1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Stable Blog] Blue Thunder (Terror Island League)

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Captain Thorrek, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    I don't play any individual team consecutively, but a series of teams on one side in a Cyanide league that I play with a friend of mine. It's a continuation of a League we used to play before he got the Cyanide version... a play by e-mail game with a random intrigue event chart we used to run as the teams on the same side tried to secretly undermine each other... was a lot of fun, but took a long time for one game to get done with. Since I can't really do a regular team blog, I figured I'd go with my Stable: So, here's the teams for both stables.

Red Stable (Audiobear):
    Mabel's Pub Crawlers (Humans): A team developed from a group of fans to pay for their pub tabs and damage they cause from watching their favorite teams on Cabalvision.

Sick Leave (Nurgle): A specialized medical team, who just can't seem to do the job right... or are they...?

Bashing Beauties (Amazon): No backstory I can remember of... will be edited in

Big Waaaghers (Orc): No backstory I can remember of... will be edited in

War Waltzers (Wood Elf): A nomadic dance troupe

Ice Tigers (Norse): Might be rotating out at the end of the season.

Blue Stable (Me):
    Sandstorm Sting-Chiggers (Khemri): Team so tired after their long sleep, they have to soak their burial wraps in coffee to keep going. *rotating out after this season*

Warpstone Whack-a-Moles (skaven): Exterminators who fled to blood bowl after rumors of giant talking moles in their city... that's just crazy!

Ye Krakkens (Dwarfs): Pirate team based on my Warhammer army. Hates the Tampered Bay Buccs. *rotating out after this season*

Udder Chaos!! (Chaos): Slaaneshi all cow team.

Tampered Bay Buccs (Dark Elfs): Rival pirate team who signed up on the same Stable as the Krakkens, just to aggrivate them.

The Gobbo Mekkaniks' Gild (Goblins): Goblins who stumbled on a dwarf Engineer's cache, and were kicked out by Skarsnik, so they wouldn't blow up Red Eye Mountain... and maybe get some cash to boot. *might rotate out*

The Yellow Snow Tribe (Orc): A shaman, Blizzid, tried some yellow snow on a dare, and resulted in a Savage Orc Tribe on a rampage to take out the Old World, and corner the frozen dessert market. *might rotate in*

Lothern Longboarders (Pro Elf): A choir who borrowed some Leech Boys albums and turned into surfer beach bums. Play blood bowl to make ends meet to the delight of fans... since they don't have to hear the Longboarders sing! *rotating in*

Mootland Wolverines (Halflings): A group like minded people who are out to prove their race isn't a group of weaklings by becoming savage primitives. Should you tell them, or should I...? *rotating in*

It's already in mid-season, but I'm going to start with tonight's game.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    ... is the word "Slannesh" on auto-edit to "Slannesh"? Not trying to spam post, but mainly doing this to check if I keep spelling it wrong or it's on auto-edit.

Edit: Okay it is, sorry for the needless post... is there a way to delete it, now that I know the answer?

3. sasjhwa

sasjhwa Member

Country Flag:
    I'm the Audiobear in question.

Sick Leave are actually people who work at terribly stressful jobs and all called in sick on the same day. The boss found out and as punishment loaned them out to a Herald of Nurgle to work off theirs business sins on the Blood Bowl pitch.

The Bashing Beauties used to be professional cheerleaders for several other teams but they got tired of all the violence they suffered on the sidelines from the other cheerleaders. They took to the pitch because it is far safer there.

The Big Waaaghers started when a black orc and a goblin got into an argument about who could go through a door first. The orc had his hands full of food so it turned into a yell off. The goblin called some of his friends and the orc called some of his and before long the orcs were thundering above the noise of the goblins. Unknown to the orcs the goblin had tricked them. The goblins were a very bad blood bowl team called the Little Waaaghers and they were locked in an airtight contract they wanted out of with their hides intact. When the orcs won the yell off they pushed the goblins out of the way and charged through the door...straight onto the blood bowl pitch where they fought their way to a draw against Ye Krakkens. They didn't find out until after the game what had happened, or even that a game had been played.

The War Waltzers are nomadic MARTIAL dance troupe. Fans of Ranma 1/2 rejoice.

The Ice Tigers are doomed. They were told by their captain not to leave the dragon longboat but they just had to try a Big Moot sandwich. The chaos gods have not been kind to them for their disobedience. Any who survive the season will have to swim back to the Nordland and make penance for their crimes.

4. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Wow! There are times when Nuffle hates you, and times when Nuffle makes you scrub his worst jockstrap with a toothbrush. This game was one of the latter.

It was my Mekkaniks' Gild vs. his Waaaghers. I just could not get momentum up to save my players' lives. Ironically enough, none of my players died.

His team beat mine 2-0... a sound trouncing. Even when I threw one of my goblins, not only did it fumble and KO the goblin, but the ball landed the ball directly on his guy, who picked it up.

Like another coach said, "Sometimes you're the statue, sometimes you're the pigeon."

Post game I got enough to buy another gobbo, getting my total players to fifteen. None of them skilled up, though. No SPP's entire match.

5. sasjhwa

sasjhwa Member

Country Flag:
    You got beaten like an old rug. Only the rug was less tough to digest afterward. The Big Waaaghers are skilling up nicely and I am in good position going into the last couple of rounds. This may be the team to win the trophy.

6. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    That sounds like a really cool idea to let just two people to play some kind of extended campaign. Can you share this random intrigue event chart?

7. sasjhwa

sasjhwa Member

Country Flag:
    I don't have the intrigue chart any more. It was on a website I couldn't afford to keep.

The idea was that there were 26 events that could happen. They were numbered by playing card face and red or black. Half of the cards had good results and half had bad results. Invariably they added to the wackiness. Before each game each player would draw a card and that event would apply to the game. Some of them would be things like:

da Soopafan, a standard goblin with a big foam finger and delusions of grandeur locks a random player on your team in a locker and takes his spot on the roster for the first half of the game. We kept da Soopafan so his SPPs could build up and make him better if he was played again. I think we had something that if both players picked this card that the 2 goblins would block it out until one or both were out of the game. There can only be 1 Soopafan after all.

Hypochondria Pox. Your coach pissed off the other teams in your stable and just before you took the field all of the other teams conveniently came down with a case of Hypochondria Pox. Your apothecary is too busy treating the other teams to help you in the first half.

Your stable is really angry about the last loss your team suffered. They pool their resources to buy a bribe for your team.

A random player on a random team in your stable has been making goo goo eyes at the girlfriend of a random player on the team you are playing today. They get into a brawl before the first drive. The player on the team you are playing may block the other player first who may then block back until one of them can't get back up again. If the playing player is KOed or injured he is placed in the appropriate box on the dugout before the drive starts. If the player is stunned he is placed in the reserves. Any SPPs earned by either player are allowed.

Team's Biggest Fan: A random player on your team has a stalker...I mean fan who follows them wherever he goes. Your team gains +1 cheerleader any time the player is on the pitch. This fan continues to follow the player after the game so it becomes a regular part of the roster (including boost to TV) but if the player is killed or suffers a casualty the fan will abandon their hero and the cheerleader is removed.

8. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    One part I remember more than anything; on one of the results, a random player on your team is shoved in his locker until the second half by a rookie goblin. At the end of the first half, the player gets a free block against the gobbo. Which had my looney chasing him through the stands with a chainsaw at one point to the song that best describes blood bowl (we wrote our turns down on a website as if it were two announcers commentating)...

Unofficial BB Theme Song

Well, I normally got this result, even better since I had a goblin team in my stable. Sometimes we'd both get it, which culminated into one of our favorite players in either Stable... #17, Da Soopafan!

He'll be making a comeback onto both my gobbo and orc rosters!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  9. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    That theme song would be perfect with Bad Play of the Day !! :D

10. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    What a great game this time! It was a nail-biter to the end. We each scored once and the final turn of the match came down to one play. My rookie witch elf threw a block first and ended up getting :bothdown:, ending the match. It was not the ending I hoped for, but in the end I wouldn't have changed it at all. This was a load of fun and that's the whole point.

The dice rolled well for both sides, only going bad to increase tension, like in a story. Next time these two teams play, I'm going to lay off the Mt. Dew a little... because you gotta drink Mt. Dew when you play this game.

My rookie witch elf got block, but no other players skilled up... learned her lesson I guess. Next match pits the Ice Tigers(Norse) against the Krakkens(dwarf). A second match I'm anticipating.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  11. sasjhwa

sasjhwa Member

Country Flag:
    Bashing Beauties (Amazon) Comments

This game was a real nail biter. Both teams are perfectly matched right now and the dice were generally fair. It was a struggle to get the ball and keep the ball for both of us. I had an unskilled linewoman cut with injury and replaced her with my second thrower. A linewoman also got kick, which is a very important skill for Amazons. With one game left in the season for them and no chance at the bowl game the Amazons are sitting pretty to go far next season.

12. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Well this stable match was Ye Krakkens (Dwarfs) versus The Ice Tigers (Norse). It was a pretty even match at first, but in the end I won 1-0.

This is not an easy report to give, since Norse are a team Sasjhwa has tried on numerous times to play. He is a good coach, and has given me a run for my money many times. They just don't cater to his playstyle: his love of a passing game is severely hampered by the Norse Khorne Beserker mentality. Add in enough bad roles to kill off your most expensive players and prevent them from any ballhandling at all, and you have a team worth hating.

This game started out different... it looked like not only I was going to get a tpigj match on my hands, but I might lose. He kept me away from getting a touchdown the entire first half. The second half I knew I'd be in for it!

Then Nuffle pulled the flippin' rug out from under him. Every roll went bad. He couldn't do anything: dropped the ball on pickups, fumbled passes, lost his werewolf... we ended up just ended the last couple turns.

On my side I have an AG broken longbeard... gives him something to grumble about. So next game I'll be down a player.

On his end, the Tigers had their hands and feet tied with chainshot, then given a free swimming lesson. I do play Norse, and rather like the "Dead things can't hit back" concept behind the team, especially after a bad day at work (no offense meant towards undead/khemri/necro coaches). But rolling consistant double skulls/Ones is not fun by any stretch of the imagination. I saw his team get a glimmer of what they're capable of, only to dissapoint on the worst level.

It's the kind of win that's not fun for anyone. He'll be making another team to fill out his stable, though he's not sure which one yet.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  13. sasjhwa

sasjhwa Member

Country Flag:
    Everything was going fun until YOU mentioned how good I was doing. Nuffle listens for those signs of hope and dances with glee as he crushes them. The next roll failed and ended my turn. Then the players started dropping like flies on your turn. By the end of your next turn I had 1 casualty and 5 KOed players. I never recovered.

So the Norse were sent to the bottom of the sea. We were conveniently playing on the boat pitch which was clearly the Krakkens mighty vessel of war the Pink Sea Pony! ;-p

Arriving at the same time were the Toy Makers, a High Elf team with a very special job in the off season.

14. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    The Krakkens just rotated out of the stable to sit on the sidelines for a bit. In rotates the Longboarders (Pro Elves). This won't affect our Bowl Game, since the two top teams are Mabel's Pub Crawlers (Humans) and the Sting-Chiggers (Khemri). It will change things up for the team though, make things a bit more fun all around since I'm rotating out some bashy teams, and only replacing them with one at the end of the season. :)

15. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Mabel's Pub Crawlers (Human) vs. Udder Chaos!! (Chaos): 3-1

This was a great game! I failed a couple rolls when it counted, but otherwise the dice rolled HOT for both sides, and made for some great plays! It's one of those games that you just don't mind losing. I got a skill up on Purdy Breeches... snake-eyes. You'd think I'd go with block, but since I plan on getting Juggy, and Sasjhwa loves the finesse passing game, I opted for Tackle. It'll be interesting to see how things play out. Despite what the score may say, this was an SPP mill for both sides. I only failed two die rolls, and those were when I was about to stop or get a touchdown.

Great game!!

16. sasjhwa

sasjhwa Member

Country Flag:
    I had to replace Benjamin the Blitzer who got an armor break and replaced him with a second thrower. I didn't have enough for another blitzer and I don't want to go into the last game of the season with a journeyman. It was purchased ahead of the normal schedule but it will be useful.

The play of the day was the second touchdown. Four rolls to get the ball from near the Udder Chaos endzone to a lineman on the LOS to a blitzer who made the TD. 2 rolls were 6s. 2 rolls were 5s with a bonus to make them 6s. I was just trying to get the ball away from his endzone with no real hope of actually having someone catch it since the lineman was in a tackle zone.

Purdy Britches the Minotaur was on fire and cranked out 3 or 4 casualties all on his own including a BH on my Ogre. Definitely the player of the game.

17. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Sandstorm Sting-Chiggers (Khemri) vs. Sick Leave (Nurgle): 1-0

Another great game, though a bit more evenly matched. It was a bit one-sided, since Khemri eliminated a lot of Nurgle's strong points. It was all bash! bash! bash! keeping his Nurgle Warriors away from the rest of my team. As far as ball handling went, it's what was to be expected of Khemri teams. *cue Yakkety Sax*

None of my players skilled up. I looked forward to this game, and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  18. sasjhwa

sasjhwa Member

Country Flag:
    Having one of my pestigors KOed all game from the first drive didn't help me any. As expected there were a lot of good hits from both sides. The Sting Chiggers were lucky enough to get the ball when everyone who could get near was on their butts. I could never get any momentum going, in large part to the excellent use of the mummies. I couldn't break free of them, I couldn't hurt them, I couldn't foul them out. The one time I casualtied one it regenned. Thorrek played the game very solidly. He had my number right from the start and never gave it back.

19. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Warpstone Whack-A-Moles (skaven) vs. War Waltzers (Wood Elves): 2-2

What a match!! This came down to the last turn 16. I failed my last block to get the interception out of the way, ending the last turn. Sasjhwa's War Dancer was at the endzone, stalling for the tie. My blodging Gutter Runner had a couple assists and pushed the WD into the endzone to force the touchdown and give me two turns to score. Didn't come out the way I planned, but a nailbiter's always a great game in my book! :)

One of my throwers got accurate (was debating safe throw, but this'll help). No other improvements and this team's bound for the intrigue playoffs for sure! :D

The playoffs are dice offs between the top three teams in each stable... the highest one going to the cup final (if I can find out how to actually give out the cup in the open tournament). There'll be a short story right-up as to how the teams got there.

Match Rating: :pow::pow::pow: *from :skull::skull::skull: (-3), through :pushback: (0), to :pow::pow::pow: (3)*

20. sasjhwa

sasjhwa Member

Country Flag:
    I had a bit of bad luck in the first half getting 1s on 4 of 5 dodge or leap attempts. Hard to get momentum that way. In the second half the Skaven totally controlled the movement on the pitch hitting me right where it hurt the most and causing a lot of stuns and KOs. Thankfully I got out of it without any long term casualties.

The team struggles when facing big guys and has suffered so many career ending casualties that they are near the bottom of the rankings. To rectify this I fired the S2 lineman I've been forced to play with and bought a Treeman. I don't normally go that route but I've got to get someone on the pitch for a couple of games to absorb some hits and tie up players so I can get a few skills on my team and keep them healthy for a while. I doubt he will be a permanent member of the roster and when bloat starts creeping in he will probably be sent packing.