat. I have 14 players now and that have been good for now.

UPDATE: Opponent has bought two new marauders so TV difference is 250k now. Now cutting the Ogre would rule the Wizard off. (I'm 100% he will take one if possible) That also tells something when Chaos Pact takes 2 extra players against Skaven :D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    crimsonsun likes this.
  4. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    What skills does the Ogre have? If it's a single or two you could perhaps drop him and still somehow fit in a linerat without getting into wizard territory?

5. Freeks

Freeks Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the tips!

I won the game 2-1. I retired Ogre before the game. I chose to kick and started with unskilled linerats in LOS. One of those got casualty so it was good not to have any skills. My first blitz with blitzer killed one skilled marauder :D

Opponent had Renegade elf with AG5+Leap+Two Heads. He lead/dodged through defence lines but on goal line he rolled 1+1 for last GFI and i won.

Last game for the Gold is against skilled Chaos team. I got one lino injured with -MV so i will need to replace him. It's also 100k TV difference so if i buy one extra player he will get Wizard. In that last game i had two extra players but had five players in CAS/KO box.

6. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    That makes for a hard pick.

Firstly I wouldn't sack the -MV player. He's out this game, but afterwards he makes an excellent LOS player. (Cheaper than buying a new one)

As for replacing, it looks like either you buy none, or you buy two and give out 200 inducements. Ending up on a flat 150 is probably the worst - unless your opponent is afraid of your killers and would get apo+babe. (One option would be buying two new linerats, then sacking the block linerat to give up 130 inducements)

7. Freeks

Freeks Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, i'll keep the -MV player. I have 120k cash so i could buy two linos.

Final opponent has only 11 players. He will need to buy at least one player. He's AG5 top scorer died in last match. Our TV difference is now 90k so getting one lino will not go to 150k. and if he chooses to buy one player then i'll get two linos.

Sacking the block linerat is not bad idea either. This is my first BB team so i have done some mistakes on skilling. Block to lino is not good. Also +AG for Blitzer was just waste of TV.

We play the finals on next Saturday. This was my first ever BB league and most of the other players have played devade or so. I'll be the first rookie in finals.

This is my team: Too Fast For Love opponent: BMC Body Hammers

That AG4+Block Chaos Warrior will be hard to stop. Good thing it has MV5.

8. twitch.tv/the_Sage_BB

twitch.tv/the_Sage_BB Active Member

Country Flag:
    Personally I only skill linerats with kick or dirty player on normals, (otherwise guard or +ST). Guards get block, kicker gets wrestle, dps get fired if they skill again. Simply giving block or wrestle just isn't worth it on them imo. As such, I'll field 3 rookie linerats on the LoS, then the kicker and 2 dps (or 1 dp and a guard, or some such) in the field's front row. Behind that row, I'll hide my 2 SV and 3 gutters (like you, I usually keep my thrower and my OTTD gutter on the bench on defense. I also don't play with a rat ogre, though he can be reasonably safe against many teams in the middle spot of the blitzable row.

-MA or -AG linerats make fine linefodder if you want to preserve some cash.

Normally Skaven at that TV tend to have a wrestle strip ball, which would help a ton. However, your opponent doesn't have any tackle which helps a lot, and besides, you don't even need to sack the ball to win. If both of you stall til turn 8, your OTTD has a great chance of winning you the match.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  9. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I have never had one with Skaven, but I love AG4 on Blitzers on most other races. The Vermin won't be doing much ball handling with 4 Runners on the pitch, but the ability to dodge him away from a marker to help screen, or even better blitz to break someone else free is usually a great help.

It also does give you another potential ball handler when the Gutter Runner attrition starts to set in.

10. Freeks

Freeks Member

Country Flag:
    So this is what happened in the Finals:
    I chose to kick as that's what i do. First half went like from Chaos playboook: My players went to cas/ko box and Chaos stalled to turn 8 and scored.

Then i did what i do best. On last turn of first half i did rather easy one turn touchdown. Then i started second half with another OTT. I did two touchdowns so that opponent couldn't do do/move anything. That makes the rest of the game much easier. After five turns or so opponent made mistake and i punished and made third goal.

Before the game i didn't think i have much chance against really bashy team. My one turner really saved the day, but so did the two new linemen. Those two new guys went straight to KO box from two first blocks in LOS. I managed to start every kickoff with 11 players. I also changed tactic one the second half. On the first half i dodged away to keep screen in place. On second half i overloaded LOS and didn't let opponent trough. Two guard rats were really valuable and my every 1 dice block against ST4 players worked.

AG4 on the blitzer did work this time. He rolled two 2 dodges.

11. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Nice. Well done. :)