1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Elf Starting Roster and tips [1 mil special rules]

Discussion in 'NAF Resurrection Tournament Tactics' started by Purgatory, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Attending a tournament in April (GothBowl 2012 for you other Swedes), and I'm going to bring Wood Elves, simply because it is the team I have all the models for all ready and painted. I'm also most familiar with the team, and even though I hardly expect to win the tournament in question, I want to at least play well enough not to embarrass myself or my elves.

The thing is, it's not a standard 1,1/1,15/1,2 mil resurrection tournament, we're using standard league rules, so 1 mil to buy the team, injuries are permanent, regular SPP progression etc. We'll be playing four swiss rounds, and after those are finished, the top 8 teams will play two four-player games of Dungeonbowl, and the two winners there will play a regular finals game.

After some thought and some tinkering, here's what I've arrived at as far as my starting roster goes:

2 Wardancers

4 Catchers

5 Lineelves

1 Re-roll

No cash, no Apoth, no FF, neither Assistant Coach nor Cheerleader

TV: 1000

So, yeah, I'm crazy, right? I've tested the roster in a few games and have been able to manage with just one re-roll. There are some nasty turn-overs that one simply has to accept, like :bothdown::skull: blocks with Linos, failing to pick up the ball etc., but overall, most of the blitzing is done by the Wardancers, and the ball-handling (i.e. hand-offs) is done by Catchers, so I'm operating on most of my rolls being ideally 35/36 deals. I've finished games with the re-roll to spare in the second half, and that's without getting any from kick-off events or similar.

The basic idea is to set up conservatively enough not to burn the re-roll in case I fail a pick-up, at least so long as I have 11 players on the pitch. On defense, the re-roll will be spent to do awesome stuff with the Wardancers, and nothing else.

All in all, I really, really don't want to go for the standard 2 WD, 1 Catcher, 8 Linos, 2 RR:s approach, I think having two extra MA8, Dodge players far oughtweighs the flexibility that the extra re-roll adds. However, any and all input is most welcome. I expect a field of happy veterans playing both competitive and fun teams, so consider it an take-on-all-comers list. :)

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I've seen coaches do well with no rerolls for Wood Elves as you have Dodge on a lot of players.

I think most would take a Treeman rather than all four Catchers and also a Thrower with Leader is pretty standard.

To be honest, as long as you have a broken Wardancer with Strip Ball I don't think what else you take really matters much!

However this is normal progression, should be easy enough to skill a Wardancer over one game to get Strip Ball. Given that injuries etc. count for good, that is even more reason to take a Treeman.

Nice to see the tournament scene in Sweden finally taking off though, good luck and let us know how it goes!

3. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I would swap a catcher for a thrower and skill him up in the first game, if possible by quick passing to a catcher and then handoff back to the thrower, just to try and get leader:powdodge:

4. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    Its a bad way to lose your only RR though.

5. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Yeah it is, and I would only do it if in safety;)

6. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    I did try a Thrower for just a single game, against Humans, and I did win, but the dice were pretty unfair. Me and my opponent agreed afterwards that having Catch, Dodge, (Sprint) is way better than Pass and +ST in this case, the 4th Dodge player seems more important overall. Sure, getting Leader after game 1 would be awesome, but I will probably focus on scoring twice with a Wardancer to get Strip Ball.

I would really love to have a Tree in the roster, partly becase I like him as a player, and partly because the Treeman model I have is painted really well by my friend and the true centerpiece of the team, so it'd be cool to show it off.

However, to fit it in, I'd have to either drop a Wardancer, the re-roll or three of my Catchers and I don't really like either option. :/ I think the least terrible one would be to actually go 0 re-rolls, 2 WDs, 4 Catchers, 4 Linos, Tree, but 0 re-rolls seems tough.

Oh, and of course, I will probably share a tournament report or something similar with you guys after it's all done. I'm afraid that the tournament will really be decided by round one for me, if I'm up against an agility team and manage to win a shootout with loads of SPP gathering and few serious injuries, I'll be fine for the rest of the tournament, but if I get paired against a bashy team (Dwarfs would probably be the worst one imaginable), I'll probably struggle a lot more. Knock on wood.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  7. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Hope for really good money the first two games ;)

8. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, I plan on winning both games, with FAMEx2 and re-rolling into 6's both times, at the very least :)

9. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Got a couple of games under the belt with the following roster and even though the lack of a re-roll hurts during the occasional :skull::skull:, I think the Tree might be worth it.

Does anyone else have any experience with 0 re-roll Woodies?

2 Wardancers

1 Treeperson

4 Catchers

4 Lineelves

No re-rolls, no Apoth, no FF, neither Assistant Coach nor Cheerleader

TV: 1000

10. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    NOPE I normaly go for 1 reroll. But I would swap a catcher for a thrower and hope for leader very fast:powdodge:

11. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I've done it, but didn't manage it that well.

Someone did mention a guy winning a tournament with 0 RR woodies, but he had a leader reroll and two sidestep wardancers, and simply used them to keep pestering the ballcarrier by marking them until they failed with something.

12. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the input yet again. It would be nice to get Leader quickly on a Thrower, however, as I stated in my earlier post, I think Dodge/Catch is a lot more useful than Pass on the squad, and MA8 is so much more awesome than MA7. Since the Thrower is slower than the Catcher, he'll have to help out with marking and getting beat up and with no skills to protect him and AV7, well...

Sorry to hear that, Dreamy.

I did playtest it against an experienced Dark Elf coach yesterday, and he played hs bona fide team to a 2-2 draw against my Wood Elves, but he completely out-CAS:ed me and if the first game is anything like that at GothCon I'll drop out early (dead Wardancer, -AV on the Treeman, lol).

We played another match where he played Orcs and had a tough time pinning down my Elves, the worst-case scenarios consisted of me making a 3+ 2+ dodge to safety with my Catchers and my Wardancers.

I won 1-0 in the end, and the Tree was amazing all day, soaking a lot of damage and more importantly, he helped me overwhelm the LOS on offense, and tied up loads of Orcs, especially the BoBs.

More improtantly, the lack of a team re-roll was of course an obstacle, but it was manageable. I rolled only a single :skull::skull: to be fair, but all of the rolls I make, aside from picking up the ball from the ground, have built-in re-rolls or are relatively safe blocks (2D blocks with Block, 3D blocks with the Tree - failure chance 1/36 and 1/27 respectively).

13. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    You dont take the thrower to get pass, you take him for the option to get leader after match 1.

Last time I did a 1 reroll WE team in TT, I managed to make six passes and five fumbles and still get 2-2. And I have to believe that you will not roll 5 times double 1 as I tend to do, no one exept my opponants need that experience:p

Pass and catch and handoff back to the thrower, its simple;)

14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Nah, it was good fun, and might be worth trying in a tournament, only I get so upset at justing needing anything other than double skulls, just to roll :skull::skull: and now having a reroll. :p

(Got dull after several games worth of it, so I started getting rerolls with them ;))

15. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    There is always the alternative, if I win 20-30k in the first game, to spend it all on Coaches and Cheerleaders, and then try to roll as many Brilliant Coaching and Cheering Fans as possible. :)

16. Darkson

Darkson Member

Cyanide Username:
    Darkson
    Country Flag:
    Couple of years ago a no reroll WE team got to the final at the Blood Bowl GT in Nottingham, narrowly losing out to a HE (iirc) team, and not helped by 3 turns of rolling a 1 on the first dice roll.

But that team had a Thrower (with Leader) and no tree.

17. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    After loads more playtesting, I decided to drop the Tree, and go for the 4 Catchers, 1 RR set-up. Plenty of Dodge helps a lot, MA8 helps a lot, and having that Re-roll handy for the important pick-up on offense and the suicide Leap into a cage or over a screen on defense seems to make a bigger difference than the Treeperson did.

18. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Good luck!

19. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I'm considering an 1100 + some skills resurrection Tourney in April in Stockholm. Probably going to do Tree, 2 WD, 2 Catchers, 2 Throwers, 4 Lino and assign Sidestep to the Dancers, Wrestle (or Block) to the Catchers and Kick to a lino.

Thoughts? Better with 4 catchers instead of 2 throwers? (Putting wrestle on a lino and grab on the tree then, I suppose)

20. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    When, exactly is this tournament? Jönköping isn't that far from Stockholm, after all, me and my friends made it there in about two hours for the Red Hot Chili Peppers last year :p

@Coach: Thanks! I'll be sure to tell the folks here how it went.