1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spike Issue 9 - Mixed Teams

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Coach, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    So the next Spike issue will have mixed Blood Bowl teams in.

Underworld Denizens, Chaos Renegades and Old World Alliance.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/28/sunday-preview-calling-all-generals/

When the first two got added to the NAF approved teams and LRB at the time, the old world team didn't pass through play testing (It just took away the deficiencies of a Human team). Going to be interesting to see what they've changed, assuming that anything did.

Gallows Bait likes this.
  2. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    I'm glad GW are still pushing on with these although I'm disappointed that they're not putting any new sculpts into the box for Underworld but the look of it.

I've just ordered the last three years' Almanacs as a means of catching up with the rules. I'm guessing this and the previous Spike Snotling team will feature in the 2020 one later down the line.

3. burning_phoneix

burning_phoneix Active Member

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    Corona induced mixed teams because GeeDubs can't get new sculpts right now. Fingers crossed we get High Elves or Chorfs next.

4. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Looking at the article and thinking about the plastic sprues included, the Skaven sprue will have a Gutter Runner on it and there is one in the team photo. I would think that an Underworld team with 0-2 Gutter Runners looks like it will be the new standard for tabletop (and potentially BB3 if/when it comes along). Feels like their Tier level might need re-appraising on that basis.

As for the Human/Dwarf/Halfling combination, I'm not sure I see what that really brings to things or how they compliment each other. The Ogre would still need to be on the roster for the Haflings to have any role. Adding Dwarf and Human sprues into one box would imply a huge range of positional players but that are rather similar to one another. Only the Blockers and Slayers would add much to the existing Human roster but potentially would give them a lot of Strength skill access on a team that still has passing and agility players as well.

Chaos Renegades might get new sculpts if they stick with the Marauders of previous Chaos Pact teams, but if they do something more like the two above combo-boxes then I could see a substantial shift from what we've seen before. Mixing Chaos with Dark Elves seems unlikely as it would add too much AG4 to ST4.

5. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Assuming that 0-2's become 0-1's and 0-4's become 0-2's then a human team trades in 2 blitzers for a troll slayer and 3 or 4 blockers to go on the line.
    They are also limited to 2 catchers and 1 thrower but you don't really want more than that anyway.
    That seems worth it to me.

Underworld with 2 gutters is huge and probably puts level with Skaven in the tier stakes.

I agree that mixing Chaos and Dark elves is too good. Elves with ST4 and S access would be amazing.

6. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    From what I can tell underworld look like having 1 blitzer, 1 thrower, 1 gutter runner and 3 line rats. They mention unique sculpts for each position. Losing a blitzer would balance gaining a gutter.

7. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I suspect (or hope) that GW won't be changing Underworld and pact too much. If this is a we can't make any new models because of covid and 40k thing why not make the gutter runner a thrower and a spikier linerat a Blitzer? Maybe I'm being naive but I don't like fundamentally changing rosters to fit in with existing sprues of other teams. They also have a new team in the Spike already and making a new team and drastically reworking an old one seems like more work than they normally do.

8. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    The box for Underworld looks to be 1 existing Skaven sprue, plus 1 existing Goblin sprue. So it will contain 1 Gutter Runner, 1 Blitzer, 1 Thrower and 3 Linemen plus 6 Goblins. I doubt these will be the limits on positional players as almost all the team boxes are short of positional players anyway. But equally we can see from the photos that the Gutter Runner will be part of the team in some form, which is different. What I would also expect would be a lineman increase as well since they're unlikely to want to sell a box with 1 miniature you simply can't use.

Taking the linemen to 0-3 or 0-4 might make it more likely the otherpother go from 0-2 down to 0-1 but I wouldn't bet on it, especially as the Blitzer is the key to the team.

9. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    The Underworld roster is now up on Warhammer Community.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/02/the-best-of-both-worlds/

The roster drops Blitzers and Throwers down to 0-1 and adds 0-1 Gutter Runner and increases lineman to 0-3. So you still have 6 Skaven but less positionals.

Crucially the Gutter Runner doesn't benefit from being Underworld and still only gets Mutation on a double.

10. Coach

Country Flag:
    Nice to see that they are making team roster decisions based on the bad way they structured the plastic sprues.

Hopefully the changes aren't detrimental. Though I had already paid £40 for two of the Forgeworld skaven boosters based on the previous iteration of the team.Will gaining a Gutter Runner make up for losing a Blitzer and that strength skill access. The thrower to a Lineman doesn't make a huge amount of difference but it is a small loss if you wanted to build one for all out throwing and one for ball recovery with Big Hand etc.

11. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    This is the biggest issue for me. The Gutter Runner vs Blitzer will change things, but above all else I find it so disheartening that all they could manage was putting existing models in a new box then hacking away the roster to fit the sprues. It's a shameless money grab for no benefit to the game whatsoever.

On the matter of the roster, I'm disappointed, the Blitzers are the focus of the team, they are the surprising bash element, making the team a glass cannon challenge to play. It's like taking away a Wardancer from the Wood Elves.

On the basis of this reveal though it's certain that the Old World Alliance roster is going to be a hot mess due to the number of positionals on the sprues.

Supa likes this.
  12. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I’m desperately trying to give GW the benefit of the doubt and I’m willing to concede that overall the team looks as powerful. However it does look like one of my favourite teams has gone from a collection of scrappy players who together can pull off some top quality BB nonsense. To a team built round a killer and a possible natural one turner with a bunch of walking tackle zones making up the rest of the team.

Gallows Bait likes this.
  13. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    To capture some of the discussion on Discord. The roster and article is even more of a mess.

1. They have forgotten to add "Skaven" to the Gutter Runner position, making it unclear what race the player is means that the Animosity rule could be interpreted as treating the Gutter Runner as a third race on the team.

2. The Animosity rule they publish in the article also specifically states in their example that the Skaven Linemen could only pass to other Skaven Linemen/Skaven Throwers/Skaven Blitzers. They have not only failed to update the example but it now directly implies that the Gutter Runner doesn't count as Skaven.

3. The fighting in the dugouts is specifically a named rule for the Underworld Creepers team. The roster is named for generic Underworld Denizens teams. Strictly therefore the rule would only apply if you named your team after that specific team from lore.

Given the levels of rules lawyering in GW games, the actual printed article from spike either needs to be better than this webarticle, or they're going to need to errata clarifications.

14. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    The roster hasn't been disclosed yet, but from pre-order photos I appears that the Old World Alliance set contains three sprues, totalling 15 miniatures.

1 Human sprue (Blitzer, Thrower, Catcher and 3 Linemen)
    1 Dwarf sprue (Blitzer, Runner, Troll Slayer and 3 Blockers)
    1 Halfling sprue (3 Halflings).

15. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Further update. According to leaks (take with a pinch of salt):

Dwarf Blockers and Halflings are both 0-2 making two of the figures included unusable.

Everyone not a Human has Loner.

Everyone a Human has Animosity.

Human linemen make up the 0-12 part of the roster. Apart from these and the above Halfling and Blocker, all other positionals are 0-1.

The team can take an Ogre (but not supplied in box per usual GW practice).

16. Coach

Country Flag:
    In a slight benefit it does make it easier to get these teams rather than buying multiple boxes or the rather expensive and limited team boosters from Forgeworld (though I've already got 2 of the Skaven ones).