1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggest Other Warhammer games

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManBearPig, May 4, 2016.

1. ManBearPig

ManBearPig Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    ManBearPig
    Country Flag:
    So I have been playing games for a long time, but somehow never looked into the Warhammer games until I started playing BB2. I knew they existed, but I think I was a snob back then and considered them a Warcraft knock-off, and I loved the old Warcraft games.

Now that I have been playing BB I have been reading into some of the Warhammer lore etc, and I am interested in this universe more than I thought I would be. I want to play some other Warhammer games. Steam is having a sale on the older Dawn of War RTS games, but I don't know which ones I should get. There are so many different options. Should I skip Dawn of War 1, and go to Dawn II?

Any other suggestions on good Warhammer games for a noob to the universe are appreciated.

2. Regor

Regor Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I played warhammer fantasty miniatures for 5 years, so i love warhammer lore.
    As a big fan of total war, im really anxious to see Warhammer total war :D but only will be realeased in end of May.

I played dawn of war 1, and dawn of war 2, i recomend u to play all the games, i enjoyed at the time. They announce dawn of war 3 :D

I recommend to Mordheim city of damned, turn based, and sometimes go on sale in steam. So far only 4 teams, but with time i seems to be a good game to have a break for blood bowl, pvp so far is very little developed.

Warhammer vermintide is like a left for dead, but i didn't played so i can't help.

3. ManBearPig

Cyanide Username:
    ManBearPig
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Regor. Everyone I talk to keeps saying "just play them all." I am interested in the Warhammer total war as well. I loved the Total war games. There are a lot of different "versions" of the Dawn of War games on steam. I don't know the difference really. Unless they are all separate games...

4. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    Dawn of War II, for example, has one expansion (Chaos Rising) and one Standalone-Expansion (Retribution).
    It is squad based, you can skill up, equip, but don't build base. You can play a cooperative 2 player campaign which is nice.

Dawn of War I is more 'classical' RTS (roughly like Star Craft), and has lots of expansions with more campaigns and more races.

5. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Uhh this takes me back in time. You need to find Chaos Gate https://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_chaos_gate be aware that it can not run on win10. As I recall it only works up to Win7. But that is a classic game and I still take it out of the shelve to play it once every two years or so.

Also look into Space Hulk - very nice versions on Steam and often on sale.

Another oldie but goldie is https://www.gog.com/game/final_liberation_warhammer_epic_40000

Man Im old...

There is also this one https://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_rites_of_war
    Though that is a fairly simple game and does not take long to complete

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    ManBearPig likes this.
  6. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    *chuckles a little* Man, I cringe any time I see people say or think that Warhammer is a rip-off of Warcraft or Starcraft. XD Hopefully you have as you have read about the Warhammer games, and Warhammer lores, realized that it is actually the other way around. XD

Also, sorry in advance... it became a very long post. XD

With the Dawn of War gamers, it is as they have said, play them all (atleast if you like these kinds of games). Since, again as others have said, Dow 1 and DoW 2 are not really the same kinds of games. DoW 1 being the traditional base building, big scale war, pure RTS kind of game. And DoW 2 more being more of a hybrid, a sort of RTS/tactical roleplaying-lite/semi story driven kind of a hybrid game, with smaller units lead by a squad leaders with a personality (1 Tactical Squad, 1 Scout Squad, 1 Devestator Squad, 1 Assault Squad, and a Dreadnought), which are all lead by a main leader.

Personally I liked DoW 2 more, but that is probably mostly because I am mainly an RPG kind of a gamer, I love that whole aspect of gaming. I did play DoW 1, and I did really like it, but DoW 2 was the clear winner for me. Also, another reason I prefered DoW 2 over 1 is that I felt that DoW 2 compleatly did the Space Marines a whole lot more justice then DoW 1. My biggest problem with DoW 1 was that it felt like I was churning out thousands of Space Marines, and by the end of the whole Space Marine campaign, and what not, I would not be surpriced if my deaths amongst my SM's where long past 2000 of them... which... is wrong... compleatly wrong, in my mind atleast (*was a Blood Angels player on the tabletop, and a general Space Marine fan*). Because Space Marines are Space Marines, and one single Chapter only consists of a max of 2000 Space Marines (unless they don't compleatly follow the Codex Astartes rules). So with DoW 2 I felt that they made a better job showing you exacly what a small group of determined Space Marines would actually be capable of.

But, many who did not like DoW 2 did so due to the fact that it was not a "proper" RTS game, and I can understand them feeling that way. I am just the kind of a gamer who appretiated what DoW 2 gave me much more then DoW 1 did. For one I have replayed DoW 2, which I never really did with DoW 1. But again that's more due to that RTS games can only hold me so long, usually till the end of the campaigns, but never further then that really, partly since I don't play multiplayer in games like that... or in most kinds of games at all for that matter (I am almost compleatly a singleplayer kind of a gamer). So what made me go back and play DoW 2 again was thanks to the RPG-lite aspect of it, and that it felt more story driven, etc... actually, I have been for some time now considering playing DoW 2 again, and even more so now that DoW 3 has been announced. DoW 3 which I do have a feeling will be more like DoW 1, hopefully some aspect of DoW 2 still survived though... but I am not holding my breath on that. Since I feel that there are more RTS people out there who would want DoW 3 to be more like DoW 1, then the amount of RTS people out there who would want it to be like DoW 2. I will still play DoW 3 when it comes out though.

Hmm... the DoW talk became longer then I intended... specially since others have already talked about it... XD Will end withthis though, if you decide to get DoW 1 and/or 2, check if there is something like a "compleat edition" or something like that, where you might be able to get all of the expansions for them, or even a full edition where you get everything for both games. You will usually save some money on that, especially if it is on sale or something at the time. I would not be surpriced if we will be starting to see sales on both DoW 1 and 2 in the coming months, just due to the fact that DoW 3 is on it's way.

Anyway... Someone already mentioned Mordheim, and I would like to throw my hat onto that one as well. I have played it for a fair amount of time, and I have liked what I have seen (not finished it yet, but that's mostly due to the kind of gamer I am, I jump around a lot between games, and sometimes I forget about one for a bit long due to other new games coming out etc... XD ). Total War: Warhammer as someone mentioned does look interesting as well, another game I will check out when it comes out in about 20 days (24th of May). Chaos Gate was mentioned, another game I remember enjoying back in the day. Remembering liking the old Space Hulk game as well.

Speaking of Total War: Warhammer. There where a few old RTS like, or called RTT's actually, kinds of Warhammer Fantasy games in the past as well. The first one, from 1995 was called "Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat", and I remember liking it a lot. It was followed up in 98 by "Warhammer: Dark Omen", which I do think I liked as well. And then in 2006 there came another game with a simmilar style (I think simmilar style atleast, don't remember compleatly) called "Warhammer: Mark of Chaos", which in 2008 also got an expansion called Battle March... I do seem to recall that I like the game. I have no idea if the two from the 90's are available on steam or GoG or something, and if they are even playable on Windows 7... or 10 for that matter (I have not upgraded to 10 yet... sticking with 7 for now, just like I did with XP up untill the point where I was forced to switch to 7... XCOM: Enemy Unknown came out, and it did not support XP... XD ). I do belive that all of these games, atleast the two old ones, have you manage your units, where you can lose soldiers in the unit, which you have to replace by buying new ones. And the better the unit is, the higher the cost there was in buying a new soldier for the unit. So in atleast the two old ones there was a management thing going on as well. So you had to be careful with your units and not just thrown them in there without proper tactics and support from other units, because it could be very expensive to replenish the units you lost. Not sure what happend to a unit if all of the soldiers in it died though, if you loset them compleatly, or could replenish it's units anyway after the battle.

There is also a 3rd person shooter game out there called: "Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine". It did seem to have been received somewhat well, many people did seem to like it. But I can not speak for if it is actually good or not, since I have not played it. My computer at the time could not handle it, and since I got my new computer a bit over 6 months ago I have not checked it out yet, since I had compleatly forgoten about it. I might try it eventually though, unless I once again forget about it. XD

And finally... the last game I will suggest is: "Battlefleet Gothic: Armada". It came out barely 2 weeks ago. In it you controle a fleet of Imperial space ships in a RTS-like kind of a thing. No basebuilding or anything, but you add new ships over time (as you "level up" and open up slots etc), and you upgrade them as well (as they become more experienced), etc, as you go along in the game. You have to defend the Gothic space sector from attacks of different natures and enemies, be they Orks, Eldars, or what seems to be the main enemy Chaos (not compleatly sure yet if they are or not). The combat is on a 2D plane, just like the original tabletop version of the game "Battlefleet Gothic", so things like elevation or what not is not taken into account. It is actually a benefit to the game that it is on a 2D plane, both because it means that the game can focus on other things a bit more, you can focus easier on what is going on not having to think in a 3D space kind of a thing, and because it makes it somewhat unique amongst many space rts-like games out there (the old Homeworld games for example). Also, if you lose a battle it does not mean game over (not as far as I have encountered atleast)... your just slightly worse off in the situation as you are trying to protect the Gothic sector from the coming major attack. The more battles and missions you win/succed with, the better of you will be in the end. Lose a lot of battles/missions, and lose controle over a lot of systems, and things will be more difficult for you later down the road. I have played it a fair amount of time, and I have really liked it so far. :)

One game I am hoping we will get is one based on the Necromunda tabletop game. That would be awesome. :)

But, the main thing I would have liked to be able to add here, a Warhammer 40000/Fantasy game I would have LOVED to be able to say that we had... would have been a proper roleplaying game based in any of the Warhammer universes. But unfortunatly nobody has as of yet, as far as I know, made real proper roleplaying games for computer/consoles. We have several games which are sort of RPG-lite kinds of games... Blood Bowl, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Dawn of War 2, Chaos Gate, Shadows of the Horned Rat, Dark Omen, and maybe Mark of Chaos as well, not sure about the Space Marine one, and maybe a few others. But as I said, they are at best RPG-lite in most cases. We have not goten any games like Dragon Age, or Fallout (old or new), or Balder's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, Skyrim, etc, kinds of RPG games. These are the Warhammer games I would love the most to get, but so far there has been none... which I feel is a great shame, because the lore of both the 40K and Fantasy versions of the games are awesome, so much that could be done in them.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    ManBearPig and Regor like this.
  7. ManBearPig

Cyanide Username:
    ManBearPig
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the replies. I have downloaded the complete Dawn of War 1 with expansions, and will start there. I will be revisiting this post in the not so distant future to look at some of these others, and where to go next.

8. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    Blood Bowl Chaos Edition.

No.

Gets coat.

9. ManBearPig

Cyanide Username:
    ManBearPig
    Country Flag:
    Oh no.... No more Blood Bowl... The wife already says on a regular basis how she can't wait until I get tired of this game. Unfortunately for her I really like BB2, and I don't think I will be going anywhere. Now if only I could get good at it :rolleyes:

10. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    GallowsBait became reasonably good in BB in only one or two sets of 500 matches or so.

11. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Blood bowl will never leave your system, all though taking a hiatus from it is perfectly normal. I never played a single game of BB during LRB4 rules. Try to play table top and you are hooked really bad for life.

12. mamutas

mamutas Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    You meant like this game: http://www.warhammeronline.com/?
    It was a good attempt but fail somewhat short to deliver, although I had enjoyed its PvP battles back in time.

Also really interested in "Battlefleet Gothic: Armada", just waiting for right time to get it.

13. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    Technically yes... I was in the beta of the game for the last 9 months befor it was released, so I did get to play it atleast. Could not afford it once it came out... but also, at that time, I was pretty much done with mmo's in general, WAR was the second to last mmo befor I eventually dropped them completly. Played my self sick on mmo's during roughly a 5 year period, where the majority of it was City of Heroes, which was THE mmo for me.

But... as I said... "Technically yes"... I have never considered mmo's to be "proper" computer rpg's, due to one pretty big fact... they are not singleplayer games... yes you can play singleplayer in them sort of, by playing by your self (and atleast half, if not more, of all my time spend in mmo's where spent playing solo )... but ultimatly mmo's are multiplayer kinds of games, even the PvE geared ones... where everything with them are geared towards being an mmo. Which means that there is content in those games which you can not tackle by your self. They are just not anywhere close to being the kind of rpg I am looking for when it comes to Warhammer based games. The mmo I have tried which was the closest to feeling like a normal singleplayer game was Star Wars: The Old Republic... I tried it once it became partly free to play... but I did not feel like paying a subscription for it (even though I liked it), and I could not really afford it either. That is when I finally compleatly dropped playing mmo's. Something spectacular from my point of view would have to hit the market for me to even consider getting back into mmo's.

So yeah, I am still waiting for a proper computer rpg that is based on Warhammer... be it 40000 or Fantasy... either way I would be happy to get one.

14. Goatee

Goatee Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Goatee
    Country Flag:
    This, this, this & this!