1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Elf Sturmwald Sinners - Returning to the OCC

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Gallows Bait, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Following on from my recent return to the world of Bloodbowl and getting my feet wet again by joining BBT's very own Big Crunch 2, I've decided to re-enter another eternal league by joining Orca Cola once more.

Whilst I've been amply feeding my addiction to disappointment, this time in the guise of coaching the humans of the Sturmwald Strongholds 2.0 (Currently a better than expected 3-4 record in the Lustria division, propped up by Nuffle-assisted beatings of replacement Gobbos - replacement coaches you do a sterling job for the league), it is once again also time to through more fuel onto the fire by coaching an AG4 team that has never once gone well for me, yes, it's Dark Elf time!

And thus, the recruitment posters went up, various dives and haunts were scoured and eventually the starting roster for the Sturmwald Sinners was assembled (Uniquely original name, I know, I don't know where I get them from either).

I've gone for a slightly pedestrian and cautious starting roster, with 4 Blitzers and 7 Lineman, leaving me enough funds for 2 Re-rolls and 10k to go towards an apothecary.

Nuffle, ever capricious, aided and abetted by the master of divisions Pidpad, has thrown me into Tier 6 Division G. Here's the line up for this season:

Tier 6 6G
    • [​IMG] FalconMerc - Team Rainbow 6 - Chaos Dwarf - -
    • [​IMG] ikis - Disco Cziis - Lizardman - -
    • [​IMG] Gallows Bait - Sturmwald Sinners - Dark Elf - -
    • [​IMG] Ernedar - Malinovka Red Scooters - Orc - -
    • [​IMG] Mawilarata - Are we dancers? - Human - -
    • [​IMG] Kilgannon - Orclahoma Thunder - Orc - -
    • [​IMG] rideinorange - Sidra Asgaya - Dwarf - -
    • [​IMG] Dbcapo - Los Quebrachos - Wood Elf - -
    • [​IMG] Lady Link - Cake or Death ? - Undead - -
    • [​IMG] McMichi - Full Stampede - Chaos Dwarf - -

Yes, my Elves get to face a whole lot of ST4, AV9, Block and Tackle in their rookie season. But first up...

Week 1 - Dbcapo and Los Quebrachos.

This rookie Wood Elf team will likely be as nervous as me in this division. The team roster has 2 Wardancers, 1 Thrower and 8 Linemen, with a similar 2 Re-roll and 10k left over build.

My plan is to play slowly and carefully. There are no real prizes for winning in Tier 6, everyone is likely to get promoted and coming out at the top of the table will likely mean a double promotion to Tier 4... and I've felt that pain before (RIP Circus of the Damned). Having opted not to take a Runner, I want my Blitzers to do the heavy lifting being both my best chance of bashing and hopefully scoring some TDs but not at the cost of getting into a brawl without an apothecary.

Of course, if the opportunity to put the boot into a Wardancer comes up, that's also a good tactic, assuming AV8 holds up enough for me to risk being down on numbers from the inevitable send off.

I'll keep you all posted as to how it turns out.

Supa likes this.
  2. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Well well, this match was a surprise, but not for good reasons I can practically give a blow-by-blow report here, because the game only lasted until Turn 5! :confused:

The match started conventionally enough, my opponent won the toss and opted to receive. I set up in the usual 3-4-4 chevron defense to keep the pitch covered. My opponent put 5 Lineman up against my 3 on the Line of Scrimmage and kept the Wardancers on the wings, though further back than I expected, with the Thrower in the rear. So far so normal. I gained a re-roll on the kick (especially welcome with only 2 right now) and the ball landed at the feet of the thrower (well you can't have everything).

My opponent started off with a head-scratching 1 die block on the LoS, but otherwise had no trouble pushing back my line (knocking one down), agressively basing with his linemen following up. Unexpectedly he use a lineman assist and a Wardancer blitz on my Blitzer on the right flank, knocking him down, but did not follow up, dodge or leap through the gap, instead just pushing some players forward just a couple of squares into the half on my extreme right. His thrower scooped up the ball but held back.

My first turn saw me responding to his agressive positioning with a few re-positioned players to give me a few 2-dice blocks, eager to try and benefit from his fragility, but without success. Otherwise I simply held my line waiting to see what he would do.

On turn 2, my opponent clearly wanted to get things moving. He blitzed through with a Wardancer on my left near the LoS, an area I realised I'd left too open in my eagerness to block. The Wardancer took advantage and ran deep into my half, a clear receiving threat that I knew I'd have to double mark next turn, or worse, might yet be reinforced by lineman through the gap. To my surprise, my opponent clearly had a lot of faith in the Block & Dodge starting skills of the Wardancer and decided to make the throw right there and then. The Thrower moved forward and... failed. Fumble automatically re-rolled by Pass skill to Inaccurate and the ball scattered away ending the turn.

I responded by marking both the Wardancer, the ball and pretty much everything else before running back with a Lineman to pick up the ball, I was successful and ended the turn with a sparse screen but what felt like a good shot at holding onto the ball.

On turn 3, my opponent managed to take the long way around and mark my ball carrier (damn those fast linemen!), clearly the plan was to blitz down the carrier from the sideline. But a two-dice block on the LoS against one of my Blitzers came up Both Down/Skulls re-rolled to Both Down/Push... and he clicked on the Both Down, ending his turn. In response I wasted no time in surfing the lineman marker into the crowd and advancing the ball, forming a screen around the half-way line and blocking down as many Wood Elves within range as possible.

On turn 4, my opponent responded with... nothing. Not a thing, just ended turn. I figured he knows he can't stop me scoring and maybe doesn't want to risk injured players before his next drive.. fair enough but given the temptation of fouling AV7 targets.. very risky. So I played it safe and advanced, intending to hand off to a blitzer safely behind the screen before the TD, so I had plenty of time to manage that and maybe even stall to score at half time and control the pace of the game with me receiving in the second half as well.

On turn 5.. my opponent conceded the match.

So right now this one is in the hands of the OCC Tier 6 admin team to investigate and they'll assign the final score/winnings/SPP. Overall I'm disappointed. I've built up the expectation and anticipation of returning to OCC and I had a real shot at hopefully earning some good SPP against the only team in the division less bashy than mine. I wouldn't even have minded a fast paced end to end score-fest as my focus is on building the team, not on winning, and now I have no control over how many SPP are earned or where they'll be assigned. :(

3. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Hi Gallows, good to read some reports beside my own.

I stopped playing in OCC about the same time as I stopped playing Big Crunch, so it is a few years ago, but it surprises me that stuff like this is happening.
    I hope it is not common in OCC nowadays, and given that the admin are long time OCC players I hope that whatever they'll decide they will punish the woodies behaviour.
    I can't stand concessions, I never concede, and I've often finished games with few players on the pitch, if none at all, but conceding is not an option. Never.
    It strips away the fun and leaves the other coach with a bitter aftertaste. Why is it so difficult for someone to understand that if you want your fun when you are winning then you must allow others to have theirs when things roll in their favour?
    It sounds to me like someone used to play just CCL ...

Anyway, I'm glad you decided to embrace the elves way, I will probably sport darkies myself in the next Big Crunch if I'll be called in to participate.
    Il be watching how you'll develop your team, maybe you'll give me some ideas ...

4. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the feedback @Silfuin . I don't think this is typical for OCC, but there have been a large number of new players coming in, the bottom tier, Tier 6 where I am, has expanded to 9 divisions, that's 90 players in the tier alone. So it does feel likely that a few will be weeded out for being unable to get their heads around proper league play.

I suspect OCC has also benefited from AndyDavo (consecutive champion for two seasons) being one of the bigger streamers for blood bowl.

5. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    So the next match is all set for Friday night. Another (relatively) non-bashy week if I am lucky.

MD2 - Mawilarata and Are we dancers?

So, first thing is first, with my opponent conceding (and seemlingly gone from OCC) I was awarded a 2-0 result by the OCC admins. That meant a grand total of 11 SPP dished out.. not great compared to my plan but fair enough. The two TD equivalent 3 SPP went to a blitzer and a lineman and the 5 SPP MVP went to another lineman, so no skill ups there. My winnings were a paltry 20k, so no chance of an apothecary either. Not good.

But, my opponent appears to have had a a mediocre game last week and got a draw, so his Humans have no skill ups either, with one lineman earning 2 SPP for a casualty, the thrower 1 SPP for a pass and the MVP going to a Blitzer, no touchdowns appear to have been scored. His roster is a rather standard Human starting line up, with the Ogre, all four Blitzers, one Thrower and one Catcher and 3 Re-rolls. Crucially, somehow his Ogre ended up injured last week and is MNG for our match, meaning I don't have to face ST5 Mighty Blow on the opposing LoS. He has cash in hand for an Apothecary and will get a Journeyman Lineman. If he takes the Apothecary he will reach 960 TV against my 990 TV so no inducements to worry about in this game.

my plan remains unchanged, slow and steady progress focusing on development more than wins. If I can I'll block, especially as I only have the two re-rolls, but with no speed, skill or AV disparity this could be a close match unless one side takes early casualties.

6. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    Vanity pass the 5/6 lino, score on the 3/6 blitzer. Stay alive!

Early Humans not a great match up for DE, but no Ogre is nice. Good luck!

Gallows Bait likes this.
  7. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    So this turned out to be a tough but very bizarre match. My opponent did not spend out for the apothecary as I expected, something I suspect in hindsight he regrets. Instead he used the TV difference to induce Bloodweiser Babes.

I won the coin toss and elected to start in defence, which I usually do unless I have a bench as you will at least start with a full 11 on the pitch. Both of us started cautiously with the human team caging the ball and my elves forming columns, blocking was limited, mainly blitzing around the edges.

What ended the stalemate came down to whose armour broke first. Luckily it was his. It began with a block in his journeyman lineman that killed him outright and bringing my 3spp blitzer up to 5spp.

After this I began to have more of the luck, eventually whittling down the Humans by KO'ing 4 more players - his ball carrying thrower included as well as his catcher who was forced to try and run away with the ball to delay me from stealing and making the defensive touchdown and I then surfed on turn 8.

The ball came back from the crowd close enough to be picked up by one of my linemen and I managed to pass to the one blitzer I had in scoring range, who was marked. Sadly it cost me a re-roll to make the catch, as a result I failed the 2+ dodge in my attempt to score and the half ended 0-0.

For the second half only two of his KO'd players came back and I felt comfortable enough to try and skill up my now 5spp blitzer with a vanity pass, which failed the 2+ two turns in a row.

That was the beginning of things starting to go wrong. My opponent blocked down my 3spp lineman, killing him and allowing others through my screen making several GFIs to get multiple players in range of my still grounded ball. He got greedy though and attempted a 1 die block with no re-roll on my 5spp lineman, with a blitzer. It came up skull and killed his poor blitzer outright, so at least my lineman skilled up from the 2spp as a result.

I switched directions to get away from the crowded brawl that was emerging, attempting to screen on the opposite flank. I was too eager and my opponent was able to use GFIs to mark my ball carrier blitzer.
    Not to worry I thought, I'll just move in an assist and blitz free and score. I was eager to try for a defensive TD in the remaining time and get the needed spp for some skills. But the dice did not cooperate. Double both down on the Blitz left me wondering whether to re-roll or just dodge free regardless. I figured I only needed a push and that was better than the dodge I thought. But the re-roll came up double skulls.

So the rest of the half was a scramble to retrieve the ball before finally scoring in turn 16, but not with the blitzer I wanted.

Final score was 1-0 and deathtoll 1-2. My lineman was the only skill up for a normal skill, but finally I have enough cash for the apothecary.