1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Decision Thread

Discussion in 'Big Crunch' started by Fallowheart, Nov 4, 2013.

?

Decisions, decisions...

1. Stick!

31.8%
  2. Underworld (specify which theme in post)

45.5%
  3. Necromantic (specify theme)

9.1%
  4. Reboot

13.6%
  1. Fallowheart

Fallowheart Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    Welcome.

It's nearly decision time, and I am looking at options for my Big Crunch Team.

Option 1) Stick. Crush of Night are perpetually giving away games, and have suffered consistent permanent injury with a middling record. Still, I feel that for how much I love Dark Elves I should give them a fair shake. 2 seasons isn't a huge amount of time, and they have some bright spots, but they are few.

[​IMG]

Option 2) Reroll Underworld. Theme would be either a re-hash of 'The Rain Blows Connection' (see thread in this forum or my teams in CTA), or something to do with a volunteer police or firefighters brigade... (not fully fleshed out).

Option 3) Reroll Necromantic. Themes i'm thinking of 'Recipe for Disaster' celebrity chefs gone dead, 'That's what she said'... things that 'she' might say ;), or something to do with insane suburbanites.

Option 4) Reboot. Not to be confused with option 1, this option rerolls Dark Elf and changes some things. a) no runner. he leaves the pitch faster than sticky-buns at fat-camp; b) no assassins, or early assassins. where i'm at now they are just a big target without blodge/sidestep. c) sure hands dedicated player, no PASS skill. This was taken as an 'option' and become the only one. that's bad. time to go back to basics. Limiting myself to 2-3 AV7 (witch/one assassin), and focusing on running the ball will help my game. Doing this currently is cost-prohibitive and I'm not disciplined enough not to use the pass skill currently. (I might have more passes than most and it costs me games using rerolls on it).

*take 2. seriously i'm losing my f*cking marbles.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    I vote necro, but that MIGHT have something to do with them as my favorite team. Dark elves are a close second though. The theme could be a family gathering, including the dead relatives!

Then any zombie you make could be "adopted" into the family...

3. Phunbaba

Phunbaba Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Phunbaba
    Country Flag:
    Still like the Recipe for Disaster theme.

4. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    a 3 blitzer, 1 Witch elf reroll might give you what you're looking for. Buy the apo, then the 4th blitzer, then reroll.

Limits you to 1 AV7, with starting dodge....she'll make a strong runner in the first few games to get block/wrestle and then tackle.

meanwhile the blitzers will run in a handful of SPPs and can pick up dodge or hopefully stats.

I will say though, MOST of my vote for this comes from just not being all that wowed by the themes....recipe for disaster is alright, but i've heard "that's what she said" enough times growing up that the phrase just annoys me now. And rain blows connection feels more appropriate for pure bash like orc or Khemri.

5. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I vote stick. Give them one more season before throwing in the towel.

6. Fallowheart

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, I've been reaching lately. Mostly I just don't feel all that inspired, and the 'brigade' idea I had for a team that runs a restaurant as service and kitchen staff is hitting me as too contrived. (Maitre de, sommolier, garde manger, saucier, waiters, etc).

The necro themes are thin. Underworld as muppets makes sense tome though... Can't agree with you there.

3 blitz + witch might be a good start.

7. G20

G20 Member

Country Flag:
    Anything but DE.

8. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kazman29
    Country Flag:
    I voted underworld - best theme and I'm sticking with it. You don't want to do dark elves, do you? Twice I've tried the 1 witch 3 blitzer starting roster and it's failed in a big way, though that might be due to me not protecting players the way I should. Underworld Blitzers are %@$#ing deadly, but you have to be patient until they get skilled up. Actually, you'll have to be patient the first season or two about just winning games....

9. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Your description of option four makes it sound more like you should be playing high elves. They have more AV8, and their AV7 skills faster.

So I'll just vote for 1, and sacking all the albatrossing cripples.

10. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    Everyone loves Underworld. Especially a team themed around the muppets. Miss Piggy the troll.

11. pupkinus

pupkinus Member

Country Flag:
    I second Nikolai's opinion. You should find a team that suits your play style. You definitely sound like a prospective HiE coach. Embrace the pass :) AV8, throwers with pass & safe throw! come on! join the ranks of the higher race :D

12. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    I voted Necro because I think you will enjoy it the most. Not to be rude or anything but it takes a certain attitude to coach Underworld and not fold like a house of cards in a car wash when things go south. Yes, when. And this is a perpetual league ;)

And 'recipe for disaster' sounds like a nice theme.

13. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    The troll would be Fozzy Bear. Because he'll Wakka Wakka all over the competition

14. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    I would think the troll would be Sweetums. Miss piggy would be a blitzer for sure, shes violent enough. But i still say necro. They have everything but passing.

15. Fallowheart

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    I am fully aware of how difficult it would be to win with UW. I have played some games with them. I mean, their positional is a lineman from another team... They have specific limitations and will have 'that one game'... Which may last an entire season. But they are tier 2 with stunties, expecting to win easily would be completely retarded.

I hate high elves. They look like chaos dwarves in skirts with those stupid hats. I'll play dwarves before high elves.

The troll is sweetums. Fozzy is a born blitzer.

16. Barmution

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, my point was that you've got to stomach a lot of lumps if you choose to go with Uwd. No time for being depressed about losing a match due to a couple of 3+ rolls that went crap or getting beaten senseless by Orcs. The only real reference I got for my impression here is your Dark Elf blog and you seem to have a knack for focusing on the negative (at least in that blog). That makes me think you would cope better with Necro.

17. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I voted for reboot, but I think sticking is also a fair option. In my experience, assassins can be really hit or miss. They can completely ruin your opponent's day with some successful stabs, or with shadowing (especially when the other guy forgets about shadowing, because no one EVER does that...). They are also 90K meatbags with AV7 and no defensive skills at all, and because of how your positionals shake out, you are almost forced to put them on the LoS (especially if you have players out). Either that, or have your blitzers get punched. So I have yet to take an assassin on any of the DaE teams I've run. Furthermore, whenever I've played against a DaE team fielding assassins, I generally did quite well.

Once again, not to say they can't be used effectively... But sadly I just can never find room for them on my teams, in large part because DaE are already bloaty to begin with, and I am loathe to bloat them even more with an expensive AV7 lino who has some exotic skills.

My favorite starting roster is 3 blitzers + witch elf (2 RR). It gives you one AV7 player to field, and you can threaten the sidelines with frenzy. You can also burn RR that you don't have with blockelss frenzy, but the witch giveth and she taketh away. She does give you a dodging player to start with, and in the early going I find her more useful than a runner.

The other roster I consider viable is the "safe" 4 blitzers + runner roster. I won't rehash the merits of that roster (I think coach discusses them at great length), but I inevitably end up taking Pass as the runner's first skill. Except one time I took leader (on Additional Pylons). I have regretted that choice ever since - a cheap RR is nice, but not on a player who is a strong gust of wind away from going to the infirmary.

Anyway, stream of consciousness aside, if you like dark elves, either stick with the team you've got and try to retool it, or reboot and avoid things you didn't like the first time around.

18. Fallowheart

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    It's funny but I started thinking about this very same thing after your comment. I see my mistakes and failures a lot larger than my successes for sure. At the same time, and I've discussed this at length in my blog, there is a very strong sense that I 'should win' with the dark elves. That perception colors my impressions of the team and when small mistakes magnify into losses (double 1 unnecessary pass costs me a reroll needed later in the turn, followed up a block with a screening player and got my carrier sacked after he was too easily cleared, or like my last game, double one pass scatters into the clear when I have a nice screen on the opposite side of my opponent, etc) I let my emotions get the better of me. Our game from BC is a great example, trying to impress you with conservative and risk-adverse play ended up meaning I didn't TRY for the ball-pickup when I had the chance because the last time we played you commented on how I was too ball-hungry and that sometimes marking is the better play. I played too safe and tied... not only that, but at some point I should have tried to give myself a couple of turns to score back and let you in rather than on the last turn. these are the things I remember with perfect clarity, so they make it to the blog.

long point, but I don't feel the same pressure with underworld. it's like playing Khemri and not being able to pick up the ball... yeah, that sh*t's going to happen when you play with agility 2.

anyway, this is the roster for RBC.

[​IMG]

obviously i'd be restarting.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  19. Barmution

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Well, if you can focus on the fun aspects and roll with the blows then you can have a great time with Uwd for sure. I'm also liking your names.

20. Remthar

Remthar Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Oi! You take that back! How dare you compare us with dwarves of any kind!

On topic, you sound like you're most interested in underworld to me. If the Delfs are stressing you, a more laid back run with a less competitive, but fun team might be the way to go.