1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vampire Taking care of the thralls

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Stryke, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Stryke

Stryke Member

Country Flag:
    Been attempting to totally grok the vampire team now LE is out and while the vamps go where ever they like with impunity it's the thralls that are giving me issues. Every time before I've played with av 7 they've either been able to dodge away easy (wood elves) or have defensive skills ('zons/norse) to help keep them on the pitch but with thralls I've been having trouble with keeping them alive, let alone with the vamps biting them as well.

So is it best if they're in a tackle zone and everything has been done that's important in the turn is it worth to try dodging them away? It probably does depend what they're next to, but with 1/3 chance of taking that paper thin armour roll dodging ends up annoyingly often with them off the pitch and the opposing player free to do whatever he likes.

Also when is it best to use a RR on the bloodlust? I've mainly been letting the bloodlust go off so I've got the RR spare in case that important dodge or hypnotic gaze fails and I've been fine getting a thrall in place so it doesn't hurt to bad and the action completes anyway. But playing that way is putting just a bigger dent in my thrall numbers as the opponent is and that's with only 4 vamps on the pitch, as 6 is for crazy people.

The last thing I'm wondering is whether it's worth having a 5th vamp and purely using him as thrall support on the line of scrimmage who doesn't usually get activated, a guard/block/stand firm build maybe?

I'm not doing to badly with them W2D5L2 and things are going better now that I've actually built up a reasonable bench (the agi 5 vamp helps to :D ) but the games I've struggled are the ones where the thralls have been carried off in droves and while vamps are fantastic they can't win when they're the only players left on the pitch.

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Are you using Hypnotic Gaze to free them up to be able to move? You can also blitz them free and should be moving team mates to get two dice blocks with ones that can possible do that. You should also be careful when you decide to follow up or not.

If you have a reroll left and it is getting late in a turn then start dodging them out, especially if against Mighty Blow. Make sure you are supporting your Thralls with your Vampires and not just using them to protect the ball. I like to run the ball with a Thrall and hand it off to a Vampire if things get difficult. That keeps the Vampires outside the cage where they can be more effective. Against some teams though using a Vampire to carry may be needed, depends on the skills everyone has.

I think it is something that really comes from practice and experience more than anything though. Try and identify the situations that are causing the most problems for you and think about how to best deal with it.

3. Stryke

Stryke Member

Country Flag:
    That's an interesting thought as I've been always using a vamp to run the ball and then using the agi 4 to shift it if I'm getting held up on one side of the pitch. Though I can see with using a thrall to do it you've got more opportunities to run interference with the vamps. You don't list making one a ballcarrier in the player section. Do you reckon it's worth picking up sure hands on one just for running the ball?

4. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I've not listed one cause I don't do that, it encourages you to keep using that same player to always pick it up.

I tend to pick it up with someone who either could do with scoring or to do a completion to get the SPP. As this usually won't be the same player every game having Sure Hands on them all isn't practical.

I may get one for when playing against Leap + Strip Ball teams, though you (if you take my advice) have 5 rerolls and against a lot of teams you can afford to fail the first pick up attempt without using one. If the pick up is crucial then I may elect to use a Vampire due to their higher agility. So without a specific ball carrier on the team I find it hard to fit Sure Hands in and the team could do with all the Block or Wrestle you can get anyway.

So to sum up against certain teams it can be useful to have Sure Hands on the team, be careful to not let that player hog all the SPP.

If you do take it then I think perhaps it may be better on a Vampire anyway. The teams likely to be leaping into a cage are lower strength ones, so you don't miss the Vampire on the outside as much. Being strength four as the ball carrier it makes hitting him after leaping in troublesome. Sure Hands on a Vampire is much more effective on defence as well for picking a loose ball in a tackle zone up and then also dodging away with it afterwards. Those situations it is harder to get the ball safe, so if you are open to being hit, it is better to be holding it with a ST4, Block + Dodge + Sure Hands player than a Thrall. It can take a while to get three skills though...