Rules stand firm

Vusfnuv

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Formulation of Stand firm is not really clear to me, could someone explain please?
If a player (beastman) is pushed into a model with stand firm (flash golem), is golem's owener allowed to choose if golem is pushed or stays?
I believed there is an option to choose only if the golem is blocked, but if someone is pushed into the golem, the golem has to use standfirm?

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
As far as I am aware it should be optional, but I've not tested it in Cyanide.

The wording is a bit vague in the rule, but I would assume the use of "player using Stand Firm" in the relevent sentance to imply it is a choice to use it when pushed into.

That and it is worded to avoid a Push Back as the result of a block, not specifically a block against them.

That's my interpretation at least.

mrpier

Veteran
The rules say: "A player with this skill may choose to not be pushed back as the result of
a block. He may choose to ignore being pushed by ‘Pushed’ results, and
to have 'Knock-down' results knock the player down in the square where
he started. If a player is pushed back into a player using Stand Firm then
neither player moves."

So it would seem you only get to choose for the player that is being blocked, and if someone pushes a player into a SF player, you don't get to choose whether to use stand firm on that player.

Barmution

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Barmution
Country Flag
The big issue here is wether the skill is optional or not. Since the skill description of Stand Firm doesn't say that it is non-optional, you should be eligible to choose not to use it as soon as a dice roll is made that has the potential to make the skill relevant.

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Yeah, it's an optional skill, so you should be able to choose whether or not to use it in a chain push. The Cyanide interface does not let you do this directly though AFAIK.

The only workaround I'm aware of would be to disable the skill, like you need to do with HMP, and then activate it when you are blocked. A bit cumbersome, but I don't know how else you would go about it.

mrpier

Veteran
Aha, now I see, missed the implications of the word "using" in the last sentence of the skill description. Yeah, that would indicate stand firm would be optional.

Darkson

Super Star Player
Cyanide Username
Darkson
Country Flag
Danton is correct on the usage. Once surfed a Wardancer at a tourney because my opponent forgot I could elect not to use SF on a golem.
Killed it to.;):D

Kjelstad

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Kjelstad
Cyanide Username
Kjelstad
Country Flag
If you turn the check mark red your opponent will move it when they chain push. just turn it orange if you need to chain push him once

that would take some planning and knowing what your opponent was thinking though as you need to shut it down on your turn (as far as I know)

Juriel

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
From playing Necro, at times I forgot to take Stand Firm into account. I've heard since that you can disable Stand Firm manually (select player, double-click on skill) to be able to accomplish your chainpushing dreams.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Yeah, it's an optional skill, so you should be able to choose whether or not to use it in a chain push. The Cyanide interface does not let you do this directly though AFAIK.

The only workaround I'm aware of would be to disable the skill, like you need to do with HMP, and then activate it when you are blocked. A bit cumbersome, but I don't know how else you would go about it.

While it is your turn you can disable it for your own players if you want to chainpush them (just do it before the block), but I don't know if you can do it while it is your opponents turn.

Vusfnuv

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Thanx to all.
I was asking about table-top rules, not cyanide. I guess should've mentioned this, sorry.

However the answer is given and explained, thanks for that! :D

Jbecks

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
jbecks
Country Flag
Yeah you can, mines optional including if my opponent pushes someone into my beast with it