1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vampire Team Start-Up

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Captain Thorrek, May 29, 2012.

1. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    I'm looking to try my hand at a Vampire team sometime in the near future. Though I have the theme in mind, I'm not sure on which branch of the theme to pursue. I also read Coach's article on starting teams, and am thinking of using the following build:

3 Vamps
    8 Thralls
    4 Rerolls
    Denny the Apo (after all, where else are all the vampires going to go after a game but Denny's) ;)

With 20k in the bank, I'm halfway to my next thrall... thinking of getting another thrall, then saving for another vamp.

As far as the theme goes, I'm of two minds about which of Dumas' works to turn to. I could either go with the Musketeers' Saga (there's one character in particular I wouldn't mind failing bloodlust on), or The Count of Monte Cristo. The vamps are the protagonists, though I'll have to wait a bit for d'Artagnan to make his appearance, while the antagonists and foils will be thralls.

Now, the key is controlling my own Bloodlust during the match and I'll see how things go. Any suggestions on playstyle or possible characters to use?

2. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Which one is that? Milady? Rochefort? :D

Great theme anyway. I assume you read the whole lot? If you go with the Musketeers, I take you will use the Vamps for them, and Raoul de Bragelonne can be the 5th one if you take him. I would use the servants (Planchet and the other three) as Thralls, you can even push the fluff as to make them the favorite feed of their master but that would not enhance your performance! ;) Then sprinkle with Rochefort, de Winter and a couple more.

I loved Monte Cristo as well but I read it when I was older and it did not cling to my memory as much as the Musketeers.

Good luck with this team, they should be great. :)

3. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Edit: I needed to clean this post up. Though it looked fine on my laptop, the post was a mess on my gaming machine.

I was thinking about putting Planchet and the others in, since the Musketeers do make mention to d'Artagnan about beating servants to make themselves feel better.

Here's the Thralls I have in mind so far:
    <<Edited in>>The Musketeer's servants(the more I think about it, the more I like it... especially after Barristan's suggestion)
    Rochefort
    Milady
    Milady's son, Mordaunt
    Mazarin
    Saint-Aignan (if I remember right, is the one I wouldn't mind getting bitten)
    de Guiche
    Philippe from "The Man in the Iron Mask"
    Cardinal Richelieu
    M. Bonacieux

A member or two of the Cardinal's Guard

Thanks for the idea of having de Bragelonne for a fifth vampire, I'm going to use it! :)

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  4. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    I started a test team on single player for the Cyanide game. I eeked out a 1-0 win against Orcs (as Sasjhwa will tell you is a team I'm not exactly good against). I think this is a team I'm going to keep... it not only is a great challenge to play, and is rather fun to boot, it helps me fight the overly aggressive nature of my playstyle.

This team should help make me a better coach, and I sure might not win every match, but this team's a keeper. Treville's Trusted should be able to make it on the pitch soon. :)

5. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Your first post was readable enough ;)

That sounds great. Can't remember the name of Aramis' servant though. Planchet, Mousqueton, Grimaud, and...?

Funnily enough the name Saint Aignan rings a bell but I can't remember anything about him. Enlighten me?

6. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    My Cheesy Mousketeers team has
    Athos, Porthos (and soon Aramis and D'Artagnan) as Runners, M. de Treville and Comte de Rochefort as Vermins.

Servants are Grimaud, Mousqueton, Bazin and Planchet (Will probably go for Bonacieux, Kitty or Felton if further linos are needed)

Milady is (perhaps not so surprisingly) the Ogre in the team.

Edit: Oh, Cardinals Richelieu and Mazarin are the Throwers :p

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  7. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Bazin was Aramis' servant, and will be one of the first three Thralls I hire. :) I'll save hiring Planchet for after a couple matches, then d'Artagnan to follow.

If I remember right, Saint-Aignan was a rival with the king for a girl's attention, the queen or Louise de la Valliere? Saint-Aignan bugged me almost as much as Milady or Bonacieux.

I love your choice in names for your team, by the way Nikolai. Milady is the ultimate Rat Ogre.:D

8. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Forgot to mention the throwers, so I edited them in above. But it was pretty obvious, I think, to have the Cardinals Richelieu and Mazarin. :powdodge:

9. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Oh yeah that was it. Though I think Saint Aignan was more like the king's favorite and Raoul his rival for de la Vallière.

Great team as well Nikolai [jealous] :D

Anyway please keep us posted as to how the team is faring, I love all those characters. The last page of Le Vicomte de Bragelonne makes me tearful every time I read it :eek:

10. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I have played a bit with Vamps in multiplayer and prefer the 4 vamp build myself. But if coach suggests the 3 Vamp build then you can't go too wrong with that. I find that you really need to get some skills on the team before you start to do well. Blodge on the Vamps and wrestle on a few thralls and you should start being very competitive. As you tv gets higher you keep getting more and more competitive too.

They really make for a different style of gameplay and for that reason i find them a lot of fun. Good luck and congrats also on the cool theme.

11. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Coach suggested a 2 vamp build with some wiggle room, but I have ever been one to push my luck and opted for the third. ;) I am one of those people Coach warned about rolling a lot of Ones on the easy stuff, so it'll be a while before d'Artagnan rides out on the horse his father gave him to seek M. de Treville.

Thanks for the encouragement, the novels were a blast to read... although I admit "The Man in the Iron Mask" was a bit of a downer. Still, well written throughout and always brings a smile to my face. :)

The other three teams are a bit on the outlandish side, but going with Norse, Necro, and Chaos Dwarf. :) Skaven were my first team, and one of my favorites, but I can't think of a decent enough theme to go with them... so they're out