1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyanide TGS Blood Bowl League

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Web Cole, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    AJ, Dodger and Crendor are all (upsets notwithstanding) all but guaranteed to get their wins next week, and AJ's similarly all but guaranteed to win against Jessie this week. That'll put the rankings as:

Crendor: 6-1-0
    AJ: 4-2-1
    Dodger: 4-1-2

For TB vs Sidestrafe, my money is on TB - Sidestrafe has a lot of tactical strength, but I'm not convinced he's got enough grounding in the game to win that one. A draw is also possible, of course.

TB: 5-1-1/4-2-1/4-1-2
    Sidestrafe: 4-1-2/3-2-2/3-1-3

This means that both Crendor and AJ have guaranteed places. It all rests on TB vs Sidestrafe - any result other than TB outright losing will make it Crendor, AJ, TB and Dodger in the finals. If TB loses, it'll probably go to TV between TB, SS and Dodger - barring any deaths or similar, that'll mean TB and SS.

In other news, fun game. Crendor was a bit lucky at times (mostly with injuries), but TB was not playing his best by any means. The fact that TB doesn't seem to know that you can use a blitz to move after a block is also infuriating - MMA could've blocked down Skittles at the end and pushed through for a score far more safely than that dumb play with two GFIs. Definitely worth the wait, though - I'm sure I'm not the only one to have been eagerly awaiting the battle between the two favourites.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Last game of week 6.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i-yitYz7RU]Blood Bowl: Round 6 vs AngryJoe - The Phlegm Bowl - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  3. UltrasmurfsCoach

UltrasmurfsCoach New Member

Country Flag:
    Lol at Jesse's Misclick for the Apoth roll selecting dead instead of minus AV, not a huge problem in the end run since the smart thing would of been after the game would of been to fire him as a AV6 elf is as good as dead.

4. Stryke

Stryke Member

Country Flag:
    Damn that's actually a pretty impressively upset really.

5. DeathSquire36

DeathSquire36 New Member

Country Flag:
    AJ losing this game to Jesse throws a wrench into everything. This leaves Dodger and Sidestrafe with 10 points and AJ with 8. AJ gets a walkover next week, guaranteeing him 11. I'm not sure how the tiebreaker would work, but Dodger is almost guaranteed to win against the Beardmen next week (though AJ was "guaranteed" to beat Jesse), likely giving her 13 points. That leaves Sidestrafe. If he loses to TB, AJ is in. If he ties TB, AJ and SS both have 11. I believe that lets AJ in, since he beat SS head-to-head and has a higher team value. Idk which is more important in the tiebreaker. That leaves SS in charge of his own fate. If he wins against TB, he takes the last playoff spot, and AJ is out.

Overall, next week should be a lot of fun. I have no comments about the AJ v Jesse game since I kinda fast-forwarded through it.

6. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Interesting Jesse did not take inducements. The thing to do with 90k would have to take agility potions on both the wardancers. Not sure Jesse knows how to use the leap skill though.

Hmm not much to say about that one. Fairly typical elfball game, team gets pounded in to little pieces, but you steal the ball and win. Jesse has really improved, played quite well, but he did not get many ones. Think the d6 luck would have been quite high there. Did catch up a bit at the end, but still got some crazy stuff there. Strength 4 wardancers are awesome though.

Jesse does need to work on his kick off formations though. Just using the pre-set ones is not good. I would suggest leaving elves on the ground more as well, just standing them up gets them punched again. Normally you want to leave them down or stand them up and dodge at the right time.

But AJ really needs to learn how to protect the ball. Against elves it is all about the ball. Take it slow, think about where you are going to put the ball and how to protect it before you do anything else. Normally vs elves, particularly with a numbers advantage you just make an X cage and work your way up the field.

Missed a couple of frenzy surfs, particularly before the 2nd touchdown. Turn 9 there was a wardancer invitingly standing 2 squares from the edge, which would have been an easy surf (but that one got cased off anyway)

Before the 2nd TD it was

Code:
    -|----
    -|-EW-
    -|---E

or something.
    In that situation there is only one square to get an assist with no guard

Code:
    -|---A
    -|-EW-
    -|---E

Put a player on the A then it should be possible to get a 1d block with frenzy (just mark the other players to counter the assists they potentially give)and hope to get a surf or a knockdown

Remember to assist you need to be next to the guy and not next to anyone else.

Even 2d against is ok but risky, but it is only 50/50 to get a push or better when your opponent has block. Needing 2 pushes is a bit heroball, bit it is worth a shot (I forgot the wd had str 4 in the first half, but attempting the surf was probably the right thing.

Think AJ just need some practice vs elves (and to play less sick :D).

I guess there will not be a 2nd TGS bloodbowl tournament, but the more I watch these the more I want to sit down and try to coach the guys a bit, and try to raise the standard of the play. A couple of games with voice comms would improve the play a lot I think, but if there is not a 2nd tournament it is all a bit moot though.

7. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Heh just had a better the still image that youtube decided should be the one on my screen to give an idea of the video. That is huge spoiler in itself :D.

8. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    Bit of a mess, that one. The scoreline doesn't represent the level of play - just the fact that Jesse got some really stupidly lucky dodge rolls to mess up the positioning, and AJ took some dumb risks.

Honestly this was the match I was least certain of the result for. Jesse's early games were just slightly cringeworthy, but he's become a lot more capable (by TGS standards, anyway...). I'm with you, Etheric - I'd love to coach these guys up a bit. There's been some highly entertaining games (Dodger vs AJ is still my favourite), but the quality of play has not been brilliant.

9. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual New Member

Country Flag:
    I think the match rating has to do with events occurring in the match. Deaths and points on the board seem to help. Perhaps more passes and interceptions in addition to that could put it higher.

10. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Equalizing touchdowns are worth extra match rating as well. So a game that went 1-0, 1-1, 2-1 are worth more than games that went 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, despite the end result being the same.

11. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    Interesting news - it seems that BebopVox has forfeited out the tournament. The TGS unofficial site has given AJ a free pass for next week.

12. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Whoops, I've spoilered the video (bit late) but that;s not an ideal solution. Oh well it'll do

13. DeathSquire36

DeathSquire36 New Member

Country Flag:
    Bebop's mother died a week or two ago, so he forfeited his last two matches since he had to fly overseas and wouldn't be around.

14. UltrasmurfsCoach

UltrasmurfsCoach New Member

Country Flag:
    Well crendor makes the finals! Hurrah for the Lizardmen! On brighter news, Jesse can finally uninstall BB like has wanted to do for the last 2 months :p

15. raikaria

raikaria Member

Country Flag:
    I daresay Ranil is the scariest player I have ever seen in BB. She was bad enough with +1 ST, but then Jesse goes and rolls +1 AG too!

Dem +2 dodge rolls man.

16. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    Oh god. So much pain. SO MUCH PAIN. After a semi-passable game against AJ... argh. I'm still twitching at some of Jessie's moves.

Some better positioning and some leaps and he could've won that. Crendor's play was solid and unremarkable, and some passing and leaping would've trashed him.

At least we no longer have to suffer his whining... I'm just looking forward to TB vs Sidestrafe. Not necessarily because it'll be exciting (Sidestrafe games tend to be so tedious...) but because that's the only one that matters for the playoffs at this point.

17. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Ok finally watched Jesse vs Crendor.

As is said above Crendor is pretty solid, but not perfect. He needs to protect the ball better and really advance in a cage vs elves. A few times in previous games he has unnecessarily left the ball vulnerable.

But yeah a 8457 wardancer is just deadly and could easily have won him the game. I probably would have taken str and agi pots for the other wardancer as well with the extended inducements on. and tried for another agi 5 or str 4 wardancer. 5 RR is too many.

It is a shame Jesse hates the game, he has got a vague idea what he is doing, but does not know the rules at all (or how to leap with a wardancer)

now the playoffs. Crendor should win it really bar a nuffling.

18. Pollution

Pollution Member

Country Flag:
    Anyone know what the deal is with TGS League? It's been 2 weeks since the last game, and that was the only one for Wk7. Still missing TB's game, Dodger's Game, etc....

I know things got screwy for a bit due to peeps out of town/country here and there, but unless I'm mistaken the last week 6 game was a month ago or so.

(and yes, I know BebopVox is out due to death in the family, but it's been seriously lacking lately)

Did they just decide NOT to finish the series?

19. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Crendor and Jesse played their week 7 match and according to Crendor's week 7 round-up Dodger has played too she just hasn't uploaded. TB-Sidestrafe still hasn't been played and TB is probably still scrambling around with HotS stuff.

20. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhIw5zGsEqY]TGS Blood Bowl Playoffs - Crendor vs Angry Joe (Skittles Time to Shine) - YouTube[/ame]

I've not watched it yet, thought I'd share in case others are at a loose end right now. Thread slipped all the way back to page 4!

Remember to use the spoiler tags (magic wand button in the reply box) if you are going to talk about what happened!