1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Decline of the Decliners

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Hoverdog, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Hoverdog

Hoverdog Active Member

Country Flag:
    I decided to share my another team, The Decliners, playing now their second season in Codex Cup.
    The Decliners were my first team in BB (I started it right after I had bought the game, I've just played some matches in single player), and it showed - I had a really really bad roster with NO rerolls:confused::confused::eek::eek: and only three warriors.
    However, Nuffle was kind to me and so I managed to win my first match against vampires (that were mostly injuring themselves) and draw against woodies (pretty battered) before buying my very first reroll. Then it went more smoothly, with a draw against Mico's tomb kings, ogres (immortal snotlings are the theme of my life), losing against high tv chaos and lizzies, winning against amazons and experienced necros with a turn 16 TD, and in the last game of the group stage, again drawing with some really battered orcs (they were losing a player to death or serious injury in almost every match- and the same happened this time with his +1AG blitzer mortally impaled by a pestigor!). Overall result 3-4-2 gave me access to the play-offs from the fourth and final spot.
    I was up against winners of the western group, Norsemen, in the quarterfinals. It was 1-1 on turn 16, and as he received first, he had the ball. But his runner got cunningly chain-surfed, and with norse armor breaking the way it does, he was
    pretty much out of players. My chaos warrior scored the winning TD.
    In the semifinals my opponent was Moss (who's now playing in the CCVI) with another Nurgle team. He won the toss - and that is probably all that is need to be said. I managed to sack his ballcarrier several times in the first half, but to no avail. In the second my beast was KOed (and didn't get back), yet I scored. In the overtime I was on defence yet again, but this time couldn't really do anything. I lost 1-2 in what turned out to be the finals, as the other semifinalists couldn't play in 3 weeks or so.

There are only 10 teams in the fourth season of Codex Cup, so it's only one group. Fresh orcs were my first opponent. I scored without any problems. Second half, I sacked the lone ballcarrier on my half, but couldn't pick up the ball with my dodge+SH pest. He blitzes with his thrower. Dodge passed. :pow: . Broken Neck. Regeneration failed.:mad::mad: And poor Peter was just one SPP from his third skill:( . Also another pestigor (only 5SPP) got -ag, and a rotter failed his gfi to score second on T16, but I won 1-0.
    Second match - ogres - the same with whom I drew a season earlier. This time they had a AG3 strong arm ogre, who was down several times, but still managed to make a TD on turn8. I scored quickly, hoping to get the ball and win. I even got a blitz! Then, of course, the curse of immortal snotlingness happened and I couldn't sack a snot with a block warrior, a tackle rotter :)bothdown: resulted in a happy snot and a stunned rotter) and a fresh pest. When I thought all is lost, the poor snotling got snakeeyes on dodge to score:D . Oh, and I forgot to mention that the ogres had +22 on 2d6.

My team currently looks like this:

Chris Priestly - Beast of Nurgle, Block, Pro 20 SPPs
    Pete Hines - Warrior, Block, Mighty Blow, Guard 37 SPPs
    David Gaider - Warrior, Block, Mighty Blow, Guard 38 SPPs
    Todd Howard - Warrior, Guard, Block, 24 SPPs
    Something Awesome! Button - Rotter, Dirty Player, 9 SPPs
    Lucas Molyneux - Pestigor, Block, 14 SPPs
    Jennifer Hepler - Pestigor, Dodge, 7 SPPs
    Bobby Kotick - Pestigor, Dodge, Block, +AG, 35 SPPs
    Cleve Blakemore - Pestigor, Wrestle 11 SPPs
    Cover - Rotter, 2 SPPs
    Dialogue Wheel - Rotter, Tackle, Wrestle, 20 SPPs
    Trash Mobs - Rotter, 0 SPPs
    Ray Muzyka - Warrior, Block, Mighty Blow, Diving Tackle, 31 SPPs

3 RRs, 170k in bank.

On retirement:
    Peter Molyneux - Pestigor, Dodge, Sure Hands, 30 SPPs, -AG; 1 MVP, 8 Touchdowns, 1 Pass
    Mike Laidlaw - Pestigor, 5 SPPs, Broken Neck; 1 MVP
    66 - Rotter (ex-wood elf), 5 SPPs; 1 MVP
    Unlimited Ammo - Rotter

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    Good to see The Decliners getting their own blog. Looking forward to our match too. :D

3. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    What is the Codex Cup? Is it a Polish only league? ;)

4. Hoverdog

Hoverdog Active Member

Country Flag:
    nope, it's a league on rpgcodex.net - the greatest hive of scum and villainy on the internet.

5. Hoverdog

Hoverdog Active Member

Country Flag:
    Third match is history. I was playing against a novice player with a new human team, already battered (goblins killed an ogre).
    I scored quickly, then was close to getting the ball back in 6th, but instead had to defend (successfully) against Griff Oberwald. Second half, all KOed humies come back. I misplace the kick by one square and it comes as a touchback. Griff gets the ball, but fails a gfi (with sure feet!) and a bug of sorts happen, making the game unresponsive. :mad: My opponent decides to concede defeat.
    Of course TD and MVP go to a rotter :mad: and he rolls doubles :mad: - so here's my question: what to get for a tackle rotter who got 5+5 on level-up?
    also, David Gaider has level three and rolls normal. Mighty Blow, Claw, or maybe tackle?

6. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Mighty blow on both? :D

Possibly waste the double on the rotter and take wrestle there.

7. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Am I right in thinking these players are named after things you want to see killed and/or maimed?

8. Hoverdog

Hoverdog Active Member

Country Flag:
    It is indeed so, Johnny my boy!

9. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    Since we're playing against each other pretty soon, I shall refrain from giving You advice on these skills, and instead will just warn You against making some obviously bad choices.

Do not, I repeat: DO NOT take Guard on the Nurgle Warrior. Guard sucks. :skull:

On the Rotter, Diving Tackle would be a waste of the double. Really, who would want to place their own player prone for a pathetic -2 to oppponent's dodge roll. :rolleyes:

10. Hoverdog

Hoverdog Active Member

Country Flag:
    An update: my match with a necro team didn't work out, due to my opponent's problems with router. I got an adminned win, with MVP on two warriors (Ray and Pete) and TDs for Lucas the pest and Dialogue Wheel (that's one hell of a rotter). No level-ups.

My today's match was against Moss's Goblins. He got a whooping 690k inducements, as his troll got killed in his previous match. Moss took Ripper, a guard troll, a babe and three bribes.
    I played badly in the first half, allowing gobbos to score in turn 4, and failing to get a TD later (needed a 3+ dodge with a RR, a pick-up and two gfis, tripping on the dodge of course). The only good thing was that Chris Priestly killed a looney (dead apoth'd to dead, standard goblin fare), which netted him enough spps to reach level 3.
    Second half was much better, with a really big mess in the center. Goblins started to drop and Bobby Kotick ran uninterfered to score. Then Charles Darwin the troll blitzed Something Awesome! Button. The button was pressed and something awesome happened - :bothdown::bothdown: and the troll fell dead :D He had his hip smashed earlier, but regenerated that one. Poor Moss must now carry on without any trolls.
    the match ended 1-1. Lucas Molyneux got MVP and a level. Bobby Kotick got a level too, and rolled 5+6!! :) so it's AG time. Priestly rolled his second double too!

11. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    Wow, that makes Lucas Molyneux Your first Pestigor not to roll a double on his first level up... :skull:

This is damn ridiculous! :powdodge:

12. Hoverdog

Hoverdog Active Member

Country Flag:
    yes, I was pretty disappointed :D

13. Hoverdog

Hoverdog Active Member

Country Flag:
    This blog sure needs an update.

Three more matches played: won against Mico (he wrote a report on his blog), 2-1 against a human team, and now Decliners have defeated, again 2-1, a chaos team.
    I made a big mistake (moved my player rather than blitzed), which my opponent promptly took advantage of, but then he made an even bigger one - forgot to kick when I stil had two turns to score. And score I did. Then I made an easy TD in the second.
    Also I had a bit better casualty rolls
    [​IMG]

14. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    See You in the final. :D