1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars X-wing miniature game

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Netsmurf, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    This is a game I can recommend for any fan of Star Wars and any fan of fast fun gameplay. The minis even come pre-painted and that I like a lot:D

Usefull links:

The homepage at FFG is here

Great squad builder is here: Voidstate

Just look at this - bigger ships are coming:D

[​IMG]

2. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    My fleet so far is, terrorists: 6 X-wings, 6 Y-wings, 8 A-wings, 4 B-wings, 2 HWK-290, 4 YT-1300.

And the heroes: 10 Tie-Fighters, 8 Tie-Interceptors, 4 Tie-Advanced, 3 Tie-Bombers, 3 Firespreys, 3 LAMBDA

3. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I used to have a Star Wars PC game where you could control the ships in real time battles (you could pause it to give orders to the vessels). I can't remember the name of the game though...?

Unfortunately the land based battles weren't as much fun and were a bit unbalanced.

I was also a massive fan of the xwing and tie fighter pc games many years ago.

The mini's game looks fun, but is really missing the capital ships. Otherwise, whats the point of having those ywings?

4. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    It is made for dogfight, the big ships are for a new format coming this year. The dogfights are great fun:D

5. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Supremacy maybe?

Most of the time I just did automatic battles thoguh. Was a fun game, but quite easy.

6. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I looked it up - Star Wars Empire at War. The space battles were really awesome and had a pretty good range of ships. You could also build space stations, weapons platforms, etc.

But as i said, it was let down by the land battles, which whilst cool, could be really unbalanced. Definitely the highlight was space battles.

7. Altashheth

Altashheth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    So love how you've called them terrorists and heroes..... That's how I've seen those films since pre 2001.....

As for the game, I've been playing a lot of star trek attack wing, almost the same game but with a little more customisation

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  8. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    THat looks cool.

Just for my information what are the sides on the attack dice and defense dice? i.e. how many of each?

9. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    They use D8 and on the attack dice you have 3 stars, 1 sun, 2 eyes and 2 blanks.

The stars are a normal hit, removes either 1 hull point or 1 shield.

The Sun is a crit, If you have shields left it just takes away 1 shield, if not it takes away a hull point and you have to take a card from a damage deck - effects varies but worst is 1 extra damage.

The eyes are called focus and if you have any focus point then you can turn any focus into a hit.

The defence dice have 3 evade symbols (a dot and a snakearrow), 2 eyes and 3 blanks.

The evade symbol negates 1 hit. Always negating normal hits first.

The focus can be turned into evades if you have focus left.

10. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

Yeah spent a lot of time yesterday reading the rules. The impossible part was working out how many of each type they put on the dice. Seems reasonable, making the attack dice slightly stronger than the evade dice. Does mean a-wing vs tie fighter is going to last a LONG time :D.

Can see why they were saying if you have focus and target lock then you can pretty much hit with all your attack dice.

Makes me want to try this one :D. There is a tournament on 5th april in alphaspel in stockholm, which is now a lot closer than it used to be after I moved. 25 min to get home vs about an hour and a half is an improvement :D.

11. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Normally there is a time limit on a match, I think it is 75 mins:)

12. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Ok I now have

3 x Xwings, 2x B-wings, 4x Awings, 1xY wing 1xMillenium Falcon

Plus
    4xTie fighters
    for the aggressor squadron.

Will probably get another falcon and a slave-1 (firespray). Two falcon seems popular, and they are great models.

Next problem is finding someone to play :D. At Alphaspel they apparently tend to play mostly warmachine and similar on "miniatures night". No way getting into something like that :D.

Need to get in some practice games. Have to try some different things. Might have a go at the manoeuvre over the tokens game they were suggesting on the forums.

13. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Posting on the Alphaspel (or Unionen, rather) facebook page with "got game, when could I play" seems to work more often than not.

14. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Also on the Unions FB I found a link to this event in April.
    Dragon's Lair

15. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
  16. annhwi

annhwi Member

Cyanide Username:
    annhwi
    Country Flag:
    I have been involved with a tourney system with the Star Trek Attack Wing game for the past few weeks now.... its been interesting (Playing as Klingons... until this past session completely faction pure... couldnt resist putting Khan in the Reliant though)

Thinking I might try for the legit D7 squadron (3 ships) next time...

17. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    OK Vassal seems to work quite well with this if anyone wants to play online. It is a bit of hastle to use, but does not seem to be that bad.

Got the hang of most of it now I think, maybe :D

18. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I would like to try it out, but I do need a complete how to guide, to get it to work. I love the game and the universe and still pray that we will not see any prequell ships:D

19. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    OK ran through two games with a guy yesterday, so think I have a handle on it now (famous last words!)

(Another) Guide to Playing X-Wing on Vassal. - X-wing - Articles - Articles - A Few Maneuvers

is a decent guide. They have version 5 out now, so the icons have changed a bit since then. Principal is the same though.

Download the game
    Download VASSAL
    and the module files
    Module:Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game - VASSAL

can download the map files as well from 5.0.0 as they are compatible. Gives a more interesting background. You need to enable them as well, which I forget how you do. They are not needed though.

There are a couple of videos on youtube as well
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA4mzEVCxOo[/ame]

And the 4 part
    1 - [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVweTJomq7k[/ame]
    2 - [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6-fSDxzG4[/ame]
    3 - [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxdcrb2S6RY[/ame]
    4 - [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8atW0qRVL6I[/ame]

20. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Anyway just to add if anyone wants a game on vassal of this give me a PM. Or if you want to play tabletop and live in stockholm :p