1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Disappointing Defeats of Devious Darkblades - CC

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by kvasilad, May 22, 2012.

1. kvasilad

kvasilad Member

Country Flag:
    Hi all,

I'm a fairly inexperienced coach, having never played the TT game, and only really started playing after LE came out. I have about 70 games to my name in total now. I've got some of the basics down through playing Chaos, but wanted to try an AG team to understand more of the game. Dark Elves seemed to be the most logical choice, as they are able to at least inflict some damage on a good day, and often rely on the running game which I'm most familiar with.

Now, I've been having a blast with them so far, it's great fun to have an ag4 team, but I'm obviously not very adept at this playstyle yet. My W-D-L record of 0-1-4 from CCVIII tells the whole story of an agility team in the hands of a bashy coach. After reading a few of these team blogs, I felt compelled to create my own in the hope that I might get some helpful tips and criticism of poor choices made, of which I'm sure there are plenty.

I plan to do short write-ups of my games in CCIX, while asking questions about what I should do and/or should have done. I'll also post replays of my games, in the hope that someone might skim through them and comment on a few mistakes or suggest alternate tactics that might have been better in a given situation... as well as point and laugh at the obvious blunders, of course :)

In short, my goal is to absorb some of the vast knowledge I know permeates these bords, and hopefully provide some modest entertainment in the process.

Now, the lineup so far:
    Runner (+MA)
    Blitzer (+MA)
    Blitzer (Guard)
    Blitzer
    Blitzer
    Lineman (Kick)
    Lineman (Dodge)
    Lineman (Dodge)
    Lineman (Dodge)
    Lineman

3xRR, apothecary, 2ff

So that should put me at 1220 + a loner which means 1290.

I am already faced with my first dilemma for CCIX:
    My treasury currently stands at 150k, which is of course enough for either a couple of linos, a witch elf or an assassin.. or maybe even runner/lino. I'm leaning towards getting the witch elf straight away, but I could also wait for a game and get a WE + a lino to get a bench. Loners are, after all, quite useful for this team. Thoughts?

Looking at my roster, do feel free to provide some more long-term input as to how I might develop a few key roles as well. I guess strip ball and/or tackle on at least one guy is high on the list, as well as probably a sidestepper or two.

If anyone is so inclined, here are the replays of my CCVIII games as well as the Crunched games of last season. I would very much appreciate insightful musings, constructive critcism and even downright mockery, as long as it's vaguely topical :D

CCVIII d1 Bone Headed Guys 2 - 0 Devious Darkblades
    CCVIII d2 TV Chief Chefs 2 - 0 Devious Darkblades
    CCVIII d3 Devious Darkblades 0 - 2 Men in Drag
    CCVIII d4 Sigurd and the Hammerers 1 - 1 Devious Darkblades
    CCVIII d5 Devious Darkblades 0 - 2 Undead Weight

Crunched VIII d1 Devious Darkblades 3 - 2 Moot Points
    Crunched VIII d2 Devious Darkblades 1 - 2 Standard Deviations

2. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Your team is coming along nicely. I do find dark elves a bit slow sometimes so having two +mv players helps a lot. Plus a blitzer with guard is just great.

I would develop the runner you have as a real runner now he has +mv and get dodge and block next, then maybe Sidestep and fend.

I would get a witch elf for your next game they are one of the best players in the game. When your first one has got 1 skill (block or wrestle) then get a 2nd one and patrol the sidelines.

Will have to have a look at some of your replays and see if I can suggest anything. I am getting back into dark elves now in MM, nice to have ag 4, 4 block players and av8.

3. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    One of the keys to a dark elf team is don't get discouraged. They're a fine team, but they just need a little patience for the experience they need to get there. Being a coach who plays his AG teams bashy, once you get your witches in place you'll love the team pretty quick.

One thing about Loners: they're good eatin'. Since they're not going to be on the team until they get SPP's and you can afford to hire them full time, don't be afraid to use them as a speed bump to stop your opponent's more destructive pieces. ("Don't worry, we'll send help!");)

As far Assassins go, they're a hit or miss. I can never stab someone right, even low AV players, but shadowing works every time for an average MV Assassin. Well below average stabbing, well above average shadowing... eh, it works. :)

It's a great team to play for bashy coaches, and you're going to have a blast with them. Just give them some time to grow into their own. :)

4. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    I'm an even newer player but I've been playing DE a lot to practice with them since that's what I've signed up for the upcoming Crunch Cup. Here's a few things I've picked up that probably apply to all AG4 teams at still low TV, not just DE.

Never underestimate an AG4 player's ability to dodge, even without dodge skill. (Of course still do everything that doesn't require a roll first.)

Unskilled linos, loners or not, are good fodder. These are often the only players I leave in base contact at the end of a turn that's gone according to plan (sometimes I leave a few others in very favorable positions for the next turn block, sometimes I can get the linos dodged away too.)

I don't do as much marking of other players as I would if I were more bashy, I mark places on the pitch I don't want the opponent to move past (screens I suppose.) This works great to screen your ball carrier on offense and limit the advancement of their ball carrier/cage/catchers on defense, and limimt the block attempts opponents get to make against you.

On their turn, they'll generally get a few blocks on your linos, 1 blitz on someone else, and then try to mark you up...

Then on your turn you just make a few key blocks that you've setup to be heavily in your favor, and the rest dodge away from their markers, starting with the most critical moves and/or ones most likely to succeed and down the line. Each turn you just move your screen again to limit how far/much the opponent can move, and how many blocks they can get in (often I seem to manage for them to only get 1 blitz block attempt per turn and no others.)

It's worked a treat for me and you look well developed to use this tactic with all those dodge skill linemen.

5. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Remember you don't have to have a lino in base contact to stop a slow team player. Just being right in front might means risky dodges they won't try. If you have a screen then its better. So put in contact only when its really important. Every block on a Armor 7 or 8 might be the last he suffers... but even AV 9 players shouldn't be in contact if not necessary.

DElves are a counter intuitive team in some senses... they don't work like other elves. Witches definitely change the game style. You can bash... I bash with High Elves... but that is not their strong point. Remember that round thing.

I'd get a wrestle lino... not only for the occasional LOS duty... but if your witches are busy he can be a last ditch safety (safety is guy that is the last line of defense to stop ball carriers from passing to End Zone).

6. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Ok just watched you vs the standard deviations.

Was a tough game as you got 3 cas in the first half, but that happens sometimes.

Anyway the key when playing an ag4 team vs an ag3 team is you go for the ball. Agility rolls with ag 3 are dangerous. A 3+ with a RR is 89% success, so you need to force as many of those as you can.

On defense going for the ball means breaking the cage. If a cage corner is in contact with one of your players then you have a chance of doing a normal block to open up the cage then using your blitz action to knock over the player with the ball. And ball on the floor is when elves really shine.

In the first half on T4,T5,T6 AND T7 he managed to have a cage corner in contact with one of your players. On T5 you nicely opened up the cage, then had the chance of a 2+ dodge, 2+ gfi for a TWO DICE block on the ball carrier with your blitzer. Thats great odds that the ball ends up on the deck. Instead you blitz some unrelated player.

In the 2nd half I am not a huge fan of a half cage on teh sidelines. I would have put 2 men on the blitzer then converged on the cage.

In the 2nd half you managed to put your kicker in the wide zone, but got a great kick anyway. Again you failed to pressure the ball in your first turn. You also had a shot at surfing the str4 blitzer as well. Could not see anything better than two 1d blocks looking for a :pushback: but I think it was worth a shot.

Sending lots of players to mark the deep blitzer was not so useful that turn either. Humans moving the ball the length of the field in 1 turn is possible, but very risky, so I would have not marked the blitzer or at best single marked him and invited the humans to pretend they are elves, which is not safe at all.

After he failed teh handoff you did the right thing and went for the ball. What I would ahve done is sent the first blitzer to the side away from the ball, then blitz with the 2nd one, then with the :pushback: you got it would be a 2+ to pick up the ball not a 3+

Then once you got the ball and formed a scrum you probably kept too many players deep. Ball on the floor is elfball time, you need to steal and keep it and score. Sometimes you will need more players for that. I would have commited more players downfield.

T13 you had a chance to blitz the ball 1d again, I think with a blitzer. Those are golden opportunities for elves.

In general if you have a chance of a 1d with a player wiht block or a 2d by a player without (or prefrably with) block on the ball carrier you should almost always take it. Sometimes your opponent will not get 1s and 2s, and you will struggle, but force enough 3+ agility rolls and you will get rewarded in the long term.

In this game you were a bit unlucky, both with the cas and your opponent getting away with a lot of agility rolls, so it would be a struggle anyway, but you can always make it harder.

BTW what did you take for inducements? From the loading screen it looks like you should have been able to take more than the 2 babes you actually took. Wizards are awesome for agility 4 teams, you use them on the X cage and it will almost always give you a chance to hit the ball carrier or get the ball.

7. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Nice to see a new Dark Elf blog!

I started playing them fairly recently and I'm not as experienced as some other coaches out there, but here are a few random things on the top of my head I learnt from that:

- remember you can pick-up/pass/catch with any of your players. This is a huge advantage over non-elf teams and allows you to try and spread SPP around, which is much better than 3 star players and a bunch of rookies

- you can reliably run the ball or play a passing game. I personally lean towards the second option most of the time but it is down to your preference and the circumstances. Offense shouldn't be an issue as a pass followed by a hand-off with any players allows you to cover most of the pitch and is very difficult to stop (except maybe for Nurgle), defense requires more practice.

- Side Step is an awesome skill. Blodge/SS or Wrodge/SS is what will make a good defence allowing you to stall/swamp a slower opponent.

- Dodger sums up very well how to play the blocking game with them. Dodge a few players to assist the ones who will block.

- for good setups, browse through Danton's blog, I bow to his wisdom. :)

- as with any agility team, when the dice turn against you, it can be a disaster. Some games your team will be wiped away while failing everything you try, but don't let it dishearten you, once you have the basic skills you have a good chance against any other race.

My humble two cents, hope it helps. Good luck with the Darkies!

8. kvasilad

kvasilad Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the input everyone!

I think I'll postpone my purchasing decision until I see what match-up I get in the first round of CCIX. My thinking so far is that if I go up against a bashy team like dwarfs, chaos or orcs, I'll probably just take the loner for that game. If I meet elves or maybe vampires(!) I'll probably take the WE first.

Etheric, I very much appreciate so much specific feedback on a replay, thank you! I will re-watch this game with your list at hand as soon as I have the time, and will probably learn a lot from that. I cannot remember that I ever had a good shot at a 2d block on the carrier without taking it, so I must not have realized it at all, that's going to be very interesting to see. You also point out several specific, tactical plays I would probably not have considered, so that's simply great for me to expand my playbook. As for the kicker on the wing, I was facepalming just seconds after I ended the setup phase :)

As for the inducements, I was at TV 1070 + 2 loners, which put me at 1210 against his 1320. So I couldn't take the wizard, and went for 2 babes. I briefly considered a bribe and a babe, still not sure what I'll take next time I have 100k at my disposal.

9. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    It was T5 as I recall. He put his Str4 guy in contact with your player and was also a cage corner.

You moved two blitzers down from the left (looking from behind the dark elves) to provide two assists and managed to KO the guy on a 2d block. This gave you 1 player next to the thrower to provide an assist after following up the block. His other blitzer on the other cage corner did not have guard, and was marked up too so could not provide a an assist to the thrower. Then you had the blitzer marked up on the right (I think by the ogre). With a 2+ dodge to escape and a single GFI he could have blitzed the thrower as I recall it, but possibility you should double check how much move it would take.

With ag 4 across the board and above average speed there is really some crazy stuff you can pull off with elves if you can see it.

Any time he puts one of the cage corners in contact with one of your players your first thought has to be can I use this to get a blitz on the ball carrier.

10. kvasilad

kvasilad Member

Country Flag:
    Right, I watched the replay, and I did indeed have a shot at a 2d block at the ball carrier :eek:

Anyway, I'm facing the Green Nationals, an orc team at comparable TV, so no inducements either way I think. He's got 4 lvl 2 blitzers with guard, tackle, MB, MB. Luckily, one of his black orcs are out, but he's still got one with block.

All in all, it will probably be a bloody game for me, and I'm thinking I'll rather throw a loner elf at these guys than try to do anything with a fresh witch and more than likely get her killed or injured in the first game.

11. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    One thing I find with Darkies is I'm quite fond of having expendable players to put in front of my less-expendable ones, so keeping the loner isn't a bad thing at all for me. I try not to do anything that requires a dice roll with them, but they are a sacrificial lamb on the LOS on defence and an assist on offence, so you can really make them work for you if you're disciplined enough to make sure you always know where they are and give them no chances to fail. Once you're out of rerolls they are as good as any elf too, so if that happens they are suddenly not a loner anymore in a pinch.

Also in my opinion there's no rush for the Witch. The longer you wait the more equipped the team will be to protect her so there's an argument to buy the reroll before you add her. In the short term, an extra reroll adds more to the team than she does for me, as a frenzying witch can be a turnover machine. Obviously with her being AV7 the temptation is there to reroll failures that put her on the floor. 4 for me is the right number, and runners can get so many nice skills I'd rather buy one than go three plus leader. Particularly with you being newer to dark elves I'd recommend this approach as there's just so many things you might need to save that reroll for.

Good luck with the Orcs. Spread your players out and try to spread those Orcs out. On offence be prepared to switch from flank to flank. I like to stack to one side and threaten to focus heavily on one flank, but make sure I have receiving options on the other flank and cross the field easily with a handoff. The opponent can either commit to the flank you're focusing on, and risk being caught out, or not, in which case your extra numbers should allow you to break through.

12. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Yeah orcs weakness is they are slow. Orcs strength of course is that they are strong, have lots of block and av9 all round.

The good news for you is that he has not got a lot of guard. Which will make blocking back a lot easier for you.

On Defense what you want to do is do normal elf defense, with collums 2 deep with 2 squares between, then give up at most one square per turn. You don't want to give him too many blocks, especially the MB players, so unless you are making a play for the ball you don't want any players in base to base contact with any of his players on their feet. If you can block your way free, or use your blitz to free up a player or dodge back. Generally dodging back is the worst option as it has no upside. If you block you can knock them over (and they spend most of their move getting up again) or better: If you dodge then you either make it or go splat. Breaking AV9 is hard though, so don't expect to get too many orcs off the pitch (but if you do, then the total lack of orc speed can really hurt).

As before if he parks a cage corner against one of your players then you have an opportunity. You can block away the corner and then get at least 1D on the ball carrier. He has no guard so as long as you mark up all potential assists you will get 1D. As with all 1d blocks, you need to use a blitzer as they are very dangerous otherwise.

Offense is less of a problem. As Barn said you can stack one side and switch if he moves over, and switch back if needed. You have a lot more speed and mobility so you should be ok. You do have to be a bit careful on offense that you do not score too quickly (less of a problem with dark elves than other elves) and give too much time for your opponent to score back in the same half (which would put you the wrong end of a classic 2-1 grind result).

The key to playing elves though is always think BALL, can you get to it? If the ball is on the ground you can try to push players into it as well to scatter it to a better position as well (can be risky).

An example from dode
    Blood Bowl - Leaping Dark Elves - YouTube

Ball scatters from being in 4 tackle zones (pretty much impossible ot pick up) into 1. Hopefully it does not take something this complicated to set up normally though.

Anyway as long as you realise you always have a chance to get to the ball carrier if he parks a cage corner in base to base contact with one of your players then that is improvement :D. Sometimes it is too hard break the cage like that, but stealing the ball and scoring a defense touchdown is the best thing as elves :D.

13. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    If you surf and bash enough players his cage grinds to a stop just the same... :cool:

Elves can hit... they just can't take the hits back. So make sure the enemy is not standing up. Dodge is not only to get away from dangerous players... but to make sure you get assists in the right place for those 2 die blocks.

Mobility means you chose when there will be a lot of player contact. If you can isolate or leave behind a lot of his team... then you have a local number advantage and can start bashing better too.

14. kvasilad

kvasilad Member

Country Flag:
    Well, my defence has improved quite a bit I think. I chose to kick, and quickly set up columns two deep two apart. Granted, I had some fine dice in the first half, but I managed to prevent him from advancing. Towards the end, he started to get careless, and left his carrier exposed enough for me to bust in there and blitz him. I even managed to sneak away with the ball (T7), but there was little I could do to score. 0-0 first half.

Now, the second half is where I really fell apart. I got hold of the ball and put up a cage, tried to move from side to side, tried to keep potential dangers on opposite sides, tried to blitz where I might spot a hole, but I got nowhere. According to BBM, I had 2/17 inflicted armour rolls, which is a bit unlucky I suppose, but you can't really expect to do much against AV9 without Claw/MB. At any rate, I could not find any holes to pop through, and he got increasingly aggressive, leaving a lot of players in base contact with mine at the end of his turns. I got some free blocks, but could not realistically block them all (as far as I could see), so I had to dodge a few. Eventually, luck ran out, and I no longer managed to avoid base contact at the end of my turns. It got to a point where the Orcs dominated the field, and I made one futile desperate run as a last resort. Not unexpectedly, it didn't last, and he blitzed the carrier and got the ball. Unfortunately, with my team so decimated at this point, I was unable to stop him scoring in turn 15.

So there you have it... judging from that match, it seems like I need some offensive tips :)

Replay:
    CCIX d1 Devious Darkblades 0 - 1 Green Nationals

Luckily, and unbelievably, I escaped the brawl with no permanent injuries. My loner got MVP, so I ended up buying him. I also rolled a whopping 80k winnings, so I'm now at a full 11-man roster and 160k to spare. No levels this time.

In my next round, I face Pimpin' Ain't Easy, a chaos team with the newly acquired Minotaur Pimp Lucius. I'm unsure about whether to buy a witch or not (again). His team is now 1510 TV while mine is 1290 with the full 11. This means a wizard and a babe as inducements if I hold on to my money for another round, but I don't get the WE and the bench which I may sorely need. If I do get the witch, I could still get two babes as inducements I suppose. Thoughts on this?

15. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    2/17 is about right for AV9. 3/17 is more likely but orcs are tough. 3/18 assuming you did not hit a thrower is average.

Looks like you are improving anyway, will try to have a look at the replay tonight. Orcs can be difficult to break down for sure. You have 2 mv 8 players which should give you a big speed advantage, but if your opponent positions well then you have a problem.

If the pimps don't have much tackle I would get the witch. It gives you another mv 7 player, and again you have to use your speed to get around all the str 4.

I would say maximising your blocks counts more on defense than on offense. You have less spare players on offense as you need to work an opening AND protect the ball so there is less of a problem with dodging away all the time if you need to. Commiting 2 players for a 2d block instead of dodging 1 away could be the difference between 2 players in the wrong position vs 2 in the right. Having said all that I am not so happy with my dark elf offence myself right now :D.

I found having some mv 8 players a big help when playing orcs, mv 7 is only a bit more than mv 6,

If you found yourself with no players at the end, will have to check the stats and see if you got unlucky or you gave away too many blocks. It is a problem with elves though that once you start going down numbers keeping your players safe becomes harder and harder so it can accelerate.

Anyway will watch the replay tonight if I can and let you know if I come up with anything.

16. FTJUK

FTJUK Member

Country Flag:
    Hi Kvasilad

Just to thow my tuppence in. Agree that your defence in the first half was solid. I struggled to get any momemtum going and this ultimately led to my crappy positioning on my last but one turn trying to set up a possible throwing play. Keep that up and most people will struggle against you.

You might want to think about harrasing the cage a little more as well by knocking out a corner an putting the ball handler in a TZ. Once your blitzers skill up and you get blodge and side-step, they will be a real nuisance and handful. Also this tactic further delays the advance of a bashy team as they need to commit players and possible use a blitz to remove the threat.

The second half I dont think you really comitted your attack in my half one way or the other. Whilst it is difficult against higher strength teams your really want to try and establish a foot hold deep in the oppositions half in the first two turns. The bash team then needs to make a decision to commit or not commit. If committed this should leave lots of space elsewhere on the pitch and you can either switch flanks or throw the ball to an open reciever.

You maybe should have kept your ball handler deep rather than giving it to a Blitzer near the line of scrummage. It was easy for me to keep you hemmed in without needing to committ knowing that you wouldnt really put my team in TZ, thus allowing me some manoeuvrability to respond to you switching flanks. Keeping the ball handler deep also gives you flexability to respond and move to where the space is or is likely to be.

You also had two linemen on one side of your half that could have been rushed forward as possible decoy catchers. I would have had to comitt three to four players to mark these players up if I though the threat was real. This would have then made your task of punching a hole through my lines all that much easier.

Well played though and look forward to our next game. All the best against the pimps.

17. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    This. I have not seen the replay but by the looks of it it seems the elf offense drive was based solely on the cage with no potential receivers sent in deep.

This, among other things, probably cost you the game.

Sometimes sending in receivers may not be easy on the 1st or 2nd turns, but eventually your opponent will have to open ranks in order to ensure support for 2D blocks here and there. That is the moment when you send in scoring threats. Not decoys really since any elf at MA + 2GFI reach of TD is always an actual TD threat.

As ftjuk says this forces the opponent to decide where he/she wants to comitt primarily, i.e. harass the cage or neutralize the TD threats in this case. He can also try both but that would likely mean your opponent is going to stretch a lot or leaving pieces in your TZ ready for you to block next turn, and risking not being successful at any of the two.

Elves usually need to present several progressing threats at the same time (receiving threats, switching flank threats, cages or screens moving forward etc) or they will typically be overun fast.

Imho, offense is much difficult to get right than defense. In defense your goal is very clear and there is a very bright beam of light coming from Nuffle and pointing to it every second. Hard to miss. You are primarily reacting to your opponent moves.

In offense you really need to try and think several steps ahead of your opposition to ensure the ball can be safely moved to his TD line avoiding all perils. It is the curse of the initiative. You have the ball, yes, but you have to actually think about what to do with it :D .

This is specially true with elves!! Bashy teams are always much more unidimensional and their offense is primarily based on caging and getting rid of the opposition, with the ocasional and last resort passing play. With elves you need to present several options of attack to succeed, which may usually be not so trivial to set up properly.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  18. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Ok watched the replay.

You have to be really careful with the 1d blocks by players without block, those are really dangerous. If you have block fair enough, but without it can be nasty.

I would ahve done a few of the blocks differently and probably hit the goblin in T6 with a blitzer.

I would have done a 2d block with a blitzer on the ball carrier t7 as well. I do like what you did with the screen though. After you got the ball he had to use his blitz on the ball carrier so you don't need 2 deep, just one.

The dump off I would ahve done down field as well to an empty square (should be possible if you hit shift when you pass). Then he would have struggled to get it back. Clearly the interception to the blitzing player worked nicely too, but if the dump off had failed it would have made it easyer for him to get the ball. The 2nd GFI after you picked up the ball was also pretty dangerous after you used your RR on the first one.

In the 2nd half I think you missed the mv 8 runner quite a bit, would have freed up your mv 8 blitzer to try and be a receiver. Note you DO NOT need to make an X cage as dark elves vs orcs. Normally a screen works well. Note the GFI on turn 13 that got you in trouble when you failed it was completely unnecessary as well. You had an acceptable screen, and you made a GFI with no RR available to make it an X cage, giving him 2d on the ball carrier.

T9 you had a potential opportunity to break through. Collum defense only works if neither of the people in the collumn are in contact with an opponent. You could have knocked over the lino with a block then blitzed the thrower and swarmed through.

On T10 Swaping back was fine, but you sent too many players possibly. He then overcommits a bit and what you needed was to try to swing back again on T11. You had a load of people in contact then, so some 1d blocks and I think you could have punched a hole as well, just running backwards some more did not help you that much.

T13 you could ahve 1d blocked the guy on the touchline with a blitzer and again sliped through the line around the outside. It would not have been a great position, but time was running out at that point, and just going backwards again did not help much.

T14 from the look if it if you had moved your lino first then it would have been a 2+ dodge to excape with your blitzer rather than the much riskier 3+ 2+ which burned a RR.

T14 maybe you should have stayed a bit more from the touchline. He was going to get a 2d block on you anyway, with the :pushback: having some more space outside you might have made the dodge to escape easier.

T15 was heroball time, I think the best heroball move would ahve been the 3+ 2+ 2+ 2+ (dodge and 2 GFI) to cancel the assists then 1d blitz your guy hoping for a :pushback: or better then a 4+ 2+ to escape (would be 3+ 2+ if you got a :powdodge: or better on the block). Assuming this was not cancelled out by guard, but I htink you had thrower, lino, blitzer in contact, so you move your lino to mark the thrower and lino then blitz the blitzer 1d, and follow up, then try to dodge free. That is actually 25% with a team RR in hand. Hardly great, but there were not that many great options left.

A pass out of 3 tackle zones I suppose was a 5+, or a 46% with the interception chance for a short pass, but that would not have kept the ball that safe. And an interception was a real problem as you found out.

The ball ending up in the crowd might not have been a disaster either, the ball in the crowd can go anywhere and you might get lucky and it ends up somewhere he struggles to pick it up and move it back upfield before time runs out.

With your runner and maybe a witch (a mv 7 dodge player) I think the offense would be easier. As Coachman does not currently have a tackle player (but could take one depending on how the level up goes) I would take the witch in the next game.

19. kvasilad

kvasilad Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks again for all the feedback everyone :)

I learned a lot from watching my last game with your input, and I will surely pick up a few things from watching this one after reading your posts.

The X cage is of course an old habit from playing Chaos, and I'll try to shake that off where applicable when playing elves. Orc blitzers do have MA6 though, so they can actually move a bit. You do raise a good point about keeping my ball carrier deep while prodding his defences, that would've freed up a lot of my players to threaten his flanks at the very least.

I don't see any tacklin' pimps, so I guess I'll go for the witch then :)

20. kvasilad

kvasilad Member

Country Flag:
    So, this was definitely not how I wanted to get my first win in CCIX, but coachman was unfortunately forced to give me a walkover this time due to scheduling difficulties.

The result of this is a free level on a lino, as well as a treasury of 140k to spend AFTER I purchased my witch elf.

My current line-up is then:

Witch Elf
    Runner (+MA)
    Blitzer (+MA)
    Blitzer (Guard)
    Blitzer
    Blitzer
    Lineman (Kick)
    Lineman (Dodge)
    Lineman (Dodge)
    Lineman (Dodge)
    Lineman (Level up, normal roll)
    Lineman

3xRR, apothecary, 2ff, TV 1400

My next match-up is Narly Bird / Jimmy C's Vampire team, Mobile Blood Donations. Now I know Vampires is an underpowered team on average, but I also know Narly is a very skilled coach. On the face of it, those vampires also look pretty dangerous with their 6448 stats and hypnotic gaze, but I guess bloodlust will make things difficult (I hope). I haven't really had any experience playing against vampire teams, so general pointers are welcome. Try to stay away from the vamps and take out the thralls if I can?

His vamps are all level 2, with 2xDodge and 1xBlock and 1xTBD. He's also got a wrestle thrall as well as 2xTBD lvl 2 thralls. Before skills, his TV is at 1250. I guess that makes him end up at a minimum of 1310 TV without rolling doubles?

So, a couple of questions:

1) What skill do I pick for my lino? My hunch is initally yet another dodge, but I'm curious as to whether there are any obvious skills I should have to complement my line-up. Does a lino have any business being built as a ball stripper, or should I reserve my blitzer/witches for that? I guess carrier is out of the question, with MA6 being rather sub-par for darkies.

2) What do I do with 140k? I'm tempted to go for another RR, as 4 is probably where I ultimately want to be. I haven't played a match with my witch yet, but I'm guessing her frenzy is going to eat at least one re-roll each half alone. Another option is of course going for yet another witch, but two unskilled witches is probably more of a liability than an advantage at this point? Another witch also has the unfortunate side-effect of putting him inside wizard range I'm afraid.