1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Elf Starting roster

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by VoidSeer, Oct 26, 2009.

1. VoidSeer

VoidSeer Member

Here is my questionable dark elf starting roster for long leagues:

• 4xBlitzers: 400k
    • 1xRunner: 80k
    • 6xLineelves: 420k
    • 2xRerolls: 100k

Roster idea:
    --
    This roster gives your team a solid backbone for the league to come.
    • 10 players with AV8 and 4 blocks. Pretty good for an elf team
    • 5 players with MV7. Not too bad either

Why no assassin or witches from the start
    --
    Witches are darn good players. But they need a solid team to back them up for them to be effective. You need a couple of guards to benefit the best from frenzy.
    These players are also very fragile with AV7.

Assassins: Well, there new to the roster. I'm not sure I can use them properly yet. I see their potential, but they're an added value to the team, not part of the core of it.

Team purchases:
    --
    APO - 3rd Reroll - 2x Witch Elves (or 1 Witch 1 assassin).

Skill progression
    --
    (this list is just for starters, to give a general idea)

Linelf:
    • 1st lineelve that skills up gets Kick.
    • simple: block - dodge - sidestep
    • double: guard

Runner
    • simple: sure hands - block - NOS - accurate
    • double: strong arm(?!)

Blitzer
    You need one dauntless to deal with ST4 players and Big Guys
    • simple: dodge - side step - tackle
    • double: mighty blow - juggernaut - guard

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    That is my preferred lineup for dark elves as well. Any reason you didn't put the team thumbnail on the thread?

3. VoidSeer

VoidSeer Member

I don't know how to do it coach. Please edit the thread.

4. BoBliness

BoBliness Member

I'd be tempted to swap out a blitzer for a second runner and upgrade a line elf to an assassin.

That would be my more 'characterful/quirky' list.

Yours is definately the more reliable and safe list :p

I like the double-dump-off and I think its a shame not to have an assassin since he provides an early-league option for shutting down gobbos, skinks, human catchers, the entire wood elf team (dancers especially), high elf catchers, all of the norse team etc etc.

Essentially, he gives you a way to bypass the requirement for tackle and block in an early league, something not many teams have.

I can see dark elves beating wood elves purely on the basis of their assassin shutting down dancers. Only breaking armour is a 40% chance (roughly) which massively outstrips the chances of taking one down unevens, even if you have block (obviously if you have wrestle and/or tackle thats a different matter, thats why I like an assassin early)

I dont think you lose too much by dropping one blitzer and the addition of a second runner adds a bit of redundancy and also lets me try the delay tactics early in a league against bashy teams.

Either way, I dont think you can go wrong with that list.

5. VoidSeer

VoidSeer Member

You're right Bob, my roster has nothing fancy to start. It is designed for the long haul.

I've been facing a rookie DE setup with one assassin with the rookie Wood Elf setup I'm using (2 dancers + 9 lineelves). I made the assassin my every-turn target until I removed him from the pitch.

Pro for the assassin, I had to focus on him which ultimately lead to a draw.
    Con, I would not get an assassin without an APO first. I does not start with block and skills slowly as it does not gain any SPP from stabbing.

6. MadBanker

MadBanker New Member

This is my favoured starting line-up for league play too.

7. BoBliness

BoBliness Member

Thats a big pro for the assassin in my book. Its very unlikely you'll kill him, and any other injury is not career-ending for him since stab is his utility (-1MA would be upsetting though lol)

And lets face it, at only a few grand more than a linesman, its no big deal really, if you can get an opponent to focus on him during games, he's been worth the money.

I'm not sure you can get enough utility out of him against bashy teams though.
    I guess I'll find out when i run the build and see how it plays :)

8. VoidSeer

VoidSeer Member

I dunno, honestly. I was a big fan of DE teams in LRB4, but haven't played with them much in LRB5. I don't really know what to do with the assassin.

Shadowing is fun, but on a AV7 player without block, the fun may be short.
    It's a good player against light teams. But against bashy teams, he's more a liability.

I'd say, if you know what team you'll be facing before making your roster, draft an assassin only if your not playing against a high AV team.

I'd much prefer a reliable AV8-block guy instead, however.

9. Agamon

Agamon New Member

You definitely need to be able to sit your assassin against bashy teams, something rookies teams don't have the luxery of doing. Depends on the other teams in the league, but all else being equal, I'd leave the assassin until at least the 13/14 player on the team.

Your lineup is good. WEs are quite fragile and tough to play on rookie teams, so good call there.

10. BoBliness

BoBliness Member

Yeah, I'm dying to try out some games with DE versus bashy just to see if its viable.

I suspect open league will be death for dark elves (as per other posts) but I'm hoping to be proven wrong!

Its a pity mighty blow doesnt work with stab :p
    Really I dont think it would be broken, you'd need a double for access to it....though it WOULD make him death against other elves I suppose.

11. Khail

Khail New Member

Country Flag:
    On the roster discussion the only 2 I'd consider are the one you listed (4 Blitz, 1 Runner, 6 Line, 2 RR) and 3 Blitz, 1 Witch, 7 Line, 2 RR.

The 4 Blitzer one is by far the most reliable. The Witch variant gives you more sideline control at the cost of block.

I think having the extra block on the table, plus having a runner for early access to Leader is easily worth waiting on the Witch.

I'm 6 weeks into a large tabletop league using the 4 blitzer lineup. Take a look at the team in my sig if you want to see how it's develped.

12. Fnord

Fnord New Member

Just my two cents for the Dark Elves...

The following rosters were proposed recently in a thread of the Spanish BBowl forum. As you can see, the spanish DE coaches love to have at least 1 Witch from the start, even if that means only 1 RR. And there are also some less conservative variants that are interesting nonetheless.

1) The conservative classic roster:

3 Blitzers
    1 Witch
    7 Linemen

1 RR 1 Medic

2) The "no-medic" alternative:

3 Blitzers
    1 Witch
    7 Linemen

2 RR

3) The "Who dares, wins." roster.

3 Blitzers
    2 Witches
    1 Runner
    5 Linemen

1 RR

4) The 4 Blitzer alternative for the above one

4 Blitzers
    1 Witch
    1 Runner
    5 Linemen

1 RR, 10,000 left in treasury for the medic, or 1 FF.

13. VoidSeer

VoidSeer Member

Ah the name of your Witch elf, Khail, brings back some old teenager memories :)

Only one reroll is pure suicide. Two is barely enough to start with, especially when introducing frenzy players without block.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  14. Fnord

Fnord New Member

True, but what can I say, the playin style in the spanish tournaments and leagues is pretty bizarre sometimes :)

As for, me, I usually go for the 3 Blitzers, 1 Witch 2RR for short leagues, 4 blitzers, 1 Runner for long term leagues.

If the league is short, I like to have one kinky lady from the beginning and skill her up in the first match if possible.

15. Joemanji

Joemanji New Member

I've just started a 12 game league with the second lineup. My plan was to skill up the Witch asap, but unfortunately she got BH on turn 3. I'm glad I took her though, I think she is a great piece and only needs Block to be amazing. I think she is better early on than later, where Tackle/MB is going to hurt. But she is the only DE player who starts with Dodge, and you need at least one. The coaches in my league don't seem to have enough respect for the sidelines, so her Frenzy is going to come in useful I think. I think 3 players with Block is pretty decent for a starting team (especially Elves).

16. Fnord

Fnord New Member

Joemanji, I totally agree with your opinion about the Witch. Being the only DE starting with dodge makes her invaluable for the team. And usually is going to be the scorer, so Block will come soon.

By the way, are you by any chance the joemanji selling in ebay? I just bought from you the 2 models of the 2nd edition elf team that I was missing. Now it's finally complete!! :)

17. Joemanji

Joemanji New Member

That's me!

18. Fnord

Fnord New Member

What a small world. :)

19. Khail

Khail New Member

Country Flag:
    Haha - I figured it was an appropriate name for a Witch Elf...

Agreed on the single Reroll issue.

The 3 Blitz/1 Witch roster is a solid way to start for sure - it's got a great toolset and should have an easy time winning early on in a league. I just prefer the consistency of 4 Blitzers and the Runner. You end up with more MV7 and more Block early on, plus early access to Leader if you get a couple of TDs on the Runner.

The other thing is if you go 3 Blitz/1 Witch you end up with one too many Linemen for your eventual roster. Which isn't a huge deal - you'll probably retire one or have one die eventually anyway, but it is another bump towards the 4 Blitz roster in my mind.

20. voyagersuk

voyagersuk Member

I love dark elves in the 3 or 4 blitzer modes but I agree with Joe that the witch is too good not to try to skill up from game one. In a similar vein to an orc coach taking all his black orcs from the start the sooner you can get a skill on her the better. i also like the assassin for the same reason with one skill - multiple block - he is a fear causing distraction. DE need this as without 4 str they can be looked at as fragile