1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Elf Some question about my Team

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by jawe, Oct 12, 2010.

1. jawe

jawe Member

Country Flag:
    I played now over 150 games in the last 2 months after I joined the BB-World.

Attached you find a screenshot of my team in the public League. It's runnning something like 34/2/6(including challenges) and I am very proud of this :)

[​IMG]

One of my Blitzers(#2 Avdrir) just leveled up and I am not so sure what to take. It's a double roll.

Piling on: Not so sure if I need this but with already having MB and Tackle it might be a good option. I prefer my players standing tho.

Sidestep: You can never be wrong with that.

Diving Tackle: Wanted to put this on my pass blocker. Don't think it's so perfect for this player although it combines well with Tackle obv.

Strip Ball: For some reason I am not such a big fan of this skill. Dunno why.

This are my 4 choices but I am not sure which one to take or maybe something totally different.

"Katherine" needs Strip Ball next, correct? Please don't say Leap. I love her to much for this skill :)

"Riidrier" I think I have 3 choices on this player: NoS, Diving Tackle or Tackle. I tend to take Diving Tackle but I am not sure how good it is without having Tackle?

Like I said, it's Public League so I am facing bashing teams 9 out of 10 times.

If you see anything else in my roster feel free to mention it. Any input is highly appreciated.

thx a lot.

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I would consider Juggernaut if you don't want to take Piling On, though it sounds like you aren't facing too much Wrestle or Fend. For those times that you do though you can really target those weak and fragile Wrestle + Dodge players.

Strip Ball or Side Step would be fine for the Witch Elf.

Diving Tackle is brilliant even without Tackle, especially against mostly bashing teams who tend not to have loads of dodge. They can still use a reroll if they really wanted even if you did have Tackle.

I would get more Side Step + Diving Tackle personally. Though if you are facing bashing teams a lot and they have Piling On, then I would look to get some Fend on the team.

3. Khail

Khail New Member

Country Flag:
    Wow, it's interesting to see a DE team built so differently from mine - I play tabletop in a fairly bash heavy league. They're currently 20/3/5 W/L/D. The team is here if you're curious.

I subscribe fully to spamming as much Sidestep on Blodgers as you can. It frustrates the hell out of bashy teams.

I would skip the double and take Sidestep on your leveling blitzer (blodge + sidestep + guard is FANTASTIC), and take Sidestep on your Witch as well (allowing for safe crowdpushing).

4. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, your team is thin on Side-Step. I would aim to have at least 3 blitzers with side-step eventually. Tough one with the MB + Tackle blitzer, as PO gives you a bit more killing power, but I think I would take the side-step instead given the general lack of it on the team.

5. maxcarrion

maxcarrion Active Member

Country Flag:
    I must say I’m a big fan of sidestep too, especially on a witch elf – Katherine really should have side step as it greatly increases her capabilities especially when it comes to crowd surfing someone, running the sidelines, breaking into cages and avoiding block chains.

Riidir is shaping up nicely as a safety and diving tackle is a great final skill for him. Shame this one has guard as I’d much rather have sidestep on a safety but it is what it is.

Avdrir again I’d go with side step, makes him a great man marker for a wardancer or catcher as blodge + sidestep makes him very hard to push away, tackle makes him hard to get away from and mighty blow works wonders on the light armour. When it degenerates into a scrap side step also partners great with Guard.

6. biLLy

biLLy Member

Country Flag:
    My preference:

a) Side Step, for obvious reasons, and already commented.

b) Since it has guard, maybe you dont want to be moved at all, so Stand Firm also is a good election.

c) Diving Takle for extra rolls in dodges, although mostly are bashing teams.

Good luck.

7. VoidSeer

VoidSeer Member

1/ Piling on ! All the way. I have a MB + Piling on wardancer, it's a huge combo that works best against High AV (stat wise). Considering that Bashy teams have a hard time against elves when outnumbered and have close to no player with fend, PO is the best choice IMO.

2/ Katherine needs side step prior anything else. I would consider Block in the long run. I know she already has Wrestle, but with ST4, Mighty Blow, and Tackle...

3/ Diving tackle is nice. Shadowing could also be fun, as it goes well with both guard and pass block.

8. jawe

jawe Member

Country Flag:
    Hey,

thanks for the great input. I took a lot of Sidestep now and will take DT on the Pass Blocker.

@Khail: Don't think our teams are so different beside the Runners. I love to play the deep passing game and that's why I built him this way. He just got Dodge. Is Hypnotic Gaze some sort of house rule?

@maxcarrion: I agree with you on Guard on the Safety. Actually he just got it. I was about to skip it but I just can't skip Guard on Elves. In my opinion it's one(if not the one) single most useful skill in the game.

@voidseer: I think Block would be a waste of Skill on someone with already Wrestle. Don't you think?

9. Khail

Khail New Member

Country Flag:
    I see the teams as different because I prioritized Sidestep - it's 2nd skill the blitzers get (barring doubles/stats), and same with the Witches. I rely heavily on it to take on bashing teams - since you have so little of it, we must play the teams very differently.

Hypno Gaze was one of the rewards from winning the Thunderbowl version of the Chaos Cup (see the BB rulebook). Vampires on Vampire teams have it, handy skill. I had a line elf that was awarded Claw as well, but he died shortly after, heh.

10. jawe

jawe Member

Country Flag:
    Now the Pass Blocker lvlt up.

"Problem" is that he can also take +MA.

Normally I am not such a big fan of +MA because I find other Skills more useful.

But on this particular player it seems very good. I can position him better for passblocking and also for receiving. I am not using him as a typical Catcher just because of his skill but I try to pass to him if I am out of rerolls.

Any thoughts?

11. Khail

Khail New Member

Country Flag:
    I would take the +MA without hesitation.

I recently had a +MA blodge/sidestep/tackle blitzer get crippled with a -1ST and sadly had to retire him. The thing I'll miss most is the 8 movement... it makes setting up one turn TDs so much easier. Yours is an ideal player for the one turn TD anyway with Catch... he's the one you want to hand off/pass to.

Take the +MA, you won't regret it.

12. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Ignore the +Ma and take Side-Step!

It combines well with Pass Block, because if you can get a Tackle zone on the receiver of the pass and they catch it anyway, the player is then not easy to blitz away from the receiver.

13. VoidSeer

VoidSeer Member

As a side note, you probably need another pass blocker. I think pass block is only usefull in numbers. Having only one player with it has little impact on the game.

14. happygrue

happygrue New Member

Country Flag:
    One skill that you might consider that hasn't been mentioned (that I saw) is jump up. On your MB blitzer it would be great, as you probably want to be blitzing with him a lot (any turn that you aren't going after the ball with your wrestler I would think?) so it will add a bit to his range. It will also give you the option of the jump-up block (again, great with your MB), and give you more of an option for piling on next - if you should ever get that far.

It might also be good on the pass blocker, but I can't really tell if the skills would work together? If they do, then it would prevent your opponent from negating the pass block by putting you on the ground.

15. jawe

jawe Member

Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

So my team developed a bit more(and lost some players also)

Now Aednaer(ST+1 Blitzer) just leveled up on a normal roll.

What should I give him. I am not sure about Fend or Jump up.

Fend is pretty cool and helps against Piling On but because of ST4 he is not so often the target of the PO-Beastmen and so on. And he already has side-step.

Jump Up is an awsome skill and a bit underrated in my opinion.

Strip Ball might also be an option but I prefer to have this on Wrestlers.

Any thoughts?

16. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

That guy is pretty much at the point now where he has got all the "basic" picks (Block/Dodge/Sidestep/ect...) and is now onto "extras." At this point I don't feel there is anything wrong with picking up Jump Up if you wanted and it's not like any of the other options would be that much better. I mean the only other things that stand out to me are Frenzy and Diving Tackle at this point and Jump Up can be just as good as either.

17. maxcarrion

maxcarrion Active Member

Country Flag:
    OK a few suggestions

Pro – he makes a decent amount of dice rolls, it’s not a bad choice

Diving Tackle – really lock down players, blodge, sidestep, tackle, S4 – diving tackle is a fairly obvious addition to make sure few players can get away.

Leap – with S4 he’s the best bet for leaping into a cage and blitzing a sure handed ball carrier, especially as you have no ag5 players, also I’ve now recommended leap in 2 separate threads today :D

Jump up – it’s nice, especially for brawls for the revenge block.

Sure hands - you don’t seem to have it, when those strip ball wardancers turn up you can annoy them by letting the S4 blitzer carry the ball.

Sure feet – for the player that wants to be everywhere

Catch – you have a lot of throwing skills on that runner, might as well get some catch skills and this blitzer is pretty hard to hold down.

Personally I’d go for diving tackle as defence against agility teams is much harder than offence and you don't have any of it but I’d pick any of these over fend, to me his build works with any of these (especially the S4) but works against fend (especially the S4 but also the other skills like dodge and sidestep) :p

18. Coach

Country Flag:
    I like either Frenzy or Diving Tackle. Fend could be nice as well but I think the other skills offer more.

19. jawe

jawe Member

Country Flag:
    wow,

interessting answers. Especially DT, which I hadn't in mind for this player at all.

I wanted to put DT on my Catch/Pass Block Blitzers. Isn't this better? Actually 4(Tanir) is also going the Catch/Pass Block development like Riidrir.

I actually had Frenzy in mind but I already have two players with it and sometimes I don't want to use Frenzy at all(for example when I stall a cage and only want to push back advanced players)

Sure Hands sounds like an interesting option but on the other hand I want my strongest hitter(together with the ST4 WE) to run around and punch holes rather than carrying the ball.

Luckily the servers are still down so have some more time to think about it :)

20. Coach

Country Flag:
    A strength increase on a marker is excellent. It makes them harder to hit, they are also going to be in base contact with opponents, therefore hitting them during your own turn as well.

I'd develop number 4 in a different way. I would also have taken Diving Tackle way sooner than you have, certainly before both Catch and Pass Block. Tackle is also a much better skill to combine with that role than both of those.

If you use Pass Block to try and get interceptions, then moving them into base contact just makes that harder. Out in the open with the Catch skill and AG4 you will intercept 55.5% of the time. He will also have a harder time hitting players he is marking who don't get away as he is lower strength and doesn't have Tackle either.

The Catch guy may be better off developed as a receiver instead, perhaps with Sure Feet and it gives you a better one turn touchdown via push backs threat.