1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TEAM BLOG - The Harbingers of Megz

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by voyagersuk, Nov 12, 2009.

1. voyagersuk

voyagersuk Member

ok, so I don't have any blogging experience, but what the heck...

I started a Chaos team as I mentioned on another thread...

now this will be the first time I have ever run a chaos team through a league situation, having before only used them in pick-up games.

I do intend to develop killers and see what level of damage I can deal out. Hence the Harbingers of Megz were sprouted.

a second match under the belt and a 2-1 win over wood elves.

I won the toss and chose to receive (unorthodox against an agility team I know) so that I could lay the smack early and often.

Turn 1 saw a KO to a line elf
    Turn 3 saw a KO to a line elf (damn I missed Mighty Blow)
    Turn 5 saw a BH to the wardancer (although on a dodge failure so no spps for me)
    Turn 6 saw a pass from one beastman to another
    Turn 7 saw him get pulled up short and knocked down (ball pops loose)
    Turn 8 saw a Warrior rumble stumble & bumble over the line for the go ahead score.

second half starts and the wood elf is down to 9 active players, none with Block.

Turns 1, 2 & 3
    I kick long and he runs back to collect with a catcher. I get excited and attempt to collapse and surround the pocket. I am over confident and think that I can increase my numbers differential before he can get past me.

I was wrong, he ran down the sideline and scores at the end of turn 3. I tried to get a blitz on him but managed only to push him back (with a reroll).

However he is down to 7 players now.

Turn 4 I take the kick and semi-protect it about 5 squares back. He commits tactical suicide by trying to swarm me under and doesn't actually reach the ball carrier.

Turn 5 I move the ball easily away from his players and now have a strong fence between the ball and his players with the ball carrier nearer the end zone than anyone on his team.

turn 6 the ball carrier (extra arms) runs off with 2 beasts for support and the rest of the etam support the warriors who go elf hunting.

Turn 8 runs it in for the winning score.

I win 40k for the second match running and adding that to the 40k I left in my treasury I buy Warrior 4 and save 20k for the Apoth.

next purchases
    Apoth
    Minotaur
    Reroll 4

I managed to get a skill on the Beast who threw a pass and he took Block so that I would have a reliable impact Blitzer.

I only intend to skill the beasts for utility purposes. going forward.

Next up an Orc team with some injuries from last match, although I will still face his troll....

2. voyagersuk

voyagersuk Member

as an aside I don't tend to give the players a personality until they do something on pitch to deserve it....

so at themoment they all resemble Galmen Goreblade to me... Faceless automotons

3. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Looks like a standard game for the chaos vs elves. Nice start!

4. sunnyside

sunnyside Member

To be clear, this is a team you're playing on the video game yes?

Are you playing against humans or the computer?

5. voyagersuk

voyagersuk Member

I am playing against the computer on hard. thought about playing in the online systems but I have heard only bad things of it, disconnections and the stability etc. Also my playing opportunities are limited due to a busy family life. Hopefully the pc environment will allow me to experiment

6. Axebreaker

Axebreaker New Member

The AI

The computer AI is pretty ordinary at the game.

I have been playing On-Line for over the month and have experienced few problems (although I do acknowledge that others have had significant issues)

Your Blog would be far more interesting if you were playing against other players - who are far less predictable than the AI (especially on Hard where it takes few, if any risks). Maybe you could try joining one of the many On-Line leagues.:D

Axe

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  7. voyagersuk

voyagersuk Member

well as you all seem to think it not worth while I won't bother...

no loss for me.

but I will be honest, if i had time to play against people I would play tabletop

8. Raveen

Raveen Member

Country Flag:
    I for one was enjoying it. If only to see how you develop the team over time rather than individual game records (although seeing you tackle the different AI teams would be interesting too of course).

9. BagOBones

BagOBones New Member

I second that Raveen. Voyagersuk, you keep on writing. Human, AI or just plain fiction, it makes for a fun and interesting read.

I too am looking forward to seeing how, and more importantly, why you develop your team the way you do.

10. voyagersuk

voyagersuk Member

Thanks guys I am never sure if my rambling makes sense

11. voyagersuk

voyagersuk Member

bringing you upto speed then.

Match 3 versus Goblins - 1-0 win
    Another Beast-man got a skill - took Block
    A Chaos Warrior took Mighty Blow

Match 4 versus Lizard-men 1-0 win
    A chaos warrior took Mighty Blow
    Beast man took Block
    Buy an Apoth

Match 5 versus Humans drew 0-0
    no new skills
    Purchased MEgz the Minotaur

won my division.

next round of competition is Cup league phase

Match 1 versus Lizard-men
    MEgz goes a bit beserk and gets 3 Casualties and a Touchdown in a 2-0 win
    she gains Claw to help against the trolls and Orcs in up-coming matches
    The Extra Arms beast-man gains Kick Off return. to help the cage form sooner.
    Beast-man gains Guard

Buy 4th Reroll.

next match is against Goblins who have 2 trolls and will induce Ripper and a bribe.

so we have

CW + Mighty Blow (2)
    CW (2)
    Minotaur + Claw
    Beastman + Block (2)
    Beastman + Guard
    Beastman + Extra Arms, Kick Off return
    Beastman (4)
    Apoth
    4 rerolls

no more purchases planned - just got to work on

12. voyagersuk

voyagersuk Member

they actually took Ripper and a reroll... bit silly really as things turned out

Received in First half and cas'd 4 KO'd 3 with a Beastman scoring in Turn 7

Goblins lost their pogoer at that point and were so down on numbers that they were forced to bring on the chainsaw and the Ball carrying maniac.

2nd Half went to plan with MEgz blitzing the ball carrier in turn 12 and scoring a 2nd TD in Turn 14.

nothing else happened in the match so lets look at the progression

40k winnings taking my treasury to 50k
    Fan Factor going to 7.
    "Tro" my Extra Arms Kick Off Return Beastie was just a supporting role this time.

But "Scruff" the Guard beastie had some good fortune in Blocking and assisting and gained Tackle. With 2 Wood Elf teams up next this is likely to help

So it is Wood Elf, Wood Elf, Orc to get to the KO phase with me in the lead with 2 wins.

Another Beast skilled up and took Kick as a utility skill to force the long game and allow more numbers in the initial tranches for me (and MEgz)

Now I just have to Threaten the wings with a CW + Block Beastie combo to force them into the tender claws of MEgz

I think I will have to play my secondary fairly deep against Elves. so far I have played 7 and only conceded 1 TD (Probably equally my tactical nous and the poor AI). I could do with another tackle piece or two.

13. voyagersuk

voyagersuk Member

I forgot to mention that the first blitz by MEgz led to a troll being badly hurt. Claws and mighty blow hmmm

14. Magic Dave

Magic Dave New Member

You Savage!

Great blog keep it up

15. voyagersuk

voyagersuk Member

might get a game or two in tomorrow if Wife is out... hopefully I can destroy the twig munchers

16. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Good Luck, no one likes Wood Elves!

17. BagOBones

BagOBones New Member

Not true. I like Wood Elves.

They make such a great source of zombies!:D

18. voyagersuk

voyagersuk Member

no games tonight, migraine...

19. voyagersuk

voyagersuk Member

ok, so 1st Woodie team in the books and mostly in the hospital.

The Mighty Blow CW's are earming their keep as is MEgz.

I played a fairly standard ziggurat formation until Turn 16 when I went all up on the line... (they only had 4 players at that point so it was not a worry)

5 casualties (1 dead) and 7 KO's allowed me to score on Turn 8 of the first half - I kicked. and Turn 7 of the second. nice X cage up the side with Scruff protecting Tro.

80k winnings put the treasury at 130k and 2 new skills were rolled.

Block on the skill-less CW for some LOS protection and MEgz gained skill 2 and because of Elves next match took Prehensile Tail. (get away from her claws now Tree hugger!!!!)

may play it later.. have some chores to do.

20. voyagersuk

voyagersuk Member

oh forgot to add. they freebooted a tree and Jordell. I gang fouled the Tree to a BH and KO'd Jordell pretty early on.

Your Inducement cash at work!