1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SorroW joins the crowd...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SorroW, Jul 29, 2011.

1. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Greetings and Salutations all!

Thought I should do a little "Hello, and thanks god I found this place!" kindof post.

Long time RL BB player, for about 15 years or so atleast. But most of my BB buddies are busy with kids and wifes and lifes, so started looking into Cyanides game when it came. But was put off by the amount of bugs and DC'ing going on.
    Now I finally looked back into it, and it seams there are more teams. And not as much screaming about DC'ing on the forums. So thought I should take a new look.

Surfed around a bit and found this place. And been having a blast reading up on some tactics and some Team Blogs, well, mostly everything! :)

So am gonna start a new BB life with LE, when it arrives, so thought I should take this opportunity to ask if there is any Leagues I should look into?
    Just some "Play a game a week" and not that Hardcore (since I haven't played that much recently, and playing RL friends and with a few houserules is a different game)?

Thats about it.

/SorroW, who needs to get back to painting his second Human team (and no I suck as a painter so no pictures! :D )

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Hi Sorrow, glad you found the site useful. As for a casual league check out the Crunch Cup and Crunch them All, the latter being currently found in the general section.

3. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    You can also try Orca Cola Championship. It's rather popular among coaches here. They have a one game per week schedule.

Both Crunch Cup and Orca Cola require the use of BBManager - a utility program used for managing replays and statistics.

Welcome to the forums, btw. ;)

4. 18Rabbit

18Rabbit Member

Country Flag:
    And the Crunch Cup!

5. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Hey, SorroW, welcome on board.

Don't worry, we definitely do casual around here. For my own part, I'm usually so casual that I don't have enough time to finish my turns...

As the others have said, the Crunch Cup is a friendly enough competition that is open to all levels and play-styles - team diversity is always very high, the stunty teams always have some sort of representation, and we've seen plenty of interesting rosters, such as Deathroller Dwarf teams and all-beast Chaos collectives!

6. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks all for the Welcome!

And I am sure I will take a closer look on the Crunch Cup, maybe even some other as Orca Cola Cup.

First some training might be a good idea, and first of all to get my bleeding game :mad:!

Oh well.

7. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:

A good start indeed. May I suggest steam? Glad you are on board. Here is to meeting on the pitch.

8. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Seems steam cost a bit more... and you can only get the discount if you have the DE edition, which I don't have.

I ordered it from Amazon, thinking a box would be nice.. But they say they have it, but can't tell me when they are gonna send it. Really weird, now I am digging for my old Player code, and downloading it directly from Cyanide. Now to steal my wifes credit card and this should be done tonight.... :)

9. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Hmmm. I had a similar experience ordering a graphic novel from Amazon and after three months it still hadn't come so I cancelled the order.

I downloaded direct from cyanide too and it worked out OK.

I also recommend the Crunch Cup for you initially as you get back into the game. Orca Cola is a great league, and UKBBL too. Hear good things about Sturm Von Stahl too.

10. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Which part of Sweden are you in? There are a couple of leagues at tabletop, after all ;)

11. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Vadstena, close to Linköping. Would love to find a TT league close by.

12. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Stockbowl in Stockholm is merely two hours away by car ;)

But yea, I drive one hour to play there, and it feels like I wouldn't want to drive a lot longer, so two hours would be fairly desperate. (Your call, though ;))
    (Edit: checked from Vadstena - 2h 45 min - clearly too long. Read below instead)

For something shorter, Närkebowl is in Örebro on September 3-4
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=208786549157393&ref=mf

There you should be able to meet other people, some of whom should know which leagues are available. (I'm quite satisfied with playing in just one)
    Note that the last day of application is this monday the 1st of August.

They also have a league of sorts, also open to non-students, and only 1h 45 min by car. Long, but survivable as long as it is not too frequent. (Stockbowl is one game every two weeks, although if you are really tricky you might be able to get some games back to back)

But you might be better off trying to work through LinCon to make a tournament and through that try to find players for a local league. Stockbowl uses a really nice set of web application to run the bookkeeping parts of the league that the programmer is apparently offering up for other people as well.

13. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    There are a lot of Swedes playing in the Orca Cola League on the Cyanide game too.

14. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the tips Nikolai. But I think I will stick to the Computer version for now! :)