1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Team Blog] Stayin' alive

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by SorroW, Sep 18, 2011.

1. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Stayin' alive.
    Ah, ha, ha, ha,
    ---------------------------------------------
    Edit: Thought I should try to keep an up to date version of the team in the first post so here it is:
    Commedia dell'Arte
    The world is a stage - and we are all actors.

The team so far:

1) Arlecchino, Blitzer, lvl 3 Dodge, Tackle
    2) Pantalone, Blitzer, lvl 5 Mighty Blow, Piling on, Dodge, Tackle
    3) Innamorati, Catcher lvl 4 Dodge, Dump-Off, Wrestle
    4) Tartaglia, Catcher, lvl 4 Dodge, Wrestle, Strip Ball
    5) Il Somardino, Catcher, lvl 3 Dodge, Wrestle
    6) Young Pedrolino, Catcher, lvl 3 +1AG,Dodge MNG and -1 MA Will kick him, if I keep the team at all..
    7) Il Capitano, Thrower, lvl 3 Accurate, Strong-Arm, -1 AV
    8) Rosaura, Lineelf
    9) Punchinello , Lineelf
    10) Scaramuccia, Lineelf, lvl 3 Dodge, Block
    11) Sgorghiguelo, Lineelf, lvl 2 Dodge
    15) Brighella, Lineelf, lvl 3 Kick, Dodge
    16) Slapstick, Thrower
    Have a miracleworker (apothecary) and 4 rerolls. No cheerleaders or Assistant Coaches.

Graveyard and Retirements:

8) La Signora, Lineelf, lvl 2 Dodge MNG, -1AV Retired
    11) Sandrone, * * Lineelf, lvl 2 Dodge Dead
    12) Pulcinella, Lineelf, lvl 2 Guard -1AG, -1AV Retired
    13) Pedrolino, Lineelf Dead
    13) Scapin, Lineelf Retired to try to keep the TV abit in check...
    Now back to the first post!
    /S

--------------------------------------

Or something like it. Thats the plan. The goal. And the hope. Winning a match or two in the progress would make this season an immense success.

The following ramblings will be to record my elf teams progress and progression in the CC VI division 1. Yes, most likely it will be full of gore stuff, and have loads of loners as the stars in the future. And no, it will most likely be hard to read and even harder to follow :p.

Without further ado I hereby let the spotlight fall on the:

Commedia dell'Arte
    The world is a stage - and we are all actors.

The team so far:

1) Arlecchino, Blitzer, lvl 2 Dodge
    2) Pantalone, Blitzer, lvl 3 Mighty Blow, Piling on
    3) Innamorati, Catcher lvl 3 Dodge, Dump-Off
    4) Tartaglia, Catcher
    7) Il Capitano, Thrower, lvl 2 Accurate
    8) La Signora, Lineelf
    10) Scaramuccia, Lineelf
    11) Sandrone, Lineelf
    12) Pulcinella, Lineelf, lvl 2 Guard
    13) Pedrolino, Lineelf
    14) Colombina, Lineelf, lvl 1 but have a -1MA
    15) Brighella, Lineelf

Have a miracleworker (apothecary) and 4 rerolls. No cheerleaders or Assistant Coaches.

No stats, but have had 4 doubles on skills, which I haven't used to make the most out of, but I htink I have chosen some fun skills. Really enjoys MBPO on a blitzer, but he really need dodge aswell, so here is hoping he survives long enough.

I usually try to play it safe with the ball, and then throw the long pass to a catcher and score. But now with dump-off it opens up more possibilities with a loose screening and multiple catchers to throw to. So will try out that aswell.

I only have one skilled lineelf, which is really bad, I try to score with them if able, and also throw some Comps as soon as I get a MVP on them, but it has been "lucky" on the MVP's and most going to blitzers and catchers. Oh well. Next lvl up will get kick. I hope.

NEXT OPPONENT: Vampires. In the guise of Snottie's The Squishy Gimps. Looks like an Elfballing vampire team, with loads of dodge and wrestle. But that makes me catious, do they really want to play ball? or is it just a ruse to get us to lower our guard and then kill us! Might wanna watch Buffy all week to get into the mood of things..

SOON (tm): Orcs of DOOOOOM. Or well... Etheric's Da Ead Smashas. And I must say that I have no idea what to do... I have 500K in inducement.. And over a week to worry about it...

/SorroW, who would love input and advice :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Anti-orc inducements:
    One wizard (150), to loosen the ball if you have players in place to possibly make the turnover into a score in one turn. (Or if they have been stalling and you can prevent the score completely)

One lineman with kick (140), if you don't have any of your own. If you have a kick lineman by then, you can take Eldril Sidewinder(200) to open up screens (if he's caging instead of screening, fireball first and let Eldril gaze any remaining obstacle ;))

All three above is 490, and is one way to go.

Else, if you have no kicker, take wizard, kicker, 2 babes and an apo.

Or if you have a kicker, take wizard, eldril, babe and apo.

-

Just some thoughts.

Wizards are useful. Extra bodies are useful when you are flimsy. Kick is useful against orcs. (Perhaps less so against experienced orcs). Eldril is a more fragile vampire, but can open up options if you are lucky.

3. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Jordel Freshbreeze is another option if you want to try out some ag5 wardancer fun, I have quite a lot of guard though so edril is probably a better option.

In general I agree with Nikoli though

Those are both solid choices. Note my thrower got MNG so your inducement calculation might be a bit off now. Just trying to decide whether to get another lineman or not. Probably will not and go with 12 players as hopefully av 9 is more like av 9 next match, will decide after your next game when I know what I will be facing.

Of course you could always take 2 babes, 2 apo and wizard for the "I want to live" package, but that might be a bit defeatist.

4. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    1. KO Etheric's killer in the first few turns
    2. watch him spend the whole match in the KO box
    3. relax :p

More seriously, kick is really important against orcs, it gives you a turn or 2 to try to interrupt with cage creation and can also prevent 1TTD if you get a little bit lucky with scattering.

When the cage is formed and you're in a nice position to recover: fireball!

But well, all those things have already been said above ;)

5. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the input guys! Really helps me!

Now I need to play a match tonight... and hopefully it goes ok and I get a skilled lino to get kick... otherwise an induced kicker sounds like my best option...

But yeah, still have to face Vampires tonight. And as someone said, all Elf teams are one bad match away from retiring.. :)

/SorroW

6. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Match day.
    A bushleague Elfteam match. Something Fishy vs Pink Kaspar (goblin)

Il Capitano looked out over his squad. They looked nervous and more then a little afraid. He remembered that fateful night a few lousy weeks ago when he made up his mind. And all of them had followed.

The rain was pouring down, and the company was once again penny less. And wet. And hungry.

The theater they were supposed to play at was closed, and the patron who had been the one getting them to this tiny hamlet was away. He had forgotten everything about the troupe, when "his" BloodBowl team won their first match in months. So he was away celebrating. For some bloody sport. Il Capitano snorted. Idiots whose only merit is that they can throw some pigskin around. And these where the ones who got the crowd cheering?! How hard can that be.

"Listen up people." He started, while the idea was still growing inside him. "This gotto end. We want, nay NEED the crowd back!" The troupe lifted heavy heads and looked on him.
    "Sure we do" said Brighella. "But how? The theater is closed. There are no crowds where we can strut our stuff. "
    "There is a crowd. And our "stuff" will be reworded greatly in front of it." Now Il Capitano had the wholes troupes full attention.
    "Lets play BloodBowl"

A needle dropping would have been loud as thunder in the silence that followed.

Then Pantalone started laughing.
    "Stop that and think. We got the skills we need. Pantalone are you not the same man who punched that dwarf in AltDwarf so hard that he was knocked through a wall? And we have all seen Innamorati run from the advances of the hordes of woman who always follow him around." Here Innamorati blushed and coughed, looking around.
    "And Pedroline is used to throw his weight around. And we all have gotten used to dodging bottles and rotten fruit, have we not?" Nods and agreements. "And even bad BloodBowl players get paid. Alot." The gasps was laud this time.

That was then.
    This was now. They had played a few matches. Against ratmen and Frothingly mad men worshiping norse gods. And even against the dead, and stiched-together abonimations. But that was all in the past. Now they all were looking at a new kind of deal. A league. Sure the money was better, but so was the opposition.

"Come on then I have a surprise for you." The troupe was looking up. Hoping for a miracle. And he showed them his Slapstick. Now pointy in one end.
    "They can bleed. And if they can bleed we can kill them!"
    The smile on all of their faces took on a more feral feel. Sure they might not all live to tomorrow.
    But by the gods they where gonna get the crowd cheering tonight!

/SorroW, getting into the spirit of the thing and waiting for my first match :)

7. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Very nice :)

8. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    Nice to see an early contender for the Gold-Substitute Fleece!

9. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the kind replies.

*cut to the chase*

Prologue
    Il Capitano watch as the rest of the troupe went out to the stage. The glum faces turned into brilliant smiles as the crowd cheered for them. Bowing and putting on their game masks all of them got ready.

Then the sun seemed to darken. The sound of distant thunder and the smell of death rolled over as the Squishy Gimps strolled onto the stage, as if they owned it.

A quick look around and he saw that several of the Comedias players were trying to hide sharpened sticks among the garlic filled armour they sported today. The referee called the captains forward and the toss was made. Cd'A wanted to start scoring, to leave the slow but powerful Vamps behind.

Act One
    The kick was deep and the game was on.

Brighella pushed a poor thrall to the ground, and he promptly ran to the KO box. Pulcinella and Colombina did the same, another KO and a stunned. Several pointed sticks wasted on thralls, but everybit helps.

Then the troupe ran forward, and Pantalone did what he does best and another KO'd thrall. This was looking way to easy. Did they have paper armour? Or where they afraid to be bitten? No matter. Il Capitano took charge of the ball and hung back. Waiting for that perfect opening. And Innamorati tried to draw the attention away from Tartaglia, who really needed to get his head into the game.

The Squishy Gimps retaliated. Pushing past a Hypnozised lino to put pressure on the Captain himself, while kicking Pantalone to the ground.
    But that couldn't stop them. Cool as ice Il Capitano dodged away ran a little bit forward and threw the ball to middleman, Brighella. Who promptly ran it up to Tartaglia who could stroll in with it. Easy simple and effective.

1-0

The next drive saw the Cd'A kicking, and setting up deep, not knowing what to expect. The vampires gathered the ball, and caged abit into the elfs half. Biting a thrall in the proccess and knocking down the three lineelfs who had drawn the short straws. But the garlic seemed to work, so no injuries so far.
    Scarramuccia didn't do the fandango, but a short kick and a long death to the poor thrall. And the apothecery came onto the field, looked up and said "He is dead Jim." and that was that. Some repositioning and covering the routes forward followed.

A faint to the middle, and a rush to the right. Followed by some really hungry vampires and a vicous Arlecchino left the Vampires with only 2 thralls on the field. And the vampires was still cornered in. But some HypnoEyes action and a blitz opened up the field a bit. But the blitzing vamp got hungry and KO'd his meal. And the ball carrying vampire also got peckish. But had no thralls in range. So tried to keep the ball in play by throwing it to a teammate. Turned out he was so hungry that throwing was out of the question. And the Elfs was off like a shot. Ball picked up and ran up the field. Still couldn't shake the persistent vampires, so didn't risk anything just scored. Scared of the hypnotic, powerful and agile vampires.

2-0

A stern talking to helped alot, and all the four KO'd Thralls returned to the pitch. This time the kick was off. And the ball got handed to a vampire in the frontline. A hypno and a blitz, and the vampires were through. Scarramuccia got handed a stake, and got the blitz lined up. Took a powerful step away from a thrall, and landed on his face. And the Vamps could stroll in with their first goal.

2-1

Act Two

Commedia dell'Arte kicked again, and frustrated with the easy of the last goal took the opportunity to reorginise their defence. Covered the part where the last goal was scored. But the kick was bad. Again. And ended up with a vampire in the back, far away from any elfs. The Squishy Gimps flowed over and through the few elfs who where standing in their way and ended up with a the ball just inside the elfs half. And in contact with one player. This was their chance, sprinting forward Pantalone punched a hole in the screen, and Pulcinella pushed forward to help La Signora who was hypnotized, but got over it and knocked the vampire with the ball to the ground. The bounce was bad though, and another vampire got it. Pedronilo got off a desperate block on that one, but a push was no help. Trying to cover the routes and knock down some Thralls didn't work so well.

The Ballcarrier could with insolence easy walk forward and knocking down some elfs, some vamps helped, one Hypno and one BH'ing Pedrolino in the proccess. But then Pulcinella showed why he has been one of the most valued players on this team. Dodging 3 times and making a GFI, just to help out to take down the ball carrier. And the block was :skull::skull:. And the field was open for the second vampire touchdown. The defensive moves were shortly ended when Basil, thrall, knocked down Arlecchino when he tried to dodge away.

2-2

One quarter of the match left, and the elfs tried to duplicate their first succesful touchdown. But it ended with a failed pass, and the vampires pushed in. Thankfully something was hindering the earlier so succesful Hypnotism to work this time. And they couldn't get to the ball.
    A push and a pickup and a short pass, and the third goal for the elfs was a fact. Tartaglia was a bit eager to score, so even if Il Capitano kept screaming "STALL STALL" and "KEEP THE BALL" he scored.

3-2

Defending haven't been Commedia's strongest part, so they started even further downfield. And moved the more agressive players into the middle. Still not much they could do. The vamps pushed down their left flank. And the elfs pushed back. Again getting loads of blocks on the ballcarrier (6 dice worth, 4 with block) but they couldn't get down the dodging vampire. And then a unfortunate GFI and the way to an equalizer was open.

3-3

Last drive of the game. All the elfs where primed to score again. This was it. Their time. And no. It didn't happen, a perfect pass (despite the now really sunny weather) but the first block ended up with both down.

Epilogue
    The first real competition match. And Il Capitano looked out on his players in the locker room. They had done great. And the garlicinfested armour was a god given idea, had worked like a charm. Only Pedrolino had been in the Injury box, and he was smiling and whispering "Safe" when they carried him there.

He stood up and walked over to Tartaglia, and patted him on the shoulder. The young elf was feeling stupid for his quick goal. And sure it could have ended better if only a more cool head had had that choice. But it sure was scary holding on to the ball against these vampires.

He felt proud of his friends, and was starting to worry about the orcs next week...

--------------------------------

Two quick TD's gave my new catcher a skill up. Regular skill, and dodge it is. The Thrower Il Capitano also got a skill, and got a double. Now I had some trouble. Should have chosen guard, or perhaps block or somesuch. But went with Strong Arm. AG4, Accurate, Strong Arm makes for one good thrower.

Moneywise I landed on 90k. So not enough for my third Catcher. And since I have 12 players and some killers coming up I think I will save the money and buy a catcher if no one dies next match.

/SorroW

---
    EDIT: So next up is Da Ead Smashas. And I have 250k inducement, he has one star thrower MNG, and I got a couple of skills and NO MNG?! :) . Want to score once or twice, and surviving with a few players would be nice. So was thinking of a Kicker and a second Apoth. A little of each. Kindof. And also feed the kicker to the orcs if needed. To save "my" players.

Or is it better to go with a Wizard and an apoth?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  10. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    Im not sure but I think would go wizard and apo. Kick is essential but Id rather have a wizard than a kicker i think.

11. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    If you are willing to risk touchbacks you can kick further back. Just outside the touchdown line back (and in the middle). Chances are big that the ball ends up somewhere in the backfield, and about equal for touchback or midfield.

12. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    Nice write-up. Good to see that "Pimp Hand" Jason's spirit is alive and well among the coaches. Keep it up! :)

13. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Prologue
    Il Capitano looked out over his little ragtag band of brothers. His family and friends who were out to seek glory on the pitch of blood.

Up against a fearsome ork team. And the odds were stacked highly against them, but he did have a few tricks up his sleave. He had managed to talk a fellow elf into joining them for today, one who really could kick the ball. Il Capitano was happy that a few of the Comedias players were busy taking notes. And also he had bribed a Wizard into the stand. Now he could only hope he would be worth the money spent.

Shoulderpads on. Shoes shined (and sharpened!). It was time.

Act One
    And the kick was off. AND..... (just follow this link and you get the idea, start at 0:59)
    Chaos

Epilogue
    Il Capitano hanged his head in shame, and the concussion still made it hurt like hell. How could it go so wrong?! There was only one member of the team who had done good. The Miricleworker. He saved Arlecchioni from certain death from an enraged fan.

Well, you loose some and then you live and learn. He made his rounds and tried to talk some sense and hope into the beaten and bruised elfs around him.

--------------------------------

I don't have the heart to give this match a more thorough report.

Anyway. Good news everyone! No deaths!

And I got a kicker. And only like three MNG. Still a -AV on my Thrower really hurts. But hopefully I can get another one of those soon enough. After this game I bought a catcher. The third. Two isn't enough. And I think I would like all 4, for the speed they give.

/SorroW

14. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    -AV in an AV7 team is a perfectly valid injury unless you share the Spartan team management philosophy of elf coaches like Enarion, who throws to the pit of oblivion any player slightly impaired right away. Managing niggle or -AV in AV7 teams should be your bread and butter.

Regarding Catcher numbers Pro elves need all 4 indeed, as they are the only true advantage they have versus other types of elves. The thing with Catchers is that they are quite onerous, and managing all 4 unskilled can prove a very expensive mistake if not managed well. Try rather to add new Catchers no earlier than when the others have at least one blocking skill (i.e. block, wrestle or dodge).

15. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks. And yeah.. I should be used to it... but it still hurts! :)

And I have now updated my roster on the first page. And I have 2 catchers, both with dodge, one with dump-off aswell. So getting the third should be right at this time then! And wait until I have money and the "noob" have dodge or somesuch and then get the forth..

/SorroW

16. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    The thing with managing -AV or Niggling in the pitch is that in exchange you should have a decent bench. For Pro┬┤s more than other elves that is a slightly cheaper exercise, and I typically aim to have 13 players for example.

17. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Going from AV7 to AV6 hurts like hell though, the chance of breaking AV7 is 15/36, while the chance of breaking AV6 is 21/36. Unless the injury is on a Blodger who is not one of the main targets in the team for the opposition, I think I'd sack the player immediately, simply because he is going to spend most of his time face-down on the pitch or worse.

18. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    As I said this is also a perfectly valid way of managing the team. Fire the weaklings.

I just would challenge you to actually look at the logs and see when the AV6 vs AV7 actually made a difference. It should be actually 1 in 6 times that you have armor rolls for that player... I can personally live with that. It is obviously not somehting you can decide on a black or white basis and it depends on many things : skills and role of the affected player, composition of the rest of your team, opposition coming your way in next games, gold available to buy new players etc etc.

In other words, I personally can not subscribe 100% to one way or the other. The final answer is very situational, but I for one tend to keep many of my -AV and Niggling players until I can afford to replace efficiently or until they retire themselves, specially if they are skilled and valuable players to start with.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  19. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Yeah that was a nasty game, but I got actually beaten up by bintz dark elves the week before so I was not really in a compromising mood, and I got some great block dice. You do get games like that though wiht pro elves. You get lots of spp, but you have to retire players to. Probably the team with the fewest retrirements is orcs or I guess dwarves as they are just tough.

I would try to build towards all positionals, you do need 13 players, 2 blitz, 4 catchers, 2 throwers and then 5 linemen or so.

I think long term you need to replace the thrower, but short term it is ok. Depending on who you are playing next it might be good to get a 2nd thrower first (they are pretty cheap) and when he gets 16 spp fire the -av one.

20. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah.. something like that was the plan. Or even get one thrower, and skill him abit. And then kick the First one when I can afford to rebuy him.

Kindof need a Capitano for the team! ;-)

/SorroW