1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stadium upgrades

Discussion in 'Blood Bowl 2' started by Valcurdra, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Valcurdra

Valcurdra Active Member

Country Flag:
    Interested to see how people have been using the new stadium upgrades?

Some of the effects are pretty damm powerful but higly situational.

My most developed teams are humans and dark elves.

I took the -50k reduction on hiring star players for the de. I play 2 assassin's and adding harkon to that is just brutal. I considered getting rid of get the ref to protect my players from fouling too.

For humans I couldn't think of many I wanted. Ended up taking +1 to armour rolls on failed gfi. I figure I will take far less of these than my opponents since my mv is high.

2. Regor

Regor Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Hey, i didn't have many games in bb2, but with my dwarf team i choose the stadium who stop the pitch invasion (security gate). I don't like when my team get a beat by my own fans xD

3. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
    For my Lizardman team I picked the Magic Dome to nullify weather kickoff event. I have a hard enough time with the ball without it raining.

4. Aleksander

Aleksander New Member

Country Flag:
    This was one of the most interesting additions to the game, I thought.
    I'm currently saving up to plant Elf Grass on my Wood Elf stadium... If there's any way to reduce the number of guys sent to the injury box, I'll take it!

For my first video game team, Chaos, I didn't know what to pick. So I added the Royal Booth(?), which boosted my earnings sooo much that I ended up having to buy rerolls just to do something with my cash!

5. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
    For early Chaos with no block, maybe having a lot of rerolls can be good, but normally I'd consider any more than three to be TV bloat and not really benefit the team that much.

What you can do in BB2 to stay below 150k cash on hand is to spend your cash on inducements whenever you feel you are getting close to the cap. Any time I have more than 100k in the bank, I'll buy a bribe or wizard when I head into my next match to bring it down. In CabalVision league, there are a lot of concedes, so I get double money at the end of the match and it normally replaces however much I spent on inducements. If you already have over 150k and need to burn some of it, you can buy and sell cheerleaders to bring it back down to 150k.

Aleksander likes this.
  6. Sokk

Sokk Member

Country Flag:
    I really like the both sides get a wizard perk as elf teams like Elf that can zone without caging. Fireballs really hurt slower bashier teams. Plus newer players don't really understand how best to use the wizard. The stadium upgrade adds an extra dimension that you can use to outplay your opponent.

I also like +1 injury on surfs. Sure it doesn't do much against good coaches, but it can end a game quick against a weaker coach.

The free bribe is really good with secret weapons. Goblins will love that perk and it is the BEST FRIEND of the Dwarf Steam Roller.

Right now those are three most impactful upgrades that I have seen.

7. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Honestly, as a long time goblin coach, a free bribe stadium upgrade does not appeal to me.

Want to know why? Because a bribe only costs my team 50k each, but the other team gets a bribe as well which would normally cost them 100k. So they are getting better value out of it than you.

If they made it so goblin teams get 2 bribes from that stadium upgrade, I would use it. Otherwise I would take the star players cost 50k less upgrade myself for cheaper access to Ripper, which saves enough cash that I effectively get a free bribe in any game where I am getting 270k inducements or more.

It is very nice for dwarfs though, who don't get inducements in most games and normally pay 100k for the bribe.

8. SlyAnimal

SlyAnimal Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    PapaNasty
    Country Flag:
    I generally take either the one to stop pitch invasions or stop weather changes, depending on which team I'm playing. As generally speaking, I usually just want to ensure that the kickoff events don't drastically change the course of the game.

e.g. earlier this week, I had 6x players out due to heat exhaustion, while my opponent had 1, pitch invasion can be similarly unbalanced, although at least it's only stuns (And it's based on FAME, so if you think you have a high fan factor, it's maybe best to leave it turned on). Playing HEs, with a good thrower, and then having snow is likewise kinda annoying lol.

The bribes/magicians are also pretty evenly balanced I find regardless of the races involved. As although fireball can be destructive when used vs a slow moving cage, lightning bolt can be just as nasty when used vs a thrower/gutter "just out of range" (That +1 to the injury roll in particular makes it dangerous).

9. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
    In the open Cabalvision league, I thought the wizard stadium upgrade would be a great benefit to my skaven team, for the reasons you said. I could much better take advantage of a ball being loose than all the dwarf and chaos teams I was playing.

I eventually dropped it when I realized I was giving everybody a free mighty blow shot on my valuable GRs half of the games, and my opponents only had to deal with it for a single game. The attrition wasn't working out well.

Maybe it is better in organized leagues, but in COL it seems open to people starting to lose and then bolting whoever my best player was before they conceded.

Sokk likes this.
  10. DireSickFish

DireSickFish Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    SickFish
    Cyanide Username:
    DireSickFish
    Country Flag:
    Yeah I'd take a wizard if I was a high armor team and was worried about dealing with Wood Elf and skaven BS. While you can fireball my cage, with high AV it's really not likely to take any of my players out. If I fireball or lightning bolt your AV7 pice, odds are much better that I'm doing some damage and it gives me an option to pop the ball free from sure hands blodge players if I can't get a good hit on them.

11. Sokk

Sokk Member

Country Flag:
    I see your perspective. I've been using it with my dark elf team, and had great success. That is probably the difference between AV8 and AV7.

12. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    The problem being if you use a wizard well against a competent elf coach playing with Orcs you could well hurt someone. If you use a wizard well against a competent orc coach playing with Elves you could well score a defensive TD. In perpetual MM where results aren't as important it's possibly more balanced. However in a league where results are the main thing it is much more powerful.

Sokk likes this.
  13. Sokk

Sokk Member

Country Flag:
    Probably depends on play style. If you play perpetual leagues like an RPG then risking player death is a huge downside.

For me I just play to win. I cycle players once they get to many skills and just like trying to see what kind of w-l I can post.

14. SlyAnimal

SlyAnimal Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    PapaNasty
    Country Flag:
    Biggest advantage of having a wizard stadium upgrade, is when you're a highly ranked team playing a lower one.

As you're both still only able to choose 1x wizard, so your opponent has to take some of the inducements which are less game changing instead e.g. +1 reroll & babes. Since they'd have had a wizard anyway, you simply have one anyway and they have to take some less powerful inducements.

But yeah, I think that most stadium upgrades only give very slight advantages to teams, as they mostly take away a risky kickoff event, although some, like the bribe one, would be good for dwarves & the +1 to injury rolls of surfed players would be good for frenzy teams like DE/Dwarves.

Personally I don't think I'd ever take the wizard one, as it's simply too game changing, since generally I should be able to beat most players, but if they have a wizard (Even if I also have one), then that can potentially ruin my strategy, which gives them an advantage.

In the same way, I never want the sweltering heat kickoff event, or pitch invasion, even though they have the chance to work in my favour, as both of these can change a game too drastically without me being able to prepare for them other than simply hoping you have higher FAME for pitch invasion (Comparatively with say Blitz, which also alters the game drastically, you can at least setup your players in a way that would minimise the impact by covering the sides & a few players back etc).

15. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I know some players who reserve a bit of extra hate for the "throw a rock" event, having gotten players killed before the game even started.

16. Sokk

Sokk Member

Country Flag:
    I really wish there was an upgrade that disabled the blitz kick off event. There isn't any event quite that game changing.

17. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    Whilst a Blitz can have a massive effect on the game it does have the effect of keeping the offensive set up 'honest'. You can mitigate alot of the effects by not over committing to the line and spreading out. It wont stop them from getting to the ball but it will mean you have the numbers to deal with the other team. Whilst there are some interesting ideas of ways of toning Blitz down without Blitz it is too easy to just go down one side without any risk.

Orielensis likes this.
  18. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    Totally agree. Blitz sucks, but you can somewhat mitigate it with proper positioning.

Pitch Invasion and Sweltering Heat on the other hand . . . those can and will cause you to lose a game immediately.

19. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    About Blitz... I find that it's a double-edged sword. Mostly if the team who got the Blitz is playing against a fast and agile team. Going all-in with it means the Defense is completely open. Offense can still blitz and chain-push the ball free, recover, and be in a better position to stall in a safer position than if the Blitz had been used to just screw Offense (blitzing the player that was supposed to blitz an opening, marking the players supposed to run caging the ball or flood the other half, bringing assists to make Offense harder and risky). Then if Offense gets a turnover the Blitz has become successful. :)

As an Elf coach, I'm not that afraid of Blitz. It makes me sweat more, but it rarely benefit more Defense than me. Knowing that, I'm not all aggressive when I get a Blitz myself, unless I can bring a full cage to receive my own Kick-Off.

About Stadiums, I agree that the Rock and Pitch Invasion are about the worst thing to happen. They make good coaches lose badly against bad coaches. I just lost a game I was leading because my Treeman and Wardancer both got stunned from Pitch Invasion. And I once had a Superstar Wardancer killed by a Rock on T1, and Apothecary rolling another Death. I had to play the rest of the game without that player and my Apothecary. The team got so destroyed, I had to delete it. Any stadium that can prevent that from happening is pure gem.