1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Team Blog] The Basement Dwellers

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Purgatory, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    After completing the fifth season as Wood Elves in December, I decided to let my poor elves have a well-deserved break from getting the snot beat out of them and try out a slightly different team: Underworld. I've decided to use the following starting roster, as per Coach's suggestions:

Donkey Kong - Warpstone Troll
    Cloud Strife - Skaven Blitzer
    Captain Falcon - Skaven Blitzer
    Link - Skaven Thrower
    Mega Man - Skaven Thrower
    Fox McCloud - Skaven Lineman
    Ezio Auditore da-Hup de dup - Skaven Lineman
    Mudkip - Goblin
    Leon S. Kennedy - Goblin
    L-block - Goblin

4 Re-rolls, 40k in the bank (house rules dictate that if you own your own models, you get +10k gold).

As is apparent, I've decided to go the route of the "video game heroes"-theme, something I'm sure has been done to death already, but it was fitting since the human team in the A-tier has chosen "video game villains" for his team. Hopefully, in a season or two, we'll have an epic showdown.

The Team Captain, Cloud Strife, and his best friend Captain Falcon will be getting a combination of skills like Claw, Mighty Blow, Piling On (combo henceforth known as "faaaaalcon pauwnch!") primary, I lived for five seasons with virtually no guard on my WE team, and even though this team is weaker on paper, I think I'll manage against all but the bashiest of teams. Maybe I'll have to revamp this policy at a later date, and give mr. Falcon Guard or Stand Firm, but we'll see.

The Throwers will be scorers, ball-retrievers and generally all-around awesome, if they'll live for long enough. I think the first skill on both will be Block, and then there'll be some form of specialization, maybe Extra Arms etc. on one and Leader/Kick on the other. They will be playing all drives, obviously, since S3 seems about as invaluable as AV8 in the team, so Block is definitely first, barring stat-ups. They are named after characters with large arsenals of specialized weapons, and that is the spirit of the Underworld Skaven Thrower, in my eyes.

At least one of the Linerats will be a ball-sacker, with Wrestle, Horns and Tackle, in that order - provided that they live long enough to see that happen. The other I'm undecided, but I think it will probably have a similar route to take.

The Goblins, if one of them happens to land two MVPs or something like that to give it a level will obviously be granted two heads. If I roll a double, I'll make either a Wrestle/Horns cage-breaker or a DP/SG foulers. I've named them all after unsuitably cute characters (Tails, Mudkip - yes I have a Goblin with two rat-tails on it), unsuitably manly characters (Leon is pretty cool in RE4), or unsuitably obscene characters (the L-block kind of looks like a penis, if you really want it to).

Donkey Kong, my Warpstone Troll is named after the biggest and dumbest Nintendo character of all time, which is fitting seeing as how he is really the brawn-over-brains player on the team. He, along with L-block and Leon will be doing the "getting beat up on the LOS"-job on the team, at least initially. After purchasing the Apothecary, I hope I can bring a steady stream of useless Goblins to do that job instead, but even so, with the Troll and all the Skaven on the field, that makes for only 4 Goblins, which is a bit too little, even while on the defense. Maybe I shouldn't sacrifice them all to Nuffle on the line, we'll see. In any case, DK will get Tentacles and then Guard, or perhaps something cool like Claw.

My first game of the season will be played tomorrow, and it is against Dark Elves, who currently has no less than 5 Journeymen on the team. Despite that, he'll be handing me 150k of inducements, and I'm pondering the cool route (chainsaw, or Wizard), or the safe route (Apoth + babe).

Also playing in the league is a Chaos Dwarf team (1250-ish), a Necromantic team (1150-ish), an Undead team (1150-ish) and a Dwarf team (fresh). So yeah, Claw for everyone!

In preparation for this season, I've played a number of one-of games against various opponents, and I've not done very well. :p In the end, I decided to drop the Apothecary to afford another re-roll, they burn fast since I like to do 1D-blocks with the Goblins. :) Here's to a season of pain!

Current team record: 12 - 6 - 8 (WDL)

TD difference (43 - 35): +8
    CAS difference (54 - 68): -14

Current roster:
    Donkey Kong - Warpstone Troll - Guard, Claw, Tentacles

Cloud Strife - Skaven Blitzer - Claw, Mighty Blow, Horns, Piling On
    Captain Falcon - Skaven Blitzer - Guard, Mighty Blow

Dragonborn - Skaven Thrower - Block
    Mega Man - Skaven Thrower - Block, Leader, Kick

Fox McCloud - Skaven Lineman - Wrestle
    Ezio Auditore da Nanana hey hey nana - Skaven Lineman - Wrestle, Tackle

Tails - Goblin - Two Heads, Wrestle, Horns
    Marshtomp - Goblin - Dirty Player, Sneaky Git
    Guybrush - Goblin - Big Hand
    Squiggly Line - Goblin - Two Heads, +ST
    Drake - Goblin
    Ethan - Goblin
    Ryu - Goblin
    Master Chief - Goblin

4 Re-rolls, Apothecary, 8 Fan Factor, 2 Cheers, 2 Coaches, 660k in the bank

Total value: 1870

Dead or retired:
    Loco Roco - Goblin - retired - 0 SPP (-AV)
    L-block - Goblin - dead - 2 SPP
    Mudkip - Gobin - retired - 5 SPP (-MA)
    Samus Aran - Goblin - retired - 8 SPP, Two Heads (-AV)
    Toad - Goblin - retired - 0 SPP
    Guile - Goblin - dead - 10 SPP, +ST
    Red - Goblin - retired - 0 SPP
    Leon S. Kennedy - Goblin - dead - 0 SPP
    Gold - Goblin - retired - 0 SPP
    Link - Skaven Thrower - retired - 28 SPP, Block, Kick (-MA)
    Han i Amnesia - Goblin - retired - 10 SPP, Two Heads (niggle)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Played the game this afternoon. Apparently, my opponent had "only" three Journeymen, but meh. His team consists of 2 Blodge Blitzers, 1 Unskilled Blitzer, 1 Dodge Runner, 1 Block Lino and 3 unskilled Linos, with two team re-rolls. I chose the safe route and picked up an Apothecary and a Babe with my 150k inducements.

The premiere of the Basement Dwellers was shaky to say the least. He won FAME, I won the toss and elected to receive, and I began rolling dice like a donkey. I failed the pick-up despite sure hands, and he was able to put a lot of pressure on me. I made the second pick-up, and protected the ball carrier with a Y-shaped half-cage, but unfortunately the Goblin protecting one of the corners failed his GFI, but stayed on the pitch stunned. In either case, my opponent got a 1D-blitz in, rolled a :pow: and got hold of the ball. I wasn't able to re-claim it and he scored 0-1 in his turn 3 of my drive. Oh what misery!

Nevertheless, I set up again and penetrate his defenses. This time I make the pick-up the first time around and I can safely hand-off to Team Captain Cloud Strife in my turn 6 for a TD. There were a Rat and a Gobbo in the KO box, so I didn't dare to stall any more. Most of my players were tied up anyway, so I had to make a couple of 3+ dodges just to score.

Both of my KOs return, and I set up for a last defensive drive for the half, and he penetrates my defense with a Blitzer who runs as deep as he could into my half. I mark him up with two Goblins and then fail a dodge to Blitz him with a Blitzer, oh well. In his turn, he makes a 2+ pass, a 2+ catch, a 2+ dodge, a GFI for a 4+ hand-off to the marked Blitzer, two 2+ dodges with the Blitzer before finally failing the last GFI in the End Zone. Phew. 1-1 at halftime thus.

He receives in the second half and I roll a Blitz but the kick is too deep for me to reach it. I tend to the defenses, and set up more properly to face is slightly lop-sided offense, but due to a BH-result on a Goblin and another KO, I'm still a bit out of position. He gets an untimely turnover which leaves the ball open, and I grab it with a Linerat who makes a couple of GFIs to get into a safer position. He marks up and blitzes the Linerat, for a :powdodge: and the ball bounces around for a while before one of my Goblins manages to catch it on a 6+ roll. Unfortunately, as I'm trying to build up a side-cage to protect him, he fails a GFI to get into position, despite burning a team re-roll :( The ball scatters next to a Rat, but he manages to get it out and get it deep into my field with a screen protecting the ball carrier. Somewhere around here, one of my Linerats is CASed with a Niggling Injury, but I send in the Apothecary who turned it into a BH. Yeah!

I accept the loss and just bash his Journeymen to get some more SPPs. He scores in his turn 8 for 1-2, and I set up to try a Goblin toss. He rolls a Riot! which made little difference because I have to spend a turn juggling the ball with one of my Throwers before he finally picks it up on my turn 8. Here, the epicness begins:

I make the pick-up (3+ with Sure Hands), the Animosity roll (2+), and the pass (4+ with Pass), the catch (3+), the Really Stupid roll (2+), the Always Hungry roll (2+), the Goblin throw (3+), and the landing (4+), with only a re-roll for the pick-up and the pass. I'm shaking by now and my opponent is furious. I explain that the Goblin in question is Tails, and he is therefor a certified flier.

Tails then runs towards his end-zone, making three dodges (3+ with Dodge for one failure, which was used), and a GFI (2+) to score.

Final Score: 2-2 (0-2 CAS)

The onlookers all laugh, and my opponent just stares at my luck. I rolled so many fours in that turn, it was just insane. Tails is now the team's hero, and I will do my best to level him up in the next game.

MVP landed on Cloud Strife, who got a level because of the TD, and I chose Claw, because of the number of 8-9 AV players in the league. No other skill-rolls, but i got 60k for winnings, which meant that with the cash I had in the bank I was able to afford both an Apothecary and a new Goblin (named Loco Roco).

Overall, I'm very happy with the result. As my first real game with an AG 3 team, I felt really crippled without the more reliable ball-handling of the Elves, but I'm happy that my team was left unscathed and I even gathered some SPPs and a skill-roll! :D Good times, although my opponent will probably disagree with me.

Next week I'm up against a Necromantic team with a large squad of players but only one Ghoul, and the Ghoul in question has a -AV injury. I've heard that the coach uses his Werewolves to carry the ball, however, and that's fine by me, that means one less Frenzy dude blitzing my players. :) Hopefully the Claw skill on the captain will do some good against his Flesh Golems. He will be giving away about 200k of inducements, and I'm thinking Chainsaw + bribe might be fun, since I've never gotten to use one...

3. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Unless you are house-ruling it, Throw Team-Mate counts as your pass action for the turn. So technically that riot (and a successful pass in the new turn 7) would have been needed. Else it is handoff all the way.

Another thing often forgotten about Throw Team-Mate is that tacklezones on the landing square makes the landing roll harder.

Still, Blood Bowl is about getting away with things, no? (Especially things you yourself forget ;)) And such a nice series of rolls deserve a TD :D

4. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Actually, me and the LC had a discussion about this right as I was about to make the play, and I said that if I recalled correctly, TTM did not count as a regular pass action, but I suggested that we look it up. He shrugged, however, and let me attempt the play. I shall bring this new enlightenment to his attention, however, and we'll see if we might retroactively change the score.

It ought to be noted that the LC did allow it, and, as is stated on pg. 24 of the BBCR, his word is "LAW", and thus not to be messed with ;)

5. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Indeed it is law. Also, one doesn't retract more than during the same turn in BB. It is a silly game anyway, so why bother about the details. Have fun and be amazed is worth more :D

6. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    It was easily the most epic TD I have ever scored, and I did have some rotten luck at the start of the first half. I considered that string of lucky rolls as a sort of compensation :D

7. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Epic TD:s are Epic :D

I had a few silly ones with my woodies last season but they are somehow more epic the harder they are. (The ones that took a scattered pass to bounce back to the intended receiver are always favorites, no? ;))

8. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    The Necromantic team who is my W2 opponent just beat the Undead team by 2-1, but the Necro coach was two GFIs away from a 3-1. It was not to be, however, but he did get a couple of skill rolls which makes his team into this:

(from memory, there might be some discrepancies)

Flesh Golem - Guard
    Flesh Golem - Naked

Werewolf - Block
    Werewolf - Block

Wight - Naked
    Wight - Naked (Guard?)

Ghoul - Naked
    Ghoul - Naked

Zombie - Block
    Zombie - Guard
    Zombie - Naked
    Zombie - Naked
    (Zombie - Naked)

3 RRs, neither coach nor cheerleader on his sidelines.

In total, he'll give me 260k inducement money to play around with which means I have more than a few alternatives to spend them on (God I love being spoilt for choice). Here are some of the alternatives I'm considering, along with my reasoning:

Apoth, 2x Babe, Bomber Dribblesnot (260k) - Extra protection might be overdoing it, seeing as how most of my players are Rookies, but still, if a Blitzer phones it in, I won't be able to replace him for at least another game, and that means playing against Chaos Dwarf with fewer Skaven (shudder). Bomber is bad, obviously, but he's cool and funny, and since I have 60k to spare after the Apoth and two Babes, why not? Bomber and a Babe could be dropped to afford another Apothecary, but three seems too many, considering he has 0 tackle pieces and 0 MB pieces on his roster.

Nobbla Blackwart + Bribe (230k) - A Chainsaw is always fun, I've never gotten to use one in a league match before, and most of his team is AV 8 which means that the Chainsaw has a good chance of breaking armour. If Nobbla gets removed somehow before the end of the first drive, I could always foul with a Goblin if I get a Werewolf or a Ghoul on the ground.

Skitter Stab-Stab + Apoth (260k) - Skitter's Stab will probably not be that useful against anything aside from the Ghouls, and Shadowing/Prehensile Tail will probably not be used either. He is fast, however, and he has good AG so he might be used as a scoring threat. Then again, he is kind of expensive, he is another weak player on the field, and he lacks Block, so there's a good chance he might eat some Wight or Werewolf love early on.

Glart Smashrip Jr. + Babe (260k) - Glart is kind of cool, and has some decent hitting power. He is another Block piece, and he has a great Strength stat. Then again, he is also expensive, and this option offers no additional protection or staying power to my other players, aside from the lone Babe (who seems to always net me 2's, worst Inducement ever!).

Fezglitch + Babe + Bribe/Apoth (250k) - Fezglitch is, at least on paper, my least favourite Star Player available to Underworld. I'm not a fan of Ball and Chain due to its unreliable nature, and if he does make contact, he has several Block pieces on my opponents team to deal with, and also he has no extra skills for hurting, meaning it's less likely that he'll actually remove someone from the pitch. Granted, he is pretty cheap, but he needs a Bribe in order to be of some use, lest I will hope that he'll KO himself by the end of each drive (not at all unlikely, if my opponent goes after him).

Wizard + Apoth/2x Babes (250k) - The Wizard is always a welcome addition to my team, and I've loved him every time I've used him thus far. He can open up for a defensive TD, then again he is risky. This configuration comes with an extra Apoth, however, which is also very useful, for obvious reasons.

Any two of Bomber, Fezglitch and Nobla + Apoth or Babe where applicable - Secret Weapon craziness makes for great BB fun, but I'm not a big fan of running a heap of Secret Weapons and no Bribes. Also, if he elects to receive I get to play a (probably long) drive with no extra benefits from my inducements. Still, this is tempting just to mess around.

I've disregarded extra re-rolls and Mercenary Goblins, simply because I think those options are sub-par compared to even the crazy double-SW plan. They're not even that fun, and so those options are out the window.

9. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Sounds like Chainsaw + bribe, or apo+bribe+bomber (using bribe to foul, not to keep bomber intact. You could even foul with the bomber, that way you have him in a good position to try to bomb next turn. (Either throwing bomb very close, or aim for something in long bomb range intending to throw a modified one and hoping to fumble into your opposition ;))

Chainsaw too is only for fouling every last opportunity. Or chainsawing ghouls.
    Frankly, ghouls need to be hurt until they are not coming back, because everything else can regen. :rolleyes:

10. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the input, I don't have to decide until Thursday when the game is played, so there are still plenty of time to agonize over this decision. :)

11. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I like Fezglitch alot, I think the ability to at best knock down 4 opponants in one go, without using a blitz is brilliant.

12. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    'tis true, I could potentially open up a hole in the line with him alone. However, since he is a Loner, I'd like to save him for last. He also doesn't have block. Thus, inb4 loads of :bothdown::bothdown::skull: :/

13. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    ON 3 dice he only goes down 1/27, but sadly its always at key moments:p

14. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Three seasons with a Treeman taught me to not trust the "three dice, no block"-blocks. :skull:

15. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Then I shall rest easy as my tree have block:D

16. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    I took Fezglitch in a one off match the other day, after him not doing anything for two turns whilst my throwers took turns not being able to pick the ball up :mad: I send him in first thing :skull::skull::skull:

Cue facepalm

As for your inducements, I'd be tempted by Glart. If your opponent forgets about juggernaut, he could be in for a nasty surprise ;)

17. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    The match was played earlier tonight, and it was another epic bout for the Basement Dwellers. I'm afraid that I can't really make the game justice, because of my incoming brevity, it is difficult to recall much detail. Much of the game was a big brawl in the middle.

I took Glart and a Babe, Glart seemed awesome on paper, a S4 Block piece is always nice, despite Loner. He won FAME, because of his much higher Fan Factor (his team is undefeated), but I won the toss and elected to receive.

Here I make the game's first mistake - I had 13 players in total, so I leave two Gobbos in the box and set up the rest. A couple of turns later, however, the LC discovered that I had left a Goblin in the locker rooms, and thus only had 10 players with the field. The fact that the ball scattered into the hands of my Blitzer who was standing on the LOS in two TZs meant that the offense was suitably awkward, a trait I have come to expect from my squad.

In any case, he KOs Captain Falcon (Blitzer) and crowd-surfs Cloud Strife (Claw Blitzer), so my player disadvantage is further amplified, and it forces me to make a hero play in my turn 5. Before that, I avenge the crowd-surfing by taking a -2D block against the same Werewolf with a Goblin, and it turns up :pow::pushback: after a re-roll. Aw yeah.

The hero play was conducted by Tails (obviously) and Link. Tails stood up from being knocked down, made two 3+ dodges out of being marked by a Wight and something else, a GFI to reach the end zone, where he receives a pass from Link after a 3+ dodge and a GFI to make the pass a 5+. I make all the rolls, and everyone laughs. Good fun.

My opponent then responds when Captain Falcon fails to come back. I make an effort to defend properly with the Goblins, but to no avail. In my turn 7 I have a chance to make a 1D-block against the ball-carrying Wight to crowd-surf him, but I have to dodge with a Linerat to do so, and I'm out of re-rolls. I roll a 1, and he can safely walk in the score in his turn 8.

Captain Falcon wakes up for the second half, and I set up in a regular ziggurat to negate the Frenzy Werewolves somewhat. He pummels my LOS, even the Troll went down more than a few times over the course of the game, and somewhere here he CAS:s the new Goblin, Loco Roco, with a -AV injury. Another Goblins is BH'd but I also KO a couple of his lads, and I CAS both of his Ghouls (one of them with Tails <3). It all boils down to a brawl near my end zone, where I finally get the upper hand after Tails made that CAS and after a blitz with Cloud Strife, the ball is left in a single TZ from a Zombie. Link jumps in, grabs the ball (4+, didn't need to use the re-roll), dodges out (3+), makes a GFI (2+) and then tosses a short pass. It turned out inaccurate despite the re-roll, but the ball scatters back to Ezio Auditore de la Hup de dup lup, who makes the 4+ Catch with a re-roll burned. He then runs the 7 squares into the end zone, with me shaking like a leaf and everyone else laughing.

He is left with a single turn to respond, but I set up in a ziggurat anyway, since I still hadn't used my Apoth, and I didn't want him to get into scoring range in case I rolled Riot. I roll Blitz instead and actually manage to make the two GFIs and the 4+ Catch with Ezio Auditore de Blö blö, and he is within scoring range. However, I can't protect him enough and so my opponent blitzes him down and KO:s him (shame, a level on the dude would've been awesome). He then tries to make a Completion with one of his Wights for a level, but fails the pick-up.

In my last turn, I have a chance to score, all I need to do is get rid of a TZ on the troll and then throw a Goblin on the Wight marking the ball. I then just have to make a 3+ Dodge and a pick-up with Thrower Link to score with a single GFI. I block with Glart, but he rolls a :skull::skull:, ending the game.

Final Score: 2-1 (2-2 CAS).

Post-game, Tails rolled a normal level (Two Heads), and I rolled 50k for winnings, and bought a new Goblin to replace Loco Roco. I named him Samus Aran. The Troll got the MVP but hasn't gotten a CAS yet, so he is at 5.

My squad, post-game:

Donkey Kong - Warpstone Troll - Naked (5 spp)

Cloud Strife - Skaven Blitzer - Claw
    Captain Falcon - Skaven Blitzer - Naked

Link - Skaven Thrower - Naked (2 spp)
    Mega Man - Skaven Thrower - Naked

Fox McCloud - Skaven Lineman - Naked
    Ezio Aduitore da-Hup de dup - Skaven Lineman - Naked (3 spp)

Tails - Goblin - Two Heads (8 spp)
    Mudkip - Goblin
    Leon S. Kennedy - Goblin
    L-block - Goblin
    Samus Aran - Goblin

4 Re-rolls, Apoth, 2 Fan factor, 20k in the bank.

TV: 1120

Next week, I'm up against Chaos Dwarf, and here's his roster, from memory:

Bull Centaur - Break Tackle
    Bull Centaur - Naked

Hobgoblin - Naked
    Hobgoblin - Wrestle
    Hobgoblin - pending normal skill
    Hobgoblin - Block, Dodge

Chaos Dwarf - Guard
    Chaos Dwarf - +ST
    4 Chaos Dwarves - Naked

3 RRs

As it is now, he'll give away 270k, tempting me to take Glart again. We'll see. He has another game before that, against Undead, being played in merely 15 minutes, so maybe there will be some changes to his squad before our game next week.

18. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    After watching the Chaos Dwarf team beat the Undead 2-0 later this evening, me and the Chaos Dwarf coach decided that we were not too tired and neither had had enough Blood Bowl for one day. Thus, we decided to play our W3 game tonight instead of waiting till next week.

His team is exactly like the one I posted above, but he chose Kick for the pending skill roll, and he also has 4 re-rolls and not 3. He pondered buying the Minotaur before our game, but decided against it, instead saving his 150k. I had 300k of inducements in the end, and decided to get Glart again and a mercenary Goblin, to bump my squad to 14 for the game.

He won FAMEx2, and the toss and elected to kick. I set up a regular offense, and he promptly rolled a perfect defense. Sigh. My offense is thus blunted from the very start, and he manages to steal the ball from me around about turn 4 after a couple of nice turn-overs. There were plenty of double skulls in this game, on both sides.

However, by the time he runs in the first TD, he has no less than two Chaos Dwarfs in the CAS booth, both BH'd and one of them came from L-block the Goblin, no less, the other from Cloud Strife, the Claw Blitzer. Regardless, I fail to mount a proper offense yet again, and we go to half time with me down a point.

I roll a Blitz for his drive, and manage to get to the ball. However, when I'm about to run in the TD, Tails the Goblin fails his GFI and BH's himself thanks to Stunty. Typical Goblin shenanigans, I suppose. Instead he gets the ball back and runs in another TD with one of his Bull Centaurs whom I can't quite get my hands on despite downing them with Claw pieces and throwing them into the crowd.

I have about five turns to work on the numbers and set up another offense. I think I have to work on this somewhat. Crisis strikes when Glart, the bastard, rolls a nice :skull::skull:, when he tries to free up one of the Rats to run and grab the ball. I pass the Loner check, however, and re-roll into :skull::pushback:, which is enough. Here I have the choice to either run in the ball with one of my Throwers, who gets a re-roll on the pick-up, but he has to make one GFI to reach the end zone, or to grab it with a Linerat who has no re-roll for the pick-up but is in range. I decide to run with the Thrower, though I suspect that this is the wrong call. Nuffle chooses not to punish me, thankfully, and I make the GFI. 1-2.

For the last couple of turns, I try to make a CAS with Mr. Strife, since he'd be in MVP-range for a level, and I knock over a Dwarf and roll a solid nine for Injury (so close!). The rest of it is uneventful, as I had a shot at a tie with a miracle Goblin throw, but as I send in Glart to remove the Dwarf marking the Troll, he rolls another :skull::skull:.

Final Score: 1-2 (3-3 CAS)

That ends the game at my team's first loss. I'm not bitter, the dice were all over the place as usual. I CAS:ed two Dwarfs, one of them with a freaking Goblin, and he only managed a couple of KO:s over the entire first half, despite blocking Goblins with Dwarfs like there's no tomorrow. I did roll three doubleskulls over the course of the game, which is slightly higher than average. I don't know the exact number, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't throw 108 blocks. My opponent managed a mere two doubleskulls, and I think that's reflected in the result.

In all seriousness, the games between this coach and I are always enjoyable, he used to play Skaven and frequently beat my Wood Elves way back when. I can't say that I expected the loss, but I think both of us were deserving of the win at points during the game.

Unfortunately, L-block took a Block to the face in the second half and didn't live to even hit the ground. I didn't dare to use the Apoth on a Goblin, despite him scoring a CAS in the first half, but I rolled enough winnings to buy a new one with 40k to spare. The Troll got a CAS too, and rolled a normal level, and I chose Guard. MVP landed on Cloud Strife for the second time, which means he's on 15.

Next up is Undead, which will be tough, the coach is inexperienced, but her team is strong. A Blodge Ghoul died against the Chaos Dwarf, but she has Guard on both of her Mummies and a Wight, +AG on a Ghoul and an assortment of other levels as well, with some 1400 TV all in all. That game is two weeks away, however, so it's way too soon to start pondering inducement choices. Glart was okay overall today, he did mark the Bull Centaurs well, and he's been an asset in the past two games. He might make another showing in the next game, we'll see.

19. nufflehatesme

nufflehatesme Member

Country Flag:
    nice write ups and sounds like 2 enjoyable games - :skull::skull: withstanding.

tails is fast becoming a little hero :)

20. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    All of my games with the team (including the pre-season practice one-of games) have been examples of excellent Blood Bowl games. I think playing a tier 2-team relieves most of the stress surrounding the game for me; when I played Woodies (which is arguably one of the best teams out there), I used to get upset whenever I or the squad underperformed, but now that's not an issue - I'm playing with f*cking goblins!

And yeah, partly because I cheated (unknowingly, but still) when Tails got his first TD, and partly because he is awesome, people already hate him. I don't expect him to live very long (since, well, he's a Goblin after all), but I'll make the most of his time here. :)