1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Styx: Master of Shadows

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Werebat, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Not sure if I've mentioned this Cyanide developed title before, but since I actually started playing it I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I know most of you have limited game time, but if you're even a little interested, this one is well worth your time. Gameplay is pretty solid, and the story, music, and atmosphere are good too. So far every level has given a handful of optional objectives other than the main one, as well as the ability to earn bonus xp for alternate methods (never being seen, refraining from killing anyone, etc.)

Styx's power set is expanded from the usual goblin stealth due to his ingestion of a magical substance called Amber. This stuff grants him a few supernatural tricks, such as enhanced vision, the ability to turn invisible for a short time, and the ability to puke up a clone of himself that he can control until it dies from its apparent physiological instability. All of these abilities (as well as the more mundane stealth and murder ones) can be enhanced by spending xp on training in a sewer hideout that you find fairly early on.

I know I'm partial to sneaky backstabbing goblins with mutant powers derived from drinking addictive magical concoctions, but I think any of us might find Styx to be a compelling character.

You wouldn't know it, but chairs appear to be the bane of a goblin's existence. I cringe every time I'm sneaking around under a table and accidentally kick one of the damned things. :D

Here's a review:

Review: Styx: Master of Shadows | Hardcore Gamer

And a trailer:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyjVXu1ntfk[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Looks nice and after completing thief I lack a sneaky bastard game:powdodge:

3. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Ill just point out I have 4 videos of me playing this game on my channel. I discontinued recording it due to feeling that it just wasn't interesting to watch.

My opinions on it are that the game is fairly fun, the setting is nice and the fact you play as a Goblin pretty much wins it over on me.

But the AI is terrible. I instantly put the game on the highest difficulty and I can still lose people by just going round 2 corners.

At least you instantly die from I assume the difficulty (If you instant die on lower difficulties as well then I fail to see what difference the difficulty could make)

4. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    What I hear is that Cyanide is still having trouble making an AI worth anything:D

5. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Hm. I'm on the normal difficulty and still finding it fun. Then again I've recently gotten a lot better at parrying, and figured out how to make distracting noises (which is important).

My main complaint at this time is that you need to gather ALL of the coins in a level to get the "thief" bonus, and there is no partial bonus for gathering half of them, 90% of them, etc. It's gotten to the point where I just ignore the coins altogether because I know I'm not going to go crazy about finding that last one that's hidden in some really obscure place.

I do make it a point to find the relics, though. Just wish they'd included some kind of partial bonus for the coins, which would give you a reason to pick them up if you weren't trying to get ALL of them. I feel like someone must have already made a patch for this somewhere.