1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Elf Starting Roster

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Meister P, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Meister P

Meister P New Member

Country Flag:
    How would you recommend starting a high elf team?

At first I tried a setup with three re-rolls which leaves you with 8 linemen, 1 blitzer, 1 thrower, 1 catcher - an ok solid but not very interesting team...
    Even though I don't like going down in re-rolls, it seems the best setup is to start with:
    2 re-rolls
    5 linemen
    1 blitzer
    2 throwers
    3 catchers

Any better ideas? :confused:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I don't like starting with Catchers as they will soon start hogging all the SPP. Also they have lower armour which is a slightly higher risk until you get an Apothecary.

I go with:
    8 Linemen
    1 Thrower
    2 Blitzers
    3 Rerolls

which comes in at exactly 1mil

3. Lamoron

Lamoron New Member

Generally though, it's hard to make High Elf an interesting team. Dark Elf can do most of what HEs do, and have some fun players to add to the mix. I'd suggest the same Lineup as Coach.

4. Funny Valentine

Funny Valentine New Member

I started my league with

6 Linemen
    2 catchers
    1 Thrower
    2 Blitzers
    2 Rerolls

As I play with my team, I need my catcher to go fast and blitz deep in his defense.

But some times, only 2 RR are hard.

After 7 games, I've lost only one catchers (with -1 Strengh) and almost of my players have 1 comp. But It's needed that you're catchers get one comp quickly to take block or dodge.

If you don't fear french, you can see my team my team .

I like High Elf for their combination of strenght/speed/armor, but they're lake of comp it's a bit complicated too :D

5. VoidSeer

VoidSeer Member

For medium to long league, I'd go the same route as Coach.
    3 rerolls are a must with high elves as they start with decent stats, but close to no skills.

For short leagues, choose another roster. The lack of skills will kill you, even if you trade the 3rd reroll for more positionals.

6. sunnyside

sunnyside Member

I'd go with coaches list as well for a longer league. Not that the catchers are bad, but you can really use the re-roll, it's cheaper up front, and the catchers are a too vulnerable addition to a team with no bench or APO, while another blitzer makes you toughter, especially since the blitzers are only 2 TDs from being blodgers.

7. JIMMYL

JIMMYL New Member

i started my league with:

1 x thrower
    2 x blitzers
    2 x catchers
    6 x linemen
    2 x rerolls

10k left over

i gave the thrower the mvp after the first game so he skilled up and took leader (theres ur 3rd reroll) and i rolled up enough to buy an apoth
    after 8 games i have bought another reroll and a 3rd catcher.
    i have the cash for the 4th catcher but am holding back for team value reasons.
    so far havnt lsot any positionals and am in good shape for the league (2nd place)

8. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    Hi All,

I've got to start a High Elf team for my league and have looked through the various builds.

I can see the advantage of not starting with catchers (Extra re-roll and spreading the SPP's around).

My one concern is that the linemen can't move the 8 spaces like a catcher. My game plan depends on getting my receiving players deep into the oppostions half.

Does losing the extra two spaces of movement cause any problems when playing the throwing game. After all my passes are going to have to be two spaces further than if I used a catcher and I have no automatic re-roll if I fail the catch.

Lastly, at the end of a game we have decided to award the 5 SPP's for each team to a player of our choice. Assuming I complete a pass and I award the SPP's to that player, which player should I skill up first?

My lineman, Blitzer or Catcher and which skill?

9. Coach

Country Flag:
    After starting the team, a Catcher is cheaper than a reroll due to the doubling in price. Also a reroll can't die, while a Catcher can.

Your Blitzers can still move 7 and score in two turns without needing a go for it. Though I would look at changing your game plan. It looks like it will lead to scoring quickly which just gives the opponents more turns to score back on you.

Also the further you move your players into their half, the further you will have to pass it, making that harder as well.

I'd skill the Blitzers up first (getting Dodge) and then skill up Linemen. Catchers and Throwers should skill up fine in normal play without needing MVPs.

Good Luck!

10. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    Hi All,

Saturday nights game will involve me, taking my High Elves to play a Chaos Dwarf team.

My High Elf spies tell me that the Chaos Dwarf starting eleven will probably be:-

4x Hobgoblins
    1x Bull Centaur
    1x Minotaur
    5x Chaos Dwarfs
    3x Re rolls.

Any tips and things to avoid?

Thanks

Lee

11. Coach

Country Flag:
    I'd try and stay out of base contact with the Dwarfs due to them having Block. You can Mark the Centaurs and the Minotaur to pin them down and take them out of the game. Careful with the Minotaur though.

Look to slow his cage down, if you can stop it forming in the first place all the better.

Go after his Hobgoblins with your Blitzers, or anyone else you have with Block. They are low armoured and his most agile.

Good Luck

12. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    Coach,

Do you mean I need to leave one of my elves in base contact with his Minotaur and Centaurs. Isn't this a bit risky as he'll have two block dice on them?

Lee

13. Coach

Country Flag:
    Well they don't have Block so are going to fail 1 every 9 times. Neither is likely to want to Dodge with it being at least a 4+.

Tying them up with a Lineman will dictate where they are going to be, as long as the player you tag them with isn't in another opponents tackle zone (which would then allow them to block the player you are tagging free).

This will force him to try and break through you using his ST players, which is going to be a lot harder, especially as they are slow. Sometimes players have to take one for the team.

It also renders his two most expensive players to being rather one dimensional. The Minotaur is a bit more of a problem as they can get 3 dice with an assist if they blitz. Coupled with the fact they have Mighty Blow as well you need to be careful. This can mean just tying him up on a turn where you really could do without them moving. Of course with Loner they are more likely to actually cause a turnover than the Centaur.

It is all about risk assessment, but certainly getting the Centaur tied up away from the action will help you a lot. Just having him block a Lineman every turn is far better than him blitzing around helping to move his cage forward.

14. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    Whats the best way to get my receivers through a defensive line?

Do I just then them through and hope they pass their dodge rolls or do I send two blitzers up first to punch a whole through?

Lee

15. Coach

Country Flag:
    If you can blitz a hole so that you don't have to do any dodges then do that.

Run some players through there and then if there is somewhere on the other side of the pitch you can dodge through on a 2+ then run one or two players through there as well so he has to spread his defence out.

If you can't easily get through then don't worry about it, chances are after he takes his first turn it will be much easier to get through as he has moved his players. That will also use an extra turn up which is bad for him.

16. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    Well I played vs the Chaos Dwarfs last night.

Score was 1-1.

Highlights were that I fouled his minotaur off the pitch at the end of the first half and my blitzer as well as scoring my TD, also sacked hobgoblin carrying the ball and killed him on his return drive after I scored.

I gave my Thrower the skill Accurate.

I have a blitzer sitting on 5SPP's other than adding Dodge another other skills I should look at for in the future? I feel as though my High Elves lack the power to take down a cage built by the tougher teams and wondered whether there was any way to develop him into some way of getting to their ball carrier?

Thanks

Lee

17. Coach

Country Flag:
    Dodge then Side Step

I wouldn't worry so much about trying to take down a cage, you want to either get to the ball carrier before it forms. Which you do with the Kick skill on a Lineman and then split him off from his team mates. Stall the cage by having a double line of players in front of it. Or just really slowing it down by getting Block + Dodge + Side Step players next to the ball carrier.

18. Benzor

Benzor New Member

I say go with Leap, it should help you open up cages and makes getting to the ballcarrier a LOT easier.

Leap + strip ball/tackle is very, VERY annoying on an AG 4+ player, I know, I regularly play against a Wardancer with AG 5 and strip ball... I really, truly hate that player.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  19. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    Hi All,

In the league we play, we pick which players we want to awward the 5 SPP to at the end of the match.

This leaves me with a question. I can either give it to my Blitzer to level up or my lineman to level up. Would it make more sense to give my lineman kick or my blitzer dodge?

Lee

20. Marlow

Marlow Member

That is a great system for Elven teams. I usually level up Linesmen since they get fewer TD/Casualties.